Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bort Bortles posted:

Being a cobelligerent means they can call their allies and I believe their protectors (HRE Emperor, Defender of Faith, ect)

I just tried, the emperor doesn't join.

Also, apparently the answer was "have France finally flip from defensive to friendly."

With just France, Muenster, and myself, I managed to fend off half the emperor, at the cost of a few loans and some war exhaustion. It just took some smart engagements. I was really conservative with peace deals, and peaced most of the giant opposing side out earlier than maybe I needed to, but I held out!

Then when I was about to become emperor I formed The Netherlands which apparently takes you out of the empire now (I don't think it used to? I thought that forming the Netherlands used to be the standard way for Burgundy to become a prince) :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My best bud France just made me their rival and broke our alliance. Why would they ever do that to me... is there anyway to get them back?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

My best bud France just made me their rival and broke our alliance. Why would they ever do that to me... is there anyway to get them back?

MAybe...I've had them break alliance because they want provinces and then eventually come back to be my friend. They often want to really if you have high trust.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Baronjutter posted:

Pretty much the only way would be to make their country small enough to make them unrival you or become your vassal. :getin:

(Otherwise it's pretty much just dumb luck whether they'll ever stop being your rival)

Knuc U Kinte posted:

MAybe...I've had them break alliance because they want provinces and then eventually come back to be my friend. They often want to really if you have high trust.

Probably not if they've declared you as a rival, but yeah, countries can flip back really fast if they just have claims or cores.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jsor posted:

Pretty much the only way would be to make their country small enough to make them unrival you or become your vassal. :getin:

(Otherwise it's pretty much just dumb luck whether they'll ever stop being your rival)

Probably not if they've declared you as a rival, but yeah, countries can flip back really fast if they just have claims or cores.

Often they will even derival you after enough time if they don't want anything. The trouble getting them back is often because you have allied their other rivals in the mean time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

e3: Stupid compatibility options. Color space information sounds like the kind of thing you'd want! Oh well, off to the races now. Probably need to smooth out Korela a bit now though. Don't suppose anyone has a good cache of old-timey maps out there in the grand internet? Not that it's ever easy to match it to the goofy rear end EU projection (god how I wish I could fix that, but it'd be weeks of work), but it'd be nice to have something to go off of.
You know, there's at least one mod that fixes the projection. I'm using Typus Orbis Terrarum as the base for my mod, because I simply can't deal with the weird design decisions of Paradox.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Jsor posted:

Then when I was about to become emperor I formed The Netherlands which apparently takes you out of the empire now (I don't think it used to? I thought that forming the Netherlands used to be the standard way for Burgundy to become a prince) :v:

If you're not an elector and form a country your provinces are taken out of the HRE. It's a bit dumb, I think, and I'm not sure when that changed. I think Westphalia is the exception.

Finished my first Ironman game, managed to get all but one of the Polish achievements. Didn't really think I'd manage Into Space but I guess I got lucky. Formed the HRE, banished Protestants/Calvinists to all of 10 provinces collectively in North America, half the world was Catholic.

Managed to drastically overextend Georgia and they spent probably 50-80 years suffering constant rebellions thanks to events, bankruptcy and no stability. Their admin tech was 19 at game end. Sorry Georgia :(

War is pretty great when you have 200 000 Germans to do all the dying for you.

e: Oh, and Brasil decided to do this

Also resurgent Ainu. You go, guys, dream big!

Gitro fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 14, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Check their missions, this often happens when someone takes a mission to take your lands.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

VDay posted:

What's the general strategy with Tabarestan? Thinking about going for This is Persia with them as my next game. Just looking around they seem to pretty much be hostile to all of their big neighbors, and even if they weren't the religion/army/navy size penalties seem like they prevent you from allying with Timurids, QaraQ, Ottos, or Mamluks. I'm thinking of trying to expand up and across the Caspian first into Shirvan or Gazikumukh depending on who they ally, but I'm not too sure how to go about not dying in the meantime.

Do you just improve relations with all your neighbors and pray?

I formed Persia with them recently and found it not too hard (took 2 restarts though). I started out by building up to my force limit just to be somewhat more imposing. Then I started improving relations with everyone around me, QQ and the timurids in particular. Thankfully the latter got the riches in India mission and focused elsewhere, even though they hated me. After a while I saw that I could ally the country to the north with the weird name (Gaz-something something) and that they also disliked Shirvan. So I fabricated a claim, declared war and after like 6 years I somehow could get military access from QQ so I vassalized them. After that QQ loved me for some reason and we could actually ally. Then I just waited until the timurids started to have large rebellions and were low on manpower. Once it seemed like the right time I just pounced and quickly sieged the needed provinces. A caveat is however that you have to keep an eye on Persian separatists. One of my botched attempts started real well and me and Uzbek has almost 3/4 of the timurids occupied. I got greedy and wanted to siege one last fort and boom, the separatists enforced demands and formed Persia, taking all of my sieged country. During the successful attempt they actually also formed Persia before I could but this time I already had so many of the needed provinces cored that I instantly declared war without cb and gobbled them up. But they are sneaky bastards, those Persian rebels.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Is my space button broken or did they change something with pausing in the last beta patch? I keep accidentally unpausing when there are popups/monthly autosaves, which is really annoying since I run the game at max speed and just pause when I want to do something.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Poil posted:

I just want any trade good that's not gold and picked that event so I wouldn't just get good or out of place trade goods, like tea or silk. :v:

Jazerus posted:

You're Christian and Egypt is really quite close to Europe, so they don't treat you much differently than they would, say, a revived Byzantium. You should take advantage of this instead - once you are in Egypt you can usually also ally Austria and Poland, if you do it before they decide they hate you.

Maybe in my first game. In the second I owned a single Egyptian culture province.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Apoffys posted:

Is my space button broken or did they change something with pausing in the last beta patch? I keep accidentally unpausing when there are popups/monthly autosaves, which is really annoying since I run the game at max speed and just pause when I want to do something.

They changed it so that events auto-pause now. I think its a good change, since I don't have to be hovering over pause all the time, but breaking that habit sure is rough.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
My Albania game has hit a snag in the early 1500s. I've snatched up Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia (just a OPM Dalmatia actually) and Ragusa. Allied Poland. I'm now completely boxed in by Hungary and the Ottomans. Hungary is allied with France and Naples, so no dice there. Can't attack the Ottomans because Poland doesn't want to come help. Can't ally Austria because I'm already allied to Poland. What are my options at this point?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jump across to Italy? Attack Naples, have Poland roll Hungary for you, then get Hungary to annul treaties with France and Austria.

Or just ignore Hungary and go start working on Spain via Italy.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

derkaiser posted:

My Albania game has hit a snag in the early 1500s. I've snatched up Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia (just a OPM Dalmatia actually) and Ragusa. Allied Poland. I'm now completely boxed in by Hungary and the Ottomans. Hungary is allied with France and Naples, so no dice there. Can't attack the Ottomans because Poland doesn't want to come help. Can't ally Austria because I'm already allied to Poland. What are my options at this point?

That Albania start is hard. To just survive (before CS) it took me 10 starts. I did essentially what you did and eventually allied Austria insisted I become an Austrian vassal.

When I said no, they broke the alliance and the Ottomans promptly swallowed me. So I still haven't managed that achievement.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What's the current threshold for Aggressive expansion? I went up to 40 and didn't get coalitioned.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

double nine posted:

What's the current threshold for Aggressive expansion?

-30 relations from it, but being strong enough (and having strong enough allies) tends to make the AI not form coalitions.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
And even if they form one, it's not the end of the world, keep enough manpower and cash on hand and they wont even attack you. You can also preemptively go to war with an ally of a big coalition member to bleed their manpower so they can't contribute in an expected punitive war.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Question about the Treaty of Tordesillas - does it only work for European catholics? Just jumped ship from Tyrone to Canada and I'm not going to stay catholic if I don't get me some sweet papal colony boosts. My relations are at 65 so I know it's not that.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gitro posted:

Question about the Treaty of Tordesillas - does it only work for European catholics? Just jumped ship from Tyrone to Canada and I'm not going to stay catholic if I don't get me some sweet papal colony boosts. My relations are at 65 so I know it's not that.

You need to have a colonial nation in the region to get the bonuses, I think.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Perfectly historical.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Gitro posted:

I don't know about bonuses (didn't realize there was one) but in my Kongo game it designated me as the rightful claimant of Caribbean and La Plata on the territory screen for those regions.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
In my current game when the league war ended and Protestant became the official religion of the HRE, it made Cornwall the emperor, which owned enough on its own. But now all of the electors have wiped each other out and nothing exists that can elect a different emperor and Cornwall is refusing to appoint new electors. So they have de facto permanent HRE inheritance even though only 1 reform is passed

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Arzakon posted:

I don't know about bonuses (didn't realize there was one) but in my Kongo game it designated me as the rightful claimant of Caribbean and La Plata on the territory screen for those regions.

I did a quick experiment and yeah, only for colonial nations. Protestants can get +15 settler growth anyway, so gently caress the pope.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Gitro posted:

I did a quick experiment and yeah, only for colonial nations. Protestants can get +15 settler growth anyway, so gently caress the pope.

Oh yeah I remember only seeing it after the colonial nations formed which won't work for your escape plan.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Anyone know why an army without military access (and not part of the HRE or anything) would be allowed to chase an enemy through my territory to an ally? Poland and Lithuania were finishing off the Teutonic Knights, who were allied with The Hansa. Knights were shattered and retreated across Pomerania into Denmark- all good and well, I had given military access to them since I was hoping they'd make life hard for Pol-Lith. Then Poland and Lithuania march 3 armies across my borders? Really would have liked an option at that point to intervene in the war...

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

PrinceRandom posted:

italy
poland
mali
ottomans

I know why colonization happened irl, but as a game, seeing the same people in the same places gets boring.

until Gooniversalis comes out and I can see colorful patches in the new world.

In my Poland game I was bored in the 1700s and much of Colombia was still uncolonised, so I took Expansion and created Wenezuela

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kersch posted:

In my current game when the league war ended and Protestant became the official religion of the HRE, it made Cornwall the emperor, which owned enough on its own. But now all of the electors have wiped each other out and nothing exists that can elect a different emperor and Cornwall is refusing to appoint new electors. So they have de facto permanent HRE inheritance even though only 1 reform is passed

Annex them and see what happens

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Anyone know why an army without military access (and not part of the HRE or anything) would be allowed to chase an enemy through my territory to an ally? Poland and Lithuania were finishing off the Teutonic Knights, who were allied with The Hansa. Knights were shattered and retreated across Pomerania into Denmark- all good and well, I had given military access to them since I was hoping they'd make life hard for Pol-Lith. Then Poland and Lithuania march 3 armies across my borders? Really would have liked an option at that point to intervene in the war...

Pol-Lit has access to your land because you had given military access to their opponent, the TO. As of several patches ago, if any belligerent in a war has military access through a country, all other belligerents do too.

If you want to intervene, there is always the Enforce Peace option, since Pol-Lit was likely the attacker.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Good news: It's 1700 and I'm three provinces from uniting Islam. Sicily belongs to the Turks, Spain has been removed from North Africa, and I'm ready to push into Central Asia and pick two of them up. I have the #1 military in the world and the richest center of trade.

Bad news: the third province is Córdoba and Spain is allied with all of Europe. :smith:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Do you get a parliament system if you become a Constitutional monarchy

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bad news: the third province is Córdoba and Spain is allied with all of Europe. :smith:

No CB war on some minor ally.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm playing in Italy and I didn't have much space to expand anymore since France and the HRE both hate me so I decided to check out north africa. I mean it's africa so it's like making a colony? Nope. I've got a big chunk of territory with all the penalties of a colony or overseas territory with none of the good parts. Can't make them into a colony, can't make them into a trade company. I think trade companies around there would be good. The provinces I took produce nice things like sugar and fabric. I'd love to be able to take over egypt and make it a trade company to help funnel Asian trade through the Mediterranean.

But I guess historically north africa wasn't really somewhere europeans "colonized" in this time period so there's no colonial nations or trade companies able to be formed to make the area quite useless. Once I can make client states I'm absolutely going to get rid of my north african holdings. I wish I could actually release them as a vassal now.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PrinceRandom posted:

Do you get a parliament system if you become a Constitutional monarchy

As long as you have Common Sense, yes I believe so.

e: To clarify, I know it definitely happens with some countries, just not 100% sure if it also applies to any Con. Monarchy or is dependent on religion/culture/region/whatever as well.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I'm attempting to use the CK2-EU4 converter and I can't seem to locate my converted save anywhere on EU4. I converted from CK2 twice without any issue, but when I load up EU4 I can't actually find the save to load. Is it usually in the saved games or in the new games section? Is there any trick to this or is it not loading?

Also, I'm converting from vanilla CK 2.4.1 to EU4 1.12.2.0 (all major expansions except Common Sense). How hosed is this save going to be? 'is it going to work at all?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

No CB war on some minor ally.
Attack Spain directly like a true ghazi.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Pol-Lit has access to your land because you had given military access to their opponent, the TO. As of several patches ago, if any belligerent in a war has military access through a country, all other belligerents do too.

If you want to intervene, there is always the Enforce Peace option, since Pol-Lit was likely the attacker.

Ah, good to know. Sadly my relationship with TO wasn't 100 or whatever it needed to be to actually do the enforce peace. Made it up a few hours later by taking back another 3 Prussian provinces...I wish I could have done more but Lithuania hits like a truck and Muscovy basically never got off it's feet to give me a good eastern ally to do the old Molotov–Ribbentrop.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

VDay posted:

As long as you have Common Sense, yes I believe so.

e: To clarify, I know it definitely happens with some countries, just not 100% sure if it also applies to any Con. Monarchy or is dependent on religion/culture/region/whatever as well.

constitutional monarchy, constitutional republic, english monarchy. no other conditions.

it's also insanely easy to add it to other government types if you wanna mod it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm playing in Italy and I didn't have much space to expand anymore since France and the HRE both hate me so I decided to check out north africa. I mean it's africa so it's like making a colony? Nope. I've got a big chunk of territory with all the penalties of a colony or overseas territory with none of the good parts. Can't make them into a colony, can't make them into a trade company. I think trade companies around there would be good. The provinces I took produce nice things like sugar and fabric. I'd love to be able to take over egypt and make it a trade company to help funnel Asian trade through the Mediterranean.

But I guess historically north africa wasn't really somewhere europeans "colonized" in this time period so there's no colonial nations or trade companies able to be formed to make the area quite useless. Once I can make client states I'm absolutely going to get rid of my north african holdings. I wish I could actually release them as a vassal now.
I think you should be able to release say, Tunis, as a vassal (depends on what you took). If it is still early enough you should be able to release Tripoli or Algiers or someone. If you convert of 50% of a culture's (either provinces or total development, I'm not sure which) to Catholic your vassal will be Catholic. If all of those cores are decayed I guess you will have to wait for Client States.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Attack Spain directly like a true ghazi.
qft

Democrazy posted:

I'm attempting to use the CK2-EU4 converter and I can't seem to locate my converted save anywhere on EU4. I converted from CK2 twice without any issue, but when I load up EU4 I can't actually find the save to load. Is it usually in the saved games or in the new games section? Is there any trick to this or is it not loading?

Also, I'm converting from vanilla CK 2.4.1 to EU4 1.12.2.0 (all major expansions except Common Sense). How hosed is this save going to be? 'is it going to work at all?
Probably not. Right now the converter is really hard to use because it has not been updated for all the map changes that came with Art of War and Common Sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do vassals work regarding trade power?

I wish there was some way to dominate a country sort of like a vassal but just for trade power. They don't have to give any money, they don't have to join in wars, all they have to do is give their trade power.

• Locked thread