Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Centripetal Horse posted:

Except for the part where it's likely that the "ginger" thing was total horseshit, and the airline just wanted to boot someone from an overbooked flight without having to take responsibility or provide compensation. There's no way any airline with a fleet consisting or more than one puddle-jumper doesn't see thousands of redheads per year.

Anything's possible, but "genuinely can't tell the difference between a redhead and an Ebola victim" seems less likely than "some other reason."

OK, at that point I *had* to click his link because I wanted to see how all that tied into trombone playing, gun shooting clown.

Sadly, it didn't. None of what you mention is in that article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

What kind of sick world do we live in where this sort of thing can happen somewhere other than Florida?

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Phyzzle posted:

What kind of sick world do we live in where this sort of thing can happen somewhere other than Florida?

It is the summer time, were it winter, they would have most likely been in Florida.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Welsh assembly UFO question prompts dip into trilingualism with Klingon

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Just for the record here, as far as constructed languages go, klingon is really lovely.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

Just for the record here, as far as constructed languages go, klingon is really lovely.

I remember hearing it is missing a lot of common items and objects, so instead of 'table' you had to say something like 'flat thing for putting upon.'

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

No one would notice if they changed Welsh with Klingon.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dienes posted:

I remember hearing it is missing a lot of common items and objects, so instead of 'table' you had to say something like 'flat thing for putting upon.'

Isn't that basically how some actual languages work?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Kind of, yeah. I can tell you that the Vietnamese term for "Air Conditioner" literally translates to "Cold Machine."

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dienes posted:

Pretty much, yeah. The language just outright doesn't have a ton of vocabulary that you need for normal conversations. The grammar structure is also completely backwards from what English uses, so it can seem more alien I guess. It uses an object-subject-verb object-verb-subject word order, so to give an example from wikipedia, instead of saying "Sam ate oranges" you'd say "oranges ate Sam".

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No, not really. With living languages, if there's a word you need but don't have, you can either make something up or borrow a term from somewhere else. Constructed languages can't evolve or change like that simply because nobody speaks them.

Wanamingo has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Jul 13, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

It uses an object-subject-verb word order, so to give an example from wikipedia, instead of saying "Sam ate oranges" you'd say "oranges ate Sam".

I'm no linguist, but wouldn't that be object - verb - subject?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm no linguist, but wouldn't that be object - verb - subject?

Whoops, you're right. Messed that up.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

That article has a link to another article with the name Obese woman shed 13 stone after heckling gang of men threw a KEBAB at her shouting 'Oi fatty!'

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think Klingon was originally meant as a prop to keep things consistent between movies (Later shows), so it reads more like a half-filled writer's bible they released to the public.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Wanamingo posted:

Pretty much, yeah. The language just outright doesn't have a ton of vocabulary that you need for normal conversations. The grammar structure is also completely backwards from what English uses, so it can seem more alien I guess. It uses an object-subject-verb object-verb-subject word order, so to give an example from wikipedia, instead of saying "Sam ate oranges" you'd say "oranges ate Sam".

No, not really. With living languages, if there's a word you need but don't have, you can either make something up or borrow a term from somewhere else. Constructed languages can't evolve or change like that simply because nobody speaks them.

The word order isn't such a big deal. It's better than making the language English but with word substitutions, and Object-Verb-Subject is rare, but apparently not unheard of in existing languages. The lack of vocabulary is a bigger problem, but what do you expect from a language meant primarily to maintain consistency between scripts, rather than actually be spoken by anyone.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

I think Klingon was originally meant as a prop to keep things consistent between movies (Later shows), so it reads more like a half-filled writer's bible they released to the public.

Klingon language has a tendency to pop up in weird stories, I remember a news story from a few years ago where police found a family with three children living in a filthy caravan, and the kids only spoke Klingon.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Furious prison guards forced to call violent thug Mighty Almighty after he changed name from Obi Wan Kenobi
This news site is full of great titles

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol is that Carol Goldsmith from WYFF 4?

She tried to join a local gym here but refused when they wouldn't give her a discount for being a local celebrity.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wanamingo posted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ChaosArgate posted:

Kind of, yeah. I can tell you that the Vietnamese term for "Air Conditioner" literally translates to "Cold Machine."

Sweet found my minimalist techno band name.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

You just typed this on a board with keys.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

No one has said it yet so here goes. "air conditioner" is a two word phrase to describe something that is less succinct and descriptive than "cold machine."

Something like "washing cat" for raccoon or "electric brain" for computer are funny but "air conditioner" is actually kind of archaic and stupid.

In what way is the air being conditioned? It's only because we all use that term and don't even think about it that "cold machine" sounds odd to us.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ChaosArgate posted:

My favorite is the Japanese word for "mortar," which is essentially an instruction manual. "Gun to be used on those who are armed for close combat" :v:

syscall girl posted:

In what way is the air being conditioned?

Aren't ACs also heating units, plus have some dehumidifying functions as well?

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Jul 15, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

syscall girl posted:

No one has said it yet so here goes. "air conditioner" is a two word phrase to describe something that is less succinct and descriptive than "cold machine."

Something like "washing cat" for raccoon or "electric brain" for computer are funny but "air conditioner" is actually kind of archaic and stupid.

In what way is the air being conditioned? It's only because we all use that term and don't even think about it that "cold machine" sounds odd to us.

Yeah, but cold machine is no better. Does it make the air cold? Or does it make water cold so it forms ice? Or is it for making food cold?

All words or terms are subjective, since unless you want to name everything with an overly descriptive sentence, they all have a meaning which is partiallty descriptive and partially interpretive.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i call em airfrigerators

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The White Dragon posted:

Yes, a chiller just makes the air cold. An air conditioner removes moisture as well, conditioning it.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
In England they're called Brisky Blowers.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
In the South, they're called God's Gift.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Byzantine posted:

In the South, they're called God's Gift.

They use the same term for children afflicted with major birth defects and malignant tumors that scare people into going to church.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

From panzer (tank) and schreck (fright). It's a tank-scarer! :3:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Ehud posted:

lol is that Carol Goldsmith from WYFF 4?

She tried to join a local gym here but refused when they wouldn't give her a discount for being a local celebrity.

Ha, I was 98% certain I recognized her. I actually know one of the editors there, although I'm pretty sure he mostly works with video so the peeing Tom probably wasn't his fault.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

They use the same term for children afflicted with major birth defects and malignant tumors that scare people into going to church.

As seen on various gospel LP sleeves from the 1960s.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My college paper actually used "peeing tom" in a headline, on purpose. Dude was caught urinating while looking in a window.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

To continue the linguistics derail, my favorite language for that is Icelandic which is really traditional. There's a language institute that is responsible for figuring out a word whenever a new thing needs it, and they go back through icelandic and norse lore to find something suitable. Loanwords aren't used. So when "computer" came along it was translated into "tala völva" ("numbers oracle"), and then shortened to "tölva".

Of course what the institute says and what people actually use are some times different things. So for instance a kiwi fruit translates into "loðber" ("hairy berry"), but everyone just calls it a kiwi anyway.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I loved loðber in Monster's Ball.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

My favorite is the Japanese word for "mortar," which is essentially an instruction manual. "Gun to be used on those who are armed for close combat" :v:
What would the direct translation be for mortar as is used in brick walls?

The White Dragon posted:

What I really like at a restaurant is when a patron asks the server to "turn the AC down". Is that turn the temperature on the unit down, turn down how often it runs, the statement as a whole doesn't inherently make sense but we take it for granted that they are cold and don't want to put something on to get warmer.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sure, but the idea of a spacefaring civilization not having a native word for "table" is a bit ridiculous.

My personal favorites are German and Chinese: Feuerzeug is German for "lighter" (as in cigarettes), and literally means "fire-thing". In Mandarin, a lot of adjectives (which also function as verbs!) are compounds with 好 hǎo, "good", such as: 好吃 hǎochī "tasty", lit. "good eat", 好笑 hǎoxiào "funny", lit. "good laugh".

Languages are cool as heck.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drgnwr1 posted:

What would the direct translation be for mortar as is used in brick walls?

I believe that translates into "make brick stick to form a wall."