Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BloodBag posted:

There are two clutches between the rms and input shaft on concentric shafts. The o ring between them leaks transmission oil onto the clutches and then they shudder. They replace the clutches, clean the flywheel and replace the seals then recalibrate the clutch drivers.takes three days and they usually have one guy and that's all he does.

Seal leaks at ~18k miles? :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Enourmo posted:

Seal leaks at ~18k miles? :wtc:

Mine did it from like day one. I thought it's just how they drove until I looked it up on focus fanatics and saw there were all kinds of TSBs about it. Had mine done at 30K miles and the clutches worked great for about 5 months and they were all hosed up for one commute and then went back to normal. I don't know. I sold it and bought a manual miata.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

kimbo305 posted:

What's surprising about a PDK-derived manual gearbox being worse than the real PDK? You're going from perfect shifting to the best shifting you can do.

He's saying (and I've read the same thing) that the PDK derived manuals feel worse than the purposely designed manuals of yesteryear.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Ziploc posted:

He's saying (and I've read the same thing) that the PDK derived manuals feel worse than the purposely designed manuals of yesteryear.

Correct. And it's sad because they still have the very very good 6 speed in the 981 Cayman (carried over from the 9x7 generation).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Is there any chance the new Jeep Renegade is worth a poo poo? I've heard a lot about it being a Fiat product, but I like the stripped base model with a manual.

Reliability is a pretty big deal to me (biggest deal), so the word "Jeep" makes me quiver.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Every review I've watched the reviewers have loved the Renegade. I don't know what its reliability is though.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The only significant issue with the Renegade I've heard is that the programming for the 8 9-speed automatic is still as problematic as all the other Jeeps using that transmission. All the more reason to get the manual which also comes with the 1.4L turbo.

EDIT: That is the same transmission that's been plaguing the Cherokee. After almost 11 months into Motor Trend's Long-Term Road Test, their Trailhawk is already looking at a third transmission software update.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 15, 2015

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
The 8 speed in my SRT is terrific and at least as good at the DCT I had in the S4 so there are some with good programming. I bet the 5.7 is also good with the 8 speed since the transmission doesn't have to work as hard to make up for the engine's limits.

edit: the Renegade apparently uses the 9 speed so all bets are off

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Jymmybob posted:

The 8 speed in my SRT is terrific and at least as good at the DCT I had in the S4 so there are some with good programming. I bet the 5.7 is also good with the 8 speed since the transmission doesn't have to work as hard to make up for the engine's limits.

edit: the Renegade apparently uses the 9 speed so all bets are off
The ZF 8A is good.
The ZF 9A is dogshit.

Im pretty eager to see what Ford does with the upcoming 10A. That's a ton of gears, but they look to be well spaced and the trucks can use them.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Edward IV posted:

The only significant issue with the Renegade I've heard is that the programming for the 8 9-speed automatic is still as problematic as all the other Jeeps using that transmission. All the more reason to get the manual which also comes with the 1.4L turbo.

That's a little disturbing, but I'd probably definitely be looking at a manual anyways.

Has that 1.4L turbo been in anything else prior, or is it a new design?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LeeMajors posted:

That's a little disturbing, but I'd probably definitely be looking at a manual anyways.

Has that 1.4L turbo been in anything else prior, or is it a new design?

It's the same engine as in the 500 Abarth.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Also if you're looking at something like the Renegade but want good reliability, you may want to consider the Subaru Crosstrek, especially with the manual. The manual models perform very similar to each other with neither greatly beating the other. The Renegade's greater height gives it more headroom while the Crosstrek's longer wheelbase and length gives it more legroom and cargo capacity.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Edward IV posted:

Also if you're looking at something like the Renegade but want good reliability, you may want to consider the Subaru Crosstrek, especially with the manual. The manual models perform very similar to each other with neither greatly beating the other. The Renegade's greater height gives it more headroom while the Crosstrek's longer wheelbase and length gives it more legroom and cargo capacity.

Good lookin out. Never considered a Crosstrek really.

I'm probably at least a couple of years out from a new car for myself, but I've been pretty intrigued by the Renegade. Better gas mileage*, small displacement engine with some pretty solid utility. And it's a pretty drat good looking little car too.

Just curious if my interest was misguided or not.

*than my 16yo 4Runner

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 15, 2015

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

It's the same engine as in the 500 Abarth.

In the Abarth, it sounds so hilarious. Almost tractor-like.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

angryhampster posted:

In the Abarth, it sounds so hilarious. Almost tractor-like.

As an abarth owner, there's nothing tractor like about the sound.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I'm surprised nobody has been chatting about the news that Volvo bought Polestar. Here's hoping for crazy moose cars!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm surprised nobody has been chatting about the news that Volvo bought Polestar. Here's hoping for crazy moose cars!

more like the entire engineering team put to work researching safety and fuel economy.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

With the exception of the S60 Polestar which is a dumbed down version of the car they were demoing a couple years ago, Volvo seems to be abandoning what little performance ambitions they had. They said back in December that they would be withdrawing from motorsports entirely by 2016, though I don't know if that's changed.

As as S60R owner it makes me sad. It's not an incredible performance car, but it's a great balance of performance and comfort.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

With the exception of the S60 Polestar which is a dumbed down version of the car they were demoing a couple years ago, Volvo seems to be abandoning what little performance ambitions they had. They said back in December that they would be withdrawing from motorsports entirely by 2016, though I don't know if that's changed.

As as S60R owner it makes me sad. It's not an incredible performance car, but it's a great balance of performance and comfort.

They had some good cars, but Volvo was never synonymous with performance for me, so much as it was synonymous with "fucker ahead of me going ten under the limit in the fast lane." I guess they know the bulk of their market :smith:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The s60 t5 stick shift I owned many years ago is still the most fun, "best" car I've ever had the privilege of driving.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

PT6A posted:

They had some good cars, but Volvo was never synonymous with performance

:colbert:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah competing against exotic cars such as the Toyota Carina, Honda Accord, Vauxhall Cavalier and Nissan Primera

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

PT6A posted:

A bunch of rubbish.

got fired from Snopes fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 17, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What poo poo, why do they even try? :rolleyes:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

What poo poo, why do they even try? :rolleyes:

I know, right?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It looks so happy

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
turbo bricks are amazing and are the best modern sleepers.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I don't know, I'm hopeful something fun will come of it. I don't need AMG levels of insanity, I'll be happy with Audi S levels in weird Swedish form.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Xguard86 posted:

turbo bricks are amazing and are the best modern sleepers.

first turbo car i ever rode in was the 840 turbo (i think) pulled pretty hard for a big rear end wagon square.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mat_Drinks posted:

I don't know, I'm hopeful something fun will come of it. I don't need AMG levels of insanity, I'll be happy with Audi S levels in weird Swedish form.

Volvo's current top-end S60 makes 325 HP, the Polestar only has 25HP on top of that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I'm not arguing that they can't make fast cars, just that 95% of their market is deathly afraid of even going the speed limit, so why spend money on it? Again, the people around here that are going to buy the fast stuff second-hand a few years down the line doesn't present a compelling case for an auto manufacturer.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

PT6A posted:

They had some good cars, but Volvo was never synonymous with performance for me, so much as it was synonymous with "fucker ahead of me going ten under the limit in the fast lane." I guess they know the bulk of their market :smith:

Volvo performance is being able to pass the guy in a w123 300D.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

PT6A posted:

I'm not arguing that they can't make fast cars, just that 95% of their market is deathly afraid of even going the speed limit, so why spend money on it? Again, the people around here that are going to buy the fast stuff second-hand a few years down the line doesn't present a compelling case for an auto manufacturer.

I agree with your assessment of the majority (American) Volvo demographic but there might be a chicken and egg problem here.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

blugu64 posted:

Volvo performance is being able to pass the guy in a w123 300D.
So could my w123 230E lol. But the first-gen V70 T5 was a competent Autobahn cruiser.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

blk posted:

I agree with your assessment of the majority (American) Volvo demographic but there might be a chicken and egg problem here.

Look at Cadillac prior to the CTS-V. I mean, they still have that problem, but I think they're gradually changing peoples' views.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PT6A posted:

Not to mention their Chinese owners hate motorsport.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

Not really; one ad comparing it to a Countach aside, they spent decades advertising how safe they were for hauling your crotch spawn around in, so they mainly ended up with owners who were shopping for the most tanklike thing to hang their "baby on board" signs in.

The fact that for a couple decades they never bothered with styling them to look like anything except a box didn't exactly help appeal to people wanting something fast and sexy; they deliberately marketed themselves as the safe, sensible option, they got buyers who only cared about being safe and sensible.

The chicken was their marketing and styling departments, and they laid a very boring egg.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

HotCanadianChick posted:

The chicken was their marketing and styling departments, and they laid a very square egg.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
But the chick was always safe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

And I didn't say I wanted sexy! I want a fast box! :)