Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

VoidBurger posted:

Dumb Moves in Hashtag Gamer Hashtag Business

Heh, you gotta be pretty :smuggo: to promote a tweet if you aren't actually trying to sell something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
#business has got to be the dullest loving tag on Twitter

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/walmart-offers-rival-sale-to-amazons-prime-day/
Amazon is running a special anniversary sale called Prime Day on 7/15, which will offer exclusive deals to Prime members. Prime users pay $99/year for free 2 day shipping, some extra deals on mom stuff, and access to an anemic but growing streaming video library.

Walmart is mad and jealous and will be running their own sale! With blackjack! And hookers!

quote:

"The idea of asking customers to pay extra in order to save money just doesn't add up for us," Fernando Madeira, CEO of Walmart.com, said Monday in a blog post.

Oh how noble of them!

quote:

Hoping to build its online presence to help shore up slow-growing in-store sales, Walmart is now testing a free three-day shipping program called ShippingPass for $50 a year to rival Amazon Prime.

:raise:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

canyoneer posted:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/walmart-offers-rival-sale-to-amazons-prime-day/
Amazon is running a special anniversary sale called Prime Day on 7/15, which will offer exclusive deals to Prime members. Prime users pay $99/year for free 2 day shipping, some extra deals on mom stuff, and access to an anemic but growing streaming video library.

Walmart is mad and jealous and will be running their own sale! With blackjack! And hookers!

Oh how noble of them!

:raise:

I don't know, if I shopped at Walmart I might be more inclined to go with their program, especially with Amazon pushing Prime shipment times out to 3-7 days.

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Jul 13, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Why? Walmart online selection is surprisingly big but it comes nowhere near amazon.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hasters posted:

I don't know, if I shopped at Walmart I might be more inclined to go with their program, especially with Amazon pushing Prime shipment times out to 3-7 days.

Walmart's curbside grocery pickup is legit awesome. I work for a giant company with a zillion people on campus, so they list it as a pickup location. They have refrigerated grocery delivery trucks out there for online orders a few times a week.

Order groceries online, pay online, and pick them up in the parking lot on the way out of the office. It's super convenient and keeps me from having to set foot in a store. A Good Move in Marketing, but I have no idea how they make any money doing it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

darkhand posted:

Why? Walmart online selection is surprisingly big but it comes nowhere near amazon.

There is almost always a Walmart near you if you don't feel like waiting for the product you ordered. Definitely not an option for everything but I figure anyone that's had a package take much longer than advertised could see the appeal.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Oh, you went and updated your logo on your company's 80th anniversary?

May I suggest another subtle change?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Hitshler didn't go far enough

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

"No way, why should I change? He's the one who sucks."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hasters posted:

Oh man, there goes my only incentive to even think about Prime. Amazon has reliable shipping and can be quicker than one would expect, but a guaranteed 2 day shipping time can be very useful.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Hitschler did nothing wrong

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hasters posted:

You have a source for that?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Wanamingo posted:

Was gonna ask the same. Maybe the walmart near most people is good but the one near me, a 24hr super walmart no less, sucks rear end and is a nightmare experience in itself even if you can find what you want. I love amazon and I love the 2 day shipping. (1 day sometimes depending on the warehouse.) I honestly wouldn't mind waiting a few more days if I had to just to avoid the stores here, but I wouldn't pay for prime anymore.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Oh man, there goes my only incentive to even think about Prime. Amazon has reliable shipping and can be quicker than one would expect, but a guaranteed 2 day shipping time can be very useful.

It's not that they're not guaranteeing two day shipping, it's that they're no longer guaranteeing it from when you order it, but from when it's actually processed and shipped, which for me is usually same day anyway. Maybe it has to do with proximity to their warehouses.

That said, I've not had any issues with it and I love having Amazon Prime to watch shows/movies. Also, we have 3 people that share the prime account to our individual amazon accounts so it's well worth it. There's also a few times I've bought things and been able to utilize the same-day shipping. I broke my iron the other day and bought one when I got to work and it was at my door before I got home.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MindlessHavok posted:

It's not that they're not guaranteeing two day shipping, it's that they're no longer guaranteeing it from when you order it, but from when it's actually processed and shipped, which for me is usually same day anyway. Maybe it has to do with proximity to their warehouses.

That said, I've not had any issues with it and I love having Amazon Prime to watch shows/movies. Also, we have 3 people that share the prime account to our individual amazon accounts so it's well worth it. There's also a few times I've bought things and been able to utilize the same-day shipping. I broke my iron the other day and bought one when I got to work and it was at my door before I got home.

Yeah I'm not really bitching and what you said makes a lot of sense, especially knowing how brutal their warehouses can be on their employees,

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Karma Monkey posted:

Was gonna ask the same. Maybe the walmart near most people is good but the one near me, a 24hr super walmart no less, sucks rear end and is a nightmare experience in itself even if you can find what you want. I love amazon and I love the 2 day shipping. (1 day sometimes depending on the warehouse.) I honestly wouldn't mind waiting a few more days if I had to just to avoid the stores here, but I wouldn't pay for prime anymore.

The whole point of buying poo poo online at Walmart though is that they've got it waiting for you in one location. I certainly understand not wanting to actually walk around the store, though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The whole point of buying poo poo online at Walmart though is that they've got it waiting for you in one location. I certainly understand not wanting to actually walk around the store, though.

Yeah it's weird, your average Wal-Mart manages to be more depressing than your average K-Mart and your average K-Mart seems to see depressing decor as a selling point.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I'm not really bitching and what you said makes a lot of sense, especially knowing how brutal their warehouses can be on their employees,

If you can find a couple other people to split it with, you can share it much like you can a Netflix account. I think the limit is 3, maybe 4 people though. So from a cost perspective that makes it a lot cheaper.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Wanamingo posted:

Personal experience of me and a bunch of other people. I first noticed it back in January when I ordered something and it took ten days to arrive, the second time it happened I turned off my Prime auto renew. Ever since I've been buying a lot more locally, and when I do need to order from Amazon I wait until I have at $35 worth of stuff to get the free shipping, which is just as fast.

MindlessHavok posted:

Of fine, but that's not the way they sell it. If the commercial said "Free two day delivery from the time we finish processing your order at our warehouse." I would be fine with it.

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Jul 13, 2015

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

I might try it once to see how it goes. Although if I did it and showed up at the Walmart to pick up my stuff, I would be completely unsurprised if I was greeted by a blank stare and a shrug and "I don't know anything about that." from everyone including the manager. I can't overstate how ingrained in the local culture apathy and ineptitude is. I'm not saying I blame them per se. Everyone I see in the stores here looks completely beat down and miserable.

Except Target, strangely enough. They seem manically cheerful there. There's a guy there that I'll actually avoid if I'm not in the mood for it because he's too friendly, but if I want to hear 15 minutes of super hero movie puns and nerd-topic sperging, I'll get in his lane. I suspect he's a goon, but I haven't worked up the nerve to ask him about stairs because I'm afraid he'll lunge across the conveyor belt and hug me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

One of the dumbest things Walmart ever really did was cut staffing in the stores to the bone. Part of the reason they're so depressing is that the employees all loving hate being there. I worked there a while back and saw that stuff happen over time. The area I started in was a department manager, two full time people, and two part time people. Eventually it was down to just me and the department manager and my hours were down to 35 a week. When I left that area I just wasn't replaced. Eventually the department manager position got mushed into some other one but God help you when stuff wasn't up to the same standards as when there were, you know, five people doing it.

They pushed the site-to-store stuff but didn't really bother hiring anybody to actually do it. It can be difficult or impossible to find an employee to help you with something and stuff that needed to be put on the floor would sometimes just sit on a cart in limbo for days because nobody had time to get to it. The response to "everybody hates working here and customers hate shopping here because we understaff everything" was to tell the employees they all sucked, cut their hours, and make everything worse. Around the time I left they were actively driving out experienced employees that they actually had to pay good wages to and enacting hiring freezes. It was insane how much upper management decided to cut payroll in an effort to increase profits.

So now they're trying to compete with Amazon? Well, good luck with that. If Walmart is like the Walmart I worked for they're try to do it with nothing but underpaid part time people that hate their jobs.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
My best friend from high school has reached his pay limit in the warehouse and I feel bad for him.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So now they're trying to compete with Amazon? Well, good luck with that. If Walmart is like the Walmart I worked for they're try to do it with nothing but underpaid part time people that hate their jobs.
That is also Amazon's modus operandi. You just don't have to ever look at Amazon's miserable workers.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thewireguy posted:

My best friend from high school has reached his pay limit in the warehouse and I feel bad for him.

"Pay limit?" What the gently caress is that, doesn't sound very American - a man should be free to work for as little as he wants, as long as he wants, like I do.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I enjoyed watching Lowe's race to the bottom with Home Depot along the same lines. Eliminate spiffs (extremely meager commissions), cut hours for experienced/knowledgeable workers until they're driven out then hire someone willing to work for just over minimum wage. Cut the number of workers altogether! Tweak the store performance rewards until stores get ever so close but welp maybe you'll get a bonus next quarter! Instill a primal fear of overtime in your management staff to the point where entire departments are left empty just to ensure nobody goes over the mark.

Make checkout as painful for all involved as possible, push datamining- ahh 'MyLowes,' store credit cards, add-ons and warranties while only keeping the barest minimum number of lanes open. Advertise internet/special catalog ordering, but make sure nothing that's on the site is actually in stock, and if it is, make sure nobody's picked the order so the customer has to wait longer than if they'd just shopped themselves. Advertise week long sales on items that will sell out in 3 hours and not be restocked. I guess their dumb marketing move would be trying to move downmarket to compete with HD and Walmart...that's a fight they're not going to win.

It's almost like retail is a lumbering dinosaur that's actively trying to kill itself.

redgubbinz has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Jul 14, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Ace, on the other hand, is an absolute pleasure to shop at. The one by me has possibly the best customer service I've had at any store, let alone a hardware/garden place, and their store card is actually useful. Plus, they have a store cat :3:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

It's almost like retail is a lumbering dinosaur that's actively trying to kill itself.

Retail has mostly condensed down to a small number of companies that don't have a lot of competition. In some places Home Depot and Walmart are literally the only places you can buy stuff. The shareholders of course want more dividends and the CEO needs to buy a twelfth house. Profit is everything so of course they're going to want to reduce labor costs to as little as possible. Which kind of goes against the way Sam Walton said to run a store and why Walmart was so successful. He specifically said that the customer is the final boss so you need to keep the customer happy. Happy employees that you take good care of take better care of the customer. Turns out overworked people working for starvation wages hate their lives and aren't motivated to take care of their customers. Who knew?

Of course right now they can get away with it. Where I'm originally from there was a variety of stores when I was a kid. D&K, K-Mart, Jamesway, Hills, Sears, and some others I forget. Now most of them are replaced by a Walmart, a Home Depot, and a Sears that I don't think anybody shops at anymore.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
People don't really care that much about the experience. Most people want to pay the cheapest price and don't care if the employee was friendly or looked like he wanted to kill himself. An especially good/bad experience might be noticeable but as long as no one is loving up too badly, life goes on.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr_Amazing posted:

People don't really care that much about the experience. Most people want to pay the cheapest price and don't care if the employee was friendly or looked like he wanted to kill himself. An especially good/bad experience might be noticeable but as long as no one is loving up too badly, life goes on.

Yeah but an understaffed store where you have trouble finding people working there in the first place because there aren't enough of them is not going to be a pleasant experience. That's one of the issues with a skeleton crew. Plus when the expectations on the employees are downright onerous they actively avoid helping customers out of necessity because of all the other stuff that needs done. Not enough cashiers also leads to long lines which of course makes customers unhappy. If there aren't enough employees the shelves also don't get stocked properly so good luck if something you need isn't present on the shelves. Plus cranky employees that are extremely pressed for time are going to cut more corners and mostly just want to be rid of the customers. Makes them less likely to do little extra things for you or worse off half rear end everything.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Phanatic posted:

"No way, why should I change? He's the one who sucks."

I don't get it - did they change the site already or am I being daft?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Dr_Amazing posted:

On the other hand, you've got customers who expect employees to act like indentured peasants to them as if they poo poo gold and rule the world. Some customers do care about customer service to the point of taking the time to write reviews online, which management will use as "motivation".

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Here in Tennessee, we have a new super awesome anti-DUI campaign. Here's one example of many that are being plastered all over places like downtown Nashville.

If you're drunk enough accidentally gently caress an uggo or some bitch that talks too much, then you're too drunk to drive!!!

Yeah the website for this campaign mysteriously disappeared a few hours ago.

This is also from the same geniuses whose July 4th slogan was "Fifth on the Fourth? Not if you're driving." Because, you know, drinking a fifth is a good idea when you're not driving...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

canyoneer posted:

Walmart's curbside grocery pickup is legit awesome. I work for a giant company with a zillion people on campus, so they list it as a pickup location. They have refrigerated grocery delivery trucks out there for online orders a few times a week.

Order groceries online, pay online, and pick them up in the parking lot on the way out of the office. It's super convenient and keeps me from having to set foot in a store. A Good Move in Marketing, but I have no idea how they make any money doing it.
Do American supermarkets not do home delivery?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Do American supermarkets not do home delivery?

There are usually delivery services which will do groceries and restaurant food delivered to you and can be found in the phonebook or advertised in newspapers. Mostly they are used by little old ladies who can't handle the walk to the store anymore so that's the demographic they advertise to.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

I don't know if they're still doing it, but even Home Depot's job listing concept was idiotic for a while. Advertise a specific non-floor/administrative position open in a specific store, then tell the applicant that they have to come to a "job fair" 40+ miles away, only discuss floor positions during the hour-long "seminar", run the applicants through "interviews" which are mostly sales roleplay, tell them they'll hear back soon. Six months later, call the applicant to offer them a floor position that they already said they couldn't do because of physical limitations in a store that was 20 miles away at the time and now more than 60 miles away, and inform them at that point that if they say no to that single offer the company will not contact them again and they'll have to reapply to get any position at all.

No wonder most of the Home Depot stores around me have been understaffed for over a decade.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

joshtothemaxx posted:

Here in Tennessee, we have a new super awesome anti-DUI campaign. Here's one example of many that are being plastered all over places like downtown Nashville.

If you're drunk enough accidentally gently caress an uggo or some bitch that talks too much, then you're too drunk to drive!!!

Yeah the website for this campaign mysteriously disappeared a few hours ago.

This is also from the same geniuses whose July 4th slogan was "Fifth on the Fourth? Not if you're driving." Because, you know, drinking a fifth is a good idea when you're not driving...

Where was this campaign in Georgia? I hosed a fat uggo and played with newly legal fireworks on the 4th and regret it. I should have drunk driven her home, the shame of waking up to someone without whiskey goggles...

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is true.

Or the Similar store down the road from me literally stabs customers. I mean, I basically can't smile and don't greet people when they come in the door and every time I tell someone to try that other, better stocked, staffed, and cleaned store, they just give me a look of horror and say "I'll never go there."

Let me put that into perspective, I had a doctors come into the store after a customer pissed me off and tell me I have turned a shade of red they have never seen someone live through, and because I am the cheaper price, people come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yeah, which is why Walmart took over.

But Walmart has Walmart-ed themselves too much, its gotten to the point where the last two times I went to the nearest store there I didn't see a single employee. I know you're used to having 30 lines with only 2 open, but there was nobody there. People just walking in and out taking things without paying because there was nobody there to stop them or to pay to.

I had to buy something from behind a glass wall in electronics so I was like waving my hands around going "HELLOOOOO" and nobody came, so I went and stood behind the register in electronics where customers aren't supposed to be shouting "Hello, I'm doing something I'm not supposed to, somebody please come here and stop me" and still nothing.

I've heard of understaffed before but that's just ridiculous. :psyduck: