Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

A Winner is Jew posted:

will be unable to rule

Except for the time he did rule and the next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Donald Trump = Khal Drogo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Can't confirm as I wasn't watching the show but she is a reporter for The Daily Beast:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GalacticAcid posted:

Can't confirm as I wasn't watching the show but she is a reporter for The Daily Beast:

Shortest campaign ever.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rocks posted:

Xaro Xhoan Daxos for obvious reasons.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I mean there is a not insignificant portion of the population that makes above minimum wage but is still poor. People who make $9-10 an hour but rant about fast food workers organizing for more money because 'why should they make more than them?' Very much a crab bucket mentality.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Grover Norquist is the High Sparrow.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Everything about that Walker speech that could be said has been said but I wish him a Wisconsin-related death.

Consumed by one of Wisconsin's roving Giant Spiders, perhaps.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GalacticAcid posted:

Much like Karl Marx, Scott Walker believes that labor should be its own end, rather than a means of self-sufficiency.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Monkey Fracas posted:

Everything about that Walker speech that could be said has been said but I wish him a Wisconsin-related death.

Consumed by one of Wisconsin's roving Giant Spiders, perhaps.

Chased off a cliff by coyotes. They gather around the corpse, sniff it, are taken aback, and then leave, disgusted.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well then who is Cersei? Sarah Palin? Ann Coulter?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

FAUXTON posted:

Well then who is Cersei? Sarah Palin? Ann Coulter?

Ann Romney

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Rafalca.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Ok but which one is you

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Rocks posted:

A Trump campaign is considered a dull affair if at least two major sponsors don't die during it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Caros
May 14, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

A Trump campaign is considered a dull affair if at least two major sponsors don't die during it.

Donald has never been defeated. He has the same hairpiece he was born with.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
-Traditional GOP Talking Points
-Warmongering
-Wackin' It at the Altar of Saint Reagan

my three point plan for America, ladies and gentlemen

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Caros posted:

Donald has never been defeated. He has the same hairpiece he was born with.

but the bankruptcies

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Given that Walker has been elected governor of Wisconsin 3 times (not counting the rest of his political career in the state), what are his honest to god chances he carries the state in the general (assuming he's the nominee obviously). I know it's popular to poo poo on him around here, but he must have some crossover appeal given Wisconsin's habbit of constantly going Dem for president.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Don't be a stupid chump. Bankruptcies were just part of his business strategy. It must suck to be you with such a low iq. Donald Trump had the best loving iq and will make America great again so long as Obama doesn't let El Chapo steal his daughter.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
Part of me believes that Scott Walker is the result of a terribly botched spell to recreate Reagan and that the sweaty, doughy golem of bad ideas is all we were left with.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

Given that Walker has been elected governor of Wisconsin 3 times (not counting the rest of his political career in the state), what are his honest to god chances he carries the state in the general (assuming he's the nominee obviously). I know it's popular to poo poo on him around here, but he must have some crossover appeal given Wisconsin's habbit of constantly going Dem for president.

None of those three elections were on the same day as a presidential election; the voter turnout is wildly different.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

"Sanders went to Brooklyn College for a year before transferring to the University of Chicago. While there, he was active in the Civil Rights Movement, and a student organizer for the Congress of Racial Equality and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee.] One of the actions he took was the coordination of sit-in protests against segregated campus housing. Sanders also participated in the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom."

Casting him in the "white folks who pretend to be allies but mostly just drag their feet and argue that now isn't the right time for progress" role is absurd.

Why? The criticism isn't one of philosophical positions. It isn't saying they have a bad position or that they are lying about their position. It's tearing out ones hair because the person who agrees in principle is always to busy with something else to do something concrete about civil rights right now. Its a criticism of priorities, not positions. You can't defend him from the critique by asserting he has correct positions because that isn't what is being criticized.

So CNN says that Bernie has added a blurb about civil rights to his stump speech. So in his Madison, WI rally the week before last he spoke about it from minute 59:00 to minute 103:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OewBDIwy-O4

Bernie posted:

"All of you who are here this evening, I think, have an understanding about how real change takes place in our country and has historically taken place," Sanders said. "You are aware that change takes place from the bottom on up. It is never from the top on down. People on top are usually the last to know."

.... cites historic examples of various historical victorious grassroots movements from the first labor unions to gay marriage for several minutes ...

Bernie posted:

So as a nation, we have a right to be very proud of the successes that we have seen because of the struggle of millions of people to create a less discriminatory society. That is something we should be proud of. But there is one struggle in which not only have we not succeeded but in which we are losing ground and that is the fundamental struggle for economic justice.

Is it not a fair description to summarize that as, Yes yes racial inequality is bad. I agree. But its not as bad as this other thing that we all should focus on instead? After all, Civil rights is ticking along just fine, it is in economic justice that we are losing ground on not social justice. So its clearly more important, yes? The dishonesty of this manifests in the fact that his statements are self contradictory. He is arguing that he should be elected president so that he can fight for economic justice from "on top" on one hand while insisting that those "on top" just can't do anything about civil rights on the other hand.

I feel confident in my assertion that the issue is not that the office of the president is powerless on those issues, but rather that Bernie has other priorities that take precedence for him. And that, in and of itself, is not the big problem. Issues have to be prioritized. The best candidate overall might not have ones personal issues as high in priority as one would like. If you are telling me that my issue of honey bee die off is important but you have to take care of Universal Health Care first then I'll probably deal with that just fine. But if you tell me that my honey bee issue needs to wait until after you address new guidelines on pesticide use I'm going to start bouncing up and down yelling, "Pesticide use is related to honeybee die off!!! The issues need to be looked at together!!! Wait! Stop!! Nooooooo!!! Seriously look at this, its important!!!".

Likewise, civil rights, gender issues, and economic issues are all pieces of the same puzzle. You really, seriously, for real, have to tackle all of them at once. When Bernie characterizes them as separate, non-intersecting, problems he is either making a shrewd political gamble that he'll gain more votes from pretending not to understand this ... or he actually doesn't understand this. I hope its the former but can't rule out the latter.

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't think calling for body cameras or demilitarizing the police sounds like something a republican would say, either.

You are widening the scope of the criticism in order to invalidate it. The author I quoted, and I, are specifically drawing comparisons between Bernie's claims that minorities shouldn't mind his avoidance of minority issues because what he is doing is more beneficial to the GOP's position that their poor numbers are due to minorities being fooled by democrats into not realizing that the GOP platform - as is - is exactly what they should want. Both are claiming, "The problem isn't my position, its minorities not realizing that my proposals are what is best for them".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Nastier Nate posted:

He's never been elected during a Presidential election so there's a decent chance he doesn't get his state.

But that doesn't really matter, especially if he doesn't win Florida (just like the last candidate to not win his home state).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Caros posted:

Don't be a stupid chump. Bankruptcies were just part of his business strategy. It must suck to be you with such a low iq. Donald Trump had the best loving iq and will make America great again so long as Obama doesn't let El Chapo steal his daughter.

That reminds me: did someone clue Trump into the fact that the Treasury can just print money? And not just any money, the world's reserve currency? With his acumen for leveraging bankruptcies, I can see him as being the first, honest-to-God, print-and-spend President. He's kind of hinted at that by calling other countries "smart" for devaluing their currencies against the USD.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
E: beating dead horse.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

The Nastier Nate posted:

Wisconsin has elections in off years, which tends to favor Republicans, so I wouldn't make much of them electing Republican governors and Democratic presidents.

Edit: Very beaten.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 14, 2015

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Only old people vote in non-Presidential election years, Scott Walker has a 55% disapproval rating in Wisconsin, and Wisconsin has voted Democrat in every Presidential election since 1988.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
edit: I wasted time looking up the turnout figures.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The Nastier Nate posted:

Even the fact that none of those elections was in a presidential year which pulls out the blue voters aside (which several people have already pointed out), Walker is rapidly losing popularity with even the right wing in Wisconsin since the state is so incontrovertibly and undeniably hosed up and he's off campaigning for President instead of actually doing his loving job. His cronies in the state legislature are also upset with him since they have to work with him via phone instead of actually getting to talk to him in person, and they're also taking a lot of public heat for Walker's bullshit policies and legislation that accomplish little other than making him look good for his presidential run (and loving the state even more). Wisconsin's voters are all very aware of all this even if Waukesha is completely in the tank for Walker.

If Walker wins the Republican nomination, then he's going to get stomped in Wisconsin. He doesn't stand a chance here against Clinton or Sanders. The state elected him three times over, they're not gonna be happy seeing him so nakedly demonstrate that those elections were only a stepping stone to the Presidency instead of actually trying to do something good for Wisconsin.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

If people have more economic stability they can more easily advocate for the issues most important to them, and have the ability to more actively engage in citizenship. Helping make sure everyone is empowered economically helps everyone. Seems pretty inclusive to me.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Scott Walker looks and behaves like the dopey dad from any given mediocre sitcom.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

McAlister posted:

So they interviewed Sanders and had all candidates fill out a detailed questionnaire as well as do a recorded interview which was then released internally to union members. If we have any teacher's union members on the forum they could maybe post the videos? Or summarize them?

This is from many pages back, but here are the AFT questionnaire responses from Clinton, Sanders, and O'Malley.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Caros posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That reminds me: did someone clue Trump into the fact that the Treasury can just print money? And not just any money, the world's reserve currency? With his acumen for leveraging bankruptcies, I can see him as being the first, honest-to-God, print-and-spend President. He's kind of hinted at that by calling other countries "smart" for devaluing their currencies against the USD.

Devalue the dollar until it hits Zimbabwe levels, switch to a new currency (the Trump, what else). Sucks for all those holders of USD securities though (:china:).

And everyone else. Trump's fine though. Real Estate baby!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vox Nihili posted:

Scott Walker looks and behaves like the dopey dad from any given mediocre sitcom.

All the charm of Archie Bunker with all the wit of Al Bundy.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

McAlister posted:

Why? The criticism isn't one of philosophical positions. It isn't saying they have a bad position or that they are lying about their position. It's tearing out ones hair because the person who agrees in principle is always to busy with something else to do something concrete about civil rights right now. Its a criticism of priorities, not positions. You can't defend him from the critique by asserting he has correct positions because that isn't what is being criticized.

So CNN says that Bernie has added a blurb about civil rights to his stump speech. So in his Madison, WI rally the week before last he spoke about it from minute 59:00 to minute 103:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OewBDIwy-O4

.... cites historic examples of various historical victorious grassroots movements from the first labor unions to gay marriage for several minutes ...

Is it not a fair description to summarize that as, Yes yes racial inequality is bad. I agree. But its not as bad as this other thing that we all should focus on instead? After all, Civil rights is ticking along just fine, it is in economic justice that we are losing ground on not social justice. So its clearly more important, yes? The dishonesty of this manifests in the fact that his statements are self contradictory. He is arguing that he should be elected president so that he can fight for economic justice from "on top" on one hand while insisting that those "on top" just can't do anything about civil rights on the other hand.

I feel confident in my assertion that the issue is not that the office of the president is powerless on those issues, but rather that Bernie has other priorities that take precedence for him. And that, in and of itself, is not the big problem. Issues have to be prioritized. The best candidate overall might not have ones personal issues as high in priority as one would like. If you are telling me that my issue of honey bee die off is important but you have to take care of Universal Health Care first then I'll probably deal with that just fine. But if you tell me that my honey bee issue needs to wait until after you address new guidelines on pesticide use I'm going to start bouncing up and down yelling, "Pesticide use is related to honeybee die off!!! The issues need to be looked at together!!! Wait! Stop!! Nooooooo!!! Seriously look at this, its important!!!".

Likewise, civil rights, gender issues, and economic issues are all pieces of the same puzzle. You really, seriously, for real, have to tackle all of them at once. When Bernie characterizes them as separate, non-intersecting, problems he is either making a shrewd political gamble that he'll gain more votes from pretending not to understand this ... or he actually doesn't understand this. I hope its the former but can't rule out the latter.

You are widening the scope of the criticism in order to invalidate it. The author I quoted, and I, are specifically drawing comparisons between Bernie's claims that minorities shouldn't mind his avoidance of minority issues because what he is doing is more beneficial to the GOP's position that their poor numbers are due to minorities being fooled by democrats into not realizing that the GOP platform - as is - is exactly what they should want. Both are claiming, "The problem isn't my position, its minorities not realizing that my proposals are what is best for them".

lol if you think hillary will be any better on the issue because she talks about it more. She's talking about a lot of poo poo she's going to do jack gently caress-all to change. This is 2008 all over again with people focusing more on pretty words than actually thinking for a second.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

Noone was getting elected as a supporter of gay rights, outside of weird states and districts with college populations, up until the last four years or so.

Actually .. not entirely true: http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/why-bill-clinton-signed-the-defense-of-marriage-act

Richard Socarides was the founding president of Equality Matters in 2011.

Richard Socarides posted:

When Bill Clinton first ran for President over twenty years ago, he was the first candidate for national office to seek and receive support from an organized gay political community, which was itself new to Presidential politics. In 1992, after twelve years of Republican control of the White House, the federal government had neglected funding the battle against the quickly burgeoning AIDS epidemic. Clinton was sympathetic; because of his interest in civil rights generally, and long friendships with gay and AIDS activists, he was then one of the national politicians most conversant on gay-equality issues.

During that campaign, in May of 1992, as governor of Arkansas, Clinton spoke at the first large-scale Presidential campaign event for gay and lesbian supporters, in West Hollywood, California. He gave an emotional speech largely focussed on the AIDS crisis, in which he spoke of the moral costs to the country of ignoring those suffering from the disease. Gay men with AIDS had been dying at a stunningly rapid rate. Their families, friends, and caretakers had, in many cases, shunned them, and so had national leaders. In contrast, Clinton said, “I want to give you my thanks for that struggle…,” and concluded, “I have a vision and you’re a part of it. I believe we’re all a part of the same community and we’d better start behaving as if we are.”

Clinton won the enthusiastic support of gays and lesbians in the 1992 election. For the first time, contributions from gay Americans factored significantly in campaign fundraising. Gays and lesbians finally had a President who included them rhetorically in the national policy debate.

Clinton made a number of first-ever, high-profile appointments of gay leaders to his team (I was one of the minor ones)

After his reëlection, President Clinton became considerably bolder on gay-rights issues. He became the first President in history to endorse gay-rights legislation by announcing his support for a new federal hate-crimes statute that included sexual orientation. He supported legislation banning employment discrimination against gays. He continued, and even stepped up, appointments of openly gay Americans to important Administration positions, including the recess appointment of James Hormel as the first openly gay Ambassador. He signed an executive order banning sexual-orientation discrimination in the federal civilian workforce, leading the way for much of corporate America to follow.

According to Gay Rights Leaders, the Clintons were held back by the public and the public has been catching up to them, not the other way around. Given that Bill went nuts with executive actions where he could act unopposed but struggled with laws where the House and Senate got to swing their weight around I see no reason to doubt their assertions on this matter.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

this_is_hard posted:

This is nice, but it would be good to hear some actual positions she would take w/r/t union bargaining, eg the Employee Free Choice Act

I mean, okay. she supported it when she was a Senator.

Or maybe a longer statement of her views on it? (She was speaking on the Senate floor, so when she says Mr President, she's referring to the presiding Senator, not to GWB.

But no, she clearly doesn't care about unions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.
I was surprised none of you did this yet. (Also, I'm surprised how many pictures of politicians are just them on a stage or podium looking into the mid-distance, or at something out of the frame.)

http://scottwalkerlookingatthings.tumblr.com/

• Locked thread