Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

New Leaf posted:

My wife and I have finally been watching Korra and that is loving amazing.

why would a married man watch a show for children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Korra owns and was a ridiculously adult/progressive cartoon for what it was, which was why Nick axed it from the panel to send it to online-only.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bitter Mushroom posted:

it's p. good at the third and fourth season

If you hadn't said married I would've made a joke about bronies.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Erebus posted:

Look at this loser can't even get his costume right he's probably not even a real fan

(Congressman John Lewis at Comic-Con, cosplaying as himself from 50 years ago during the Selma to Montgomery marches)

Man I hate when people don't even try with their costumes. "Oh yeah I'm going as myself. lol get it?"

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Why would adults play dress-up and then post in a thread their favorite examples of adults playing dress-up?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Because it entertains us?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Because it's for all ages not just for children?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Are you guys really biting on such a simple troll

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
This was taken back in January, but the folks who work on the Dresden Fan Filming project plus one lucky hanger-on (me) got a chance to take a group photo in a proper studio with the author.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Capacitor posted:

This was taken back in January, but the folks who work on the Dresden Fan Filming project plus one lucky hanger-on (me) got a chance to take a group photo in a proper studio with the author.

I was going to ask who the hell the dude on the left was, and then I recognized the hair.

The awful, awful hair.

Dresden's clothing is spot on, if nothing else. And Karin down there isn't half-bad, if you ignore the wrong hair color.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

RickVoid posted:

I was going to ask who the hell the dude on the left was, and then I recognized the hair.

The awful, awful hair.

Dresden's clothing is spot on, if nothing else. And Karin down there isn't half-bad, if you ignore the wrong hair color.

My fiancée (said Murphy) used to bleach her hair, but no matter what colour she picked people would nitpick about it.

Also technically Murphy's hair is described as Shirley Temple blonde so :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

duz posted:

Because it's for all ages not just for children?

Korra is for no ages.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RickVoid posted:

The awful, awful hair.

Jim Butcher's a really nice guy in-person. He did signings at Supanova in Australia a few years back (as well as a panel), and I got him to sign my hardcover copy of Changes :allears:.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Axel Serenity posted:

Korra owns and was a ridiculously adult/progressive cartoon for what it was, which was why Nick axed it from the panel to send it to online-only.

The first Avatar was a smartly written show aimed at kids 7-13 that developed a massive adult fanbase. Korra was the result of the writers trying to replicate the success with a more "mature" show and Nick getting pissed that it wasn't an instant hit with their kid fanbase. It also seemed that someone at Nick just plain didn't like the show or Bryko, and such sentiments had been expressed by Bryko in cagey terms because they didn't want to outright say "Nickelodeon hosed us over, went back on their promises, did literally nothing to promote or market the show"

Korra also attracted an insane amount of tumblr attention, particularly with the "shipping" people who insisted that Korra and Asami for gay for each other, and the absolutely insane slapfights that occurred after the finale when the anti crowd would not stop screaming that the finale depiction of Korra/Asami was 100% platonic and until the showrunners made a definitive statement no one could edit wikipedia to reflect the change (so, basically edit wars for days).

Eventually Bryko flat out said "Yeah, Korra and Asami got together in a romantic way" which silenced most it but created a fuckton of angry and resentful people who now declared their showed ruined forever retroactively.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A friend tried to get me to watch Avatar but it wasn't for me. The monster that could steal your face if you changed expression while making eye contact with him was p cool though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

MOBA's and people that dress up like characters from them make me feel like grampa Simpson

"Oh you're one of those things from League of DOTA or something..........solo mid or jungler I don't fuckin' know anymore"

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

RedneckwithGuns posted:

MOBA's and people that dress up like characters from them make me feel like grampa Simpson

"Oh you're one of those things from League of DOTA or something..........solo mid or jungler I don't fuckin' know anymore"

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

RedneckwithGuns posted:

That's (a really loving good) Jinx. She's probably one of the most popular MOBA cosplays because she's essentially Harley Quinn with a shark gun.

Of course, how you feel about MOBAs is how I feel about most Homestuck/Anime cosaplay. "Oh you have pink hair and some bigass weapon you must be something famous."

Not to say they don't all do impressive jobs, but drat there are a lot of fandoms out there now. It's so hard to keep track of what's what.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Warhammer 40K Muppet?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RareAcumen posted:

A Warhammer 40K Muppet?

Probably, but I don't know what the costume is meant to be.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Jedit posted:

Probably, but I don't know what the costume is meant to be.

Timbersaw from Dota 2

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr Wikstroem posted:

Timbersaw from Dota 2

Specifically, it's one of Timbersaw's cosmetic sets, the Steam Chopper. By default, Timbersaw's mech is a lot more rough and practical; he's basically piloting a sawmill.

Most cosplays of that kind you'll see are from League of Legends, though, I think because cosplay is the field that Riot themselves give the most support to. Dota's creative fanbase is more based around making in-game visual stuff, thanks to Valve being really open about that and including ways to officially release them for the modeler to make money from.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:37 on Jul 14, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I can recall every single pokémon and arrange them by height, but I can't remember a single dota thing. It's not that they're hard to keep track of, it's just hard to make me care.

Good costume, though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Relevant: http://io9.com/the-most-creative-and-sensational-cosplay-of-san-diego-1717564256

A lot of these are amazing. I especially like the Jon Snow.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

pentyne posted:

The first Avatar was a smartly written show aimed at kids 7-13 that developed a massive adult fanbase. Korra was the result of the writers trying to replicate the success with a more "mature" show and Nick getting pissed that it wasn't an instant hit with their kid fanbase. It also seemed that someone at Nick just plain didn't like the show or Bryko, and such sentiments had been expressed by Bryko in cagey terms because they didn't want to outright say "Nickelodeon hosed us over, went back on their promises, did literally nothing to promote or market the show"

Korra also attracted an insane amount of tumblr attention, particularly with the "shipping" people who insisted that Korra and Asami for gay for each other, and the absolutely insane slapfights that occurred after the finale when the anti crowd would not stop screaming that the finale depiction of Korra/Asami was 100% platonic and until the showrunners made a definitive statement no one could edit wikipedia to reflect the change (so, basically edit wars for days).

Eventually Bryko flat out said "Yeah, Korra and Asami got together in a romantic way" which silenced most it but created a fuckton of angry and resentful people who now declared their showed ruined forever retroactively.

Posts like this make me somewhat wish the internet had never been invented.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

That guy definitely liked doing that pose. Stolen from a friend's Facebook when she visited San Diego:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

All that effort wasted on such a hideous set.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BattleCattle posted:

I can recall every single pokémon and arrange them by height, but I can't remember a single dota thing. It's not that they're hard to keep track of, it's just hard to make me care.

Good costume, though.
:qirex:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hotbutt posted:

That guy definitely liked doing that pose.

That's the only pose that character had in the entire movie, he appeared on screen for about 2 seconds total. :v:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Posting this half because it's a Jessica Nigri cosplay with no cleavage and half because I know how y'all love angled photos!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

McPantserton posted:

Posting this half because it's a Jessica Nigri cosplay with no cleavage and half because I know how y'all love angled photos!

At full size, that picture gives me motion sickness.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

She's talented and hot. Also, pretty sure crazy.

Future ex-wife?

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
Eh I don't dig balding chicks

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
How can I say this?

Thank you for saying that in a way I was not talented enough to.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Holy gently caress! This!

• Locked thread