Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Is not power squatting, beefy legs, my kind of Marine asskicker. Nice job on making your own Chapter, too.

I wish I could take credit for that but no, that's actually the Death Guard color scheme before they went all 'rot, vomit and pus'.

It is a really cool scheme, though! Did you see the one with the finished base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Heyho,

Does anyone have any suggestions for giving objects an enchanted or magical look? Preferably metal objects?

I'm trying to avoid the cartoon garishness of OSL, but I want to give a object, in this case a shield, a slight subtle other-worldly air.

Many thanks.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Heyho,

Does anyone have any suggestions for giving objects an enchanted or magical look? Preferably metal objects?

I'm trying to avoid the cartoon garishness of OSL, but I want to give a object, in this case a shield, a slight subtle other-worldly air.

Many thanks.

A colored glaze and a light drybrush with a bright silvery color (like the old Mithril SIlver/Runefang Steel paint) can give you a relatively fast and easy 'shimmery' effect.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Generally, adding in glazes of turquoises, teals, and/or purples will give a subtle magical or otherworldly feel.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Thanks folks, I'll give that a shot, maybe some slight white highlights. Would your answers change if I told you the shield was gold?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Would your answers change if I told you the shield was gold?

Add more green and teal.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
It's so obvious. Yeah a light teal glaze and some nihilakh oxide in the recesses will probably work wonders.

Thankyou everyone.

Actually here's the mini in question.

The blocking of the main armour is actually lead belcher with a brass scorpion and mithril dry brush then a mithril highlight. Once that was down I started laying on a wash mixture of earthshade and I think, auric gold. Took 3 applications but i'm quite happy with the metal shade.

The shield on the other hand was just straight up auric and scorpion mix washed with easrthshade. I wanted a different colour between the two so the majority of the mini wasn't taken up by a single shade.

I will probably take a third stab at another technique for the sword hilt.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any of you need have a magic recipe for thinning paint in an airbrush? I've been having pretty big clogging issues and can't quite figure out what the problem is. Lately I've been thinking with airbrush medium but have heard doing retarder might help out as well.

Also been having issues spraying varnish, but I have done a pretty consistent job cleaning it afterwards as spraying water through it afterwards works perfectly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

w00tmonger posted:

Any of you need have a magic recipe for thinning paint in an airbrush? I've been having pretty big clogging issues and can't quite figure out what the problem is. Lately I've been thinking with airbrush medium but have heard doing retarder might help out as well.

Also been having issues spraying varnish, but I have done a pretty consistent job cleaning it afterwards as spraying water through it afterwards works perfectly.

I'd like this as well, so far my solution is just to use airbrush paint.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I use Les Bursley's thinner recipe (which is water, flow aid and drying retarder I think), water and airbrush thinner/cleaner to thin various brands of paints. What you're using to thin isn't as important as getting the viscosity right for the needle size and air pressure you're using. At higher pressures (35+ psi) and larger needle sizes (0.4 or 0.5mm) you don't need to thin as much but as you lower the air pressure to 20 psi or less or smaller needle sizes you'll need to add whatever type of thinner you're using. When you're spraying at 10psi or even 5psi you may be thinning it down as much so you're spraying 10% paint and 90% thinner. The different brands vary and even colors within the brands will vary in viscosity, I spray straight out of the bottle at most about half the time.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Jesus Christ, eyes are hard to paint. It doesn't help when depth perception seems to be actively loving with me. Try to paint white next to the pupil? Nope, eyebrow!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

An Angry Bug posted:

Jesus Christ, eyes are hard to paint. It doesn't help when depth perception seems to be actively loving with me. Try to paint white next to the pupil? Nope, eyebrow!

Layer order is what solves this problem, isn't it?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

An Angry Bug posted:

1. 2 dots of white, 1 dot black. If you can't paint eyes this is the easiest methid, don't paint a line of white you'll cover with the pupil anyway because lines are much easier to gently caress up than dots. Also, use a bigger brush with a very good point. It gives you more comfort space as you don't have to dot rioght now or your paint will dry.
2. Close one eye, move brush directly away from self, use the distance of brush and it's shadow to gauge when to stop pushing. hosed up depth perception is worse than no depth perception.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Paint the eye black, dot in the corners in white. You might find it easier to hold the miniature upside down to paint the opposite eye.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

SRM posted:

Paint the eye black, dot in the corners in white.
That's what I'm trying to do, but the brush tip is hitting the eyebrows instead of the eyes. I've got one eye that sort of overrides the other in terms of how my brain processes things, so that might be part of it.

Pierzak posted:

1. 2 dots of white, 1 dot black. If you can't paint eyes this is the easiest methid, don't paint a line of white you'll cover with the pupil anyway because lines are much easier to gently caress up than dots. Also, use a bigger brush with a very good point. It gives you more comfort space as you don't have to dot rioght now or your paint will dry.
2. Close one eye, move brush directly away from self, use the distance of brush and it's shadow to gauge when to stop pushing. hosed up depth perception is worse than no depth perception.

SRM posted:

You might find it easier to hold the miniature upside down to paint the opposite eye.

Will try this and report back.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I've found that I'm most comfortable doing a basecoat of the skin color, then a big old blob of white, slightly less big blob of black in the middle, and then cleaning up the edge with the skin tone. It helps avoid crazy beady eyes with tiny irises or the weird elongated irises you can get by doing two dots of white after the black. Also lately I've been laying down a layer of black first before the white in order to outline the eyes, and varying the thickness of the outline depending on whether you want a more masculine or feminine look, and have been really pleased with that effect. The downside to all of this is that you probably want to shade the skin of the face after the fact, so you've got to be a little more careful when doing that.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

krushgroove posted:

I use Les Bursley's thinner recipe (which is water, flow aid and drying retarder I think), water and airbrush thinner/cleaner to thin various brands of paints. What you're using to thin isn't as important as getting the viscosity right for the needle size and air pressure you're using. At higher pressures (35+ psi) and larger needle sizes (0.4 or 0.5mm) you don't need to thin as much but as you lower the air pressure to 20 psi or less or smaller needle sizes you'll need to add whatever type of thinner you're using. When you're spraying at 10psi or even 5psi you may be thinning it down as much so you're spraying 10% paint and 90% thinner. The different brands vary and even colors within the brands will vary in viscosity, I spray straight out of the bottle at most about half the time.

wheat psi should I be doing? Ive been at about 40-45

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

w00tmonger posted:

wheat psi should I be doing? Ive been at about 40-45

At 25+ you'll have lots of overspray, so I hope you have a spray booth and mask (which you should use anyway, but with that much atomized paint swirling around it's even more important). I spray primer and basecoats at around 20-25psi (and many people will say that's too high for them), if I need to get into a tight spot without getting loads of paint collected up (like under an arm or tank skirt) I might thin the paint down and drop the pressure a bit. For most work like the red models I posted recently, which didn't require color gradients, I do the basecoats at the same pressure but for a higher quality model if I'm putting down lots of light coats with multiple colors to get a lot of color gradients I'll go down to 10psi or so.

Also, I do test shots of color on the back of my glove or a piece of plastic, not paper, because the paper or cardboard will soak up the paint due to its porous nature.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

cool. at 25psi'ish should I be aiming for a certain ratio to thin it. Ive always been going for a milk consistency

edit: matte medium, flow aid, and water?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKJUrISnTo

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 14, 2015

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

w00tmonger posted:

cool. at 25psi'ish should I be aiming for a certain ratio to thin it. Ive always been going for a milk consistency

You probably want to be slightly thinner than milk. You could buy some of the specific airbrush paints, drop them as is and or compare with what you're thinning to.

I just started the airbrush thing and I went and bought my blocking colors in the air brush version of my paint range to avoid having to thin large batches of paint.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Anyone know where I can get oval bases like these?

these specifically:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

w00tmonger posted:

edit: matte medium, flow aid, and water?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKJUrISnTo
That's the one!

Super 3 posted:

You probably want to be slightly thinner than milk. You could buy some of the specific airbrush paints, drop them as is and or compare with what you're thinning to.
The airbrush paints are still just a starting point - that can be thinned like anything else and if you’re spraying super fine detail at 5psi you'll want it much thinner than it comes out of the bottle.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Anyone know where I can get oval bases like these?

these specifically:

I'm sure the various mdf base & building people will have some in that size & shape, I haven't looked for those myself but Oath Thread sponsor The Troll Trader is one place to check, if you're in the UK.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Drake_263 posted:

A colored glaze and a light drybrush with a bright silvery color (like the old Mithril SIlver/Runefang Steel paint) can give you a relatively fast and easy 'shimmery' effect.

Would that be on top of a metallic basecoat of some sort? I'm going to be painting Grey Knight power weapons. I finally got a good airbrush, but doing the usual fades just seems boring now :D

On that topic, I finally finished building my Centurion to Dreadnought conversion:

Weapons - Dual lascannon and old-school missile launcher:

The thing has a lot of of Rogue Trader Era dreadnought DNA in it, as I unironically LOVED those things when they came out. I can objectively see they look goofy now, but man.. what can you do?
Upper body is attached by a magnet and comes off for painting.
Waist is obviously hugely inspired by this the Graven Games Cain conversion
Pistons are from Zinge.

It doesn't look quite as sharp as I wanted it, but I'm calling it done as it's part of a ETL commitment on B&C.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I have liquitex airbrush medium at home so Im going to have a go with that.

Ended up picking up this Golden Airbrush transparent extender which looks like it could be amazing. Its supposed to help flow etc and stop it from drying on the tip. Looks like a good generalist airbrush additive so Ill have to see how it goes.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

HardCoil posted:

Would that be on top of a metallic basecoat of some sort? I'm going to be painting Grey Knight power weapons. I finally got a good airbrush, but doing the usual fades just seems boring now :D

On that topic, I finally finished building my Centurion to Dreadnought conversion:

Weapons - Dual lascannon and old-school missile launcher:

The thing has a lot of of Rogue Trader Era dreadnought DNA in it, as I unironically LOVED those things when they came out. I can objectively see they look goofy now, but man.. what can you do?
Upper body is attached by a magnet and comes off for painting.
Waist is obviously hugely inspired by this the Graven Games Cain conversion
Pistons are from Zinge.

It doesn't look quite as sharp as I wanted it, but I'm calling it done as it's part of a ETL commitment on B&C.

That is some great sculpting work, man. I love the little details like the fittings on the arm sockets and the REGIS on the front of the chest.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Thanks, it's supposed to say "AEGIS" though :unsmith:
The shoulder bits are actually a greenstuff cast from a Dreamforge Leviathan. No way I would be able to do two of those from scratch. That's really the hardest part of stuff like this, to keep things nice an symmetrical.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Any advice for making lovely phone pics of a game in progress come out less lovely? I know how to do the basic lightbox and white balancing stuff at home, but I don't bring a lightbox and an actual camera with me to the store when playing.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Try to get nice, even lighting. I'm not sure there's much else to it than that, assuming you want to just take pictures with your phone camera. You really have to find the sweet spot for whatever place you're playing in, because different set-ups require different amounts of light, but in general you want slightly more than most people would agree is "enough" for not taking pictures.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PantsOptional posted:

Any advice for making lovely phone pics of a game in progress come out less lovely? I know how to do the basic lightbox and white balancing stuff at home, but I don't bring a lightbox and an actual camera with me to the store when playing.

Your best bet is an actual camera, because a phone one isn't going to cut it--especially at that store's lighting (which is shiiiiiit).

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Having some problems with my airbrush and I want to try and set myself up for success.
I'm using Vallejo surface primer in the thing to prime some models but can't seem to get good for out of the thing. Based on searching online, I've switched up a size to my 0.5mm needle, and have tried everything from not diluting it, to a mainly thinned mixture.

I've been thinking with a combination of liquitex airbrush medium and golden airbrush transparent extender. I tried 25psi and worked up to 35 (based on searching the internet). Anyone have experience with surface primer that could put me on the right track. I have a suspicion none of this is going to be a problem once I go to actual paint down the road. Running cleaner through the brush seems to flow perfectly so I don't think it's a clog out anything.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Gravity or siphon feed?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

HardCoil posted:

Ownage RT style Dreadnought
I'm gonna admit, I wasn't sure when you first posted this guy under construction. At this point though, I think this big lug looks great! Nice mix of new and old aesthetics. I think what really put me over the edge was the old school missile launcher. What do you have in mind for a paint scheme?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

JackMann posted:

That is some great sculpting work, man. I love the little details like the fittings on the arm sockets and the REGIS on the front of the chest.

But seriously that is an amazing model and I can't wait to see it painted.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

I wish I could take credit for that but no, that's actually the Death Guard color scheme before they went all 'rot, vomit and pus'.

It is a really cool scheme, though! Did you see the one with the finished base?

Ahh, there was enough of your own touches I didn't recognize it. I was on the fence about how it looked until it was finished, (something I fret about when painting) the final result is quite good.

The base is ace, too. Any particular trick to getting grass that tall to stick up, drilled a hole and stuffed the grass in?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

w00tmonger posted:

Having some problems with my airbrush and I want to try and set myself up for success.
I'm using Vallejo surface primer in the thing to prime some models but can't seem to get good for out of the thing. Based on searching online, I've switched up a size to my 0.5mm needle, and have tried everything from not diluting it, to a mainly thinned mixture.

I've been thinking with a combination of liquitex airbrush medium and golden airbrush transparent extender. I tried 25psi and worked up to 35 (based on searching the internet). Anyone have experience with surface primer that could put me on the right track. I have a suspicion none of this is going to be a problem once I go to actual paint down the road. Running cleaner through the brush seems to flow perfectly so I don't think it's a clog out anything.

Do you mean 'good force' in the bit I bolded? You probably have a clog somewhere, especially if you have let paint dry in it even for a few minutes. Take the nozzle holder and nozzle off, take the needle out and give it a good clean with airbrush thinner (actual airbrush thinner that dissolves paint a little, not homemade thinner like Les's recipe) and a paper towel. Reassemble and test with water or thinner first. Listen to make sure there's no hesitation to the spraying. If that works OK try it with very thinned down paint, just a couple of drops. Clean it out and repeat with very slightly thicker paint, repeat, repeat.

If you get anything but clean, steady stream of water/thinner in the first test, you still have a dirty nozzle (most likely) or needle, give them a good clean, even let them sit in a small glass jar with cellulose thinners to completely eat away the paint, then scrub it out with a plastic bristle brush and flush with water and test again.

Part of airbrushing is maintaining the cleanliness of your equipment, this first step is one of the things that can kill the enthusiasm of having an airbrush pretty quickly but if you can keep your airbrush clean and maintained you'll be fine and encouraged to keep practicing.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I figured I would crosspost my 6mm KoW army I put up in the Mantic thread. While not the best pictures they are better than the ones I took on my cellphone a year ago.

Here is the full album which also shows some of the terrain and the felt mat I made to go with them. http://imgur.com/a/bda12

This was my first ever attempt at 6mm.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Do you mean 'good force' in the bit I bolded? You probably have a clog somewhere, especially if you have let paint dry in it even for a few minutes. Take the nozzle holder and nozzle off, take the needle out and give it a good clean with airbrush thinner (actual airbrush thinner that dissolves paint a little, not homemade thinner like Les's recipe) and a paper towel. Reassemble and test with water or thinner first. Listen to make sure there's no hesitation to the spraying. If that works OK try it with very thinned down paint, just a couple of drops. Clean it out and repeat with very slightly thicker paint, repeat, repeat.

If you get anything but clean, steady stream of water/thinner in the first test, you still have a dirty nozzle (most likely) or needle, give them a good clean, even let them sit in a small glass jar with cellulose thinners to completely eat away the paint, then scrub it out with a plastic bristle brush and flush with water and test again.

Part of airbrushing is maintaining the cleanliness of your equipment, this first step is one of the things that can kill the enthusiasm of having an airbrush pretty quickly but if you can keep your airbrush clean and maintained you'll be fine and encouraged to keep practicing.

Pretty meticulous about cleaning the thing but I like the idea of starting with thinner and slowly making the paint thicker. Seems like the most fool proof way to go.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

HardCoil posted:

Thanks, it's supposed to say "AEGIS" though :unsmith:
The shoulder bits are actually a greenstuff cast from a Dreamforge Leviathan. No way I would be able to do two of those from scratch. That's really the hardest part of stuff like this, to keep things nice an symmetrical.

That dread is awesome and is what the Dreadknight should have looked like.

Also you should go with Regis :D

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

SRM posted:

I'm gonna admit, I wasn't sure when you first posted this guy under construction. At this point though, I think this big lug looks great! Nice mix of new and old aesthetics. I think what really put me over the edge was the old school missile launcher. What do you have in mind for a paint scheme?

Grey Knights so ... mainly grey :v:
Honestly I wasn't sure about it myself, but sometimes you just gotta go with those crazy ideas and see where they lead. I certainly learned a lot.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys :)

w00tmonger posted:

Weird, I'm using it straight in mine without thinning, with a .2 (I think, the SOTAR Fine) needle without issues. What kind of aibrush are you using? I had a LOT of issues with my ultra cheap china airbrush, both in terms of usage and cleaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

HardCoil posted:

Weird, I'm using it straight in mine without thinning, with a .2 (I think, the SOTAR Fine) needle without issues. What kind of aibrush are you using? I had a LOT of issues with my ultra cheap china airbrush, both in terms of usage and cleaning.

Its some gravity feed master airbrush. Mid-end to my knowledge. I mean, everything I found online was saying no thinning as well. Not really familiar enough with airbrushes to diagnose it...