Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best <$30 gaming mouse that doesn't look like a prop from Batman Forever?

Also a secondary question: Is there a wireless mouse/keyboard that doesn't have lag?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Anonononomous posted:

Is there some secret to get good Logitech support? My left button broke on my G9 and all I got from multiple phone calls and emails was being told to unplug it and replug it in. I fixed it myself eventually, but I dread the day I can't do that.

I had good support both times. First time, my old MX518 broke and they gave me a 50% discount on my next mouse off their store. Second time, with a G600, they sent me a new one for free after running through the usual troubleshooting stuff.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Just a heads-up, the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex is on sale at Best Buy for $30, which is a hella good deal. I snagged one because I'm having some middle click buttons with my Corsair M65 and am using that+this sale as an excuse to switch to a lighter mouse.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

glomkettle posted:

Just a heads-up, the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex is on sale at Best Buy for $30, which is a hella good deal. I snagged one because I'm having some middle click buttons with my Corsair M65 and am using that+this sale as an excuse to switch to a lighter mouse.

This may be the worst product preview image I've ever seen.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Slowhanded posted:

This may be the worst product preview image I've ever seen.

I didn't really do more than glance at it since I'd already researched the mouse elsewhere but drat, you're right. It looks like it's posing to show off its butt.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Wireless gaming performance requires a pretty expensive and sensitive receiver/transmitter, otherwise you're hit with massive latency and not that great of performance. So, no, AFAIK. The closest you're likely to find is the G602, which isn't exactly no-frills but isn't too expensive.

I don't care about gaming performance, the Sensei just fits what I want looks wise and is a simple mouse. I write code and browse the internet.
I've had a Logitech G5 for years and I am so sick of the wire.

The M560 looks close to what I want but it's meant for Windows and takes fuckery to have work properly on OSX.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 6, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't care about gaming performance, the Sensei just fits what I want looks wise and is a simple mouse. I write code and browse the internet.
I've had a Logitech G5 for years and I am so sick of the wire.

The M560 looks close to what I want but it's meant for Windows and takes fuckery to have work properly on OSX.

Oh, sorry, I assumed you were talking about gaming mice, since you were referencing a gaming mouse in the gaming mouse thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-...=wireless+mouse

Khorne
May 1, 2002

smoobles posted:

What's the best <$30 gaming mouse that doesn't look like a prop from Batman Forever?
CM Storm Xornet is $20 and decent. It could pass for a batman forever prop if you use your imagination, but it is also a mouse you could use at work without feeling shame. The logitech g100s is decent too and you can get refurbs for $15.

quote:

Also a secondary question: Is there a wireless mouse/keyboard that doesn't have lag?
They all have batteries so who cares about lag when you have to deal with that annoyance. A bunch of people like wireless stuff for some reason so you might get some better replies than that. But there is inherent latency in being wireless.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 7, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
There definitely isn't any type of lag that I can notice on the G602 and battery life is very good (have had the same set of rechargeables in for months now)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Logitech is now Logi: http://gizmodo.com/logitech-is-changing-its-name-to-logi-because-tech-me-1716336406

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

This is about as sane as Corsair changing it's brand image last year. :bang:

Logi: a unit of poo. :magical:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
John Logi Baird

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So my trusty old G5 is finally on its way out. I see that Logitech in their infinite wisdom doesn't make the MX style of mouse anymore. The newest one I can find is the G400s. Is that worth picking up? I know the G502 is their latest thing but it looks so dumb. Is the G402 a good compromise?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 9, 2015

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So my trusty old G5 is finally on its way out. I see that Logitech in their infinite wisdom doesn't make the MX style of mouse anymore. The newest one I can find is the G400s. Is that worth picking up? I know the G502 is their latest thing but it looks so dumb. Is the G402 a good compromise?
Huh? They released the MX Master fairly recently, unless you mean something different.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Deadly Hume posted:

Huh? They released the MX Master fairly recently, unless you mean something different.

He means the MX518 style mouse which was the same shell shape as the G400 then G400S.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

According to most people the g402 is the successor to the mx518 shape. I just compared them and they seem very similar but the g402 is a bit lower.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hello bland generic tech bubel brand name that nobody associates with anything.

quote:

“Tech is everywhere,” says Logitech’s VP of brand development Charlotte Johs, a big “L-O-G-I” comically emblazened on the silk screen behind her. “Tech is in the air you breathe...it’s in your clothes...in the future, ‘tech’ doesn’t say anything,” she tells me.

Kill all marketing people and their flowery but ultimately empty language.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I mean LOGI sounds like something you'd buy at Ikea

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hope with this rebranding they try to drastically pivot and go from catering towards hackerz elite gaming types to earthy, mellow, mice and peripherals targeting Gwyneth Paltro types. I dont want them to actually change the mice, just think it'd be funny to see that type of marketing.

Pre-programmed pinterest posting button! Maximum DPI toggle switch for activating yoga groupons!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I hope with this rebranding they try to drastically pivot and go from catering towards hackerz elite gaming types to earthy, mellow, mice and peripherals targeting Gwyneth Paltro types. I dont want them to actually change the mice, just think it'd be funny to see that type of marketing.

Pre-programmed pinterest posting button! Maximum DPI toggle switch for activating yoga groupons!

Actually, I wouldn't mind gaming mice getting less gamery at all

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

The Deadly Hume posted:

I mean LOGI sounds like something you'd buy at Ikea

My first thought was "hockin' a logi"

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
This brand change has no bearing on gaming products at all except for changing the shape of the G in Logitech G.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Goo posted:

This brand change has no bearing on gaming products at all except for changing the shape of the G in Logitech G.

still gonna be "Logicool" in Japan?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

"Tech is everywhere"

Then why can't I think of any other company with tech in the name that is of any relevance to anything I do?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The Gwenyth Paltrow types all own MacBooks and have no interest in a $50+ mouse.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

duckfarts posted:

still gonna be "Logicool" in Japan?
Yes.

Of course, that's what I'm being told right now (and that's the message we're relaying to people) but I don't make decisions so it's subject to change 2, 3, 4 years down the road.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
Just a few e-mails back and forth and digging up an old receipt and I have another G600 coming my way because of Logitech's support. If the LMB starts acting up again I'll probably have to buy a new one because that 3-year warranty is almost up.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hock a logi

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Goo posted:

Mods please change Goo's G to reflect current branding guidelines.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Even though its pretty lolgaming, I like the "old" Gaming G logo over the new Logi G, so it seems I bought my mouse at the right time

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Using a G700S right now, the right click is dying after about a year of use. I got it free from Logitech a few months after the right click was dying on my G700. I don't need a wireless or even a hybrid mouse anymore, so I'm looking at wired mice, and the selection seems... weak? I enjoy the 4 thumb buttons of the G700 on the side and use them a ton, but everything else is whatever, including dpi switches and etc.

It seems like most mice offer either 2 side mouse buttons, or a loving old school telephone pad when it comes to thumb controls.

Any good recommendations for mice that'll have both ~4 thumb buttons, and a durable right/left click? I can settle for two buttons if I can get assurances that it'll have durable clickers or get covered under warranty; Steelseries had a mouse I was looking at but it looks like they only cover manufacturing defects in their warranty, whereas Logitech's support for me has always be "your mouse is dead?? okay what's your address for a new one"

Not in a big rush to buy if there's no sales or good options, but getting it before Diablo 3's next patch that'll probably be some time in the next month or two would be nice.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

anyone here used the logitech g602? my g5 is slowly dying; the dpi buttons are gradually flaking out, the drivers haven't worked for years, every time I look at the weird scaly texture I think of the ease that grime just gets lodged in there etc. i don't game much anymore and when I do it's not professional monster energy imbibing, gamer food guzzling high stakes counter strike matches so i really don't give a poo poo about borderline imperceptible latency or sensor acceleration. what i don't like about the g5 is the wire, the kind of teetering scroll wheel that moves side to side, and the kinda mushy feeling side buttons (relative to the main buttons). also the amazingly bad dpi switch buttons which feel like they were improperly assembled.

i was looking at the mx master because the sideways scrollwhell intrigued me and it looks nice (no neon crap) and is fairly versatile. issue is it's like twice the price of the g602 (which is a similar shape and doesn't look too bad) and doesn't have any removable batteries (which for environmental and economic reasons are a plus). also the side buttons on the master look kind of tiny and crappy, and while I don't particularly want or need 6 of them i'm sure I can find a use.

so yeah anyone got one of these? are they decent? what's the battery life like? do the side buttons feel nice? tia :)

oh yeah and is the mac support any good (as in does it work?)

e:gravitating towards the mx master tbh; i'm ok with spending a little extra and the shape looks nicer.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 13, 2015

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I have been using an m705 from logitech for a while and wanted to see if there was anything newer and better. Bestbuy has it on sale for $22 and I wanted to get a spare for my laptop. It has 1 extra thumb button and can switch between normal scrolling and really fast scrolling. Batteries last 6+ months.

I used the g602 for a while but it is pretty big and I didn't really need the extra buttons and went back to the g705 marathon. The dpi switch is nice if you are using it on a laptop connected to a projector. You can use it with just 1 battery. (2) Batteries lasted at least a month but i'm not sure if that was in green mode or blue mode or what the difference was. The receiver is not the same as the rest of the brand.

With something like the MX Master is the tracking any better in day to day use? Does the thumb scroll wheel seem useful, or the adaptive scrolling?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'm using a G602 and the only thing I'd complain about is the dpi adjust buttons feel cheap and wobbly.

The batteries it came with lasted months, and I haven't had to recharge the Eneloops I replaced them with yet sobo wouldn't worry about that.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Generic Monk posted:

anyone here used the logitech g602? my g5 is slowly dying; the dpi buttons are gradually flaking out, the drivers haven't worked for years, every time I look at the weird scaly texture I think of the ease that grime just gets lodged in there etc. i don't game much anymore and when I do it's not professional monster energy imbibing, gamer food guzzling high stakes counter strike matches so i really don't give a poo poo about borderline imperceptible latency or sensor acceleration. what i don't like about the g5 is the wire, the kind of teetering scroll wheel that moves side to side, and the kinda mushy feeling side buttons (relative to the main buttons). also the amazingly bad dpi switch buttons which feel like they were improperly assembled.

i was looking at the mx master because the sideways scrollwhell intrigued me and it looks nice (no neon crap) and is fairly versatile. issue is it's like twice the price of the g602 (which is a similar shape and doesn't look too bad) and doesn't have any removable batteries (which for environmental and economic reasons are a plus). also the side buttons on the master look kind of tiny and crappy, and while I don't particularly want or need 6 of them i'm sure I can find a use.

so yeah anyone got one of these? are they decent? what's the battery life like? do the side buttons feel nice? tia :)

oh yeah and is the mac support any good (as in does it work?)

e:gravitating towards the mx master tbh; i'm ok with spending a little extra and the shape looks nicer.

I upgraded from the Performance MX to the MX Master. One weird thing about the MX Master is that it uses its own separate software, Logitech Options, and not the standard SetPoint or Logitech Gaming Software.

The side buttons are a little small, but they're easier to reach than on the Performance MX, where you have to kind of reach forward to hit the forward/mouse5 button.

I use the side wheel to switch tabs in Chrome, but it can be a little finicky. I think I just need to adjust the sensitivity a bit, since sometimes I still accidentally don't switch a tab, or switch two tabs instead of one.

Haven't had it long enough to really say anything about battery life, but based on the G602 that I use at home, I'm not too worried.

I really like how they went back to having the auto-mode switching mouse wheel, where you give it a flick and it goes into free spinning mode. Having to press a button to switch modes on the Performance MX was kind of annoying.

The gesture button is nice if you're working on a laptop or single monitor and need to adjust window sizes a lot, like to put two things side by side. I switched mine to be the button below the mouse wheel, since I got used to the thumb rest button being my close tab button on the Performance MX.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

dissss posted:

I'm using a G602 and the only thing I'd complain about is the dpi adjust buttons feel cheap and wobbly.

The batteries it came with lasted months, and I haven't had to recharge the Eneloops I replaced them with yet sobo wouldn't worry about that.

You obviously don't use the side buttons that much. The pointed hard plastic pointed edge shape they've gone for with the buttons is horrendous to use and has me looking at a different mouse to buy just due to the amount of discomfort I get after using them for a while.

If you don't use the side buttons the mouse is fantastic for battery life (especially coming from the 702 with its disappointing battery life), but the side buttons are a deal breaker for any extended session.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tornhelm posted:

You obviously don't use the side buttons that much. The pointed hard plastic pointed edge shape they've gone for with the buttons is horrendous to use and has me looking at a different mouse to buy just due to the amount of discomfort I get after using them for a while.

If you don't use the side buttons the mouse is fantastic for battery life (especially coming from the 702 with its disappointing battery life), but the side buttons are a deal breaker for any extended session.

I have to agree about the ergonomics. I thought I'd use them a lot more, to be honest.

From messing around at Best Buy, I actually think the G502 would fit my hand a lot better, but wireless is a deal breaker for me (I travel for work). I wish Logitech would make wired and wireless mice with the exact same body.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Minrad posted:

Using a G700S right now, the right click is dying after about a year of use. I got it free from Logitech a few months after the right click was dying on my G700. I don't need a wireless or even a hybrid mouse anymore, so I'm looking at wired mice, and the selection seems... weak? I enjoy the 4 thumb buttons of the G700 on the side and use them a ton, but everything else is whatever, including dpi switches and etc.

It seems like most mice offer either 2 side mouse buttons, or a loving old school telephone pad when it comes to thumb controls.

Any good recommendations for mice that'll have both ~4 thumb buttons, and a durable right/left click? I can settle for two buttons if I can get assurances that it'll have durable clickers or get covered under warranty; Steelseries had a mouse I was looking at but it looks like they only cover manufacturing defects in their warranty, whereas Logitech's support for me has always be "your mouse is dead?? okay what's your address for a new one"

Not in a big rush to buy if there's no sales or good options, but getting it before Diablo 3's next patch that'll probably be some time in the next month or two would be nice.

I think you can kind of remap the extra buttons on the g402/g502 from logitech, although playing with it for a minute it seems incredibly annoying to remap the keys to something that can be bound easily. It does have built in macro function though. There's also the Naga Hex, its the same mouse you linked but it has 6 buttons in a circle instead of 12 in a keypad.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My Razer Salmosa, purchased for $13 off of Woot 6 years ago, has finally died of a loose scroll wheel. Unfortunately, I don't think they manufacture them anymore. Is there a similar bare-bones, comfortable and effective gaming mouse on the market in the $20-30 range these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Not a Children posted:

My Razer Salmosa, purchased for $13 off of Woot 6 years ago, has finally died of a loose scroll wheel. Unfortunately, I don't think they manufacture them anymore. Is there a similar bare-bones, comfortable and effective gaming mouse on the market in the $20-30 range these days?

Logitech G100s