Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

One of the problems with spells in Skyrim was that they forgot to make damage scale with the spell level like how melee damage [scaled] with the weapon level, which indicated that removing stats was done sometime late during development and someone didn't figure out the full implications of doing that.
I think its more that Bethesda didn't really think the balance of their encounter design and crafting system through. If you play on Normal difficulty and don't use crafting, magic feels okay damage wise.
It's when you start to compare magic to crafting-buffed melee/ranged, or start to play on higher difficulties that magic starts looking useless.

Also I always suspected a big problem Bethesda ran into was Shouting. Shouts are functionally another form of magic and, when it comes to the setting and story, way more important. Maybe the removal of spellcrafting and not implementing potentially neat stuff like spellcombes woth their dual-wield system was a misguided attempt at making sure magic wouldn't overshadow the shouts?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I think Bethesda has always been a little salty about how much better NV did than F3
Yes. I'm sure Bethesda hated making a lot of money of New vegas.

Edit:

marktheando posted:

Really? NV sold better than F3? That is the opposite of the way I assumed it went down. 3 certainly got better reviews.
I don't think there is any real data about which sold better. Some people may quote Steam data (which does indicate more people own New vegas), but that's meaningless since the original retail PC version of FO3 wasn't a Steam title.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

What I disliked most of all besides the nonsensical plot was that they kept talking poo poo to my face even after I became Guild Master. The flavor lines in particular didn't seem to change at all, so they would still start insulting you as soon as you stepped into the room.

That is a major problem with Skyrim in general, and it has a really easy solution: the NPCs either say something the first time they meet you, or they say it considerably more periodically, say once every week or every 30 days. It is definitely something they should implement, so that I don't have to murder the person telling me that the cold won't be good for his crops, who follows me into my house to continue telling me.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

frajaq posted:

Why would they be salty?

I kind of got that impression too.

The reception among gamers for NV was far more positive than for Oblivion with Guns Fallout 3, and I just get the sense that it really irked them. I dunno.

e: Why can't we go back to the days when the main questline and NPCs were voiced, and everyone else wasn't. That was the best system IMO, even if it did lead to the occasional "Hey this random grunt has a voice, guess he must be important" moment.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

The reception among gamers for NV was far more positive than for Oblivion with Guns Fallout 3, and I just get the sense that it really irked them. I dunno.

If by gamers you mean goons. I don't think it's necessarily universally the case that people prefer New Vegas.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vengarr posted:

No it wasn't, 3 got better reviewed. You are talking about "people like me seem to like NV better", when the reality is you are the minority of game buyers. Go to something like Metacritic, 3 kicks NVs rear end. And that wide audience has always been who Bethesda targets. Saying something like "Yeah but real gamers" immediately marks you as irrelevant to everything they do, even if what you say is correct. Bethesda is in the business of making money, and they are *super* good at it. They don't care about hardcore gamer credibility.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They're both pretty good games, but as a pretty big fan of Bethesda's work, it is hard for me to believe that most people who played both games don't like New Vegas better.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't think NV was welcomed positively since it was released a couple of years after F3 when it was starting to get old.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Vengarr posted:

I kind of got that impression too.

The other side of the coin is that there are a lot of gamers out there that don't know/care that it was Obsidian that did NV. My friends that played Fallout 3 and NV on consoles liked them both and agreed that NV is obviously better, but as far as they know Bethesda was responsible for both :v:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah people are living in a goon bubble if they think Joe Public prefers New Vegas to Fallout 3.

Vengarr posted:

e: Why can't we go back to the days when the main questline and NPCs were voiced, and everyone else wasn't. That was the best system IMO, even if it did lead to the occasional "Hey this random grunt has a voice, guess he must be important" moment.

Because it is the 21st century.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm Joe Public, though.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

frajaq posted:

Why would they be salty?

Projection

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

oh man goddamn obsidian making us boatloads of cash for less than half the investment we put in fallout 3 :jerkbag:

marktheando posted:

Because it is the 21st century.
Sounds like a bunch of nerds have to pitch in their own voices for these quest mod projects :smug:

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

They're both pretty good games, but as a pretty big fan of Bethesda's work, it is hard for me to believe that most people who played both games don't like New Vegas better.

It is like asking a mother to pick between two sons.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
On Steam NV regularly has 4X or more players as FO3, if that's anything to go by.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Faded Mars posted:

On Steam NV regularly has 4X or more players as FO3, if that's anything to go by.
It does help that you can put FO3 in NV and have a more stable and thus enjoyable experience

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Faded Mars posted:

It's not, as was said when FO3 came out it wasn't a Steam game. So it could have a zillion times more people playing it, they wouldn't show up on a list.

e: That being said, I'd bet on NV having a stronger presence over time. There's just no way to reliably test it.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 13, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Faded Mars posted:

It would be interesting to do statistical analysis on the achievements that players have earned in each (as a proxy of game progress), limiting your dataset to a significant number who bought both games around the same time.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Wouldn't the easiest comparison be to measure the traffic on the Nexus' F03 and New Vegas sites? And before you say that excludes console players... I don't give a poo poo about console players.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Nevets posted:

Wouldn't the easiest comparison be to measure the traffic on the Nexus' F03 and New Vegas sites? And before you say that excludes console players... I don't give a poo poo about console players.

That's dumb because a significant amount of people played them on consoles.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

We've already established that weirdo PC spergs like New Vegas more, we're talking about actual human beings (also that would exclude people who don't still play a game that came out 7 years ago)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nevets posted:

Console players are a non-significant amount of people. So ignoring them in this context is a bit silly. Additionally not all PC gamers use mods.
And the existence of TTW and the fact that even without TTW mods for FO3 can be used for F:NV (and vice versa) makes the Nexus' numbers meaningless anyway.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nevets posted:

Definitely not. Modding is an incredibly poor metric for just playing the game, even if you gloss over ignoring console players.

Getting some sort of pooled sample of achievement data from Steam, the 360 and the PS3, analyzing that, and then performing regression analysis against several factors would probably give you a pretty decent idea about various questions that you could ask regarding popularity over time.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

My thoughts on FO3 vs NV.
FO3 had way more creative locations. NV's locations were pretty meh in general for me. Even the strip failed to have that "stepping off the ruined streets into a different world" feeling it really should've had. So I preferred FO3 for that reason, regardless of improvements NV made on 3. (although both games were awesome) Bethesda were incredibly creative with their locations. Setting for me is huge.

Fallout 3's villains wore advanced and menacing power armor and shot sci-fi plasma guns. The main badguys in NV wore spraypainted sports equipment and ran around hucking spears. It's not that difficult to assume which the average person not invested in the fiction would be impressed more by when opening a wallet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maybe what separates me from Joe Average Fallout Player is that I haven't owned any X Boxes or Playstations since 2, and can only fathom playing these games on a PC, with WASD. I don't think that makes me a "sperg" though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Suave Fedora posted:

It is like asking a mother to pick between two sons.

Truly a modern day Sophie's Choice

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe what separates me from Joe Average Fallout Player is that I haven't owned any X Boxes or Playstations since 2, and can only fathom playing these games on a PC, with WASD. I don't think that makes me a "sperg" though.

I've owned all of the Playstations and Xboxes and I still can't fathom playing Fallout games anywhere but a PC

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Azhais posted:

Truly a modern day Sophie's Choice

I've owned all of the Playstations and Xboxes and I still can't fathom playing Fallout games anywhere but a PC

I played fallout 3 on pc and the 360, it's fine either way. Stealth is better with an analogue controller though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cheap Shot posted:

Fallout 3's villains wore advanced and menacing power armor and shot sci-fi plasma guns. The main badguys in NV wore spraypainted sports equipment and ran around hucking spears. It's not that difficult to assume which the average person not invested in the fiction would be impressed more by when opening a wallet.
The person you're describing wouldn't be playing both games and comparing the Enclave to Caesar's Legion. He'd be in the store, holding both boxes in his hands and looking at the cover art.

And let's all be honest: New Vegas easily beats FO3 here. That NCR Ranger armour just looks cooler then that T-45d.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Raygereio posted:

The person you're describing wouldn't be playing both games and comparing the Enclave to Caesar's Legion. He'd be in the store, holding both boxes in his hands and looking at the cover art.

And let's all be honest: New Vegas easily beats FO3 here. That NCR Ranger armour just looks cooler then that T-45d.

I mean, I completely agree with you there. NCR Ranger armor makes me weak in the knees.
But I don't know that everyone would agree with us. I can picture people picking out the T-45d armor as looking cooler.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The NCR ranger does look cooler but to be fair I don't recall seeing a single one of those dudes in game even after ~100 hours.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Odobenidae posted:

The NCR ranger does look cooler but to be fair I don't recall seeing a single one of those dudes in game even after ~100 hours.
You didn't get to see anything like that til the end of the game ala Fallout 1 and 2.

Kind of a bad gag, I know.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Odobenidae posted:

They're normally stationed at Camp Golf, and will come and gently caress your poo poo up if you get on the NCR's bad side.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Suave Fedora posted:

I've about to start the DLCs now, having never done them before. How would you rank them in order of worst to best?

Operation Anchorage
The Pitt
Broken Steel
Mothership Zeta
Point Lookout

?

Mothership Zeta is an odd duck that can be very love it or hate it depending on how it hits you. Some people are okay with being allowed to just shoot space aliens and not really care about having much of a spaceship to explore while others think its pure monkey cheese. Only really worth it for the energy weapons it puts into the game.

Operation Anchorage is insulting more because of how little it gives new character to The Outcasts than how very busy work a majority of the add-on is. Fun to break the first time taking out the huge healthed VR items but that's about the only thing you get out of doing this.

Broken Steel is a very Bethesda answer to controversy. Todd Howard admits people didn't like his original ending and gave them the ability to wander the endgame forever in the roughly 2 hours worth of extra content that's sold to you, make someone else push the radioactive room button or survive the encounter. its a mixed bag of content, but the worst parts about it are the injustice done to Liberty Prime and adding in Albino Radscorpions into the game that none of the NPCs can really handle. Kind of fun and kind of boring at the same time.

The Pitt is a decent attempt at a standalone location, but can suffer from the same problems people had with Honest Hearts as all of its choices are very Catch-22 for most of the characters involved. It tried to mix things up with how very black and white morality was in Fallout 3, but in my eyes not very well executed. Worst part about it was having to hunt down steel ingots if you didn't know how to console command 100 of them into your inventory.

Point Lookout second to last DLC and in my opinion the best of the worst, so to speak. It has atmosphere, it has weird new creatures, it involves a culture that wasn't seen at all in any other Fallout and is ripe for showing us how a permanent 1950s South could have operated when the rest of 21st century America seemed okay with mix racial relationships and even gay cohabitation/marriage? It even has memorable major players; an obvious bad guy and an rear end in a top hat! Only is issue how bullet spongey the Swampfolk are like the rest of the new enemies made moving around more a chore than a scare.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 14, 2015

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Bicyclops posted:

Lack of self-awareness is one of the defining features.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe what separates me from Joe Average Fallout Player is that I haven't owned any X Boxes or Playstations since 2, and can only fathom playing these games on a PC, with WASD.

where did you get xbox 2? i thought the latest one was xbox one :saddowns:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They're normally stationed at Camp Golf, and will come and gently caress your poo poo up if you get on the NCR's bad side.

It was also the case in Fallout 3 that one of the fastest ways to get the coolest armor was to be evil enough to get the good-guy hit squads after you.

Actually, I remember that worked out for me in Fallout 2 as well. I once greased Vault City's government and guards, and pretty soon I was being assaulted by hit squads in power armor with Gatling Lasers. It was kind of obnoxious trying to continue after that, though, because said hit squads would jump me every pixel of the world map. Much easier to just sneak into Navarro for the good poo poo.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I still don't know why people hate Operation Anchorage so much. It's a relatively short sidequest with a setting that is finally not a green wasteland and you get the Gauss Rifle in the end.

It's not much but just enough.

Cheap Shot posted:

My thoughts on FO3 vs NV.
FO3 had way more creative locations. NV's locations were pretty meh in general for me. Even the strip failed to have that "stepping off the ruined streets into a different world" feeling it really should've had. So I preferred FO3 for that reason, regardless of improvements NV made on 3. (although both games were awesome) Bethesda were incredibly creative with their locations. Setting for me is huge.

How dare you defend Fallout 3, why don't you write an essay about how Little Lamplight would make New Vegas better!

Lotish posted:

It was also the case in Fallout 3 that one of the fastest ways to get the coolest armor was to be evil enough to get the good-guy hit squads after you.

Actually, I remember that worked out for me in Fallout 2 as well. I once greased Vault City's government and guards, and pretty soon I was being assaulted by hit squads in power armor with Gatling Lasers. It was kind of obnoxious trying to continue after that, though, because said hit squads would jump me every pixel of the world map. Much easier to just sneak into Navarro for the good poo poo.

Wait, how did you do that?

There are no Power Armor hit squads in F2, the only ones who wear power armor in that game are the Enclave and maybe one or two Brotherhood guys.

You also cannot loot Armor in F2.

Bholder fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 14, 2015

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bholder posted:

I still don't know why people hate Operation Anchorage so much. It's a relatively short sidequest with a setting that is finally not a green wasteland and you get the Gauss Rifle in the end.
It's a linear shooting gallery DLC, for an open-world-sandboxy-game which has poo poo shooter-gameplay. The whole DLC is focused around the weakest aspects of FO3.

Crabtree posted:

The Pitt <snip> Worst part about it was having to hunt down steel ingots if you didn't know how to console command 100 of them into your inventory.
:psyduck: That was the best part of the DLC. The steelyard s the only area where Bethesda actually tried their hand at some vertical level design and it turned out as a pretty cool place to explore.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's not, as was said when FO3 came out it wasn't a Steam game. So it could have a zillion times more people playing it, they wouldn't show up on a list.

e: That being said, I'd bet on NV having a stronger presence over time. There's just no way to reliably test it.

fo3 had gfwl but you could buy it day one from steam. i bet the majority of people buying it on pc was from steam. i have no idea where this idea that fo3 wasn't a steam game came from.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Raygereio posted:

It's a linear shooting gallery DLC, for an open-world-sandboxy-game which has poo poo shooter-gameplay. The whole DLC is focused around the weakest aspects of FO3.

Yeah, but it was short and different enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

fo3 had gfwl but you could buy it day one from steam. i bet the majority of people buying it on pc was from steam. i have no idea where this idea that fo3 wasn't a steam game came from.
The point is that unlike F:NV, FO3 wasn't steam-exclusive. All copies of F:NV use Steam. The disc versions and non-Steam digital releases of FO3 did not use Steam.

Bholder posted:

Yeah, but it was short and different enough.
The fact that it was short is another reason why people hated it. A lot of reviews for OA bitched about how little content you got for the price tag. I know I would be annoyed if I paid 10 bucks for a DLC that takes barely 2 hours.

• Locked thread