Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Lorini posted:

All I use is FFG but my budget won't stand for me to sleeve all my Dominion cards. I'm not dealing with a company (Mayday) who tries to deal with their defective poo poo by sending it all over the place to other customers, that's just too ridiculous for words (this was their initial response to the crappy Crokinole boards they sold).

Beat me to it, but yes, when Mayfair received many complaints from customers that the Crokinole boards that they purchased were warped and unplayable, the company had customers shipping their warped boards to other customers who had received warp boards without telling them who they were sending their boards to. Eventually people began to match up their stores of boardgamegeek and outed the whole deal.

Mayday is a sketchy, criminal company, please do not give them any money for anything.

Triple-Kan fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Triple-Kan posted:

Mayfair is a sketchy, criminal company, please do not give them any money for anything.

Mayfair is the company that publishes Settlers of Catan and 18XX. Whatever your opinions on Catan, it's not a crime. They are unrelated to the shady Mayday Games, who make card sleeves and a couple lovely games nobody has heard of.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Currently going through a fiasco with Mayday from the Viceroy kickstarter, just check the comments to find out how lovely they've handled the whole production. From constant misinformation regarding when production would be finished, when games would be shipped, and now people are finally getting their games shipped from China in bubble wrap envelopes and their boxes are all smashed up and missing components and KS stretch goals.

Here's a synopsis of just a couple months someone posted in the comments

"I reread all the updates looking for information on the status of the game. Here is an update of the latest updates done by Mayday:
7th of May: Game in production, will be finished next week.
26th of May: Game is produced. It will be delivered late May/early June (for non-US/non-EU backers)
29th of May: Production will be finished within a week (afterwards Seth admitted a delay in the comments)
13th of June: (non-US/non-EU) Games are shipping out this week
29th of June: (non-US/non-EU) Games are being shipped."

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Mayday sleeves are cheap and awful. Unfortunately, Mayday is sometimes the only provider for weirdly sized cards like 7 Wonders. If you must buy from them, order more than the bare minimum because I can guarantee you some of them will be defective.

Use FFG or Ultra Pro clear sleeves whenever possible, they're only slightly more expensive than Mayday but the quality is far higher and those companies aren't nearly as lovely.

Don't bother with expensive rear end sleeves from Dragon Shield or KMC for board games. Those are fine for using on 75 card Magic decks worth hundreds or thousands of dollars, but it makes no sense to spend that much protecting a 500 card Dominion expansion. You're better off rebuying the expansion for $50.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

EBag posted:

Currently going through a fiasco with Mayday from the Viceroy kickstarter, just check the comments to find out how lovely they've handled the whole production. From constant misinformation regarding when production would be finished, when games would be shipped, and now people are finally getting their games shipped from China in bubble wrap envelopes and their boxes are all smashed up and missing components and KS stretch goals.

"I reread all the updates looking for information on the status of the game. Here is an update of the latest updates done by Mayday:
26th of May: Game is produced. It will be delivered late May/early June (for non-US/non-EU backers)
29th of May: Production will be finished within a week (afterwards Seth admitted a delay in the comments)

Don't kickstart games. Especially games made by established companies.

EBag
May 18, 2006

It was the first game I kickstarted, and didn't bother to really look into the company producing it. The game just sounded good and the price was right. But yah, live and learn.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Thanks for the sleevestalk(tm) guys, I guess I forgot that people go all-out with sleeving Magic cards due to their lovely rarity and expense of the cards due to the random rarity, something that isn't an issue in board games and/or even LCGs like Netrunner.

I guess that explains why everything I read online was kind of a spiral down to "JUST BUY THE ULTRA HYPER MATTE SLEEVES THAT ARE 15CENTS EACH!" I forgot that some nerds are trying to protect like 500$ cards or something crazy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah if you're trying to protect your MTG dual lands that's kinda a whole other ballgame than just "I wanna sleeve my cards"

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Mayday sleeves are cheap and awful. Unfortunately, Mayday is sometimes the only provider for weirdly sized cards like 7 Wonders. If you must buy from them, order more than the bare minimum because I can guarantee you some of them will be defective.

Use FFG or Ultra Pro clear sleeves whenever possible, they're only slightly more expensive than Mayday but the quality is far higher and those companies aren't nearly as lovely.

Don't bother with expensive rear end sleeves from Dragon Shield or KMC for board games. Those are fine for using on 75 card Magic decks worth hundreds or thousands of dollars, but it makes no sense to spend that much protecting a 500 card Dominion expansion. You're better off rebuying the expansion for $50.

I'm pretty sure the 7 Wonders sleeves I got were Ultra Pro. I've only had two of them tear on me, and they shuffle fairly nicely without sticking. That's about as much as I want out of a sleeve.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't kickstart games. Especially games made by established companies.

I got a Kickstarter update this morning with a link to track the cargo ship bringing my copy of Steampunk Rally from China. Roxley is doing a really good job keeping things transparent.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Myrmidongs posted:

I'm pretty sure the 7 Wonders sleeves I got were Ultra Pro. I've only had two of them tear on me, and they shuffle fairly nicely without sticking. That's about as much as I want out of a sleeve.

I just looked and UP does have sleeves for 7 Wonders now. I'm fairly sure they didn't back when it first came out. Kinda makes me want to resleeve the game... :homebrew:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Mayday is the only company that makes sleeves for Tash-Kalar or Space Alert size cards. :(

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

unpronounceable posted:

Mayday is the only company that makes sleeves for Tash-Kalar or Space Alert size cards. :(

They know their rep is so bad they have to do something that no one else is doing currently, otherwise they'd be out of business. I wish publishers would be more sensitive to sleeving and designing their products to either fit with existing sleeves or like FFG, provide a way to buy the sleeves that are needed without going to Mayday.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

No sleeves. Rubber bands for storage. Riffle shuffle. :colbert:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Scyther posted:

Please don't troll.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Scyther posted:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Ojetor posted:

You're better off rebuying the expansion for $50.

For Dominion, this is fine, because that game is so popular, it is going to be a long time before that game is out of print. For most other games, there is no guarentee of that, and personally I don't want to rely on the general populace and its terrible taste in games continually buying a game I like so that I can rebuy it when my copy is damaged or destroyed.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

My Dominion is all in Mayday cheap sleeves. I don't really have any complaints. I think you need sleeves to shuffle fast enough, and the Mayday ones do that. Every once in a while we replace a boinked sleeve, but they're cheap so we don't card (I have like 500 sitting on my cupboard).

In other news: Lost Legacy seems pretty bad (today we were playing Flying Gardens).

Too many of the cards are boring durdles, and too many turns go by without making any kind of decision. Hand is Wound/Storyteller.. hmm, yeah, play Storyteller. Wound/Wound. OK, uh Wound. Wound/Legacy. Legacy. Now I get to watch the other players play "guess the ruin card", where none of them have any possible information. Great. I like Love Letter, but it also represents the lower bounds for how little thinking/decision making I'm willing to put up with. It seems like around 60% of your turns in Love Letter were auto-pilot, here it feels like 90% are. I literally played 4 games in a row today without having a single decision - not even a guess - to make.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Magnetic North posted:

For Dominion, this is fine, because that game is so popular, it is going to be a long time before that game is out of print. For most other games, there is no guarentee of that, and personally I don't want to rely on the general populace and its terrible taste in games continually buying a game I like so that I can rebuy it when my copy is damaged or destroyed.

I agree! You should definitely sleeve responsibly to perserve your games given that reprints are few and far between.

That specific comment was meant to illustrate just how expensive KMC and Dragon Shield are. At 8+ bucks for a pack of 80, sleeving a Dominion expansion in those is literally more expensive than buying a spare copy.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

cenotaph posted:

The core is actually quite well balanced and the expansion cards are bad and less balanced. The asymmetry isn't handled particularly well because it tends to lead to one-note strategies, particularly for khorne and nurgle. And yeah, the dice suck. I really loved the game when I first started getting more into board games but now I just consider it slightly above average.

I'm not sure why the straightforward strategy is a bad thing? Playing Khorne is still interesting even though everyone knows that you're going to try and win by dial.

CitOW is an example of how I like my asymmetry. You always play with every faction, its designed around that and you don't ever go "don't pick X here for reasons you can't understand yet" (the upgrades are a different matter - too many poo poo options). For people who like the exploration aspect of asymmetry there's still plenty of game to explore between the four gods.

The dice are pretty lovely though.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Bubble-T posted:

I'm not sure why the straightforward strategy is a bad thing? Playing Khorne is still interesting even though everyone knows that you're going to try and win by dial.

CitOW is an example of how I like my asymmetry. You always play with every faction, its designed around that and you don't ever go "don't pick X here for reasons you can't understand yet" (the upgrades are a different matter - too many poo poo options). For people who like the exploration aspect of asymmetry there's still plenty of game to explore between the four gods.

Well I specifically said one note rather than straight forward because I don't find the smaller tactical decisions attached to "spread out and roll well" to be particularly interesting. I mean it's still a good game and all but it could be better.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Ooh, card sleeve chat. Are there any good sites out there that tell you what size cards you need for which games (maybe I missed a link if there was one)? I tried searching [game name] + card sleeves and came up with tons of random sizes. Do I just need to measure the cards and search for card sleeves 2" by 3" or whatever? I need odd sizes for games like Dixit and Blood Bowl Team Manager, among others.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Skutter posted:

Ooh, card sleeve chat. Are there any good sites out there that tell you what size cards you need for which games (maybe I missed a link if there was one)? I tried searching [game name] + card sleeves and came up with tons of random sizes. Do I just need to measure the cards and search for card sleeves 2" by 3" or whatever? I need odd sizes for games like Dixit and Blood Bowl Team Manager, among others.

There's a card sleeve geekist at the bottom of most popular games on BGG. Just scroll down and click on the actual list. It'll give you the card size.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Lorini posted:

There's a card sleeve geekist at the bottom of most popular games on BGG. Just scroll down and click on the actual list. It'll give you the card size.

How have I not noticed that before? :doh: Thank you!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Bubble-T posted:

The dice in CiTOW are a total pain and one of the few things I dislike about it. Is there anything that could fix them? Random battle results seems integrated into the design, so the alternatives I'm thinking (card based etc) probably wouldn't work.

Edit: A Game of Thrones/ Kemet style card system could work, with four stats: strength (higher wins battle), damage (casualties inflicted by winner), health (casualties avoided by loser), text effects (dickery)
Khorne would be strong/ lots of damage, Nurgle would be strong/ health, Slaanesh would be a nice mix of everything and Tzeentch would be crap on the first 3 stats, but combine every card with text effects full of complete Greyjoy/ patchface style dickery. The game figures could add to one of the stats, making them a bit more useful than just +x dice/ +x HP.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 14, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EBag posted:

Mayday have been screwed by two different manufacturers on this project, so don't be too harsh on them.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

The Supreme Court posted:

The dice in CiTOW are a total pain and one of the few things I dislike about it. Is there anything that could fix them? Random battle results seems integrated into the design, so the alternatives I'm thinking (card based etc) probably wouldn't work.

Edit: A Game of Thrones/ Kemet style card system could work, with four stats: strength (higher wins battle), damage (casualties inflicted by winner), health (casualties avoided by loser), text effects (dickery)
Khorne would be strong/ lots of damage, Nurgle would be strong/ health, Slaanesh would be a nice mix of everything and Tzeentch would be crap on the first 3 stats, but combine every card with text effects full of complete Greyjoy/ patchface style dickery. The game figures could add to one of the stats, making them a bit more useful than just +x dice/ +x HP.

Comedy(?) option: sub in Forbidden Stars combat card system. :D

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Are the rules up for \m/BLOOD RAGE\m/ yet? I know that Rodney Smith and some people played and recorded a game with Eric Lang at a con recently but the camera was stolen, iirc. Anyways it's supposed to have a lot in common with CitOW and I wonder how combat is in it. I don't think CMoN is as good at development as modern FFG, since Arcadia Quest is fun but really rough around the edges, so it could suffer a bit in that respect.

e: man the cover for this game looks rad as hell. like an amon amarth album cover or something.

e: I guess Tom Vasel, patron saint of goofy hats, has a review up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-xnMFhk62M. Someone said it's his game of the year so far so that's good/bad/ERR_VASEL

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 14, 2015

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

Mayfair is the company that publishes Settlers of Catan and 18XX. Whatever your opinions on Catan, it's not a crime. They are unrelated to the shady Mayday Games, who make card sleeves and a couple lovely games nobody has heard of.

Whoops, fixed.

Jedit posted:

Mayday have been screwed by two different manufacturers on this project, so don't be too harsh on them.

Mayday is either stupidly criminal or criminally stupid. They really don't deserve a second thought.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Someone said it's his game of the year so far so it's just fun
Fixed.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Holy crap I watched the review and the chemistry between those guys is so great. They like the game but everyone besides Tom looks like they are horribly constipated or lost a bet or something. Sam's utter disgust with Tom saying that Cosmic Encounter fans will enjoy this ("well what if they like sci fi"). It's wonderful. Also, it's weird but my mind has melded Tom Vasel and Rutibex so my brain wants to assume he's trolling

Anyways, rutibexTom says it's likely in his top 20 games of all time so wrap it up europe

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Man, the support cards in Star Trek Catan really change the game flow.

And for the better, I feel. They help eliminate dead turns and mitigate poor decisions. Some let you move the robber, trade easier, or help you buy stuff.

It speeds the early game up immensely, and even add some strategy. You might want to hamper someone else by taking the card best suited to their game.

I'm a huge Catan buff, loving it despite its flaws, and this really is the best way to play the game.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

And for the better, I feel. They help eliminate dead turns and mitigate poor decisions. Some let you move the robber, trade easier, or help you buy stuff.

It speeds the early game up immensely, and even add some strategy. You might want to hamper someone else by taking the card best suited to their game.

I'm a huge Catan buff, loving it despite its flaws, and this really is the best way to play the game.

You can even get a reskinned version of those cards for basic Catan, so you don't need to buy the game all over again to play with them! I do like them; anything that helps to mitigate dead turns is a good thing for Catan.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
On a whim I decided to try out the Summoner Wars app on Android and holy poo poo it reminded me how much I hate 1d6 systems ughhh. At least 2d6 bell curves are more predictable. (The Tundra Orc unit that moves after attacking on a 5+ roll also had four successive activations and it was the shittiest thing imaginable)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, Star Trek Catan is the only one I've ever played and it's pretty good. Because of that I don't know when/where these dead turns would be :shobon:

Does anyone know the brand of Ultra Pro sleeves that comes with Pathfinder ACG? I bought some at a game shop but those are all floppy and slightly bigger and the plastic feels cheap in comparison.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 14, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Best Catan is still probably Explorers and Pirates. It's basically the game Klaus Teuber has slowly been designing over the years, between Catan and Entdecker/Oceania.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
played Viticulture with expansion and Specter Ops today

both are decent

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does anyone know the brand of Ultra Pro sleeves that comes with Pathfinder ACG? I bought some at a game shop but those are all floppy and slightly bigger and the plastic feels cheap in comparison.

Ultra Pro is a brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

LOL on that video one of the "game types" was "fun" is he just trolling the SA board game threads now?