Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

So what's the advantage of the mutli-chained hooks? Stumbled into the Web Slinger earlier and it just seems to slow me down.

you can use them to swing across gaps, hanging from the ceiling. Each successive hook will bring you halfway between the last and the new hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Million Ghosts posted:

So what's the advantage of the mutli-chained hooks? Stumbled into the Web Slinger earlier and it just seems to slow me down.

Step 1: Put on Spider Armor
Step 2: Equip Web Slinger
Step 3: Put Spiderman theme on infinite loop.
There is no step 4.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh cool, I found the Angler.... No Angler, don't jump into the giant ditch the meteor used to be-fuuuuck.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Personally, I don't end up making use of the extra hooks of multi-chain hooks since by the time I get them, I usually have rocket boots, which means any advantage in mobility they have over single-chain hooks is already covered by the rocket boots.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Internet Kraken posted:

You get to spiderman around all over the place and also not fall too your death because you mined out the tile your hook is connected too, as you have others. The web slinger is not represenative of other multihooks at all; its a weird gimmick where you have an absurd number of hooks but the range on them is pitiful so its pointless.

If you can get the ivy whipe or slime hook you'll quickly see how useful real multihooks are though.

Apparently I have the Slime Hook already so let's see what the fuss is about

Being Spiderman is an acceptable answer.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Speaking of arenas, I figured I should make one of my own. I had plenty of granite just from all the granite biome enemies dropping it, but I had to make a different world to dig up enough marble:

Once I get access to living fire blocks, I'll put really big flames on the top of the pillars, and the lava pit in the middle still needs to be filled in. Any other advice for building arenas? Eventually, I intend to put in a few heart lanterns/star bottles for regen.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wyvernil posted:

Speaking of arenas, I figured I should make one of my own. I had plenty of granite just from all the granite biome enemies dropping it, but I had to make a different world to dig up enough marble:

Once I get access to living fire blocks, I'll put really big flames on the top of the pillars, and the lava pit in the middle still needs to be filled in. Any other advice for building arenas? Eventually, I intend to put in a few heart lanterns/star bottles for regen.

Are you preparing to fight Conan the Barbarian or something?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

screw lava, put actuated living ultrabright fire blocks on a timer there

REMEMBER ME *flames*

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

kvx687 posted:

They do grow taller if you leave them alone, I think the maximum height they can get is about six or seven tiles high. It also feels like the variant cacti (crimson/corrupt/etc.) grow slightly faster, though I can't tell for sure.

I wonder, can then cut it off at 1 tile high and let it regrow?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Man, I got 172 Meteor ore leftover after making the Space Gun, full meteor armor, Meteror Hamaxe, and a blue Phase Saber. Sabre is a bit of a letdown, as my my Hamaxe has +1 damage over it due to multi mods so it's auto swing nature makes up for the speed difference. At least I know you can turn the sabre into a stronger hard mode version though.

I get the impression either I lucked out on my Meteor mass (aside from having to carefully avoid flooding myself with the ocean while digging out half of it), or have they gradually ramped up how much Meteor rock results in general per impact?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wyvernil posted:

I really appreciate the masterfully designed cleavage.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Gobblecoque posted:

I really appreciate the masterfully designed cleavage.

Should have put the heart statue there.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Excelzior posted:

screw lava, put actuated living ultrabright fire blocks on a timer there

REMEMBER ME *flames*

I don't think you can make vertical flamethrower traps in this update, right? Because that would have the right effect, right there.

I'd have to check once I get to the temple. I hear you can change the direction of traps with the hammer, at least.

Section Z posted:

Man, I got 172 Meteor ore leftover after making the Space Gun, full meteor armor, Meteror Hamaxe, and a blue Phase Saber. Sabre is a bit of a letdown, as my my Hamaxe has +1 damage over it due to multi mods so it's auto swing nature makes up for the speed difference. At least I know you can turn the sabre into a stronger hard mode version though.

I get the impression either I lucked out on my Meteor mass (aside from having to carefully avoid flooding myself with the ocean while digging out half of it), or have they gradually ramped up how much Meteor rock results in general per impact?

I guess the surplus meteorite is so you can use it to make meteor bricks.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Suddenly after this patch light bugs are spawning in mass quantities around my house. I had like 15 in my inventory and just by going back and forth from the sides of my house I ended up with 120 of them in like one minute.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Wyvernil posted:

I don't think you can make vertical flamethrower traps in this update, right? Because that would have the right effect, right there.

I'd have to check once I get to the temple. I hear you can change the direction of traps with the hammer, at least.

Man, being able to change the direction of Spear traps would be the greatest possible thing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Butyraceous posted:

Suddenly after this patch light bugs are spawning in mass quantities around my house. I had like 15 in my inventory and just by going back and forth from the sides of my house I ended up with 120 of them in like one minute.

Too bad that they're pointless when you can just get master or journeyman bait out of crates faster than you can use it up.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
A heads up if anyone notices their quick stack button disappearing: It's caused by using the money trough and you can fix it by talking to an NPC or restarting the game. They're fixing it thankfully.

Edit: It doesn't affect the piggy bank, only the money trough.

Mina fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 14, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Butyraceous posted:

That's been like that, they show up in large numbers on nights of the full moon.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Too bad that they're pointless when you can just get master or journeyman bait out of crates faster than you can use it up.

They can be put into bottles and used as a light source, which looks loving rad because it's like you trapped a soul just for a light source because you're an rear end in a top hat wizard.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They keep nerfing guns and making bows stronger. I don't get it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, what's people's preferences for Crimson vs Corruption?

I favor the Corruption, mainly because it's hardmode enemies aren't nearly as annoying.

Edit: By that I mean they don't float through walls shooting at you.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 14, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I prefer Corruption because it has a more interesting and fun boss fight and its music is one of the game's best tracks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I prefer Corruption because gently caress those goddamn winding Crimson tunnels to get to the things I want to break, and gently caress those goddamned spiders.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

King Doom posted:

Cosmic Key from the Martian Event and whatever heatseeker you like. Just fly in circles and murder him. If you can kill Moon Lord, you can get the nebula suit and the nebula arcanum, they will END fishron.

Akett posted:

Make some armor from the luminite bars (whichever one of the sets you wish, though I would go with the solar for the huge armor) and give yourself all the drat potion buffs you can. One of the best possible ones to get is endurance potion which is a flat 10% damage reduction, from armored cave fish and I think blinkroot.

Thanks for the advice. I'd tried flying with my UFO mount but the acceleration wasn't good enough for me. I ended up crafting Solar Wings and using food + iron skin potion. With the maneuverability plus extra resilience I was able to whittle Fishron down with my Vortex Beater. Now I've killed all of the bosses. :clint:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

You get to spiderman around all over the place and also not fall too your death because you mined out the tile your hook is connected too, as you have others. The web slinger is not represenative of other multihooks at all; its a weird gimmick where you have an absurd number of hooks but the range on them is pitiful so its pointless.

If you can get the ivy whipe or slime hook you'll quickly see how useful real multihooks are though.
Or the skeletron hook which I've gotten in like 3 out of four kills since I started up in 1.3.

Wyvernil posted:

Or meteor shot.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I prefer the crimson because red is my favorite color.

What, you expected something motivated by mechanics? :fuckoff:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

The web slinger is not represenative of other multihooks at all; its a weird gimmick where you have an absurd number of hooks but the range on them is pitiful so its pointless.
...I love the Web Slinger. :negative:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I deliberately infect my worlds with both strains

why choose? :shrug:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

symbolic posted:

...I love the Web Slinger. :negative:

I was alright with it too and used it throughout my new 1.3 run until I pretty much stopped using hooks after getting some wings, especially since I didn't really gently caress with the jungle until hardmode.

RareAcumen posted:

So, what's people's preferences for Crimson vs Corruption?

I favor the Corruption, mainly because it's hardmode enemies aren't nearly as annoying.

Edit: By that I mean they don't float through walls shooting at you.

I think I prefer corruption since it's less gross and also for some reason none of my "homeworlds" have ever had crimson. Too bad we don't have an option to just spawn the world with both.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 14, 2015

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

President Ark posted:

This game is a big dress up and dream home simulator, no shame in that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

President Ark posted:

Hey I'm just curious about what people prefer, I'm not gonna demand pathos or a real complicated reason for why you like whichever. I'm just happy to have the conversation going.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I wish I had crimson so I could cast the Golden Shower spell :(.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like the Crimson because the blood theme is really rad.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I wonder, can then cut it off at 1 tile high and let it regrow?

Yeah you can, that's what I usually do

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

They keep nerfing guns and making bows stronger. I don't get it.

Guns have access to homing chlorophyte rounds, thus negating the need to actually aim. Bows must still be aimed, plus they have an annoying projectile drop to make that harder.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Don't guns shoot more projectiles at lower damage too? Which makes them worse and worse as enemy defense goes up.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Krittick posted:

A heads up if anyone notices their quick stack button disappearing: It's caused by using the money trough and you can fix it by talking to an NPC or restarting the game. They're fixing it thankfully.

Edit: It doesn't affect the piggy bank, only the money trough.

Oh, huh, I just encountered that bug.

Meanwhile I am attempting to farm for the Cell Phone. Got everything except one of the fishing accessories and the Metal Detector. :argh:

I've got a tunnel through the Ice Caverns lined with Water Candles, but I'm getting nothing but bats, skeletons, and spiders (The tunnel pierces two spider caves).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like corruption more because crimson is just the bad gore horror show you see in tons of other games. At least the corruption is pretty and purple, and has way better underground music.

Though maybe its just because its been so long since I was actually in corruption that I think this, but the crimson seems easier. Every enemy in the corruption could either fly or had the obnoxious worm AI which makes them harder to fight. Most of the stuff in the crimson just walks at you and can be easily smacked in the face. Even in hard mode the only enemy that seems somewhat threatening are floaty gross and that's only because they cheat and phase through blocks, but then all they do is try to rub against you so its not very scary.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I wish I had crimson so I could cast the Golden Shower spell :(.

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/

Give yourself 80 Ichor too while you're at it.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Moon Lord :argh:

I didn't know he was gonna spawn, and then I died whoops. I feel like there wasn't a lot I could have done different, except for focusing on the head instead of the hands first maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Even in hard mode the only enemy that seems somewhat threatening are floaty gross and that's only because they cheat and phase through blocks, but then all they do is try to rub against you so its not very scary.

try using a hellevator with an ichor sticker in it. it'll snipe you down the loving thing.