Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Paranoid Dude posted:

Holy wow, I just started playing the After the End Mod, and it's absolutely perfect.

Except for the fact that some characters have an invisible-man thing going on, but absolutely perfect in every other aspect!

Looks like someone doesn't have all the portrait packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Reveilled posted:

Might have something to do with you using Elective; since you've got no de jure vassals in your custom empire, is it preventing you from creating a title which has no electors?

Looks like it.

I tried creating an Empire after primary-switching title to a pre-existing Kingdom (with laws Absolute Cognative Elective) and got Absolute Cognative Gavelkind.

Then I tried creating an Empire after primary-switching title to a pre-existing Kingdom (with laws Absolute Cognative Primogeniture) and got Absolute Cognative Primogeniture.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 13, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tehan posted:

If there's anyone else on youtube with beta footage, please link in the thread. Arumba's forgotten how to play CK2 but he still thinks he's great at it so he's making constant mistakes and blaming them all on the game or the developers. It's infuriating.

I just watched him misread "Priestess" as "Princess" and wonder why he A) didn't get any alliances when he married them and B) why his prestige is in the shitter. You'd think he'd notice something was off when a "princess" was House Lowborn.

EDIT: And now he's trying to raid fellow nomads while failing to realize that he borders the goddamn Byzantine Empire.

EDIT 2: Youtube comments are normally pretty lovely but a lot of these are pretty good.

quote:

continually misreads priestess as princess "Make me a beta tester Paradox! I have an eye for detail!"

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 13, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I ran into an interesting situation in a CM Svitjod game. I was basically sitting around waiting for churches in Finland to rebuild so I could raid them again (Viking Age hadn't begun yet), when I hit the 300 gold mark and got a major decision notification. At that point, I could have created a custom kingdom, but I'd need to wait another year or so at my current income to create de jure Sweden.

I wound up waiting, and things have gone basically as they should in a Scandinavia game. Although Sigurdr died early (Mercantile focus stress! :argh:) and left Ragnarr in a 4-year regency, which gave me four popups from factions demanding that I blank, and that my regent supported their decision to blank (Accepting boosted the faction leader's opinion by 10, with no other effects). I also got one independence faction that I let go through, and then immediately asked most of them to become my vassal again. Since I'd just granted them independence, they were happy to accept.

Also, burning down Rome gave me the last bit of MA I needed to reform the faith. :catholic:

e: Also, the first place I raided come 793 was the province with Lindisfarne in it, just for some semblance of historical accuracy.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 13, 2015

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

DStecks posted:

One of my favourite CKII moments was when I (the chief of Estonia) got a notification that my neighbors to the south had sieged my capital and the chief took my wife as his concubine; I then proceeded to wreck his loving poo poo.

But yeah, to put my two cents in, rape is already represented in CKII to the extent that it ought to be. The only reasonable expansion I can imagine would be if Christian rulers could force-marry anyone in their prison, like they already can with anyone in their court. And diplomatically, it should be an unsalvageable opinion malus with the abducted's family, and probably a CB to boot.

I had a similar thing happen––petty king of Ulaidh, got attacked by the king of Pictland, he took my capital (pushing me from feudalism back to tribalism, thanks a lot) and took my daughter as his concubine. I was pretty screwed.

The next day at work, I regaled some of my labmates with this tale and explained my plan to utterly wreck Pictland and take his wife and daughters as my concubines, because gently caress him.

A few days later, one of my labmates, an Italian guy with a thick accent, asked me, completely out of the blue: "So, Aschlafly, how was the raping?"

Took me a few minutes to figure out that he was referring to CK2 and that this is essentially what forced concubinage entails...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

EDIT: And now he's trying to raid fellow nomads while failing to realize that he borders the goddamn Byzantine Empire.

Maybe he likes having an army.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

I just watched him misread "Priestess" as "Princess" and wonder why he A) didn't get any alliances when he married them and B) why his prestige is in the shitter. You'd think he'd notice something was off when a "princess" was House Lowborn.

EDIT 2: Youtube comments are normally pretty lovely but a lot of these are pretty good.

Regardless, his LP really makes me want to play Horse Lords. Nomads look like a lot of fun, and it's nice to see that at least one non-Norse pagan religion is now getting some love.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Is there any lineage consequences to having a wife get knocked up during an affair (other people gaining claims because the kid it really theirs or something)? Because my dude's wife popped out like three babies while he was away. I called her on it and tried to arrest her but she fled so I divorced her, married again, and now THIS wife is getting pregnant while my character is away.

I mean, I picked Seduction because he started with zero kids, but this is not how I pictured him getting heirs!

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

That always happens to me when I start in Italy. Its like the devs are making a joke about Italy. Everyone in Italy is loving everyone else all the time

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 13, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If the kid is treated as yours, then the real parent won't get any claims or anything like that. If the kid isn't treated as yours, then they won't inherit any of your claims anyway because they aren't your kid (although they will inherit your wife's claims if you're trying to get some of those, so you'll have competition there).

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Goofballs posted:

That always happens to me when I start in Italy. Its like the devs are making a joke about paradox. Everyone in Italy is loving everyone else all the time

I started as a Byzantine duke, so someone in my court must be getting his Intrigue on. If it turns out to be the same guy who did the first wife, I might just keep him around, take some pressure off my character.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Is there any lineage consequences to having a wife get knocked up during an affair (other people gaining claims because the kid it really theirs or something)? Because my dude's wife popped out like three babies while he was away. I called her on it and tried to arrest her but she fled so I divorced her, married again, and now THIS wife is getting pregnant while my character is away.

I mean, I picked Seduction because he started with zero kids, but this is not how I pictured him getting heirs!

Does your guy have the paranoid trait?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Regardless, his LP really makes me want to play Horse Lords. Nomads look like a lot of fun, and it's nice to see that at least one non-Norse pagan religion is now getting some love.

If anything, Arumba is great marketing because it inspires people like you or I who think "What an incompetent!! I could do better!" and buy the game to do just that.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Paranoid Dude posted:

Holy wow, I just started playing the After the End Mod, and it's absolutely perfect.

Except for the fact that some characters have an invisible-man thing going on, but absolutely perfect in every other aspect!
The Sunset Invasion, African Faces, etc. modules are for if you already have that DLC, because they reference data from said DLC to render more faces and stuff.

DrSunshine posted:

If anything, Arumba is great marketing because it inspires people like you or I who think "What an incompetent!! I could do better!" and buy the game to do just that.

That's how they got me playing Cities Skylines.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Schizotek posted:

Does your guy have the paranoid trait?

I don't believe so, but I'll double check. I did get an event the the first wife was having an affair with a dude in court and gave me the option of denouncing her or just sitting on it. I denounced her, she took the title Unfaithful and fled to some emir. Maybe he is just paranoid or doesn't know how babby is formed?

I also had a guy with the Imbecile trait want to be my Spymaster, so maybe there's something in the water in Nikaea.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

DrSunshine posted:

This is actually why I stopped watching Lets Plays. I kept thinking "I would do this instead" and buying another game I won't play until I retire.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Goofballs posted:

That always happens to me when I start in Italy. Its like the devs are making a joke about Italy. Everyone in Italy is loving everyone else all the time

It doesn't matter where you start, it always happens. There is no such thing as a faithful wife in CK2 since Way of Life. I mean the various sub-emperor characters I've played have gone through probably 200 wives by now and, setting aside those who died within a year or two of the wedding, probably about 197 of them have been unfaithful.

It was REALLY out of control before it got toned down by a patch, but it's still probably excessive. Any ruler that picks Seduction focus is going to gently caress every woman in the realm, basically. (The toning down doesn't seem to make them any less proliferate; they just much less frequently choose to make women their lovers.)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If the kid is treated as yours, then the real parent won't get any claims or anything like that. If the kid isn't treated as yours, then they won't inherit any of your claims anyway because they aren't your kid (although they will inherit your wife's claims if you're trying to get some of those, so you'll have competition there).

Yeah, bastards rarely present any kind of real danger in succession, which is kind of lame.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

DStecks posted:

Yeah, bastards rarely present any kind of real danger in succession, which is kind of lame.

They can be a big spanner in the works for female rulers, I think.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The best part of infidelity is when dudes who have been castrated don't get suspicious when their wives turn up years later. One of my sons returned from the vargarian guard blind and castrated. I wasn't going to let his genius wife go to waste. Neither my son nor anyone else at court thinks it is odd that his wife is having babies.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

groogy posted:

In essence, more dead characters doesn't make game slower. More alive characters does. But what really hits performance are large empires because it increases the amounts of realms (every ruler technically holds his own sub-realm) meaning more evaluations per character has to be made. For instance I discovered late game that huge greek/byzantine empires were slowing down the game because each greek person was evaluating against each other person in the realm "can I castrate?", and this took up like a huge chunk of the performance of the AI. I hink 70% of the AI demands were about castrating or blinding someone when I loaded late-game byzantine saves. Luckily this is fixed in the coming 2.4 patch.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

The best part of infidelity is when dudes who have been castrated don't get suspicious when their wives turn up years later. One of my sons returned from the vargarian guard blind and castrated. I wasn't going to let his genius wife go to waste. Neither my son nor anyone else at court thinks it is odd that his wife is having babies.

It could also be largely a court rumor everyone believes.
"Did you hear about duke Johnson? Word is, his sight isn't the only thing he lost..."

So it's perfectly possible no one knows for sure, because despite this being the medieval period you just didn't talk about or show certain things to random court members.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roma delenda est
...because castration is out of control.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
And if no one but him knows the awful truth, he probably doesn't want to bring any accusations against his wife without some kind of caught-in-the-act-by-several-eyewitnesses proof, lest he have to explain to the court how he can be sure he isn't the father.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's the best way of doing a Nestorian/Messalian run these days? (Without cheating, I usually play Ironman)

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Broken Cog posted:

What's the best way of doing a Nestorian/Messalian run these days? (Without cheating, I usually play Ironman)

:shrug: Buy Rajas of India, start as the Abbasid Caliph and use the decision to convert to Religion of one of the counties in Norther Mesopotamia?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Edison was a dick posted:

:shrug: Buy Rajas of India, start as the Abbasid Caliph and use the decision to convert to Religion of one of the counties in Norther Mesopotamia?

Don't think you can force convert if you're the head of a major religion (afaik you can't even console convert the Sunni Caliph), but I guess I could give it a shot as Abyssinia or rush down there as the Byzantines.

VVVVVVVV - Now that's crazy talk!

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 13, 2015

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Broken Cog posted:

Don't think you can force convert if you're the head of a major religion (afaik you can't even console convert the Sunni Caliph), but I guess I could give it a shot as Abyssinia or rush down there as the Byzantines.

You could also try a later start where the Emperor of Arabia isn't a Caliph.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

I'm having a great time with my anti-pope here in Ireland, wait, what's going on France?

Maybe it had something to do with this old second son of mine, granted a bishopric to prevent inheritance...

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 13, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Broken Cog posted:

If you like a good challenges start as the island just east of the horn of Africa. Pretty sure the ruler there is Nestorian in most starts.

Alternatively start as Genghis Khan. One of his sons is married to Nestorian woman and can easily convert.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

HORSE LORDS is tomorrow right? What time do expansions usually come out?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So this game is interesting:

I didn't even particularly do anything, but the Cathars took over France and just kept going, even spreading to Norse England(!). Between them, the Umayyads, and the Byzantines, Catholicism is having trouble. Heck, the HRE and Italy are both losing wars to multiple heretic religious rebellions. Now Catholicism is down to zero Religious Authority and is shrinking fast in provinces.

e: Oh, and the Slavic and Tengri religions have both reformed.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 14, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

TTBF posted:

HORSE LORDS is tomorrow right? What time do expansions usually come out?

They usually go live for me somewhere around 10am to noon US central time, whatever that translates to wherever you are. Sometimes they've gone up as early as 8 though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
have the patriarch of the east educate your heir

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Anyone have advice for converting pagans? I know that leaders having the Cynical trait makes them more receptive, but they still usually imprison my chaplain.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder what magical bugs we'll have tomorrow.

I'm betting that Nomads constantly switch wives and this causes the computer to go into a death spiral.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There really ought to be some kind of mechanic where a hidden bastard may have their true parentage revealed in adulthood (after having possibly acquired a title), since otherwise it seems like knocking up somebody's wife only helps them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

There really ought to be some kind of mechanic where a hidden bastard may have their true parentage revealed in adulthood (after having possibly acquired a title), since otherwise it seems like knocking up somebody's wife only helps them.

Or a way to come out and say "HEY, THIS IS MY KID" or "HEY, THIS IS NOT MY SPOUSE'S KID."

Though there would be some chaos if your bastard inherited his not-dad's titles when not-dad died and then you said "hey, he's my kid."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Midnight Voyager posted:

Or a way to come out and say "HEY, THIS IS MY KID" or "HEY, THIS IS NOT MY SPOUSE'S KID."

Though there would be some chaos if your bastard inherited his not-dad's titles when not-dad died and then you said "hey, he's my kid."

Presumably a landed noble could tell you to go piss up a rope if you question his parentage. It might get an opinion malus similar to the vile rumors, which might be just enough to tip the scales if he is in danger from a faction or plot already. But mostly once a competent guy has a realm under control it isn't all going to fall apart because someone claims he is a secret bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Angela Christine posted:

Presumably a landed noble could tell you to go piss up a rope if you question his parentage. It might get an opinion malus similar to the vile rumors, which might be just enough to tip the scales if he is in danger from a faction or plot already. But mostly once a competent guy has a realm under control it isn't all going to fall apart because someone claims he is a secret bastard.
It wouldn't be to make the realm fall apart, at least in my envisioning - it would be a way to make it under your dynasty's rule.

• Locked thread