Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Going by Serenes Forest, there's only two cases where the female class has better speed in FE6: Generals (-2 Strength for +1 Speed & Resistance) and Bishops (-1 Skill & Defense for +1 Magic & Speed). Female Paladins (are there any in this game?) are at -1 Strength, Speed and Defense caps for +1 Resistance cap.

Incidentally, Female Wyvern Lords are at -1 for Strength & Defense in exchange for +1 to Resistance and, for some reason, Constitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Red Metal posted:

Going by Serenes Forest, there's only two cases where the female class has better speed in FE6: Generals (-2 Strength for +1 Speed & Resistance) and Bishops (-1 Skill & Defense for +1 Magic & Speed). Female Paladins (are there any in this game?) are at -1 Strength, Speed and Defense caps for +1 Resistance cap.

Incidentally, Female Wyvern Lords are at -1 for Strength & Defense in exchange for +1 to Resistance and, for some reason, Constitution.

The only female Paladins in the GBA games are Isadora in FE7 and Amelia in FE8. Both of those have worse problems than their caps. Those worse problems being Isadora and Amelia.

Note: I have used Amelia in every single playthrough of FE8 that I have ever done. This doesn't change the fact that she's just god awful.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
"bad unit" is just a word for people who don't want to try

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Onmi posted:

The only female Paladins in the GBA games are Isadora in FE7 and Amelia in FE8. Both of those have worse problems than their caps. Those worse problems being Isadora and Amelia.

Note: I have used Amelia in every single playthrough of FE8 that I have ever done. This doesn't change the fact that she's just god awful.

Hey! Someone else who hates a Trainee. I use Ross every time I go through FE8 and every time his speed is so terrible he goes back to the bench where he belongs.

Isadora's problem is her 6 con. For being in a class that's built around weapon triangle superiority, she can't use two of her weapons effectively while also being fast enough to not explode in combat.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Hey! Someone else who hates a Trainee. I use Ross every time I go through FE8 and every time his speed is so terrible he goes back to the bench where he belongs.

Isadora's problem is her 6 con. For being in a class that's built around weapon triangle superiority, she can't use two of her weapons effectively while also being fast enough to not explode in combat.

Like I said, I use her, and sure, once she hits 10/20/20 she sure has some nice stats... but this is FE8, I don't need glowing numbers unless I'm doing the creature campaign, and I don't care about the creature campaign. And her glowing stats aren't that much better than everyone elses glowing stats, and they all came faster!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

How about glowing stats attached to a giant hunka man with a skyhigh crit rate.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

How about glowing stats attached to a giant hunka man with a skyhigh crit rate.

Duessel's already on the team.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

vilkacis posted:

No I couldn't, but I wouldn't even if I could. I have characters who haven't disappointed me terribly to spend money on.
B-but then you could make a doping joke.

Also, the main reason I use Amelia in FE8 is because I've beaten it once and so I can make her a Super Recruit, which means at 10/20/1 she is the only lance user in many, many games that gets a flat bonus to crit. And her crit animation is adorable :3:

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

vilkacis posted:

No I couldn't, but I wouldn't even if I could. I have characters who haven't disappointed me terribly to spend money on.

Like Shanna?

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I always turn my amelias into generals.

she caps speed.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

She's survived dodged her share of life threatening hits and killed a good number of stuff. I'll defend the badly statted little pegasus woman who could to the hilt!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tyty posted:

Don't female units still, in general, have more res growth than their male counterparts and less def?

I never noticed a difference in strength or magic but before I had all greens my female units definitely had more res. might've been just rng though.
i mean, sure, but that isn't literally gender exclusivity. Every character has their own growths. The caps are the same.

Really though, the real problem with female units in the GBA games isn't a 1 or two point difference at the very end of the game, the problem is that every female unit gets punished by having incredibly lovely con. And god help them if they have the audacity to be in a physical class that uses axes or lances, unless your name is Wendy or Vaida.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 14, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually, wanna know the real hosed up thing?

Aid formula for male mounted units: 25 - con. So a unit with 10 con would have 15 aid.

Aid formula for female mounted units: 20 - con. So a unit with 10 con would have 10 aid.

Net result of this: If a female mounted unit has half-decent con, they suddenly can't rescue anyone, because gently caress you I guess.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Endorph posted:

Aid formula for male mounted units: 25 - con. So a unit with 10 con would have 15 aid.

Aid formula for female mounted units: 20 - con. So a unit with 10 con would have 10 aid.

Net result of this: If a female mounted unit has half-decent con, they suddenly can't rescue anyone, because gently caress you I guess.

And naturally, Pegasus Knights are female-only because :japan:. Any Pegasus Knight who could use a lance worth a drat wouldn't be able to work as a troop transporter, and vice versa. Some goony rear end in a top hat in development probably thought this was "game balance".

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

alcharagia posted:

"bad unit" is just a word for people who don't want to try

"Bad unit" is two words, and they are applied to units who don't want to try. :colbert:

Shei-kun posted:

B-but then you could make a doping joke.

Didn't I already do that when I fed Bartre all those speedwings?

...and Shanna. Characters who haven't disappointed me terribly, and Shanna.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

Here's a funnier thing, both myself and the Awful Emblem teams removed this because it was dumb, and in the Awful Emblem teams case, it caused Serenes folks to assume that meant that June a female cavalier, was transexual, because why else would she have male con formula?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Speaking of is there a place I could see what you guys are doing for AwFE?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not really? I mean I guess we could start up a blog or something but we usually keep things close to the chest until we're either ready for a release or we want feedback on something. We haven't done any substantial work in a month or two because that's just how we roll sometimes, but we have almost all of Act 2 written up (Chp. 10-19) and Chp. 10-15 are all in various stages of completion, ranging from "playable but with no plot" to "We have a map! :downs:"

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Onmi posted:

Here's a funnier thing, both myself and the Awful Emblem teams removed this because it was dumb, and in the Awful Emblem teams case, it caused Serenes folks to assume that meant that June a female cavalier, was transexual, because why else would she have male con formula?

Oh my god please tell me there's a link to that thread

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh my god please tell me there's a link to that thread

It's better, it's a video! I'll let Artix or one of the other people link it to you since I don't have it or a time stamp.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Onmi posted:

It's better, it's a video! I'll let Artix or one of the other people link it to you since I don't have it or a time stamp.

:10bux: it's that markyjoe cat

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol serenesforest posters are broken

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Nope, Kitty of Time, who was also doing an FE6 Remake project that featured some lovely portraits.

It was done for last years FEE3 project I believe.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Iron Rose posted:

Kitty of Time, actually. I'll dig up the video when I get home from work, the whole thing is pretty great because he's insufferable th entire way through and they totally loving missed the point of our joke trailer.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

What the gently caress is a Gertrude? :confused:

E: Or a Klimar or a Celdia?

E2: Oh god more OC names show up every time I look at it. :magical:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 14, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

Oh, Serenes :allears:

Onmi posted:

Nope, Kitty of Time, who was also doing an FE6 Remake project that featured some lovely portraits.

Why did he make Murdock's collar so small? :confused:

Several of those names are from that manga that gets referenced every few maps with a named weapon or staff or something. I got Tina's staff last time, and there's Al's sword and Gant's lance. At least Celdia seems to be from there as well (or it could be a reference to someone who mods Final Fantasy Tactics, I dunno).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

vilkacis posted:

Why did he make Murdock's collar so small? :confused:
Son of a bitch, I knew it!

quote:

Several of those names are from that manga that gets referenced every few maps with a named weapon or staff or something. I got Tina's staff last time, and there's Al's sword and Gant's lance. At least Celdia seems to be from there as well (or it could be a reference to someone who mods Final Fantasy Tactics, I dunno).
I know about the manga characters, but afaik it's just those referenced three (and I guess maybe Celdia if you say so?) but there's a whole bunch of portrait-less ones with very obviously fanfic names. Kruzard? Zem?

E: I'll grant that I haven't read Hasha no Tsurugi myself and quite possibly look like a dickhead, but I've always seen it mentioned as the adventures of those three+Roy's army.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 14, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Onmi posted:

Serenesforest is a shame that it's a good website littered with poo poo people that makes GBS well-mannered and considerate. 90% of them are legitimately either 14 or think everyone must be transsexual and literally only play fire emblem.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Onmi posted:

Dorothy and Sue look like they were shoved a split second before the camera flashed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Serra is hilarious. But those are some real pretty portraits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

everyone must be transsexual and literally only play fire emblem.
my kind of world

also my question about those portraits is why did he recolor marcus, shanna, and treck's armor

also why did treck get renamed to troy. treck is a name. a really uncommon one, and usually a surname, but still.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

my kind of world

also my question about those portraits is why did he recolor marcus, shanna, and treck's armor

also why did treck get renamed to troy. treck is a name. a really uncommon one, and usually a surname, but still.
Troy is also a name. Dunno why he changed it though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

obvs. troy is a name but i meant 'if the name works why change it'

it isn't a situation where the directly romanized name is kind of nonsense, like Dalahowe (devdan) in FE9 or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Subaki.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The execution of the Lilina portrait is bad but I like the idea of her being tall. Hector's a big guy, let his daughter get in on those genes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its because its unfinished.
Theres some detailing and shading left undone.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Why did he rename Fir to Fern?

That's just swapping an axe magnet for a name asking to be trampled by everyone.

Also, Bors' chin was not increased in size, 0/10.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

rudoga

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
That FE6 remake was my first experience of why you don't discuss character names on Serenes Forest.
Rutoga and Edgar.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Serra is hilarious.
I might be wrong, but I think that portrait was an early version of what Serra now has in Elibean Nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Why did he rename Fir to Fern?

That's just swapping an axe magnet for a name asking to be trampled by everyone.

I feel like ferns are more well known plants compared to firs. So he being an axe magnet turns into a bigger joke.

Should've gone whole hog on it and call her Birch or Timber.

• Locked thread