Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
derra
Dec 29, 2012
I'd stock up on Turtle Shells - Comet can only go so far on offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

derra posted:

I'd stock up on Turtle Shells - Comet can only go so far on offense.

I disagree. It's not the ideal attack spell, but I found it quite handy on my first run up until I got Meteor.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Also a bunch of W2 bosses are susceptible to gravity.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

neongrey posted:

Also a bunch of W2 bosses are susceptible to gravity.

Eh, just Dragon Pod and the Seal Guardians.

Then again, the Seal Guardians are such a roadblock to most runs that I'd posit that them being able to be Graviga'd down into the dirt is noteworthy, yeah.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Maleketh posted:

I disagree. It's not the ideal attack spell, but I found it quite handy on my first run up until I got Meteor.

It's not a bad spell by any means, but it's pretty much his only offense for all of world 2 without turtle shells, and then you'd have to stick Time on everyone as well. I'd much rather have 30-40 shells and Mix on some people.

Along those lines, a few Dark Matter for Death Potions can help a lot as well. I'm sure someone will correct me, but I see the crystals as being a rough fight with that group without Death Potions.

*EDIT* Beaten before the post even went out, ha.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
OK, I put the game down for a while after getting stuck but I really want to push through and see what my fourth job is. I'm at the Sandworm boss with Bard and 3x Beastmaster (guess there's no reason to have more than one bard, as good as they are) and can't beat this thing down. I tried capturing a Dhorme Chimera but can't even get close to getting its health down before it wipes my party effortlessly. Never had any problems with this boss before but this job combination is killing me. Any tips?

Rebelle Winter
Jun 21, 2015
After a much too long break, I decided to finish off world 3 and success!

This is the first year I ever got a Berserker. I can't say it was a pleasant experience to have one. The only upside was tiger bikini Lenna.
(Well, that and trivialising the seal guardians.)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Second run done! This was incredibly easy overall. I had two losses to NED because Catoblepas just would NOT petrify the Almagest part (guess what happens when he fires it off, based on my max HP levels), then I wisely waited a bit before unleashing Odin...and he did, in fact, bounce his Delta Attack onto the vulnerable part :laffo:. Needed only two Elixirs to replenish MP on the non-Hairpin wearers.

Could have chosen a more fitting wearer of the Holy Dress of Style, but whatever. Dancer is not a particularly good or exciting job. I have it maxed on everyone, but am wearing Gold Hairpins x2 and the Geomancer NEEDS to be back-up Summoner (or useless, see in a bit), so Equip Ribbons is a wash. At least I found out at the 11th hour that one piece of Sword Dance equipment is enough (I thought I needed all three for max chance), so at least on person could wear the Ribbon. I dunno how much of a difference it made. 2x 10k damage with the Chicken Knife on the final boss between Summon recasts is absolutely nothing to sneeze at, though. I was happier with this than Chemist, because I am lazy (it was a 750 run), at the very least.

Of course, Summoner is ludicrously broken. Because of Golem, I didn't take a single digit of non-Sap-damage against NED, one Grand Cross instand death (Phoenix laughed) notwithstanding. Except for mass Syldra spam, my most-used Summon was Carbuncle, though, because of:

I never really appreciated just how ridiculously good Black Mages are. Quad-Reflect rod-boosted spells melted bosses up until the very last one, it just never stopped being completely amazing - many of them never got to do anything of worth before this insane assault of sheer numbers. And of course, until you get Carbuncle, you still murder everything with normal -aras (again, Rod-boosted). I broke only one rod (Garula) because the boosted -aras were quite enough at any point until I could do the truly ridiculous poo poo.

I was looking forward to Geomancer because free spells, why not, but sadly, this was a gigantic let-down. !Gaia on Mobile is almost completely worthless because you apparently get Twister 90% of the time, in pretty much any indoors area (aka every dungeon which is not a cave). Which leaves Heavy foes unfazed and misses on too much else, AND in random encounters it doesn't matter if one target dies with the next attack, because the next attack is BM and then Summoner boosted Syldra anyway. Maybe this would be more appreciated in a single-target team, but I don't really see it. There were a few really amusing Cave-In murders, though (it's single-target Meteor, or just about, easily hitting for 6k+ damage in World 1 already). That's about it, though. No problems with damage floors, woo...

I'm done for this year with two normal victories, it was a real blast, but for the next time I think I want a Chaos run or something and I will probably not do that on Mobile...let's see.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ugh, I must've gotten close plinking Omega with self-destructs. Maybe I should grind and try it again...

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Dancer was the only class that could lay down serious damage in my first run this year. The mystic Knight could deal a ton of damage if the enemy was weak to her spellblade but I mostly used her as a heavy healer in the end game. My entire game was basically healing, laying status effects on enemies and hoping my dancer would use sword dance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've been away from home a lot recently and I finally completed my first official run this year.

I thought I was doing really bad until I noticed two segments were dead.

Most of the game was cake after I grinded up to level 45 to kill Sandworm (I was the guy who died 90 times), but I still needed to grind a bit at the end because I ran out of money for Zeninage in the middle of an attempt to kill Neo. :v:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Are the Seal Crystals really vulnerable to instant death? I've had a zerker with Death Scythe banging on them for a while and nothing. :confused:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Capsaicin posted:

Are the Seal Crystals really vulnerable to instant death? I've had a zerker with Death Scythe banging on them for a while and nothing. :confused:
They definitely are.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Capsaicin posted:

Yes, but it has to beat the standard spell hit formula, which against the Seal Guardians, is 3 + your level% hit, with 20% magical evasion to punch through even if you do hit.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Can the aegis shield block meteor/comet?

I had the Main Gauche, Aegis Shield and Elf Cape on my main healer during Exdeath and each one triggered a few times but I'm not 100% sure what they were blocking. My guess is most of the blocks were Vacuum Wave or something like single target Fire 3.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 14, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Idioteque Dance posted:

OK, I put the game down for a while after getting stuck but I really want to push through and see what my fourth job is. I'm at the Sandworm boss with Bard and 3x Beastmaster (guess there's no reason to have more than one bard, as good as they are) and can't beat this thing down. I tried capturing a Dhorme Chimera but can't even get close to getting its health down before it wipes my party effortlessly. Never had any problems with this boss before but this job combination is killing me. Any tips?

You could always put the Bard's !Hide ability on everyone and wait for the chimera to run out of MP so they can't murder you with Aqua Rake. Catch two since I've seen the Sandworm survive one before.

Tobacco Grower
Jun 12, 2005
Ignorance is my power!
Thanks for the advice! I'll grab a fair amount of turtle shells. The most efficient way to do that would be in world one, no? Also: looks like I want to be using turtle soup and succubus kiss mainly; but are there any other useful turtle shell recipes? Bacchus' wine might be nice for berserk without yet having access to nor having to cycle through the wonder wand.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Kyrosiris posted:

Release three Dragon Aevises and do 29997 damage to each piece.

Alternatively, release two and a Crystelle for Shell/Protect/Float. Don't forget to open with the Magic Lamp for Odin to blow the back part away.

Thanks a bunch for this. I am really bad at remembering to use catch/release. I am the worst beastmaster. :downs:

Edit: Also I am assuming that the Aegis shield is better than the Genji Shield?

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 14, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Seravadon posted:

Edit: Also I am assuming that the Aegis shield is better than the Genji Shield?

Unless the only thing you want from your shield is physical evasion, yes.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
Haven't put as much time into this as I had hoped so I am only on world2 but after farming up 30~ dragon fangs from zombie dragons and 40~ turtle shells from world1 I now understand the true beauty of chemists.....Are there better farm spots for dragon fangs anywhere?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Herux posted:

Haven't put as much time into this as I had hoped so I am only on world2 but after farming up 30~ dragon fangs from zombie dragons and 40~ turtle shells from world1 I now understand the true beauty of chemists.....Are there better farm spots for dragon fangs anywhere?

Zombie Dragons are the fastest farm of them. Remember, they're susceptible to dying instantly to a phoenix down (and give 500 gold, so you recoup half the cost).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

The better question is why are you even bothering? If you absolutely need the gil for some reason, use the quicksave glitch to avoid encounters (quicksave every 2-3 steps), but if you're playing the game smartly, you should have plenty of gil throughout, especially when you dump all your old gear and unnecessary pickups at Mirage (and then immediately spend 200k on four pairs of Hermes Sandals).

Does the quicksave glitch work on mobile?

I mainly wanted to see if I could outsmart him. Why do you need float? He cast earthquake when he dies?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Does the quicksave glitch work on mobile?

I mainly wanted to see if I could outsmart him. Why do you need float? He cast earthquake when he dies?

It does not, no.

Also yes, he does, to the tune of about 4000 damage per person.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
The encounter rate just seems low on the zombie dragons, is there a particular spot that has them pop up more often? Also my ninja/blu/time/chemist party is game breakingly fun so when I do triple crown I think I will hope for a much harder team to use.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Herux posted:

The encounter rate just seems low on the zombie dragons, is there a particular spot that has them pop up more often? Also my ninja/blu/time/chemist party is game breakingly fun so when I do triple crown I think I will hope for a much harder team to use.

The room that you drop down to through the hole (the one you have to drop down in order to progress) has a single zombie dragon as the common encounter. That's where I usually farm my fangs.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Victory! My Dragoon was in the air for the killing jump when NED suddenly went bonkers and wiped everyone else out.

Omega was also a complete pushover with this team.

I need to get my Dragoon and Berserker another level each before I can do Shinryu, I think. Lvl 3 flare is ruining my day.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Seravadon posted:

I need to get my Dragoon and Berserker another level each before I can do Shinryu, I think. Lvl 3 flare is ruining my day.

You've got Beastmaster, why not just berserk him? :) Catch a Mammon from the roof of the Void: Castle where you fought Twintania (it's the rare encounter, so quicksave glitch it) and bounce it off someone's reflect ring (probably on the Berserker). For added humiliation, get a Galajelly from the same encounter to release for Rainbow Wind for guaranteed-hit Blind on Shin.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I got Samurai / Dragoon x2 / Dancer for my latest run and I am functionally insane and want the triple crown.

I realize I will have to grind a bunch, but the way I see it is I have 4 ways to hit Omega past his evasion:

Jump with Trident (weak weapon but bypasses defense)
Chicken Knife (or other 95+ attack weapon) Sword Dance (should do damage since Sword Dance doubles A)
Trident Sword Dance
Katana Crit Swords Dance (Sword Dance can crit, crits ignore defense, should do high damage but only 1/8 chance of appearing at most).

Am I understanding these scenarios right? Jump and Sword Dance bypass his evasion, right? I think Trident Sword Dances would do the most consistent damage, but is it high enough to make it worth proccing counters?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

You've got Beastmaster, why not just berserk him? :) Catch a Mammon from the roof of the Void: Castle where you fought Twintania (it's the rare encounter, so quicksave glitch it) and bounce it off someone's reflect ring (probably on the Berserker). For added humiliation, get a Galajelly from the same encounter to release for Rainbow Wind for guaranteed-hit Blind on Shin.

Because I am a bad beastmaster. :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Wait, you can Berserk AND Blind poor Shinryu? Is he just totally boned apart from incredibly unlikely hits? This game has so many bizarre edge cases that I always forget what's weak to X or what has a counter for Y if you do Z :psyduck:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

derra posted:

Am I understanding these scenarios right? Jump and Sword Dance bypass his evasion, right? I think Trident Sword Dances would do the most consistent damage, but is it high enough to make it worth proccing counters?

Yeah, Sword Dance and Jump are both auto-hit (so ignore evade). You've got the advantage of being able to spread out Equip Ribbons if you really need to, as well.

Going over your offensive options, you've got the following:

CK Sword Dance: 104 effective attack power, double M (you can use Carbybot in IRC to compute this)
Trident Jumps: 72 effective attack power, double M
Trident Sword Dance: same as Jumps, but loses Equip Ribbons and thus is less reliable
Murakumo Crit Sword Dances: 20% chance on top of 25% chance, 234 effective attack power, double M

CK sword dancing is probably the most reliable, but the Murakumo dancing would be the most powerful if you can get good streaks running.

You'll definitely need to level into the upper 70s, though, and will need an ocean of elixirs.

Alabaster White posted:

Wait, you can Berserk AND Blind poor Shinryu? Is he just totally boned apart from incredibly unlikely hits? This game has so many bizarre edge cases that I always forget what's weak to X or what has a counter for Y if you do Z :psyduck:

Yep! Blind sets his accuracy to 25%, and you can even further trivialize it with mirage vests, !Image, Blink, etc.

Poor dargon.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Idioteque Dance posted:

Control it, have it use Aqua Rake on itself until it runs out of MP, then hit it once and it should be in Catch range.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, Sword Dance and Jump are both auto-hit (so ignore evade). You've got the advantage of being able to spread out Equip Ribbons if you really need to, as well.

Going over your offensive options, you've got the following:

CK Sword Dance: 104 effective attack power, double M (you can use Carbybot in IRC to compute this)
Trident Jumps: 72 effective attack power, double M
Trident Sword Dance: same as Jumps, but loses Equip Ribbons and thus is less reliable
Murakumo Crit Sword Dances: 20% chance on top of 25% chance, 234 effective attack power, double M

CK sword dancing is probably the most reliable, but the Murakumo dancing would be the most powerful if you can get good streaks running.

You'll definitely need to level into the upper 70s, though, and will need an ocean of elixirs.

Yep! Blind sets his accuracy to 25%, and you can even further trivialize it with mirage vests, !Image, Blink, etc.

Poor dargon.

Thanks for looking this over. I've killed Omega with no good defensive options before beyond equip ribbons, but at least I had Wonder Wand Shell to better my odds against Encircle and Rapid Fire for consistent offense.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Poor Dargon.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Does Dispel (as cast by W2 Exdeath) remove Drinks/Mixes?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

OzFactor posted:

I think it only removes the usual effects, like Haste, Shell, etc. I don't think it dispels the level boost and immunity kinda stuff.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Specifically, Dispel removes:

Float, Blink (any number of images), Berserk, Regen, Slow, Haste, Stop, Shell, Protect, Reflect

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I spent a couple hours trying to crack Omega, getting Floated by Gaelicats, etc. Trident+Sword Dance can do 5700 damage but I couldn't survive long enough to land it 10+ times.

The Shinryu fight was loving intense. I only had two Dragon Lances, but was able to take off a huge chunk of his health before he Mighty Guard'd up. Then I just got exceedingly lucky.

Got lucky again with NED, landing two Sword Dances in a row on the Almagest part and wiping it before it got an attack off. The final blow to the last part came via Jitterbug, which I found hilarious.

New run is Monk | White | Berserker | Summoner

The tough part here was making it to the Earth Crystal. Actually used two Berserkers for a while. Best passive for this Berserker going to be Counter or !White for out-of-battle healing?

Mustard Iceman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 14, 2015

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

OzFactor posted:

Nothing can erase the stat-changing boosts from Mixes or Songs, except other stat-changing actions. You can test it with Goliath Tonic to see for yourself. This is especially annoying when you get repeatedly Dark Shocked or Discorded with no way to remove it. It's why Byblos is such a pain in the rear end with Monks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
Mobile version world2 gilgamesh+enkidu...If i want to learn white wind what is my best bet of landing charm/confuse nin/blu/time/chemist. I have tried 3 mixes but they don't seem to stick.

• Locked thread