Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Drifter posted:

Is bonemeal healthy? Do humans with a normal diet get any benefit from adding bone meal into their diets? Like, with bones after making stock or something.

No benefit at that point. Why would you do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No benefit at that point. Why would you do it?

Well, you can give the bones to chickens, and you know, other things. Just curious.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Drifter posted:

Well, you can give the bones to chickens, and you know, other things. Just curious.

No I meant why would you eat them yourself? All the flavor is gone once you've made stock or something with them. I just give those bones to the dogs to gnaw on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Haha flavor. If it's ground up it just becomes an invisible/unnoticeable add. So if there's some little health benefit like extra fiber/roughage or whatever than why not, eh?

I add flax seed to my smoothies because it's good for you, even though I can't taste it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What vegetables and fruits should I buy at farmers markets? What's the best way to GET BIG AND MAXIMIZE GAINS I mean what else should I eat besides startinh to eat quinoa. I want that good good protein!

Edit: I guess what I'm looking for is anything you'd say is a killer extremely healthy recipe or anything that is extremely beneficial for you

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 14, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hi my name is Dickeye. Due to being from Circumstances I don't know gently caress all about cooking things that aren't burgers. I am also poor and don't want to die of hunger. What are some easy cheap recipes that a starving 20something can utilize to not die, alternately what's a good resource for said things

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There's a thread for that but I've never read it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
poo poo I didn't see that, my bad

edit ALso I literally do not know how to cook. That's a problem.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 14, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's like sex, you just gotta do it. If "how do I cook" could be answered in a single post it'd be a very good post. I'd just be wary of over salting as that'll make things inedible but also don't be afraid of salt or it'll be bland poo poo. Season in increments for most things. A thermometer will help you from making meat pucks until you get a feel.

See http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649287 for super general info and how to take photos! (ignore the photo part)

If you have netflix there're a few episodes of Good Eats which is great for beginners and I'm sure there are some good youtube channels but I'm not sure what those might be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What vegetables and fruits should I buy at farmers markets? What's the best way to GET BIG AND MAXIMIZE GAINS I mean what else should I eat besides startinh to eat quinoa. I want that good good protein!

You should eat lentils. Much cheaper than quinoa, super high in protein, goes with just about anything. You can boil half a cup dried in vegetable stock or salted water for 30 minutes and serve with sauteed veggies and garlic. Or top with eggs, avocado and salsa for breakfast in the morning. Or drop them into coconut milk and make dal curry. Lentils own.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Drifter posted:

Haha flavor. If it's ground up it just becomes an invisible/unnoticeable add. So if there's some little health benefit like extra fiber/roughage or whatever than why not, eh?

I add flax seed to my smoothies because it's good for you, even though I can't taste it.

Then no. It is not digestible.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

I brought the ATK German potato salad recipe to work, and it persisted as a side to the sausage plate for like 6 years:

2 pounds medium red potatoes (1 to 2 inches in diameter), unpeeled, scrubbed, and halved if smaller or quartered if larger
Table salt
8 ounces bacon (about 8 strips), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon whole-grain German-style mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

1. Place potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, and water to cover in large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender (thin-bladed paring knife can be slipped into and out of potatoes with little resistance), about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup potato cooking water, then drain potatoes; return potatoes to pot and cover to keep warm.
2.While potatoes are cooking, fry bacon in large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate; pour off all but 1/4 cup bacon grease. Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat until softened and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in sugar until dissolved, about 30 seconds. Add vinegar and reserved potato cooking water; bring to simmer and cook until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup, about 3 minutes. Off heat, whisk in mustard and pepper. Add potatoes, parsley, and bacon to skillet and toss to combine; adjust seasoning with salt. Transfer to serving bowl and serve.
Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish. Published September 1, 2003.

I make a similar thing except no sugar, with seasoned rice vinegar, 3 or 4 hard boiled eggs, and lots of paprika and cayenne. Mmmmm.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

You should eat lentils. Much cheaper than quinoa, super high in protein, goes with just about anything. You can boil half a cup dried in vegetable stock or salted water for 30 minutes and serve with sauteed veggies and garlic. Or top with eggs, avocado and salsa for breakfast in the morning. Or drop them into coconut milk and make dal curry. Lentils own.

One of my favorite protein-heavy veggie dishes is lentil tacos. Sautee lentils in onion, peppers, garlic, cumin, chile powder, mexican oregano, salt, and pepper, serve in toasted corn tortillas with more onion, cilantro, avocado, and tomato if in season. Cheap, filling, and nutritious.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, lentils are a good filler material to go with veg and spices. Very uninteresting on their own though.
I'm using lentils more and more just to reduce rice and pasta from my diet.
I just made a cauliflower and pumpkin curry and put a cup and half of cooked brown lentils and a cup of green peas in there to replace rice.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 14, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Would you put green olives on a pizza?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I would, and I have.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Then I shall.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Drifter posted:

Otherwise, make these Creamy Dill Potatos and add some eggs or whatever and it's fuckin' delicious cold.

Def trying this with some celery and like 6-8 hard-boiled eggs. And probably some extra garlic/heavy whipping cream and green onion too. poo poo looks good as gently caress.

gently caress it, throw in some cayenne pepper and paprika too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BattleCattle posted:

Then I shall.

Kalamata are the best for this.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Def trying this with some celery and like 6-8 hard-boiled eggs. And probably some extra garlic/heavy whipping cream and green onion too. poo poo looks good as gently caress.

gently caress it, throw in some cayenne pepper and paprika too.

I use 1/3 heavy cream an 2/3 greek yogurt. I think it tastes better. And might be healthier.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Drifter posted:

I use 1/3 heavy cream an 2/3 greek yogurt. I think it tastes better. And might be healthier.

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm looking for a cold potato salad, so thicker is probably better. Should I go with a ratio of 1/2 Greek yogurt to 1/2 heavy cream, or what?

What about mayo? Should I add some mayo?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm looking for a cold potato salad, so thicker is probably better. Should I go with a ratio of 1/2 Greek yogurt to 1/2 heavy cream, or what?
If you evaporate off some of the liquid from the heavy cream it'll end up VERY thick. Go with the ratio of what you like to taste, I don't think 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 is going to matter as far as thickness is concerned. Like I said before, I do .33/.66 cream/yogurt. I think heavy cream doesn't have much taste to it, so I tend to use substitutes unless I'm looking for the buttery mouthfeel that only heavy cream provides. And it's subtle, so it's mostly used for simpler dishes. In my opinion.

What about mayo? Should I add some mayo?
Only if you make it yourself. But nah, I wouldn't bother since you already have the other creams. At that point you're just adding poo poo to add poo poo.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Barrel aged cocktails (Im thinking negroni specifically, but Ive seen more lately), worth the extra price or pass?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've got a ton of zucchini and yellow squash out of the garden and have a big party this weekend. Any recipe ideas besides the standard roasted or ratatouille?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Any kind of take on stuffed zucchini. I did one recently with mint, toasted pine nuts, basically some middle eastern/meditteranean thing. It came out pretty good. I don't have a recipe since I cobbled together a bunch from the internet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Any kind of take on stuffed zucchini. I did one recently with mint, toasted pine nuts, basically some middle eastern/meditteranean thing. It came out pretty good. I don't have a recipe since I cobbled together a bunch from the internet.

Thanks, I didnt think about stuffing them.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

That Works posted:

it's pretty rad

I did boats though which was kind of silly since I didn't put enough liquid to cook it as well as coring it like in the photo. Though I don't know that regular zucchini is wide enough for that. https://housewifeindubai.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/stuffed-zucchini-the-lebanese-way/ this gives you an idea of what it is. https://housewifeindubai.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/stuffed-zucchini-the-lebanese-way/ is the photo above which was one of the recipes I was looking at. Cousa Mashi is what the dish is called I think.

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 15, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Drifter posted:

If you evaporate off some of the liquid from the heavy cream it'll end up VERY thick. Go with the ratio of what you like to taste, I don't think 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 is going to matter as far as thickness is concerned. Like I said before, I do .33/.66 cream/yogurt. I think heavy cream doesn't have much taste to it, so I tend to use substitutes unless I'm looking for the buttery mouthfeel that only heavy cream provides. And it's subtle, so it's mostly used for simpler dishes. In my opinion.

Only if you make it yourself. But nah, I wouldn't bother since you already have the other creams. At that point you're just adding poo poo to add poo poo.

Should I sub mayo for heavy cream? I'm about to go to the store, and I need to know whether to pick up some mayo or not.

(I don't know how to make homemade mayo.)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Should I sub mayo for heavy cream? I'm about to go to the store, and I need to know whether to pick up some mayo or not.

(I don't know how to make homemade mayo.)

I wouldn't. But if you want to use mayo for other things, that's great, too. :shrug:

It's just that Mayonnaise is oil. Lots of it, and you don't need that much in normal potato salads. It's not going to add any new flavour or substance if you mix it in there as a supplement.

But the thing is, if you want to do it, go for it. it's not baking, so you're free to liberally gently caress around with poo poo to your taste. You're probably not going to ruin anything by adding mayo if you decide to go down that path.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Turkeybone posted:

Barrel aged cocktails (Im thinking negroni specifically, but Ive seen more lately), worth the extra price or pass?

Depends on the bar and what they're doing with it. The restaurant I work at aged a batch of Manhattan with black walnut bitters and vanilla beans in a Reservoir Distillery bourbon barrel and it's unbelievably good. $15 per, but it's about as strong as two standard drinks.

I haven't really seen anyone else in this city doing that, but I'd probably spring for a barrel-aged cocktail wherever I'm at just to see whether it's any good or not.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:chloe:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

have you been sitting on that one for eight years

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Six years. I've only had this screename for six years.

I don't take a lot of pictures, so I've saved every one of them on my HD.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Well, I have seen these pumpkin tits (exactly) once before,
and that must've been years ago,
which proves that once these have been seen, they cannot be unseen.

Never linked them to you username though,
bon appetit. :-)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Oh hahah the username joke sailed right over my head. Nicely done.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

They somehow remind me of Marge Simpson

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone have advice for cooking black beans and also Great Northern beans? I've tried cooking both and they turned out loving awful each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

What was wrong with them? If mushy, cook for less time. If hard, more. If bland, add spices and/or incorporate into another dish.