Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RatHat posted:

Does the buff limit include passive buffs like your pets, campfires, lanterns, banners ect.? Or is it just potions buffs that get counted?

Basically what I'm asking is should I ever be worried about going over the buff limit and wasting my potions?

There's no information on the wiki about whether or not vanity pets count toward the buff limit, so it might be smart to turn those off if you're worried about the limit.

Though I've gone nuts with buffs and have never hit the limit. As long as you make sure the potions you drink are helping you in battle you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mzbundifund posted:

So, wizard builds. I've never managed to get one rolling once I hit hard mode, because I don't know how to keep in mana.

What's the best way to stay flush with mana to power your spells? In the Olde Days I used to just equip a mana flower and go bananas, but the addition of that stupid mana sickness debuff means that trying that now just ruins your offense down. Is there some critical accessory I don't know about? Am I really expected to find little breathing seconds to stop moving and let the mana regen kick in? With the magic sets terrible defense that sounds like a great way to get butchered. What's the strategy?

It's -25% damage going down to -0% over the next five seconds. It doesn't ruin your offense. Even if it was -100% for the whole duration it would still be better and faster than sitting on your hands and waiting to regen naturally.

Oh yeah, and bind the mana potion hotkey to a less-dumb-than-J key and you won't even need the mana flower.

Mzbundifund posted:

What on earth do you still need light sources for by the time you can kill the Moon Lord?

I think it gives you a permanent Spelunker effect. Seems kind of cool, but even more easily replaced by potion than the gravity globe.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
...There's a buff limit?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GenericOverusedName posted:

...There's a buff limit?

You can only have 22 active buffs and debuffs at a time. This includes all pets, mounts, minecarts, potions and potion sickness.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Boy nothing like starting hardmode and getting 3 bloodmoons in a row :shepicide:

I've never played hardmode before. Should I be making drills or picks now?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

dis astranagant posted:

You can only have 22 active buffs and debuffs at a time. This includes all pets, mounts, minecarts, potions and potion sickness.

Minecart IS a mount. So given a light pet, a normal pet, and a mount, this leaves you with 19 things.

Conveniently, there are 18 buff potions that can do stuff in combat. 19 if you count something for the environment (Flipper/Obsidian Skin)

I mean, if you want to carry every buff potion, I guess you could, but that wouldn't leave much inventory space.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

It's also annoying that you have to only keep the "right" potions on you.

For example, if I recall correctly, the autobuff 'b' assumes that you want to use any gravitation potions that happen to be in your inventory. And you usually don't.

I wish that the game would just let you drink potions from your inventory without having to hotkey them first (without having to set the autopause setting - I know you can do it that way, but I don't want to).

I play with autopause off so this is just a guess but couldn't you just open inventory, toss any pots you don't want to use, then hit autobuff and pick the others back up again? Or can you also not drop items while paused?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Internet Kraken posted:

Boy nothing like starting hardmode and getting 3 bloodmoons in a row :shepicide:

Drills or picks are exactly the same for mining stuff. It's basically just whichever one you think is cooler, although beware that the drills constantly make loud engine sounds when you're mining.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Drills or picks are exactly the same for mining stuff. It's basically just whichever one you think is cooler, although be aware that the drills constantly make an awesome loud engine sounds when you're mining.

Fixed that for you. Also, if I remember right, Picks are slightly faster if you get them speed modifiers, and Drills are slightly faster if you don't.

Also, more built stuff time.

House (with Wizard Turret, Dryad Treehouse, and Tax Collector's pimp tower)

Rocket (With Rocket Tower and Lava-fueled Rocket Booster)

And random UFO

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 13, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Should I be making drills or picks now?

I like picks because the knockback and range are useful when mining around enemies.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Also are drills still annoyingly noisy?

e: oh it seems that they are. I do like the initial motor noise but I wish it kinda faded after a second or so.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Supremezero posted:

Have you actually tried the Mechanical Minecart? 102 MPH is pretty compelling.

Golem is probably helpful for autofarm builds for enhancing survivability.

And people always seem to forget that Expert Mode Moon Lord ALSO drops Suspicious Looking Tentacle, AKA The Best Light Source In The Game.

Minecarts great and all. But compared to the extra accessory, worm scarf, and depending on your build the eye shield, the cart is just no where near as useful as the normal mode expert exclusive boss items.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you can craft pick equivalents of drills if the noise bothers you

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
According to the wiki:

quote:

Drills may mine slightly slower than pickaxes because they are not affected by melee-speed modifiers. Players who want to maximize mining speed should avoid using drills, because the benefits provided by melee speed enhancements apply only to pickaxes.

Dunno if it's even a noticeable difference, but I've been sticking to picks for this reason.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The differences are definitely pretty minor though.

I would suggest making a cobalt/palladium drill anyways, so you can see whether you like drills or picks more. You'll end up replacing it pretty quickly with the next hardmode metal, so even if you absolutely hate it it's not a big deal.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The difference is actually more on the hardmode picks because the way it rounds mining speed. Light shroomite digging claws dig almost as fast as you can fall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

By the time you hit hardmode, there really shouldn't be any danger from bloodmoons anymore though.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

By the time you hit hardmode, there really shouldn't be any danger from bloodmoons anymore though.

Wrong, there's clowns, and the hardmode enemies that normally spawn at night are also pretty dangerous in large numbers, especially if you are completely new to hardmode and are still wearing pre-hardmode armor.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

We should make the thread title "save your crates for hardmode" help everyone skip that first hurdle.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
1.3.0.5 is live.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads%2F1-3-0-5.25621%2F

Some highlights:
- Added Celestial Sigil, a summoning item for the final boss. (craftable)
- Living leaf walls now count as safe for housing!
- Martian Drone now shows up on Rare Creature Finder.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

benzine posted:

1.3.0.5 is live.

Some highlights:

Also two bugs I've seen people mention here:
- Fixed Cultists ritual blocking Martian Probe from spawning.
- Fixed Goblin Scouts despawning not spawning.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It doesn't look like they intend to enable NPCs to move between floors anytime soon :sigh:

Back to work on my long town with a one-floor-only building height limit, then!

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

benzine posted:

1.3.0.5 is live.

Some highlights:

Right after I replaced every single Living Leaf Wall in my custom giant tree house because no NPCs would move in. Oh well, smart cursor makes placing walls really easy.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Damage from spikes now checks for immunity separately from other effects.

RIP honey bath with a spike in it for bosses. Good thing I've been ramping up my circle strafe game :shepicide:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cicadalek posted:

According to the wiki:

Dunno if it's even a noticeable difference, but I've been sticking to picks for this reason.
I prefer the swing arc on the picks for knocking back enemies that blunder into my mining and the like myself.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

Also two bugs I've seen people mention here:
- Fixed Cultists ritual blocking Martian Probe from spawning.
- Fixed Goblin Scouts despawning not spawning.

Oh, good. I just beat Golem, and I thought I wasn't going to be able to fight the martians.

EDIT - "Fixed Seedler projectiles not counting as melee / not getting flask effects." Seedler even more powerful now! What's a good flask to make a bunch of for bosses or events?

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 13, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

benzine posted:

1.3.0.5 is live.

Some highlights:

Hell
Yes

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Living leaf walls rule, thank goodness.

Shortcut to the boss is really nice too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
:downs: "Vibrations from deep underground? I wonder what that means. Neither of us did anything so I guess it must be some event or something."

Pictured: Two idiots flailing against an invulnerable mech worm. We pounded on it all night and it ran away with a bit of health left. Certainly a step up from the normal bosses if we did that badly. Does it matter where you hit the destroyer? Does he have any sort of weak point or is it just hit it anywhere and avoid getting lasered?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Drills or picks are exactly the same for mining stuff. It's basically just whichever one you think is cooler, although beware that the drills constantly make loud engine sounds when you're mining.

As opposed to the easy on the ears TINK TINK TINK TINK TINK TINK TINK.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

:downs: "Vibrations from deep underground? I wonder what that means. Neither of us did anything so I guess it must be some event or something."

Pictured: Two idiots flailing against an invulnerable mech worm. We pounded on it all night and it ran away with a bit of health left. Certainly a step up from the normal bosses if we did that badly. Does it matter where you hit the destroyer? Does he have any sort of weak point or is it just hit it anywhere and avoid getting lasered?

The drones don't count toward killing it but otherwise it's just a giant worm. The head does notably higher damage if it manages to hit you with it. Holy arrows tear it to pieces, especially with some of the new bows.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

You gotta hit him where those lights are still on until he goes down. Prioritize killing the little drone things because those are what really kill you in the end. Make an arena. Prepare for the fight with consumables and useful weapons as usual. Etc.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

No weak points, just wail on it. Hardmode bosses, destroyer especially, are just massive HP sponges that occasionally whack you for a non-negligible but not horribly dangerous amount of damage. Assuming you have a decent arena, which it looks like you did, at least for him :v:

e: The fact that arenas of some sort are basically mandatory to fight the hardmode bosses always bugs me, mostly because I hate building them. I really wish that the addition of expert mode had toned them down a little in normal mode, at least their HP. I'm really bad at terraria combat, so all the hardmore battles I've ever fought have either been impossible or really easy because I built an area that let me trivialize the fight. Without arenas I always feel like I'm having fun and being challenged trying to dodge the bosses and avoid whatever projectile they spam at me... until I realize I've done 1/4 of the boss's HP and then I die.

tl;dr, I am bad and wish the game were easier :v:

Steelion fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 13, 2015

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Have you actually tried the Mechanical Minecart? 102 MPH is pretty compelling.

Golem is probably helpful for autofarm builds for enhancing survivability.

And people always seem to forget that Expert Mode Moon Lord ALSO drops Suspicious Looking Tentacle, AKA The Best Light Source In The Game.

Oh, I forgot the minecart was an expert mode thing. We had a world spanning track so I used it pretty often till we built teleporters. The tentacle is ok I guess, I don't really give a poo poo about a light source at that point especially when the Wisp in a Bottle is more or less as good.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

You gotta hit him where those lights are still on until he goes down.

No,the number of lights still on just represent how much health it has left. Hitting it anywhere counts equally.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I thought the lights represented if that section of the body had sent out its probe yet?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Excelzior posted:

No,the number of lights still on just represent how much health it has left. Hitting it anywhere counts equally.

Ah, I'll take your word for it then. I have not fought him in a year and I thought the lights represented more than that.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Qylvaran posted:

Oh, good. I just beat Golem, and I thought I wasn't going to be able to fight the martians.

EDIT - "Fixed Seedler projectiles not counting as melee / not getting flask effects." Seedler even more powerful now! What's a good flask to make a bunch of for bosses or events?

Damage wise, it seems like there's no reason to use anything but the venom or ichor flasks. Venom does 6 damage a second, which is more than poison/fire/cursed fire. Ichor reduces defense by 20, which might just be way more damage overall than the venom? I'm not sure how defense works for enemies. You could always use venom and occasionally spray enemies with the golden shower spell I guess.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Qylvaran posted:

Party. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Read posted:

I thought the lights represented if that section of the body had sent out its probe yet?

That's what I thought. Maybe it's both?!?!?!?