Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Clouseau posted:

I'm sure that Trevor Noah will be fine, but I hope that it doesn't make a major terrorist attack for him to find his voice.

That's unfair, I'm sure that Stewart would have eventually made the show what it was without 9/11, but watching this it was interesting to see how rapidly it got away from the last couple trappings of the Kilborn era after it.
While comparing the beginning of Jon's run to its current form is an interesting exercise, it doesn't address the (my) fundamental concern that we're losing arguable the biggest liberal voice in the culture. Yes, TDS can continue without the same political commentary, but that's not what we (I) want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I really, really hate the set they have in 2005. There's literally nothing good about it.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Diamond Joe!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Kro-Bar posted:

Diamond Joe!

Wow Joe floats the idea of a presidential ticket with him and McCain. Did he misread the situation terribly or was that some kind of joke?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Josh Lyman posted:

I really, really hate the set they have in 2005. There's literally nothing good about it.
It's just for a few days of real-time, they got a new one in 2007.

Wikipedia posted:

On April 9, 2007 the show debuted a new set. The projection screens were revamped (with one large screen behind Stewart, while the smaller one behind the interview subject remained the same), a large, global map directly behind Stewart, a more open studio floor, and a J-shaped desk supported at one end by a globe. The intro was also updated; the graphics, display names, dates, and logos were all changed.[34] This set remained until Stewart's final episode.
Speaking of set woes, Wikipedia says that shortly after the new studio began being used (which happened earlier this morning in real-time,) there was an online campaign to "Bring Back The Couch," which Stewart addressed on-air. Have I missed that? I had to go "outside" and "do stuff" this morning.

pwn fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 13, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ohmygod O'Reilly get hosed!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I remember this interview with Miles O'Brien, when he brought the samples of the Space Shuttle's heat shield.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
hahaha holy poo poo that corn cob bob bit was loving hilarious

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
"They do not want an Islamic state"

Just give it almost a decade and some money and some people who are way more pissed, then you'll see!

EDIT: I forgot how much time George actually spent on the ranch.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 13, 2015

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Wow Joe floats the idea of a presidential ticket with him and McCain. Did he misread the situation terribly or was that some kind of joke?

It was probably a joke but it wasn't like if Hillary Clinton joked today about teaming up with Rick Santorum. At that time, McCain was very popular. He was close to Jon Stewart's favorite politician. A lot of people bought into the "maverick" persona, but to be fair, it was also because McCain was pushing more good legislation than any other Republican. Which, to also be fair, was easy for McCain because Bush hosed him over in 2000 and it was convenient to be the "moderate" Republican when everyone else in his party solidified in support behind Bush. How convenient it was to hate the guy that everyone loved, giving you space to carve out a niche for yourself in national politics. McCain's failure was not realizing that the country was politically hardened at the time, and that he was still partially responsible for that.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeeeeep

quote:

Q: Is it true that George W. Bush took more vacation days than Barack Obama?
A: Yes. Before his two-week trip to Martha’s Vineyard in August, Obama’s count was 125 full or partial days and Bush’s total at the same point in his presidency was 407.

http://www.factcheck.org/2014/08/presidential-vacations/

Syjefroi fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 13, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i always get the impression that most of the hate people have for mccain is that he had the misfortune to be the GOP candidate for president in 2008, he seems to have p. much gone back to being reasonable after that campaign

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

i always get the impression that most of the hate people have for mccain is that he had the misfortune to be the GOP candidate for president in 2008, he seems to have p. much gone back to being reasonable after that campaign

He would not have lost anything if he didn't say some of the terrible things he said during that campaign. Not the election, but I mean, it wouldn't have turned people off to NOT say some of the things he said. He also deserves an enormous amount of scorn for Palin.

McCain hasn't really gone back to being "reasonable" though. He has been against Obama on virtually everything. Even in 2008 someone checked and he voted with his party 95% of the time. http://www.factcheck.org/2008/06/mccain-votes-with-bush ~A True Maverick~

Seriously, the guy is just a survivor in politics. He even squeaked by in this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, no. Unfortunately, John McCain can be a bitter lovely dood with such stories as him angrily calling his wife a oval office in front of other people.

The fact is he was a sore loving loser and only in the last year is sponsoring bills that aren't gross out stupid and working on the other side of the aisle.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

he's a super hawk that sold what little soul he had to be president

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

V. Illych L. posted:

on the contrary, most of the good opinion that most people had about mccain came from his friendly relations with the media during his 2000 campaign. he's been a venal, corrupt, incompetent hothead since before he entered politics

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boywhiz88 posted:

Remember how there was a bunch of poo poo thrown around saying he had a Mobile Command Center* in his ranch so that he could be making decisions at the drop of a hat while he was there?

Did anyone ever film him doing ranchy poo poo while there? That seems like the worst part of the act to keep up.

*(AOL email, fax and Motorola RAZR phone)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Did anyone ever film him doing ranchy poo poo while there? That seems like the worst part of the act to keep up.

Is clearing a sisyphean pile of brush a ranchy thing to do?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
This is the dark times. Also Katrina is coming up.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

Chris Wallace was such a dick in that interview.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Syjefroi posted:

Chris Wallace is such a dick.

FTFY.

It's not even the worst of the bunch. I remember him actively making fun of Jon and Stephen tearing up after announcing that Obama was elected.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I remember the bring back the couch campaign.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

So in that bit, did Colbert go off script to yell at someone with... a laser pointer or something?... but stay in character through it? That was amazing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Syjefroi posted:

So in that bit, did Colbert go off script to yell at someone with... a laser pointer or something?... but stay in character through it? That was amazing.

I just figured it was scripted.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
August 25, 2005. Katrina will be coming to land soon.

Also Lance Armstrong...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"Leave it alone." -Jon Stewart on cheating allegations against Lance Armstrong, Aug 25, 2005. :ughh:

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

Sweet, it's Chris "Catch-All rear end in a top hat" Hitchens.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
This Christopher Hitchens interview had a debate out of nowhere.

And this is why I loved the daily show

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

We're getting closer to Dubya's worst moment as president...

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

gently caress Yes

"Brownie you're doing a heck of a job"

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Rudoku posted:

We're getting closer to Dubya's worst moment as president...

And there it is. Brownie, heck of a job indeed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Kanye West should be weighing in soon.

quote:

Five years later, Bush hasn't forgotten. "I can barely write [West's] words without feeling disgust," the former president explains in a forthcoming book. "I faced a lot of criticism as president. I didn't like hearing people claim that I lied about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction or cut taxes to benefit the rich. But the suggestion that I was racist because of the response to Katrina represented an all-time low."

"I still feel that way," Bush told NBC's Matt Lauer. "I felt [that way] when I heard [those words], felt them when I wrote them, and I felt them when I'm listening to them." Bush also recalled telling his wife it was "the worst moment" of his presidency. "It's one thing to say, 'I don't appreciate the way he's handled his business,'" he said. "It's another thing to say, 'This man's a racist'. I resent it, it's not true."

or has that already happened, i've just tuned in

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Angepain posted:

Kanye West should be weighing in soon.

or has that already happened, i've just tuned in

I think that's coming up

EDIT: Holy poo poo this other dude looks like a lovely bond villain

Madtrixr fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 13, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I was living in Covington when Katrina rolled through, we had to cut our way to the main road with chainsaws because so many trees had fallen across. I was gone for like, two weeks before power was restored to our area so I missed out on all of this news coverage.

Goddamn is this incompetence hard to watch. Why my parents remain steadfast Republicans I will never understand.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can't decide if TDS is making fun of this synthetic lawn, especially since so many people in the west are converting to them due to drought.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Hey could someone do me a favor, and pass me Mtn Dew Kickstarter? They don't have any near the quicksand in this LaQuinta Inn

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
KURT VONNEGUT!!!!!!!!!! RIP!!!!!!!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Hey could someone do me a favor, and pass me Mtn Dew Kickstarter? They don't have any near the quicksand in this LaQuinta Inn

i'm sorry i'm too busy coming up with the most retarded reasons to not smoke!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm sorry i'm too busy coming up with the most retarded reasons to not smoke!

This evolution debate would be funnier if they put a undergraduate pothead philosophy major in it.

"Dude you said God is like a watcher maker, but like dude watches are made in a factory, so what if there are like a billion gods."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

This evolution debate would be funnier if they put a undergraduate pothead philosophy major in it.

"Dude you said God is like a watcher maker, but like dude watches are made in a factory, so what if there are like a billion gods."

That dude sound slegit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

SAVINGS..! :shepicide:

• Locked thread