Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Releasing minors = Making France smaller = Making their Liberty Desire smaller?

Yes, that's the idea.

PittTheElder posted:

Ah, then yeah, attack Castile. If you lose, or even if you win, try and release minors from northern France. Though I don't know if the peace deal would let you do that.

Every time I've gotten into a war with France on one side and Castile/Spain on the other, Castile comes wandering into France. Let them attack the French stacks and that'll wear them down some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Rivalries do seem messed up since CS. As Ayutthaya i westernized and almost immediately got rivaled by England, Spain and Russia, none of whom I (yet) border. Europe is an extremely peaceful place because all these idiots are rivaling me instead. Meanwhile my real enemy Ming, despite being bigger than me and equal in military tech (while Chinese tech group, gg Paradox), isn't a valid rival.

All I need to do to get Indochina cored is integrate Hsenwi and then gently caress this campaign, having all of Europe breathing down my neck makes no sense.

Edit: I mean it makes perfect sense but not to this extent

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 13, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

Rivalries do seem messed up since CS. As Ayutthaya i westernized and almost immediately got rivaled by England, Spain and Russia, none of whom I (yet) border. Europe is an extremely peaceful place because all these idiots are rivaling me instead. Meanwhile my real enemy Ming, despite being bigger than me and equal in military tech (while Chinese tech group, gg Paradox), isn't a valid rival.

All I need to do to get Indochina cored is integrate Hsenwi and then gently caress this campaign, having all of Europe breathing down my neck makes no sense.
There's a tech level limit for rivals, Chinese and Western tech groups are too far apart. I have the same issue in my Ternate game with Europeans rivaling me and start circle jerking each other with the relation bonus from sharing rival.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

What would you do?

I am Brandenburg. It is around 1530, I have the provinces to form Prussia but not the Diplo tech.

I lead a Personal Union with France. I have them at 85% Liberty Desire with Castille and Sweden supporting them. So far they've been good but I am allied with Austia and about six other HRE members in case there is an independence war.

I'm stretching my budget thin by getting my military up to lower the Liberty Desire. I am one level behind them in Diplo tech, which is lagging due to me needing multiple allies.

If you can somehow get into a war with the two of them they won't be able to support independence any longer.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
When someone embargoes you and then you beat them down in a trade war does that remove the embargo?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zettace posted:

When someone embargoes you and then you beat them down in a trade war does that remove the embargo?

It should for the duration of the peace. Neither will be able to re-apply embargoes during the truce either.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zettace posted:

you don't need a trade war. Winning any kind of war against a nation that embargoes you will lift it for the duration of the truce.

if you really want to rub salt on the wounds force them to give you trade power.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

For people with issues on ironman autosaves, are you using local saves? These are much faster on my PC than the cloud saves, since it doesn't have to upload the data every month. I hardly notice the autosaves as it is, and my PC is 6-7 years old and almost literally falling apart.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

OneTwentySix posted:

For people with issues on ironman autosaves, are you using local saves? These are much faster on my PC than the cloud saves, since it doesn't have to upload the data every month. I hardly notice the autosaves as it is, and my PC is 6-7 years old and almost literally falling apart.

I use local autosaves and have an SSD and the pauses feel like they take longer than they should. Especially at speed 5 I'd say almost half of the time going by is the game being paused to save.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Poil posted:

Cheating with the console has an amazing ability, you can force the Abolish Slavery event on a province to make it produce unknown trade goods and effectively reroll the crappy gold into something more useful, like grain or wool.

If you're going to do that, just fire the event that creates whatever trade good you want.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SeaTard posted:

If you're going to do that, just fire the event that creates whatever trade good you want.
I just want any trade good that's not gold and picked that event so I wouldn't just get good or out of place trade goods, like tea or silk. :v:

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
drat, pretty sure that province of Portugal's is a trade post. If I take it in a war can I Westernize off of it or am I truely screwed until I can get next to a colonial nation?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Treasure fleets are kind of messed up.

If 18.87 ducats of gold each month raises my inflation by .03/year, why does a smaller amount as a one time thing cause ten times the inflation? That amount is 6.1% of that month's income, or roughly 0.5% of the yearly income. I mean, I regularly take hundreds, sometimes thousands of ducats in treaties, and I don't think that has as much of an effect as what basically amounts to what my leader might find in his couch cushions. I get that treasure from the New World caused inflation issues, but shouldn't it be scaled to the gold production in the Old World? Even if I'd received the entire fleet, that's only about five months of gold production.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

drat I wish I had have known you can't westernise off trade companies since I've inadvertantly westernised half of south east Asia and Africa in this Netherlands game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

drat I wish I had have known you can't westernise off trade companies since I've inadvertantly westernised half of south east Asia and Africa in this Netherlands game.
Take heart in knowing you've brought the light of civilization to barbarian shores.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's a good way to keep the competition down apparently! I like how after taking one colony in Africa Portugal has just hosed off to the rest of the world, and that one colony they turn into a trade company, which will fail constantly from lack of trade power.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

While you can't westernize off of a trade company province you border, you can westernize off of a core of yours being owned by a western country, trade company or not. So if you conquer a province off of a less advanced country, it will become western if you don't later annex it.

GSD fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 13, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

GSD posted:

While you can't westernize off of a trade company province, you can westernize off of a core of yours being owned by a western country, trade company or not. So if you conquer a province off of a less advanced country, it will become western if you don't later annex it.

This is good to know. All the good ports are owned by uncivs so I guess I'll be westernising them anyway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OneTwentySix posted:

Treasure fleets are kind of messed up.

If 18.87 ducats of gold each month raises my inflation by .03/year, why does a smaller amount as a one time thing cause ten times the inflation? That amount is 6.1% of that month's income, or roughly 0.5% of the yearly income. I mean, I regularly take hundreds, sometimes thousands of ducats in treaties, and I don't think that has as much of an effect as what basically amounts to what my leader might find in his couch cushions. I get that treasure from the New World caused inflation issues, but shouldn't it be scaled to the gold production in the Old World? Even if I'd received the entire fleet, that's only about five months of gold production.
Treasure fleets are indeed kind of messed up. I really like the idea, but the inflation is just too much to be worth it. Why would I want to gain money from something that adds a lot of inflation when I could just get money from things that only give me a little or none at all?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

There is definitely something weird and broken about rivals when countries get big. I am playing my second Ethiopia game, and in the first I get rivaled by landlocked Poland-Lithuania when the closest province I owned was Cairo.

This game I got rivaled by Austria. I would almost get a colonizing nation because I beat them to South Africa; however, I still don't border a single European province in Africa, I'm even less close to Europe or the Mediterranean than last time, and I get rivaled by non-colonial Austria on another continent.

I'm assuming this has to do with who the game considers a "valid" rival, and as a large Empire--in south east Africa--I'm one of the only states that is big enough to qualify as an Austrian rival.

I really don't think this makes much sense, tbh.

You're Christian and Egypt is really quite close to Europe, so they don't treat you much differently than they would, say, a revived Byzantium. You should take advantage of this instead - once you are in Egypt you can usually also ally Austria and Poland, if you do it before they decide they hate you.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
With the rival system you just gotta be smart about it and by smart I mean making sure your relations with the other great powers are positive. I think the AI just checks to see current and potential rivals and sees oh hey here's a guy I have -45 relations with so let's rival him instead, all while not checking distance.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

And then this happens four years later . . .

Oh no, 1.0 inflation . . . or I could snag three treasure fleets for a nice 61 ducats for the same amount, wow.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

As Spain I had taken Jolof for flavor early on and had a real rough surprise from Mali when Portugal started to expand inwards from the west coast and called me into their wars a hundred years later

I thought a 12 unit stack would be enough for anything Africa could throw at me

drat western arrogance

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 14, 2015

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Will HRE states get agressive expansion penalties from me if i expand into Danzig and eastwards as Brandenburg or is it far enough away? I don't want to start the war just to find out i'll get coalitioned if i take anything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They'll care (mostly Austria, Bohemia, and Pommerania), but they'll care a lot less. HRE AE is doubled.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Any tips for taking a free city? Friesland has 4 allies (including NorSweDenmark), and being a free city the Palatinate will protect them. I tried declaring war on a smaller ally, but the AE was just too great for just their one province, it would've caused a huge coalition. So it looks like it requires making them a co-belligerent (which should at least keep the Emperor out, right?), but that means I still have to deal with their billion allies. Is it just going to be hoping that by dumb luck some day their allies will all refuse to join?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Wait for them to lose their free city status, that's how you take a free city if you can't handle their allies and the emperor's allies

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Back To 99 posted:

Will HRE states get agressive expansion penalties from me if i expand into Danzig and eastwards as Brandenburg or is it far enough away? I don't want to start the war just to find out i'll get coalitioned if i take anything.

Just keep an eye on the coalition mapmode to see your AE, coalitions will start to form at 30 AE. It's not that big a deal if small coalitions form and is sort of inevitable if you're conquering aggressively. Make sure to keep strong allies (P/L, Denmark and friends if their PUs hold, Saxony, maybe Austria, France, etc) if you're going to expand that hard. Having a coalition form against you doesn't mean you're screwed, just back off for a few years and keep your alliances healthy.

Brandenburg/Prussia is a great playthrough for learning AE and HRE mechanics. Get Influence ASAP.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Zeeland has revolted 4 times now with Duch separatists by event, not from revolt risk. Will this stop at some point? Netherlands has formed. I am Poland. I don't mind keeping 25 troops there forever I guess :|

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jsor posted:

making them a co-belligerent (which should at least keep the Emperor out, right?)
Being a cobelligerent means they can call their allies and I believe their protectors (HRE Emperor, Defender of Faith, ect)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The defender of the faith is not called in via cobelligerence. I forget if the emperor can be called in, I haven't played inside the HRE much lately.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Alright, England game was coming along fine. Lots of trade, colonies, and even nibbling almost all of France's coastline...but now, in the early 1600s, there's an English Civil War disaster looming, saying I need to have a debate in Parliament.

I can find no key or tab for that. Is it in one of the expansions?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jsor posted:

Any tips for taking a free city? Friesland has 4 allies (including NorSweDenmark), and being a free city the Palatinate will protect them. I tried declaring war on a smaller ally, but the AE was just too great for just their one province, it would've caused a huge coalition. So it looks like it requires making them a co-belligerent (which should at least keep the Emperor out, right?), but that means I still have to deal with their billion allies. Is it just going to be hoping that by dumb luck some day their allies will all refuse to join?

Keep in mind, people will only join a coalition against you if they are hostile to you. They will (usually) only go hostile if they have negative relations with you which means if you improve relations with folks who will care you can go over 30 AE just fine. Just keep them above 0 relations and everything should be okay.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What's the general strategy with Tabarestan? Thinking about going for This is Persia with them as my next game. Just looking around they seem to pretty much be hostile to all of their big neighbors, and even if they weren't the religion/army/navy size penalties seem like they prevent you from allying with Timurids, QaraQ, Ottos, or Mamluks. I'm thinking of trying to expand up and across the Caspian first into Shirvan or Gazikumukh depending on who they ally, but I'm not too sure how to go about not dying in the meantime.

Do you just improve relations with all your neighbors and pray?

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Sephyr posted:

Alright, England game was coming along fine. Lots of trade, colonies, and even nibbling almost all of France's coastline...but now, in the early 1600s, there's an English Civil War disaster looming, saying I need to have a debate in Parliament.

I can find no key or tab for that. Is it in one of the expansions?

Bottom right corner you will see a button near the HRE button - start a debate their, bribe the seats with various stuff to get a chance of winning. It's a pretty neat mechanic tbh.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

VDay posted:

What's the general strategy with Tabarestan? Thinking about going for This is Persia with them as my next game. Just looking around they seem to pretty much be hostile to all of their big neighbors, and even if they weren't the religion/army/navy size penalties seem like they prevent you from allying with Timurids, QaraQ, Ottos, or Mamluks. I'm thinking of trying to expand up and across the Caspian first into Shirvan or Gazikumukh depending on who they ally, but I'm not too sure how to go about not dying in the meantime.

Do you just improve relations with all your neighbors and pray?

I think most Tabarestan strategies revolve around releasing your other province as a 1 province Persia, then using powerful alliance to get cores back for them and/or waiting for the Timurids to explode and getting your Persia a ton of provinces for free. Then diploannex them, then form Persia.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Thunder Moose posted:

Bottom right corner you will see a button near the HRE button - start a debate their, bribe the seats with various stuff to get a chance of winning. It's a pretty neat mechanic tbh.

I believe it needs Common Sense, though. If you don't have that then you're probably screwed... :(

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

He's not """"screwed""""""""

It's very confusing the way it is displayed and worded but the english civil war is meant to fire after 1600, there is no avoiding it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, just ride that sucker out, you're not just supposed to avoid everything bad happening to your country.

Mod talk: anyone have experience with map modding at all? I'm trying to do a really simple thing, just smooth out the borders in the Kola peninsula to make them not pointlessly jagged and discontinuous. But if I just add a new provinces.bmp in my mod folder, the game hangs on Initializing Map Logic at start up, and I'm at a loss as to why.
e: Nope, I just had to wait a long rear end time for it to re-cache I guess.
e2: All I changed was 9 pixels. 9 pixels!

e3: Stupid compatibility options. Color space information sounds like the kind of thing you'd want! Oh well, off to the races now. Probably need to smooth out Korela a bit now though. Don't suppose anyone has a good cache of old-timey maps out there in the grand internet? Not that it's ever easy to match it to the goofy rear end EU projection (god how I wish I could fix that, but it'd be weeks of work), but it'd be nice to have something to go off of.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kersch posted:

I think most Tabarestan strategies revolve around releasing your other province as a 1 province Persia, then using powerful alliance to get cores back for them and/or waiting for the Timurids to explode and getting your Persia a ton of provinces for free. Then diploannex them, then form Persia.

And pray five times a day that your neighbors don't decide that they want to eat you before the Timurids eat poo poo. Though in my game Tabarestan remained independent until I ate them in the 1700s, even with a large Persia and a large Gharkiwhatever next to them. The whole of Eastern Anatolia and the southern Caspian was a fragmented mess all game for me, maybe that happens more often in Common Sense.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 14, 2015

• Locked thread