Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I think it's odd that so many goons get dumped into the CORIVRONs even though they are so relatively small.

One of the hosed up things is that we have a NOSC right here on base in NASNI but they make our reservists do all their business out of the San Diego NOSC which is a 40+ minute drive away in Scripps Ranch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Commoners posted:

I think it's odd that so many goons get dumped into the CORIVRONs even though they are so relatively small.

One of the hosed up things is that we have a NOSC right here on base in NASNI but they make our reservists do all their business out of the San Diego NOSC which is a 40+ minute drive away in Scripps Ranch.

thats weird dude. they make the dudes at compacflt at point loma use the nosc on NASNI.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
So, reference point
Obama opposes cuts to BAH for dual-military families.
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/benefits/pay/allowances/2015/06/03/obama-opposes-cuts-bah-dual-families/28406213/

We got to sea lawyering it up at work and the question came up, what is to stop a couple from getting colocated, filing for divorce, getting married at the end of a set of orders, colocating and repeating. Also, claiming the same child as a dependant after the divorce. I mean the kid would live with both of them.

What's the illegality of that?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

vrath posted:

So, reference point
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/benefits/pay/allowances/2015/06/03/obama-opposes-cuts-bah-dual-families/28406213/

We got to sea lawyering it up at work and the question came up, what is to stop a couple from getting colocated, filing for divorce, getting married at the end of a set of orders, colocating and repeating. Also, claiming the same child as a dependant after the divorce. I mean the kid would live with both of them.

That article picked a really stupid group of people to use as their focus, since BAH is specifically crafted to pay for 99% of rent and utilities at certain anchor points. Not buy a home. There's a lot of better people and locations to choose to illustrate how BAH can be broken and not enough, two officers banking a non-taxable extra $2,400/mo. isn't the right one. Their situation is actually supporting the Pentagon's point about BAH being wasteful.

Your scheme is probably too complicated for the average servicemember to actually pull off. In addition it looks like they're trying to reduce the BAH rates for members living with other members. So more headache than it'd be worth, but probably nothing really stopping them from doing it. BAH w/ dependents goes to whomever has custody for 51% of the year in the divorce decree, as well. If someone wanted to take it to the extreme you could probably go after them for article 107 or 134, but without an admission of intent to defraud there's probably no way it'd ever stick. You'd also run into issues with residency requirements for divorce in certain states.

As far as her concern about enforcement, there should be some annual certification of dependency status/address. While probably not within the Navy's technical competence or grasp, it wouldn't be difficult to set up a database that tracks where people live. Locally or across the services. Not a good idea, given recent events, but not something that couldn't be done.

A couple years ago I used to run the annual BAH survey which collected a lot of local information and provided the raw data that Runzheimer used to help the Pentagon set BAH rates. There's a lot of factors that go into it, but if people are doing it correctly BAH should be more than enough in most places. I admit that's a really huge assumption.

tl;dr You could get in trouble for all the same stupid reasons you can get in trouble for just about anything in the military, but it probably would be too much work to prove. Additionally it'd be way more work than it'd be worth it in probably 99% of locations where people might try it.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Some entitled female noble posted:

"I kind of look at BAH as a piece of my salary. For someone to say I should get paid less because of who I'm married to doesn't really seem fair," she said.

:lol:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Yea no kidding.

I got into it with some of the people I work with about this. I get BAH, and BAH is set to pay for rent/utilities right? So if I'm married to a military member and we're living together why should I get double BAH? The only time it really makes sense to give both members BAH is when they live apart, and even then I'd argue that one of them should get bachelor housing or live on a ship.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

vrath posted:

So, reference point

Context and situations matter when dealing with the law, not just being technically within bounds. Pretty much any judge looking at that set of circumstances would be able to quickly identify what you were doing and slap you for BAH fraud.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Of loving course. My leave that starts tomorrow gets approved, hotels and plane already booked to fly back to Denver and spend 5 days drinking fantastic micro brew beer in a cabin...and my throat starts to hurt.

So now by the time I get there I will be robbed of my sense of taste. gently caress this gay earth. And rhinovirus gently caress it too.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea no kidding.

I got into it with some of the people I work with about this. I get BAH, and BAH is set to pay for rent/utilities right? So if I'm married to a military member and we're living together why should I get double BAH? The only time it really makes sense to give both members BAH is when they live apart, and even then I'd argue that one of them should get bachelor housing or live on a ship.

Put it this way, according to the navy, for The Hampton roads, the Navy says that naval station Oceania and NWS Yorktown are co located, and if you think that is true I dare you to make the drive between them not at midnight at less than 65mph (and even then the speed limits are poo poo) in less than 2 hours at best. Another example is how DC and how HR are considered co located due to physical distance, this only works at best in the west, but say with how far apart bases even in Japan are, it's an effective disincentive for mil mil marriages and a hidden punishment for mil women, unless you want to force one member to geobatch[and not to mention precoms where you can't for the o side, unless this yard has secret officer staterooms pre barge]

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That's not an argument for dual BAH though, that's an argument to fix the broken colocation rules.

I suspect Obama is onboard for two reasons:
1) It's politically never bad to support r troops
2) It's an actual effective middle class stimulus

In a vacuum I disagree that married mil-mil are both entitled to dependent BAH and despise even more that these people often think they "deserve" it, especially since so many of them would be quick to crucify welfare queens or other government welfare programs. That said, it's a net plus for the economy and so I support it's continued existence.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
It's obvious what needs to happen. Forbid service members from marrying each other.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

germskr posted:

It's obvious what needs to happen. Forbid service members from marrying each other.

But the E-3 I met in C-school that married a Chief at her first command really, truly loves him!

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

Ryand-Smith posted:

it's an effective disincentive for mil mil marriages and a hidden punishment for mil women

I'm super curious to hear how this is a 'hidden punishment' for women. In fact how does it affect women any more than men.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vrath posted:

I'm super curious to hear how this is a 'hidden punishment' for women. In fact how does it affect women any more than men.

A much higher percentage (I have heard as high as 47%) of married women in the military are mil-mil, where only 7% of married males are. Males are FAR more likely to be married to a civilian, where women are far more likely to be married to another military member. So it disproportionally hurts women, since they are generally 1/2 of a mil-mil marriage.

In fact, of the married women I personally know (and in 19 years I know a lot,) only ONE is married to a man who has never been military. Even my lesbian friends are more likely to be mil-mil where my gay buddies are usually mil-civ.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

gently caress all married people in the Mil and the bullshit benefits they get that I didn't. Not to mention all the work they miss. "Gotta take my boo to her medical appointment!!"

lmao barracks until e-6 get hosed

it's cool though now I don't have a terrible divorce and 4 kids to deal with

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Well the article specifically says Obama opposes proposal to change BAH regulations.

Also this part that says "But she said she needs that money to help pay for graduate school and also to start a family, which would require full-time child care for two active-duty parents." is designed to alienate the two officers from average americans who probably don't even have a bachelor's, are in severe college debt or can't even dream of affording full time daycare let alone part time daycare.

Like poster said earlier this example was used as a straw man to show "look at dem rich officers stealing from the guvment."

I think it's wrong to gently caress with BAH because these changes will hurt more people than save the government money, even if some officers are getting dual $2400 BAH checks, I bet you more poor E-3 or E-6 couples need it more to support their 5 little ones and what else.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

poopkitty posted:

A much higher percentage (I have heard as high as 47%) of married women in the military are mil-mil, where only 7% of married males are. Males are FAR more likely to be married to a civilian, where women are far more likely to be married to another military member. So it disproportionally hurts women, since they are generally 1/2 of a mil-mil marriage.

In fact, of the married women I personally know (and in 19 years I know a lot,) only ONE is married to a man who has never been military. Even my lesbian friends are more likely to be mil-mil where my gay buddies are usually mil-civ.

But for every woman who is affected by this the husband service member is equally affected by it. No matter how you look at it this change would affect male and female indiscriminately.

A better argument would be that taking money away from mil-mil to marriage might dissuade women from staying in for a career in the military because they wouldn't be paid as much. But that doesn't make sense either because if she's married mil to mil she was already sacrificing for a military career. And if she's any good at what she does why would she leave her career over one BAH check? Especially if her prospect is to become a dependa spouse if she wants to remain colocated?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Howard Phillips posted:

But for every woman who is affected by this the husband service member is equally affected by it. No matter how you look at it this change would affect male and female indiscriminately.

A better argument would be that taking money away from mil-mil to marriage might dissuade women from staying in for a career in the military because they wouldn't be paid as much. But that doesn't make sense either because if she's married mil to mil she was already sacrificing for a military career. And if she's any good at what she does why would she leave her career over one BAH check? Especially if her prospect is to become a dependa spouse if she wants to remain colocated?

You are a SWO type, right? If so I was reading that unlike the enlisted schedules, SWO schedules are strict if you want to make rank, and this is why a lot of women tend to quit at the first possibly O3 chance, or like some posted, pay absurd amounts of money for live in nannies/childcare. Is this right?

Also, vrath, poopkities sniped me with my comment, sorry!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Ryand-Smith posted:

You are a SWO type, right? If so I was reading that unlike the enlisted schedules, SWO schedules are strict if you want to make rank, and this is why a lot of women tend to quit at the first possibly O3 chance, or like some posted, pay absurd amounts of money for live in nannies/childcare. Is this right?

Officer career pipelines are generally a lot more strict then enlisted ones across all designators. If anything SWO is probably the least strict of all the URL communities actually.

Women military wide punch out early simply because they are limited in when they can have children and the time commitment required after they have one.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I can't put in the effort to get mad about a couple double-dipping BAH when we're paying for F-35's and Bates is taking money under the table to make sailors' feet miserable. I mean, it's like one of the only military bullshit things that is a positive for the people.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
32nd St exchange doesn't sell books. :wtc:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

32nd St exchange doesn't sell books. :wtc:

Why are you looking for books at the NEX?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Because it's convenient.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
reeding is 4 fagets

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
A friend wrote a pretty good article (also: mil-mil... ooooooooh)
http://www.mother.ly/articles/what-it-will-take-to-keep-working-mothers-like-me-in-the-navy

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Because it's convenient.

Clearly it isn't.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Clearly it isn't.

It never occurred to me that an exchange might not sell books, especially one this size. But I offer my humble apologies for daring to attempt to buy a book at the NEX.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

It never occurred to me that an exchange might not sell books, especially one this size. But I offer my humble apologies for daring to attempt to buy a book at the NEX.

It never occurred to me that an exchange might have anything more than a handful of genre trash and this week's bestsellers so I really wouldn't ever think of buying a book at the NEX.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

It's crazy seeing people I used to know with LT bars.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

It never occurred to me that an exchange might have anything more than a handful of genre trash and this week's bestsellers so I really wouldn't ever think of buying a book at the NEX.

You are right about that. I was just looking for something to pass the time on the midnight watch in between moving pretend ships and airplanes around on a screen and then getting poo poo on by douche pickle reservist O-5s and O-6s because I totally moved my pretend mans to some place they didnt like but dont worry they are totally with current TTPs because they have a bullshit contractor job at SPAWAR, etc where they sit around with their buddies telling the same stories over and over again and omg fml.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Our PX has a whole section devoted to comic books :science:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

vulturesrow posted:

You are right about that. I was just looking for something to pass the time on the midnight watch in between moving pretend ships and airplanes around on a screen and then getting poo poo on by douche pickle reservist O-5s and O-6s because I totally moved my pretend mans to some place they didnt like but dont worry they are totally with current TTPs because they have a bullshit contractor job at SPAWAR, etc where they sit around with their buddies telling the same stories over and over again and omg fml.

O-4 problems.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Do final multiple scores for advancement typically swing pretty far from exam to exam? For example, if the FMS to advance is 140 one cycle, and then 135 the next , would it be typical for it to stay around that range, or can it have drastic swings, like 135 then shooting up to 180?

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Just found out another reservist with me at the watch floor picked up Third Class.Last year. No one from his unit or at the FIOC told him when he transferred in. They found out while doing our Evals this past week. So naturally they're waiting until the end of the month to tell him, while they announce whose gotten off FEP. loving :lol:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

squarerandom posted:

Just found out another reservist with me at the watch floor picked up Third Class.Last year. No one from his unit or at the FIOC told him when he transferred in. They found out while doing our Evals this past week. So naturally they're waiting until the end of the month to tell him, while they announce whose gotten off FEP. loving :lol:

99.9999%: So, gonna go out on a limb and say, he never checked his pay or account?

0.0001%: Or are you saying they didn't process an award or something on time and he made it off a recalculated score?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

Do final multiple scores for advancement typically swing pretty far from exam to exam? For example, if the FMS to advance is 140 one cycle, and then 135 the next , would it be typical for it to stay around that range, or can it have drastic swings, like 135 then shooting up to 180?

Completely dependent on manning. Most of the time (in my experience) I've seen the final multiple stay in generally the same area, but I've heard from people in other rates of drastic swings. No real way to determine.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Follow up question: Is there a way to find out a previous FMS by rate, or do you pretty much need to see someone's profile sheet who took the exam?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Lucius posted:

Follow up question: Is there a way to find out a previous FMS by rate, or do you pretty much need to see someone's profile sheet who took the exam?

I'm sure it's tucked away in a spreadsheet buried deep in the vaults of some IT3s share drive folder next to the pictures from Shitmylposays. Send an email to NETC and you might get lucky, worst they can do is not respond or say no.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Eh, probably not worth it. I'm just trying to figure out how well I'm going to have to do on the exam to advance in November, but really there's no way to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Nick Soapdish posted:

99.9999%: So, gonna go out on a limb and say, he never checked his pay or account?

0.0001%: Or are you saying they didn't process an award or something on time and he made it off a recalculated score?

I'm guessing it's a little of both. He was complaining about how at medical he kept getting called Petty Officer (the day I later found out lol) but he's also had nothing but pay issues since he's been here and his command back home completely blows and doesn't help him at all.

• Locked thread