Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

24% OF THE ELECTORATE HAS SPOKEN, SAY 'YES' TO CUTS

Labour is not afraid to say 'yes' to Tory voters!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

baka kaba posted:

I think I could be a professional cartoonist

You're too funny, you failed the job interview.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Because the Labour party is dead. They tried nothing last election and they're all out of ideas.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

You're too funny, you failed the job interview.

Hey cmon, I can't draw! Give me a chance!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Welp.
Full Communism/LabourCorbyn Optimism thread.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Iain Green on Labour backing for Tory welfare changes – Interim Labour party leader Harriet Harman calls on parliamentary colleagues to accept some government reforms"

Telegraph:

Greece debt crisis: Tsipras seeks backing for eurozone deal

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on...the Greek financial crisis

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mac should post in Europol, he's that much of a shithead

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Dimitri the Russian oligarch sits on his boat and worries that the left-wing Greek government are going to crack down on his tax avoidance, while the Greek peoples are represented by a qualified accountant who lost her job due to the financial crash, and is now working as a maid just to put food on the table. A good cartoon.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 14, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dimitri seems to be reading the sports section

With Adams it's hard to tell if he's actually making a critical political point about what's happening to Greece, or if he's just rummaging through the collection of Greek tropes and using the players that fit

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 14, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
America just needs to elect our Tony Benn. That will reinvigorate the Labour party.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on...the Greek financial crisis

Just a reminder that Mac's employer, the daily mail, is owned by Jonathon Harmsworth, the 4th viscount rothermere. Johnny boy, as an aspirational wealth creator, inherited not only his father's title and vast wealth, but also his non dom tax code. This despite the fact that he is effectively living in the UK. As wiki, via private eye puts it:

quote:

He has non-domicile tax status and owns his media businesses through a complex structure of offshore holdings and trusts which entail him paying almost no UK tax on his income, investments or wealth.

But those loving greeks.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Mac is such a fucker. He should release an illustrated guide to the peoples of the world, as drawn by some dickhead who's never left the home counties - he's clearly based the greeks off some tax exile he knows that lives out there, which is sort of charming in its own fuckwitted way.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Tories' bid to overturn the foxhunting ban – The government has withdrawn its attempt to relax the UK’s foxhunting ban after the Scottish National party said it would vote against the change"

Telegraph:

After Thelwell.

Independent:

Times:

Iran nuclear talks: 'Historic' agreement struck

Mail:
MAC on... postponed hunting vote

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Guns are the most humane way to hunt, a good cartoon

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

What the poo poo is this? I know the Times frequently has bad cartoons, but that "Iranians are bond villians" bollocks looks like something pulled from the American politoons thread.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Did you know: suspicion of Iran is not exclusively an American deal?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's pretty popular in Iraq.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think shotguns are the correct tool to hunt deer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can hunt deer with a shotgun using a slug. Can as in it would work and would give you a clean kill.

In the UK you're supposed to use an expanding rifle round of at least .240 calibre though.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson and London's water cannon – Boris baiting seems to be the top attraction at Westminster these days as Theresa May rejects the London mayor’s request to use his water cannon"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Trade Union Bill: Ministers deny 'attack on workers' rights'

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... NASA probe flying past Pluto

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not even "Quick, get on, I think it's going to Dover"?

A lazy Mac.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

A lazy Mac.

Heading directly out of the Solar System is exactly where Mac likes his illegal aliens, there's not enough of a joke there.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Guavanaut posted:

A lazy Mac.
Paul Thomas would never have missed an opportunity like that. :v:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Man in flatcap walking in park past inexplicable newsboard bearing the legend "Spacecraft passes close by Pluto". Better check it for migrants! he says to his wife.
I don't think it's coming back to earth, just deeper into space, so the joke doesn't make sense.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mr. Squishy posted:

Man in flatcap walking in park past inexplicable newsboard bearing the legend "Spacecraft passes close by Pluto". Better check it for migrants! he says to his wife.
I don't think it's coming back to earth, just deeper into space, so the joke doesn't make sense.
I miss the Daily Express cartoons too :/

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
They were like Where's Wally except with a trio of hidden animals and bland racism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The latter always being the easiest to find.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

He's still keeping up the comedy

Haha UKIP am I rite :ironicat:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Tory proposals for the BBC – Culture secretary John Whittingdale has announced a fundamental review of the size of the BBC, what it does and the way it is funded and questioned whether the corporation should continue to strive to be “all things to all people”" (Coat of arms of the BBC)

Telegraph:

Jeremy Hunt: Doctors 'must work weekends'

Independent:

Jeremy Corbyn "on course to come top" in the Labour leadership election

Times:

Test Card F

Mail:
Mac on...BBC wage bill

'It's their own fault for paying the stars too much'

EDIT: Moving again. New place should have internet, so hiatus shouldn't be too long.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In which the cartoonist started their reference search with "Liz Kendall bunny ears fan art" and worked backwards from there.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on...BBC wage bill

'It's their own fault for paying the stars too much'

The only source for this I could find is that the BBC outsource their cleaners and pay little more than minimum wage.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

You're letting facts get in the way of your seething hatred of the undeserving poor, a mistake a Mail reader would never make.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Betjeman posted:

The only source for this I could find is that the BBC outsource their cleaners and pay little more than minimum wage.

The source is Mac's personal uninformed prejudices

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Crosspost from the other thread - you're getting the full post this time instead of just the comics because a) 1066 and All That and b) Tony Hancock.

If... 8-11 June

If... 15-18 June

June of course saw the 800th anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta. For those who are unfamiliar with the Magna Carta (either due to sleeping through GCSE history or being otherwise impaired by being Not British) we'll turn to the standard text, 1066 And All That.

quote:

Magna Charter

THERE also happened in this reign the memorable Charta, known as Magna Charter on account of the Latin Magna (great) and Charter (a Charter); this was the first of the famous Chartas and Gartas of the Reahn and was invented by the Barons on a desert island in the Thames called Ganymede. By congregating there, armed to the teeth, the Barons compelled John to sign the Magna Charter, which said:

1. That no one was to be put to death, save for some reason - (except the Common People).

2. That everyone should be free - (except the Common People).

3. That everything should be of the same weight and measure throughout the Realm - (except the Common People).

4. That the Courts should be stationary, instead of following a very tiresome medieval official known as the King's Person all over the country.

5. That 'no person should be fined to his utter ruin' - (except the King's Person).

6. That the Barons should not be tried except by a special jury of other Barons who would understand.

Magna Charter was therefore the chief cause of Democracy in England, and thus a Good Thing for everyone (except the Common People).

After this King John hadn't a leg to stand on and was therefore known as 'John Lackshanks'.

Wor Dave used this momentous occasion to further push the notion that Human Rights are bad, but British rights are good.

The last couple of strips contain a few If... regulars: The Penguins immigrated from Argentina during the Falklands war and usually stand in for the British underclass. John the Monkey is a bit of a chancer and wheeler-dealer who usually represents some official function or other as needed by the strip - his existence completely outside the law here is a little against character. Chief Constable Gerald "Badger" Courage (with the face that looks like a sideways bum) of course represents the humble British copper in all his nobility and human fallibility - here's an early appearance from John and Courage back in the 80s:

And lest we forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNZosqiJISs

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

b]If... 22-25 June[/b]

If you haven't already, read up on the Peterloo Massacre, visually referenced in the first strip.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
It's time for The Week In Cartoons hooray hooray, come back Cloud Potato we love you

uhhh let me know if you want me to timg these things, I have a fairly wide resolution so my screen privilege desperately needs checking

The Guardian: (with thanks to the comment sections for some of the source links)
Saturday 18:

Ministers have launched a cross-party review of the Freedom of Information Act that is likely to be viewed as an attempt to curb public access to government documents. After Roy Lichtenstein

Monday 20:

Buckingham Palace has refused to be drawn into the debate over the royal family’s private archives amid mounting pressure to release historical documents following the publication of a video showing the Queen performing a Nazi salute in the 1930s.

Tuesday 21:

48 Labour MPs defy the party whip and vote against the welfare bill at its second reading.

Wed 22:

The leadership’s failure to oppose benefit cuts is a misreading of the electoral runes and a damaging revelation that the party has nothing positive to say. After this thing (Kraft durch Freude)

Thu 23:

Former PM warns against current frontrunner Jeremy Corbyn’s campaign, saying there is no logic in party moving back to tax-and-spend policies of 1980s

Fri 24:

John Prescott, the former deputy prime minister, used an interview on Thursday to describe Jeremy Corbyn as a “great guy”. His Master's Voice

Sat 25: (woah cartoons from the future that's right internet we have that power)

Labour is conducting a “startlingly retro” leadership campaign and is at risk of going back to the politics of the 1950s, Yvette Cooper has told the Guardian. After this thing by Walter Crane, which is a glorious thing to behold

The Independent

Sat 18:

Tim Farron elected leader of the liberal democrats. After Magritte

Sun 19:

Mon 20:

Tue 21:

Wed 22:

Thu 23:

Fri 24: (warning: huge)
(cut off at the bottom but there's nothing missed)

The Telegraph
Sat 18:

Mon 20:

A Golf Thing Happened, one of the few times it raining in scotland was considered newsworthy I guess

The Daily loving Mail
Tue 21:

Wed 22:

"'Stay vigilant, men. If Osborne brings any building speculators snooping around, you know what to do.'" (Apparently Osborne is planning to sell of MoD golf courses? The MoD has golf courses?)

Thu 23:

Fri 24:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

Thu 23:

Former PM warns against current frontrunner Jeremy Corbyn’s campaign, saying there is no logic in party moving back to tax-and-spend policies of 1980s
If John Smith had a heart transplant we might not even be in this mess to start with.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Two things. I'd be loathe to actually give any credit to Lichtenstein for "his" work, its all stolen and what on earth is the seagull comic about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

Cliff Racer posted:

what on earth is the seagull comic about?

Seagulls have been dive-bombing some people in defence of their chicks, an elderly lady got a nasty head wound from one. That's the story,

• Locked thread