Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Neat. Thanks.

Wow, I suck rear end in artillery.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

The problem is that WN8 favors certain tanks, and it just so coincidentally happens that it favors tanks that good players enjoy playing and can carry in. Coincidentally.

http://www.wotstats.org/stats/na/rankizama/

Have fun.

Haha drat that profile's WN8 as gently caress. Incidental padding.

Also JP4 best T6 TD.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Descar posted:

how does it favor certain tanks? sounds like bullshit to me.

Have you never played light/medium tanks?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Descar posted:

how does it favor certain tanks? sounds like bullshit to me.

The level I played the T-54 at does not deserve 3275 average WN8. I unlocked both tier tens from it, playing 374 games in it, and padded my WN8 sky high merely by playing a great tank decently. A metric shouldn't reward people who are seeking to pad the metric for playing the tanks that they were already going to play to pad other metrics. That defeats the entire purpose. By all means reward the player who can make the Sturer Emil or A-44 or SU100-M1 work for them, but the T-54 has 160 less expected damage than Type 61 and the goddamn Centurion 7. That's not appropriate. You shouldn't be expected to perform better in a worse tank to receive the same outcome.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Prav posted:

Haha drat that profile's WN8 as gently caress. Incidental padding.
I don't know what that means! :v: Pretty sure the Lee, M4, Bromwell, and Jg.Pz.IV are inflating the score some since I play them quite a bit?

Prav posted:

Also JP4 best T6 TD.
Truth. Love it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Edit: That clan is pretty cool though. They give us a run for our money sometimes.

ESPRT seem fine, and they actually have active players which is a nice change from PINGU or SIMP, but man that form letter is unbelievably earnest.

Also I suspect they may not appreciate the many, many reports they'll get from the pubbies of my tarnishing ESPRT's esportsmanlike good name.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RanKizama posted:

Truth. Love it.

You might want to check out your stats on noobmeter, they give a few more statistics that people don't care about :
http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/RanKizama/1003331463/

Hellsau posted:

ESPRT seem fine, and they actually have active players which is a nice change from PINGU or SIMP, but man that form letter is unbelievably earnest.

Also I suspect they may not appreciate the many, many reports they'll get from the pubbies of my tarnishing ESPRT's esportsmanlike good name.

They don't need to know you are always getting reported :ssh:

They strike me as the kind of people that will only have a problem if their mailboxes are getting blown up with complaints. They are a little cheeky in SH raids, so they might not be as stern and you think.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

RanKizama posted:

I don't know what that means! :v: Pretty sure the Lee, M4, Bromwell, and Jg.Pz.IV are inflating the score some since I play them quite a bit?

Truth. Love it.

Yeah you're apparently a Lee-whisperer and do genuinely well in it. Since the Lee is so bad it has an expected damage of like 350, so you have a "holy poo poo top 0.1% of all players" WN8 in it and you have six loving thousand battles in the thing, so yeah, that's where your WN8 is coming from. Meanwhile you do just "above average" to "good" in good high tier tanks like the VK 4502B and the M46 Patton, but you don't have six thousand battles in those so it doesn't matter.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 13, 2015

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Hellsau posted:

The level I played the T-54 at does not deserve 3275 average WN8. I unlocked both tier tens from it, playing 374 games in it, and padded my WN8 sky high merely by playing a great tank decently. A metric shouldn't reward people who are seeking to pad the metric for playing the tanks that they were already going to play to pad other metrics. That defeats the entire purpose. By all means reward the player who can make the Sturer Emil or A-44 or SU100-M1 work for them, but the T-54 has 160 less expected damage than Type 61 and the goddamn Centurion 7. That's not appropriate. You shouldn't be expected to perform better in a worse tank to receive the same outcome.

It will even out eventually when you grind up other tanks. one-trick ponys are easy to discover.. Your t-54 performance is superior to others t-54 drivers, what else is there to say? there's only a few tanks that are this way, due to popularity of that tank. there's very few "padders", the overall population doesnt care, and wn8 together with wr is the best metric atm.

edit :
if you a decent player, you'll get the same wn8 in Your other t9 mediums as the t-54

Descar fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 13, 2015

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

I guess I got lucky that the recruiters were not up their own asses. That kind of gas can get to ones head.

Edit: That clan is pretty cool though. They give us a run for our money sometimes.

Only when we don't actually have callers :colbert:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
bad_day.jpg

That was all from the one shell. I almost felt bad for him Actually I taunted him relentlessly, while grinning from ear to ear.

Today has been a good day for HE.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

JohnGalt posted:

Have you never played light/medium tanks?

it doesnt favor them, its just that light/mediums are high skill / high reward tanks. it means, if Your good, it will show on your wn8 very clearly,
but you need to know spotting mechanics + have map experience + Battle experience, then its easy to outperform clumsy and slow tanks.

a Nice exsample is the t95, you can put a superunicum into it, and it wount perform that much better then a tomato, due to very Limited options, its very low skill / low reward tank.
the total opposite would be the amx 13 90, puttin a superunicum into this tank, and he has all the options he needs to change the Battle, only missing armor/alpha, total opposite of t95.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

TheFluff posted:

Yeah you're apparently a Lee-whisperer and do genuinely well in it. Since the Lee is so bad it has an expected damage of like 350, so you have a "holy poo poo top 1% of all players" WN8 in it and you have six loving thousand battles in the thing, so yeah, that's where your WN8 is coming from.
The M3 Lee isn't bad. It's just misunderstood. :(

TheFluff posted:

Meanwhile you do just "above average" to "good" in good high tier tanks like the VK 4502B and the M46 Patton, but you don't have six thousand battles in those so it doesn't matter.
Yeah, my VK45.02B stats suck hard because I was trying to grind it pre-buff. I was a LOT worse in it, but it's slowly getting better. The M46 Patton I enjoy though. I really should play it more but I like my M48A1 Patton better.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
http://www.wotstats.org/stats/na/steelion/

Hmm. Apparently I am Good At Heavy Tanks? I honestly don't know how I have almost 3400 WN8 in the IS-3. It's a fantastic tank! Am I really doing that much compared to the average player?

I also really like my SPG stats. All medicore or bad except the 304 and Crusader, and then there's the M41, where I have 2800 WN8 over 250 battles. Preeeeeetty sure that was before any of the big arty nerfs happened, and the thing got a much larger gun, so my 1500 average damage in a tier 5 arty is artificially inflating that score a ton :v:

e:solid 3400 in the caernarvon :stare: At least there I can understand it a bit, since the Caern is a kind of weird tank.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 13, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Desuwa posted:

At this point I have played all t9 mediums except the PTA on the live server. The AMX 30 is very good but it can't brawl in a pinch or bully lower tiers like the E-50 can.

It's up there with the Cent 7 and the E-50, though. But I give the edge to the E-50 for some good reasons, mainly its flexibility.

e: The cent 7 is more personal but it just clicks so well with me. Not that it's bad in absolute terms.

I think t9 mediums are my most played class/tier combo and I keep the majority of them.

To be fair, the E-50 is more like a heavy tank than all those other mediums. I mean, without the top engine it has like 11 specific power, and that only goes up to about 14 with it. The T-54 is 20 maxed out, 30p is 22, whereas the E-75 is about 10 and the 50 120 is over 16. The E-50 isn't too sluggish, but in terms of mobility & playstyle it's nowhere near the "classic" medium tanks like the T-54, 30p, LeoP, etc. Still fun though!

Hellsau posted:

Finally got a chance to post a screenshot of this recruitment message. That has to be the most po-faced, earnest thing I've even seen in a video game.

"Greetings _________!

[insert form letter here]"

But look at the bright side, you'll get to play cards against humanity! lol

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Hellsau posted:

It isn't appropriate, but there's a fairly reasonable explanation for it: you need to hit more shots in a t54 to do your damage than you do in a Cent 7 or a Type 61 simply due to alpha. What are pubbies not good at? Hitting shots. What are pubbies even worse at? Living long enough to shoot more things, even in a tank as survivable as a t54.

I'm certainly not arguing that WN8 is a good metric, but don't attribute to malice or some conspiracy what can easily be explained by stupidity.

Now I'm curious though: http://www.wotstats.org/stats/na/charnik/

I played like a billion t54 games because it was the only tank I found fun about 2 years ago. Are my stats padded? I did just about as well in the Type 61 (which I hated).

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Atomizer posted:

To be fair, the E-50 is more like a heavy tank than all those other mediums. I mean, without the top engine it has like 11 specific power, and that only goes up to about 14 with it. The T-54 is 20 maxed out, 30p is 22, whereas the E-75 is about 10 and the 50 120 is over 16. The E-50 isn't too sluggish, but in terms of mobility & playstyle it's nowhere near the "classic" medium tanks like the T-54, 30p, LeoP, etc. Still fun though!

The E-50 also has a 60 kph top speed, so if you can get a bit of a hill to cruise down you can absolutely pick up some insane speed, compared to how mobile it usually is on flat ground.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Vorkosigan posted:

Only when we don't actually have callers :colbert:

Oh yeah forgot about that little fact last night...

Still was fun!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So I'm considering retraining my Leopard 1 driver skills and I'm debating which to choose: off-roading vs smooth ride vs clutch braking. Everything I'm searching up seem to contradict each other on what priority to place on those three skills. What are some of your opinions of those three in priority for the Leopard 1?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 13, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

CB is always nice but the Leo has pretty high track bloom for it's tier and class so there's certainly room to argue for SR.

ORD does nothing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RanKizama posted:

Out of of my 21,973 battles, I've got 5,998 battles in my M3 Lee with a 60% WR so there's that.
:stonk: I love some random rear end tanks but good god man.

Descar posted:

a Nice exsample is the t95, you can put a superunicum into it, and it wount perform that much better then a tomato, due to very Limited options, its very low skill / low reward tank.
the total opposite would be the amx 13 90, puttin a superunicum into this tank, and he has all the options he needs to change the Battle, only missing armor/alpha, total opposite of t95.
What is this about unicums? Isnt that a Hungarian hard liquor that is a bad ripoff of Jagermeister?

Also the 13 90 is amazing and probably my favorite tank what does that mean.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It means you have good taste

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Prav posted:

ORD does nothing.

ORD is actually noticeable on the IS-7, but I think that's the only tank in the game where it is, and even then the difference is minuscule and mostly meaningless.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheFluff posted:

ORD is actually noticeable on the IS-7, but I think that's the only tank in the game where it is, and even then the difference is minuscule and mostly meaningless.

A few NTR people tested ORD on test server, both in IS-7s, one with and one without ORD. It didn't do anything in any terrain. Also even what it is stated to do is basically meaningless compared to the actual noticeable effects of the other driver skills. Clutch Braking is just awesome, and Smooth Ride aka your mum is great.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Hellsau posted:

A few NTR people tested ORD on test server, both in IS-7s, one with and one without ORD. It didn't do anything in any terrain. Also even what it is stated to do is basically meaningless compared to the actual noticeable effects of the other driver skills. Clutch Braking is just awesome, and Smooth Ride aka your mum is great.

Well, something made Soulfucker's five-skill IS-7 go faster than mine in a side by side race vOv

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Wasn't the opinion a while ago that off-roading was a good skill? Did WG change the skill?

VVVVV OI, fuckoff nobody wants to hear about your Type 59!

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 14, 2015

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I badly need to respec my medium crews. I've been intending to for a while now.

For instance, my Type 59 crew is currently BIA/90% Repair up and down the board. Should I get rid of BIA entirely for now? I was thinking maybe:

Commander: Sixth Sense, Camo
Gunner: Snap Shot, Camo
Driver: Smooth Ride, Camo
Loader: Situational Awareness, Camo

Would clutch braking maybe be better on the driver? Maybe safe stowage on the loader/radio operator? Should I keep BIA? Help goons, my medium tanks are bad.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Agrajag posted:

Wasn't the opinion a while ago that off-roading was a good skill? Did WG change the skill?

Type 59's better.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

M.C. McMic posted:

I badly need to respec my medium crews. I've been intending to for a while now.

For instance, my Type 59 crew is currently BIA/90% Repair up and down the board. Should I get rid of BIA entirely for now? I was thinking maybe:

Commander: Sixth Sense, Camo
Gunner: Snap Shot, Camo
Driver: Smooth Ride, Camo
Loader: Situational Awareness, Camo

Would clutch braking maybe be better on the driver? Maybe safe stowage on the loader/radio operator? Should I keep BIA? Help goons, my medium tanks are bad.

Camo is a 4th or 5th option for the type. Wait until you're at 100% and get BIA. Start getting the driver skills that help with aimtime. All of them. You need them.

JohnGalt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 14, 2015

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

JohnGalt posted:

Camo is a 4th or 5th option for the type. Wait until you're at 100% and get BIA. Start getting the driver skills that help with aimtime. All of them. You need them.

I have BIA already as my first skill on each crew member. You're saying I should keep BIA and get smooth ride and snap shot as second skills on my driver and gunner respectively to improve accuracy? (Maybe keep repair on my other two crew members as a second skill?)

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I hear that BIA on medium tanks aren't really all that useful when compared to sixth sense + camo

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Steelion posted:

The E-50 also has a 60 kph top speed, so if you can get a bit of a hill to cruise down you can absolutely pick up some insane speed, compared to how mobile it usually is on flat ground.

It does indeed have that top speed, which is kind of :3: considering its low power-to-weight ratio. Still, when you do pick up speed that's where that huge ramming potential kicks in. There was a point in that replay I posted where he could've rammed one tank (I think an M103) and saved the shot for the 704, although it was played out more conservatively.

As a counterpoint, the IS-7 also has a top speed of 60, but a better specific power (>15) while only weighing about 10% more. The 50 120 has a top speed of 65 and an even better specific power (>16).

Agrajag posted:

No, I think ORD has always been useless.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

M.C. McMic posted:

I have BIA already as my first skill on each crew member. You're saying I should keep BIA and get smooth ride and snap shot as second skills on my driver and gunner respectively to improve accuracy? (Maybe keep repair on my other two crew members as a second skill?)

I haven't played a type with less than 5 skills in over a year so I can't even remember what it is like not to have them. I don't know how you specifically play it, but the aim time on the thing makes medium and long range engagements more difficult. Personally, I would put repair before camo and get safe stowarge before repair.

Agrajag posted:

I hear that BIA on medium tanks aren't really all that useful when compared to sixth sense + camo

On better aim time tanks, you can make that arguement. The t59 benefits a lot by anything to help aim time.

JohnGalt fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 14, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Mediums get camo and repairs before bia, though you can drop repairs after finishing the third skill and restart it from 0 (well 50%, depending on what you prioritize on your driver and gunner).

Camo is too valuable on mediums, doubly so at higher tiers, and repairs is very important on everything but t5/6 lights that don't have the health to take two hits anyway. I take camo first on mediums but wouldn't blame a less experienced player for taking repairs first.

BIA is such a tiny boost compared to the huge differences camo, repairs, and especially sixth sense can make that it isn't even a contest.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Mediums get camo and repairs before bia, though you can drop repairs after finishing the third skill and restart it from 0 (well 50%, depending on what you prioritize on your driver and gunner).

Camo is too valuable on mediums, doubly so at higher tiers, and repairs is very important on everything but t5/6 lights that don't have the health to take two hits anyway. I take camo first on mediums but wouldn't blame a less experienced player for taking repairs first.

BIA is such a tiny boost compared to the huge differences camo, repairs, and especially sixth sense can make that it isn't even a contest.

You're right on just about every other medium. The type needs everything to boost aim time.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Dump the type get a real medium, problem solved.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Agrajag posted:

Dump the type get a real medium, problem solved.

If I could give you my Type I would, I don't even play it anymore. I think I'll just sell it. :shrug:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

JohnGalt posted:

Pbkac declined my application. I've reached the lower bowels of being bad.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lol if you think pbkac wants good players.

They just don't want Galt bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
rip pbkac