Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

-Zydeco- posted:

Cross-post from the shaden thread. not quite work related, but drat.

Jesus Christ, that's like some backwards 3rd world poo poo right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Three-Phase posted:

However I could see situations where shrapnel could be thrown well outside of those boundaries during a short circuit event.

Shrapnel, burning globs of molten copper and steel, and in some cases large whiplike chunks of wire. The lorentz forces on a big beefy cable during a bolted fault short circuit can be enough to cause massive personal injury as a 250 MCM cable whips around like a one of those inflatable tube dudes.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

FIRST TIME posted:

Jesus Christ, that's like some backwards 3rd world poo poo right there.

Nah in the rest of the world the bull would have a bunch of swords stuck in it to gently caress up its neck.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

JB50 posted:

Nah in the rest of the world the bull would have a bunch of swords stuck in it to gently caress up its neck.

Yeah, I exaggerated a bit but it's still dumb as hell.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i was on the jobsite, but my dingus coworker dropped the glass we were hanging and it fell on my crotch and chopped off my dick and balls

You really suck at posting you Eunich

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

is being vaporized and turned to ash by an arc flash a myth?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Darth123123 posted:

You really suck at posting you Eunich

eunuch

ThePriceIsRight posted:

the outside and/or innermost carbonizes first afaik. so you wind up with toasty gibs + whatever wasn't between hot and ground

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

eunuch

the outside and/or innermost carbonizes first afaik. so you wind up with toasty gibs + whatever wasn't between hot and ground

hmmm so what if someone smacked an 800kv HVDC line with a wrench, would they be turned to ash like in popeyes?

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 14, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ThePriceIsRight posted:

hmmm so what if someone smacked an 800kv HVDC line with a wrench, would they be turned to ash like in the popeyes?

i honestly do not know really, but i've wondered a lot. I'm sure some salty goon with a thousand-yard stare would correct anything i could posit

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Someone can post it, but there was that guy who went down the manhole cover to get copper or something and got electrocuted and they didnt find him til like a year later.

He was about as close to ash as youre probably gonna get.

I guess he was more mummified. Cant find pics but heres the news story:

http://www.komonews.com/news/offbeat/Mummified-body-found-in-Tucson-manhole-264475401.html

JB50 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 14, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Christ

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

What the hell? Is that from the wind?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Magneto

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Even nature rightfully hates russians.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
If it had been a final destination movie that woman would have been decapitated.

Tho I did hear from a motorcycle accident years ago where the cyclist didn't see the sheet metal that was hanging over the end of the truck before him and didn't apply the breaks early enough. I can't verify this so it may as well be stdh.txt, but I guess it could happen.

Edit: Well snopes says at least that it happened in some similar fashion http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/decapmot.asp

Helios Grime fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 14, 2015

Big Steveo
Apr 5, 2007

by astral

Three-Phase posted:

I'm thinking there's a lever they hold to run the buffer and somebody tied it down.

E:F;B

Guys had PPE so their clothes didn't catch on fire - not sure if they had arc-rated face shields or not.

Ultra-slow motion arc flash tests: these are so slow that you can see the AC power pulsing at twice the line frequency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-w0QAaxRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwI48O0MUXY

The face shield doesn't help much when you have a steel disconnect cover flying towards your face at a couple hundred miles an hour. That's one of the concerns I need to discuss with people where I work - there are boundary areas for shock and arc flash hazards, if you can imagine a series of expanding spheres around exposed and energized equipment. However I could see situations where shrapnel could be thrown well outside of those boundaries during a short circuit event.

There is a utility company in Australia (Ausgrid) whom has done various testing of arc rated PPE. Some cool looking arcs in this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX-7io_ZAV8

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Big Steveo posted:

There is a utility company in Australia (Ausgrid) whom has done various testing of arc rated PPE. Some cool looking arcs in this one.

The tests of visors at about the 19-minute mark were interesting. The one without the chin cup appears to actually make things worse by funneling flame up in front of the face.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

thanks gate :nws: :nms:

i don't even know if this is osha related tbh

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

rear end-to-gut in the wild is a rare and unexpected beauty

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
:stonklol:

Well at least it's already the green bin for the biodegradable waste.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

ThePriceIsRight posted:

thanks gate :nws: :nms:

i don't even know if this is osha related tbh

Whoa. The rare Reverse Klamrisk.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Helios Grime posted:

If it had been a final destination movie that woman would have been decapitated.

Tho I did hear from a motorcycle accident years ago where the cyclist didn't see the sheet metal that was hanging over the end of the truck before him and didn't apply the breaks early enough. I can't verify this so it may as well be stdh.txt, but I guess it could happen.

Edit: Well snopes says at least that it happened in some similar fashion http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/decapmot.asp

There was a pretty hosed up picture I saw once where some dude in a Corvette rear ended a tractor trailer. All the pic showed was his new convertible and a red splotch about head height on the back of the trailer. :stonk:

E: Found it, understated :nms: as hell: http://i.imgur.com/yZU1aox.jpg

E2: The original filename was 'VetteTailLights1.jpg', eBay listing? :v:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 14, 2015

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I heard stories from somebody cleaning up wrecks on the Autobahn.
It's basically fast slow cars and trucks don't mix and guard rails are biker slicers.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Think I was linked from this thread or the old version of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pikn-lYG4s0
IIHS - Most underride guards fail to stop deadly crashes / long video /

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

It's pretty hosed up how the law mandates trucks have underride guards but they don't even have to work properly to pass.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

ThePriceIsRight posted:

I think you'd need to have a hell of a lot of energy to destroy bone. At the risk of sounding like the guy from XKCD you could probably calculate approximately how much energy is required to vaporize a person.

Big Steveo posted:

I didn't realize for the smaller arcs there was more energy in the resulting clothing fire than the arc itself, but that makes a lot of sense. I'll need to send this to the guys at work. :stare::hf::science:

My PPE is Level 2, 8 calories. Got the balaclava, rated hardhat and the greenish-blue arc rated face shield. There are other electricians who have Level 3 and Level 4 equipment, plus things like hot sticks.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 14, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Mother of God :stonk:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

This is a "brown" incident.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

bitcoin bastard posted:

E: Found it, understated :nms: as hell: http://i.imgur.com/yZU1aox.jpg

I think the weirdest part of this image is looking at the underride guard behind the apparently-untouched back wheel. Either there's some damage there I'm not seeing, the underride guard doesn't go all the way across the back of the truck, or the physics of crashes are :catdrugs:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

VendaGoat posted:

This is a "brown" incident.

The force of a speeding dump truck hitting the ground was nothing compared to how hard I clinched my rear end watching that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I was about halfway into my instinctive "Toonces, look out!" on seeing a car fly off a cliff, then I saw the dude running along and switched to a :stare:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think the weirdest part of this image is looking at the underride guard behind the apparently-untouched back wheel. Either there's some damage there I'm not seeing, the underride guard doesn't go all the way across the back of the truck, or the physics of crashes are :catdrugs:

The underride guard tends to just be cantilevered outboard of the vertical attachment bars - the only thing standing between you and decapitation is the wall thickness of a box section.

The one that made me mad was the Hyundai unmodified trailer where, presumably to save $2, they had no gusseting on any of the underride bar and it was effectively cosmetic.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dukes of Hazzard sequel looking good.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Powered Descent posted:

I was about halfway into my instinctive "Toonces, look out!" on seeing a car fly off a cliff, then I saw the dude running along and switched to a :stare:

Ash1138 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 15, 2015

naem
May 29, 2011

Does jumping man make it :ohdear:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

naem posted:

Does jumping man make it :ohdear:

If he did, he's not walking anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Rudager posted:

If he did, he's not walking anymore.

I'm pretty sure it misses him, the angle is deceptive. Not by much though!

• Locked thread