Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Bought one too and was dreading turning it on to see if there was a ton of backlight bleed and dead pixels. Only had a tiny amount of bleed in on of the corners and no dead pixels. The leap to 1440p 60+fps is amazing.

Where did you get it from / what was the manufacturer date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Etrips posted:

Where did you get it from / what was the manufacturer date?

I got it from amazon about a week ago but I just got home from some training so turned it on yesterday. Manufacture date says may2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I don't notice any light bleed, but I have 1 red pixel. It's far to the right and I don't see it during regular use. Where would I find the manufacture date?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

d3rt posted:

I don't notice any light bleed, but I have 1 red pixel. It's far to the right and I don't see it during regular use. Where would I find the manufacture date?

Its in the back of the monitor under the monitor model, in a tag.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
I know its relatively "new", but in a year or two will a 1080p GSYNC monitor go down in price? Over 600 for one of them right now is utterly absurd at that res. I'd pay maybe 300.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its in the back of the monitor under the monitor model, in a tag.

Ah OK so mine is May 2015 as well.

Got it from nothingbutsavings.com. They shipped it in its original box, so a. no additional padding from a larger box with filler and b. neighbors got a lovely eyeful of my new monitor sitting at the front door until I got home from work.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Anyone have experience with an LG monitor? Newegg has a LG 25UM56-P for 170 bucks right now, which seems like a nice deal.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When did Acer change from the crap budget company to a good one?

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When did Acer change from the crap budget company to a good one?

I was wondering the same thing since they seem to have the best monitor that I am looking for on the market right now, but I was previously put off by it being Acer.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm not sure they actually have, considering some goons reported there was hair in their monitors or whatever.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

GruntyThrst posted:

Anyone have experience with an LG monitor? Newegg has a LG 25UM56-P for 170 bucks right now, which seems like a nice deal.

We have these at my university, they're okay if you really REALLY want cheap ultrawidescreen. They're exceptionally short and it might feel a bit cramped in some regards. I feel like if you are going to get an ultrawide, you should at least hit 29 inches.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Yinzer posted:

I know its relatively "new", but in a year or two will a 1080p GSYNC monitor go down in price? Over 600 for one of them right now is utterly absurd at that res. I'd pay maybe 300.

They should, yes. FreeSync is being worked into the various video standards that should be coming out in the next few years, and with some tinkering should be able to do most/all of what the proprietary GSync boards do now. At that point it'll be hard to justify a $100+ price premium for something that's effectively baked into the DP standard for free. But for the moment, yeah, FreeSync has some drawbacks compared to GSync so you gotta pay to play on that front.

Mustarde posted:

I was wondering the same thing since they seem to have the best monitor that I am looking for on the market right now, but I was previously put off by it being Acer.

They haven't. What they are doing is using their relationship with AUO (a major panel manufacturer) to be first-to-market with some new IPS tech panels. Their fit, finish, and overall quality are better than Acer's usual fare, but still not up to the standard of something like a Dell Ultrasharp. Naturally their customer service isn't on that level, either. Happily, other companies are getting their hands on the same panels now and are dropping their own monitors to compete.

Don't get me wrong--if you want a 144Hz 1440p GSync IPS panel right now, Acer has the best (only, really) option. But this should change over the next few months as further monitors drive down prices and hopefully up the QA on the monitors.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
FYI - the Asus PB278Q is on sale for $402.99 from Amazon and Best Buy if anyone had their eye on it. I know it was released back in late 2012, but seems to be pretty good. Oh how I'd love for the XB270HU to go on sale during Amazon's big sale tomorrow. :(

Marklar fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 14, 2015

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I'm not sure they actually have, considering some goons reported there was hair in their monitors or whatever.

A lot of problems people often attribute to a monitor manufacturer are often commonly found in other monitors that use the same panel. For instance, a lot of the faults people attribute to Dell Ultrasharps are also commonly found on any other monitor that uses the same model of LG AH-IPS panels regardless of manufacturer, price or service quality.

So I really see it as more of an AUO problem rather than an Acer problem given the trapped debris problem seems to occur with the Asus MG279Q as well. Hell, I'm fairly sure this sort of problem has been occurring for a while as shithouse panel quality was a pretty serious problem with the Asus ROG Swift (and now Acer XG27HU, which uses the same panel from AUO).

Chafe fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 14, 2015

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I guess it is too much to assume the "Is there poo poo stuck inside the screen?" check would be included in the QA before boxing up a monitor?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CopperHound posted:

I guess it is too much to assume the "Is there poo poo stuck inside the screen?" check would be included in the QA before boxing up a monitor?

We can't afford QA for our $1000 monitors, sorry :(

But yeah, I really wonder what is going on there. These all look like really good monitors, but are plagued by the dumbest poo poo ever.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Chafe posted:

A lot of problems people often attribute to a monitor manufacturer are often commonly found in other monitors that use the same panel.

Crappy stands, crappy OSD, crappy build quality, etc., all of which have been applicable to Acer in the past, are not issues with the panel.

I would at least look at some Acer monitors nowadays, which is a step up from previously, but I probably still wouldn't buy one.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Truga posted:

We can't afford QA for our $1000 monitors, sorry :(

But yeah, I really wonder what is going on there. These all look like really good monitors, but are plagued by the dumbest poo poo ever.

Even on low end monitors I could understand it, but you're selling monitors at almost the literal top of the consumer market. You have to assume these things will be coming back immediately for poo poo like that. It's just throwing away money.

I guess there is the case that it was totally the panels from AUO though and Acer had orders to fill, especially while they were still the special, high demand 144hz snowflake. Still real dumb though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 14, 2015

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I posted a while ago asking about orange monitor discolorations on my Dell U2711. The area of discoloration got bigger and bigger and as it turns out, he was defective. (In the places he had the discolorations, he also got weirdly hot, even though brightness was turned all the way down) I had the monitor for 2 1/2 years and so I made a warranty claim with Dell. Two days later I got a brand-new U2713H via express shipping, as they don't have the U2711 anymore. Totally worth it.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Chafe posted:

A lot of problems people often attribute to a monitor manufacturer are often commonly found in other monitors that use the same panel. For instance, a lot of the faults people attribute to Dell Ultrasharps are also commonly found on any other monitor that uses the same model of LG AH-IPS panels regardless of manufacturer, price or service quality.

So I really see it as more of an AUO problem rather than an Acer problem given the trapped debris problem seems to occur with the Asus MG279Q as well. Hell, I'm fairly sure this sort of problem has been occurring for a while as shithouse panel quality was a pretty serious problem with the Asus ROG Swift (and now Acer XG27HU, which uses the same panel from AUO).

My theory is that consumer demand led Acer to pressure AUO into lowering their QA standards in order to get enough units on shelves when the product was first released. Once sales level off, I would hope the defect rate goes back to acceptable levels.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

GokieKS posted:

Crappy stands, crappy OSD, crappy build quality, etc., all of which have been applicable to Acer in the past, are not issues with the panel.

I would at least look at some Acer monitors nowadays, which is a step up from previously, but I probably still wouldn't buy one.

But most of those complaints aren't really true? The height adjustable stand on the one I owned for a while worked as well as any good height adjustable stand. Ignoring the panel, the build quality is fine unless we're equating gloss plastics with bad build quality.

The OSD also literally gives you every function a typical consumer might want and the presets are sensible enough that you can achieve fairly solid results with a few button presses. As far as overdrive presets go, the "normal" setting is basically objectively perfect.

Really, the only problem with this monitor is that the panel often comes with trapped dust under it. Which is a serious problem but not one I believe is entirely Acer's fault.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 14, 2015

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I bought an Acer XB270HU last week from Newegg and got it Friday night. It's a May 2015 panel and seems fine. No dead/stuck pixels on it and no debris in the panel. There's a bit of backlight bleed around the corners but nothing I would notice if I wasn't staring at a black screen. Overall it's a fantastic monitor but I guess I was lucky to get one with no problems.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there any reason to prefer glass-panel displays?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

signalnoise posted:

It helps if you're shaving at your pc I guess.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

signalnoise posted:

They're easier to clean if you sneeze all over your screen.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My Korean is glossy as hell and it's a nice mirror to remind myself how fat I've gotten after my surgery? That's a plus to glass I guess

Edit: I'm fat now :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Kids in the house?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'm trying to decide between an ASUS VG248QE and a BenQ XL2411Z. Both are 24 inches with 144hz and 1 ms response time. I will be using it for gaming. It looks like the BenQ is about a year newer but besides that I can't see much of a difference between the two. Both have outstanding reviews.

Thoughts?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 15, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit n/m

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 15, 2015

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm trying to decide between an ASUS VG248QE and a BenQ XL2411Z. Both are 24 inches with 144hz and 1 ms response time. I will be using it for gaming. It looks like the BenQ is about a year newer but besides that I can't see much of a difference between the two. Both have outstanding reviews.

Thoughts?

I actually am building a new rig around the VG248QE but since I got it today from Amazon, I hooked it up with my old rig. Just have to find the right color profile (out of the box is garbage) and "hack" for Nvidia Lightboost (http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/). I'm coming from a Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM and the difference is definitely noticeable. Sure color accuracy isn't as good as my Ultrasharp, but if you are exclusively gaming then I wouldn't worry about it. Well worth the money, hopefully you get lucky and get no dead pixels.

FWIW I spent way more time researching monitors than any computer parts because I am very picky when it comes to input lag. However I did read a lot of counter strike players love the BENQ model you linked, so if you are playing a lot of CS:GO might be the monitor to get. People are splitting hairs over color accuracy, and for a TN panel I really don't give a gently caress. If I cared about accurate color reproduction I'd look at maybe an IPS or something better. The other BENQ I looked at was a Gsync 1080p, but the price was too steep to justify it (I might just buy a DIY Gsync kit from Nvidia).

Once I get my new rig built, look forward to seeing BF4 at 144hz without lightboost

Yinzer fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 15, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I plan to play BF4 too but there is no way my PC can reach 144fps on max settings. It should be about 90fps. Does that mean 144hz is useless for me?

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I plan to play BF4 too but there is no way my PC can reach 144fps on max settings. It should be about 90fps. Does that mean 144hz is useless for me?

It is if you don't plan on upgrading that card to get more FPS. I wanted to get by with a GTX970 and play games on Ultra/max settings, but people on this board told me to opt instead for a 980ti because I wanted 144hz.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I plan on picking up a GTX970 to replace my 770. It's an older build with a 2500k and just 8gb of Ram. I cant justify spending the $600 on a 980ti for an incremental upgrade.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I plan on picking up a GTX970 to replace my 770. It's an older build with a 2500k and just 8gb of Ram. I cant justify spending the $600 on a 980ti for an incremental upgrade.

I don't understand what you mean by incremental upgrade. A 770 to a 970 is an incremental upgrade. A 980ti is well over twice as fast.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

I don't understand what you mean by incremental upgrade. A 770 to a 970 is an incremental upgrade. A 980ti is well over twice as fast.

I mean I plan to build an entire new system next year with a Kaby Lake CPU and the "GTX1000 whatever" so it's not worth me throwing down $650 on a card that I'll be using for just a year.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I really want to get one of these fancy 144hz/4K/Gsync/etc displays, but I'm pretty sure it would feel really bad step down in size from the 30" splendour of my Dell 3014.

Something like a 30" XB270HU would be great.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Any great displays on sale for prime day?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any great displays on sale for prime day?

no

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You will still be able to notice a 30fps increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
What do you guys think of this monitor? I plan on building a gaming PC in September. Not going to overclock anything, will run games at 1920x1080. Don't care too much about maximizing FPS. I've had a Dell 1708FP monitor for over 10 years, and aside from the atrocious vertical viewing angle I have been pretty happy with it, but it is finally time to upgrade to a decent widescreen monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-...LED-Lit+Monitor