Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Walker is what happens when you take the crookedness of Nixon, mix it with the policies of Reagan, give it the intellectual curiosity of W Bush, and then the full financial backing of the Koch brothers.

So you're saying he's going to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

ZenVulgarity posted:

Which is the least hateable Republican candidate that might win primaries

Given: Set of Republicans that might win primaries = [JEB!]

Given: Set of Least Hateable Republican candidates = [NULL]

Answer: !ERROR DIVIDE BY 0

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

KillHour posted:

Luckily he also has the charisma of H W Bush.

The thought of him winning though is outright terrifying and I would gladly take 4 years of literally anyone else in the field than 4 minutes of him as president.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Brannock posted:

That's not even the whole of it either. God I hate Scott Walker so so so so loving much for what he's done to my state.

As someone from Minnesota it's kinda great to watch Wisconsin implode while Minnesota has gone in the opposite direction, but also sad because Wisconsin is a nice place and people from there are good people (excluding during football season).

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

KillHour posted:

It's not the most likely scenario, but 'Jeb flames out, Walker takes the nomination, there's an economic downturn, record low turnout, President-Elect Walker' isn't that unlikely a sequence of events.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Which is the least hateable Republican candidate that might win primaries

Trump 2016!!!

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Walker: God told me

Reminder that there are thousands of elected officials and lawmakers in the United States that pretend to telepathically communicate with a ghost from another dimension before making important policy decisions. Many of these decisions have greatly effected our daily lives.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

mcmagic posted:

Trump 2016!!!

The unironically correct answer. He's a big loudmouthed racist blowhard, bu his ideas on how to actually gently caress people are so pie in the sky they could never happen.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Thump! posted:

The unironically correct answer. He's a big loudmouthed racist blowhard, bu his ideas on how to actually gently caress people are so pie in the sky they could never happen.

"So bad it can't possibly come true" isn't exactly comforting.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thump! posted:

He's the most hateable, but simultaneously the most :allears:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

If it's comfort you're looking for, I don't think American presidential politics is for you

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

a shameful boehner posted:

If it's comfort you're looking for, I don't think American presidential politics is for you

Unless it's southern comfort...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm here for the blood.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm curious which Republican candidates are most likely to start another huge, horrific war in the Middle East, probably invading Iran. In terms of misery and body-count that seems like the one most damaging thing that the next President could do, and while the Republican party in general falls on the side of "more wars, please" there's a definite difference in terms of how interested they are in pursing them. A Bush win has to be the highest danger of completing what the Neocons started, if only because they might see it as their last shot before a new political generation with different priorities takes over.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dolash posted:

I'm curious which Republican candidates are most likely to start another huge, horrific war in the Middle East, probably invading Iran. In terms of misery and body-count that seems like the one most damaging thing that the next President could do, and while the Republican party in general falls on the side of "more wars, please" there's a definite difference in terms of how interested they are in pursing them. A Bush win has to be the highest danger of completing what the Neocons started, if only because they might see it as their last shot before a new political generation with different priorities takes over.

Bush because of his advising team.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Trump would be like some guy battering you with a stick and noisily stealing your wallet, Walker presidency would be you waking up in a bathtub filled with ice with half of your organs missing and somehow a bill for the surgery performed to remove them.

Just a vague feeling, nothing to back this up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

computer parts posted:

Bush because of his advising team.

Any republican president will have the same group of war criminals running their foreign policy. Don't kid yourself.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Trump would be like some guy battering you with a stick and noisily stealing your wallet, Walker presidency would be you waking up in a bathtub filled with ice with half of your organs missing and somehow a bill for the surgery performed to remove them.

Just a vague feeling, nothing to back this up

Walker wouldn't leave a bill, too transparent from what I hear about Wisconsin.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dolash posted:

All of the republicans with even an outside chance of winning the primary are huge hawks.

Rand and (apparently?) Trump aren't, but they're practically a sideshow.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god

Tom Tancredo to Donald Trump: Tone it down

quote:

When asked whether he supports Trump’s stance on immigration, though, Tancredo responded, “God, yes."

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Any republican president will have the same group of war criminals running their foreign policy. Don't kid yourself.

I wonder how many US citizens they'll drone strike via executive kill list?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

TheDisreputableDog posted:

If it's Rand none. :patriot:

Unless they're black

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hate to distract from the Trump-based hilarity, but The Onion has put together a short profile of Scott Walker.

quote:

Wisconsin governor Scott Walker formally announced Monday that he will run for the Republican nomination in the 2016 presidential election, bringing one of the frontrunners in early polls officially into the race. Here are some key facts to know about Walker:

Birthplace: Tea Party comment thread

Greatest Strength: Possesses image and political credentials necessary to appeal to both Koch brothers

Personal Beliefs: Reasonably well-concealed

Labor Union: Longtime member of Local Elected Officials 438

Personal Hero: Sixth-grade teacher who inspired him to strip educators of collective bargaining rights and dismantle publicly funded higher education

Greatest Accomplishment: Stood up to people who make living pulling others from burning buildings

House Band: The Walkettes

Gubernatorial Record: First governor in history to raise enough out-of-state funding to overcome recall challenge from own constituents

Chief Political Rival: Those who want to make a living wage

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

That's a good point of comparison: for Republicans see Bush's wars, for Democrats see Obama's drone strikes. Neither is desirable, but the better choice is pretty clear.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 13, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

That's a good point of comparison: for Republicans see Bush's wars, for Democrats see Obama's drone strikes. Neither are desirable, but the better choice is pretty clear.

At least with the Bush wars we got a live kill cam feeds on CNN.

Thanks Obama.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I want Jeb's first act as President to actually close Gitmo.

Oh my god that would be so sweet.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't think that Graham would wait for the echoes of the oath of office to die down before ordering a strike on Iran.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) said Thursday that the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, ought to remain open for the foreseeable future.

"We shouldn't be closing down Guantanamo," the likely 2016 presidential contender said in a radio interview with Fox News' Brian Kilmeade, according to a tweet from TIME's Zeke Miller. "Closing it down for political purposes is not the right thing to do. Unless there is some compelling alternative, I believe we should stay the course," he added.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"My bro did 9/11. Peace"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

All of the republicans with even an outside chance of winning the primary are huge hawks.

Rand and (apparently?) Trump aren't, but they're practically a sideshow.

The military industrial complex needs money.
(so they can make stuff like the Bradley and the F35)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The endorsement that clinched the nomination! :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vox Nihili posted:

That's a good point of comparison: for Republicans see Bush's wars, for Democrats see Obama's drone strikes. Neither is desirable, but the better choice is pretty clear.

Bush also had drone strikes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So far as I know a lot of Republican candidates have voiced support for Guantanamo, and Bush in particular is exceptionally unlikely to go directly against what his brother did.

As for Graham I suppose the only question is where he'd want to invade first.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

DaveWoo posted:

... I believe we should stay the course," he added.

Goddamnit that loving phrase. I forgot it existed and it reminds me just how awful the war in Iraq was.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Walker: God told me

I see God is still in the 'trolling Republicans' business. Has he whispered in anyone else's ear this cycle yet?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

richardfun posted:

I see God is still in the 'trolling Republicans' business. Has he whispered in anyone else's ear this cycle yet?

He did something else to my ear, but I dont wanna talk about it :cry:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

At least with the Bush wars we got a live kill cam feeds on CNN.

Thanks Obama.
Hey now, the DoD posts airstrikes on ISIL straight to Youtube, which is better than live kill cam feeds on CNN because that way you don't have to watch CNN.:colbert:
CNN is terrible.

Thump! posted:

Goddamnit that loving phrase. I forgot it existed and it reminds me just how awful the war in Iraq was.
As soon as the comedy train slows down and Jeb comes back into the spotlight there's going to be a lot of that happening; doubly so because Iraq is still unstable as gently caress.

Jeb's biggest weakness remains his brother breaking Iraq, and that's gonna dog him for his entire candidacy.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 13, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Vox Nihili posted:

I would genuinely love to hear more about why Walker is worse. He strikes me as more of an empty suit than a deranged true believer, but then again I haven't had to be personally governed by him.

Edit: Oh I forgot about the anti-transparency thing. How the gently caress can a supposedly populist candidate get away with that bullshit?

The man got married on Reagan's birthday and celebrates his anniversary with his wife by eating all of Saint Ronnie's favourite dishes.

He's a true believer.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Walker is what happens when you take the crookedness of Nixon, mix it with the policies of Reagan, give it the intellectual curiosity of W Bush, and then the full financial backing of the Koch brothers.

You make it sound so much more terrible than me :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ZenVulgarity posted:

Will we get an Asian looking president before a Spanish one

• Locked thread