Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

Given that Walker has been elected governor of Wisconsin 3 times (not counting the rest of his political career in the state), what are his honest to god chances he carries the state in the general (assuming he's the nominee obviously). I know it's popular to poo poo on him around here, but he must have some crossover appeal given Wisconsin's habbit of constantly going Dem for president.

Really really low.

WI governor races are always midterm elections which favor the GOP. The state Dem party can be really dumb sometimes. WI is big into liberal populism. in 2010 when it became clear that Obama was pretty much full of poo poo in his populist campaign, Dem morale was really low. The Dem candidate was Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, one of the most boring candidates one could ever possibly imagine. It is a true challenge to find anything about him that would even allow a person to form an opinion about him. If anyone doubts this, try searching for information about him right now. The activists had nothing to turn people out to vote and were fighting an uphill battle to begin with. So we got Scott Walker.

From the start of his governorship until this very moment, Walker has been taking one endless poo poo on everything good in WI government. It was a lot more extreme than even a lot of the GOP leaning rubes were ready for. Walker ended up with an above 50% disapproval rating in 2011 so the state Dems made the bold play of trying for a recall election. A lot was riding on it. The recall was also going against a big general sentiment in the that that people didn't believe in recall elections without a crime having been committed. Their bold play is to be commended for its initiative. Everyone was sure they would pull out all the stops because boy it would sure look bad if Walker won the recall election. So of course we ended up with the same loving empty suit candidate that lost the first election, Tom Barrett, as the Dem party nominee. poo poo loads of out of state money flooded into to keep Walker in place. There wasn't anything positive to be said about Barrett. He wasn't interested in being too mean to Walker because Barrett is just not that kind of guy. Barrett loses even worse this time than last time. Walker keeps his seat.

Then in 2014, we get another nice, safe moderate who clearly wasn't all that interested in actually running for governor. Burke runs as a moderate who, again, doesn't want to talk too badly about Walker. Her campaign sucks too. Walker is out there speaking to his fired up base, selling his collection of terrible Koch Brothers ideas to all of the idiots and assholes who eat that poo poo up. Burke mumbles into the mic that maybe Wisconsin could possibly do a bit better than Scott Walker. It is a post Citizens United election and WI advertising time is relatively cheap. Walker wins with about the same margin as his first win.

Despite all that, Walker would lose his home state in a presidential election handily. He is very unpopular. Even the type of person who normally buys into Walker's style of politics has seen enough of him to know what a moron Walker is. It is really hard to understate how truly dumb Walker is. Putting aside all of his loathsome politics, the guy is a massive narcissist and as someone else has said, makes George W look like a scholar.

Walker as the GOP nominee would be a wonderful gift to comedy on the level of a Trump nomination. I truly hope Jeb! chokes and Walker takes over the lead long enough that Walker gets the nomination. Having him laughed off of the national stage of politics would be one of my greatest wishes.

MrPants fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
IMO if we're going to do the Jeb! thing we should go all the way with it. It's time for ¡Jeb!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

StandardVC10 posted:

IMO if we're going to do the Jeb! thing we should go all the way with it. It's time for ¡Jeb!

Comes off like someone's taking shots at him for his somewhat-short-of-Juche views regarding immigration and/or his wife's ethnicity.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FAUXTON posted:

Comes off like someone's taking shots at him for his somewhat-short-of-Juche views regarding immigration and/or his wife's ethnicity.

I guess you've got a point. Jeb! it is.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EiqAXDPUmc

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

nonrev posted:

This is from many pages back, but here are the AFT questionnaire responses from Clinton, Sanders, and O'Malley.

These are pretty good reads though the amount of times that Hillary goes 'I'll propose policies later that address this question' is pretty lol.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
To go with the Game of Thrones list, O'Malley and Chafee are a couple of minor lords in The Reach.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

greatn posted:

Could you provide some concrete examples of him getting "huffy" about demographics and saying what minority groups "should" want to talk about? I believe that accurately describes some of his supporters in this thread, but I've seen him specifically talk about minority issues.

Could you link them? My samples come from a mix of my own poking around and friend sending me examples they find objectionable so it is biased that way. A link of him tackling racial issues in a substantive way would be useful.

I posted some examples of him pushing back on demands that he acknowledge racial economic issues above, such as the Madison speech where he shifted responsibility for dealing with racial issues to the public and claimed that people "on top" can't do anything about them anyway. Which is what I was thinking about when I used the word "huffy". If you wish to challenge that while the sentiment may be classified as huffy the delivery of that sentiment was fairly polished I preemptively conceded the point.

I'm so far behind the front edge of this thread that I'm going to jump foreword now so if I missed any questions or challenges you would like me to respond too please repost them.

Or hell if there is a slower moving thread that is more appropriate point me that way. Thanks.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I just skipped 70 pages of this thread. If it doesn't get split into republican and democratic primary threads I'll probably just have to give up.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Caithness posted:

I just skipped 70 pages of this thread. If it doesn't get split into republican and democratic primary threads I'll probably just have to give up.

Yeah, seriously. I couldn't care less about Bernie/Hillary slapfights, bring on the Republican crazy.

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010
So, Scott Walker said he would back out of Obama's bad deal with Iran on day 1 of his presidency. I wonder if anyone will ask him about his hero, Ronald Reagan's deal with Iran.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

knife super power posted:

So, Scott Walker said he would back out of Obama's bad deal with Iran on day 1 of his presidency. I wonder if anyone will ask him about his hero, Ronald Reagan's deal with Iran.

We're giving them cash in exchange for no weapons so it's like the exact opposite of his deal.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pugnax posted:

Bernie Sanders is Daenerys?

Bernie is the Stark family, in that he's not going to loving win.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Nahh, Scott Walker is John Snow.

First because he always had a dumb expression on his face, and second because he knows nothing.

Sadly he does not have a third thing in common with him. Being killed b his own people

you do realise he's going to live, right? A witch who healed a man from being cut in half arrived the day he was stabbed.

Useless Shotgun posted:

Part of me believes that Scott Walker is the result of a terribly botched spell to recreate Reagan and that the sweaty, doughy golem of bad ideas is all we were left with.

Then how was it botched?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How freaked out would republicans be at those photos

So does anyone have any pics from before the lobotomy?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 14, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Wonder if Sandoval will end up on a Veep shortlist now that he's not running for the Senate.

Trump/Sandoval 2016 would be pretty great, albeit not as great as Trump/Martinez.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Caithness posted:

But see, it's crucial we talk about how Hillary is not a real leftist, cause she didn't give up any form of influence she had over a company in a grand pointless gesture no-one would care about and instead tried to changes things she actually could make better. Being practical and getting things actually accomplished are worthless if it means not remaining pure.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Jim Gilmore is my limit for being able to keep track of the Republican field. He makes Pataki seem prominent. I mean, it's just... who is this guy? I never heard a word about him and now he's apparently been running for like a week? Will he get even one vote?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dolash posted:

Jim Gilmore is my limit for being able to keep track of the Republican field. He makes Pataki seem prominent. I mean, it's just... who is this guy? I never heard a word about him and now he's apparently been running for like a week? Will he get even one vote?

I lived in Virginia when he was governor and I can't tell you a loving thing about him. He hated car taxes maybe? I think he hated car taxes.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

But see, it's crucial we talk about how Hillary is not a real leftist, cause she didn't give up any form of influence she had over a company in a grand pointless gesture no-one would care about and instead tried to changes things she actually could make better. Being practical and getting things actually accomplished are worthless if it means not remaining pure.

You're literally doing the thing everyone is complaining about. Right now. You're doing it. Stop it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

OK great Scott, that was great. Now take the Now and Later out of your mouth and let's do another take.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I will go against the grain and say that I appreciate Scott Walker's aethetic values.

His desire is to resemble schlubby middle-management guys everywhere.
Why he wishes to do this is a mystery to me, since pretty much everybody hates their damned supervisor, but there is a certain clarity of purpose there that I can admire.

what I'm getting at is he reminds me of Mr. Cogswell from the Jetsons, but with slightly more hair.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

You're literally doing the thing everyone is complaining about. Right now. You're doing it. Stop it.

How is mocking people for adopting Republican speaking points the same thing as doing it?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

How is mocking people for adopting Republican speaking points the same thing as doing it?

Good lord this is hopeless.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

GalacticAcid posted:

Can't confirm as I wasn't watching the show but she is a reporter for The Daily Beast:

Why can't workers do what Walker did and get themselves a pair of sugar daddies?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

When the AFT endorsed Clinton, I wasn't too shocked to find that their polling showed 67% of Democratic AFT primary voters supported Clinton versus 19% for Sanders.

I was more surprised to see that 59% of AFT members who support Sanders thought Clinton was a more electable candidate. That's pretty bad to see among your own union supporters if you're trying to mount a campaign from the left.

http://www.aft.org/sites/default/files/memo_presidentialsurvey2015.pdf

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The problem with Walker getting the nomination is that the Kochs pledged to spend a billion dollars to get him elected.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Casimir Radon posted:

The problem with Walker getting the nomination is that the Kochs pledged to spend a billion dollars to get him elected.

I don't think all the Koch money in the world could get this dude elected as president.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Cubey posted:

I don't think all the Koch money in the world could get this dude elected as president.

Yeah at the very least, Mitt Romney had a symmetrical face.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Like Obama, you too can shortcut the usual process and just log out.

I guess not-shitposting is not among your plans, then.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Casimir Radon posted:

You'd have more success spending half a billion to elect the other half.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fulchrum posted:

So does anyone have any pics from before the lobotomy?

In order to have a lobotomy, one must first have a frontal lobe and a brain to put it on

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Caithness posted:

I feel like there's plenty of support for this idea right now (I sure as hell am for it) and I haven't really seen anyone speak out against it.

So mods. What say you?

richardfun fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 14, 2015

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I wholeheartedly support having one thread for neverending bullet-pointed ideological hair splitting contests and another one for cool and good current events and entertainment.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So now we have an Iran deal and we have the deal with Cuba wouldn't it be a dangerous gently caress up if a GOP president completely reversed it?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"This is what my mom called her prenatal vitamins"

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Scrub has access to Barqs but goes OJ?

Also can we pay someone to just close the door and drive off? He looks happy, he'll be fine.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Simple man told to guard keg from fraternity pledges and gleefully agrees

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chris Christie is a big dude

We could use another fat president

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I don't even get what this is trying to demonstrate :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So what, close this thread and open two new ones? Make one just for Democrats? Have the new one be for Republicans?

• Locked thread