Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Currently have a 660 TI in my rig. Would now be a good time to upgrade to the 960? Or should I wait a bit longer for other cards to drop in price? I'd prefer to keep it sub-$300 on a video card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

LLJKSiLk posted:

Currently have a 660 TI in my rig. Would now be a good time to upgrade to the 960? Or should I wait a bit longer for other cards to drop in price? I'd prefer to keep it sub-$300 on a video card.

Always wait as long as you can. If you need and can afford more power, upgrade. Otherwise save your money--it'll go further tomorrow.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

LLJKSiLk posted:

The fury is currently looking like it's gonna push the 980 down in price which may in turn effect the lower end of nvidias line up. I'd definitely wait a little bit, see how that pans out.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

The fury is currently looking like it's gonna push the 980 down in price which may in turn effect the lower end of nvidias line up. I'd definitely wait a little bit, see how that pans out.

Quoting Anandtech, the Fury is 10% more expensive and 8% faster on average. The 980 also draws a chunk less power and has way, way more overclocking headroom. I don't think the 980 is too pressured.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Thought about messing around in Black Ops 2 for laughs but I'm hearing you can get VAC banned just for being in a hacked lobby? Or is that just cheaters spouting bullshit? Sounds odd to me because BO2 PC actually uses dedicated servers (or at least did at one point)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Roman posted:

Thought about messing around in Black Ops 2 for laughs but I'm hearing you can get VAC banned just for being in a hacked lobby? Or is that just cheaters spouting bullshit? Sounds odd to me because BO2 PC actually uses dedicated servers (or at least did at one point)

That's bullshit. I get in hacked lobbies in MW2 all the time and I don't get VAC banned. Anyone who says they got banned and they don't know why is just lying about cheating.

Black Ops 2 PC still uses dedicated servers. That doesn't stop hacking, unfortunately.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
What's a good 27 inch 1080p monitor to get these days? There's a lot of options but I'm not really sure which to pick since I have very little knowledge on monitors in general. I recently set up a dual monitor thing but the secondary monitor died on me.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Ryuga Death posted:

What's a good 27 inch 1080p monitor to get these days? There's a lot of options but I'm not really sure which to pick since I have very little knowledge on monitors in general. I recently set up a dual monitor thing but the secondary monitor died on me.
I was gonna recommend the BenQ XL line but mine has been acting up lately.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Great Joe posted:

I was gonna recommend the BenQ XL line but mine has been acting up lately.

How so? Also, is this a decent BenQ alternative? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITORMDC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Roman posted:

BO2 has by far the best PC community, it is a lot of fun. Servers are all dedicated and the inclusion of an all gamemode lobby means you can still play every single game mode (even weird ones like Sharpshooter and Headquarters). I've been in lobbies with hackers before, but "hacked lobbies" don't exist. That's complete bullshit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has anyone had trouble getting their PS4 controller to work on PC since the Windows 10 upgrade? Using the DS4 method here.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The one problem that I've had related to Windows 10 has been with my X52 Pro. Saitek/Mad Catz have had lovely drivers forever, but it worked absolutely fine on Windows 7 so I didn't think much of it when I plugged it in the other day.

Unfortunately, it seems to be causing severe issues across the entire USB controller. If I unplug it, every single USB device dies, including my keyboard and mouse. I am then forced to hard reset. If I leave it plugged in, it will eventually stop working altogether and then the same USB crash will happen.

I've come across several solutions through the power and mystery of Google, but none have fixed it. I think I may just be screwed and have to wait for Saitek to release updated drivers. So in other words, I'm screwed.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Gonkish posted:

The one problem that I've had related to Windows 10 has been with my X52 Pro. Saitek/Mad Catz have had lovely drivers forever, but it worked absolutely fine on Windows 7 so I didn't think much of it when I plugged it in the other day.

Unfortunately, it seems to be causing severe issues across the entire USB controller. If I unplug it, every single USB device dies, including my keyboard and mouse. I am then forced to hard reset. If I leave it plugged in, it will eventually stop working altogether and then the same USB crash will happen.

I've come across several solutions through the power and mystery of Google, but none have fixed it. I think I may just be screwed and have to wait for Saitek to release updated drivers. So in other words, I'm screwed.

Thanks for this. I haven't used my x52pro in a while, but I'm glad my "wait for 10.1" stance on the new hotness now has a solid reason to continue following. I have a G27 and have heard mixed results from folks playing Project CARS on Windows 10 as well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Might be purely a Saitek thing though, and nothing from MS's end might fix it.

Saitek are the worst with drivers. I don't think their Windows 8 drivers even came out until the OS had been out for quite something like 2 years. They've also been promising that all their sticks and pedals and peripherals will be supported in their newer H.U.D. software for years now, and it'll probably never happen. I don't even think they've updated the H.U.D. thing since it's initial release.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Just to confirm, I won't be automatically punted onto windows 10 against my will, will I.

I did the reservation thing, but it's said nothing more about the upgrade since. I'm in no real rush to be honest, and I'm keen to keep using my x52 for now.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

DarthBlingBling posted:

Just to confirm, I won't be automatically punted onto windows 10 against my will, will I.

I did the reservation thing, but it's said nothing more about the upgrade since. I'm in no real rush to be honest, and I'm keen to keep using my x52 for now.

Even with the reservation, you still have to manually agree & confirm the update just like any manual Windows Update.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Huh, that's weird, Windows Update is working fine but keeps telling me the last update failed, I wonder what the update history is... loving thing is full of "Windows Defender definitions updated, Upgrade to Windows 10 FAILED." Every time it tries to update something else, it complains. The other updates are fine, at least.

I reserved the upgrade but haven't been asked to upgrade yet, and have no intention of doing so for a while.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

TotalLossBrain posted:

Even with the reservation, you still have to manually agree & confirm the update just like any manual Windows Update.

My understanding from the Win10 thread is that if you have a reservation, once it is downloaded and ready you can only put it off for up to 3 days. Is that not the case?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah the upgrade waves are spaced out a few weeks to help avoid overloading ISPs and such. I havent seen a popup yet.

macnbc posted:

My understanding from the Win10 thread is that if you have a reservation, once it is downloaded and ready you can only put it off for up to 3 days. Is that not the case?

Not the case at all, you have until something like September 2016 to upgrade.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

chrisoya posted:

Huh, that's weird, Windows Update is working fine but keeps telling me the last update failed, I wonder what the update history is... loving thing is full of "Windows Defender definitions updated, Upgrade to Windows 10 FAILED." Every time it tries to update something else, it complains. The other updates are fine, at least.

I reserved the upgrade but haven't been asked to upgrade yet, and have no intention of doing so for a while.

I had the same problem with one of my two web upgrades. Googling the error code led me to a manual solution that has you delete the contents of some sub folder in /Windows, manually restart the Update service, then you have to potentially load a hotfix via Windows Update. After that, the upgrade proceeded smoothly (except for the terrible NVIDIA driver implementation at first). While searching for the solution, I couldn't help but notice that it appeared to be a common problem for a lot of people.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah the upgrade waves are spaced out a few weeks to help avoid overloading ISPs and such. I havent seen a popup yet.

Might be hardware based, because I reserved my upgrade and got it immediately on July 30th for my Surface Pro.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If you have the ability to upgrade you guys don't have to wait for the waves to come out or for it to tell you that you are ready.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just go there and hit the download tool now for your version and everything will work fine (i can confirm).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Just go there and hit the download tool now for your version and everything will work fine (i can confirm).

Give it a couple of Tuesdays for the patches to filter out. There's no real urgency to upgrade, you have a year.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is it good or is it poo poo like 8?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
It's good but a little buggy right now, nothing they can't fix. Plus as far as relevance to this thread goes, it's the only way to get DirectX 12.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bob NewSCART posted:

It's better than 8 and with time could be better than 7. Microsoft pushed it out before it was ready.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bob NewSCART posted:

8 was amazing. If you don't like 8, 10 is not going to be some sort of revelation.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

8 was amazing. If you don't like 8, 10 is not going to be some sort of revelation.

8.1 was really the better variant--8 was trying too hard to make everything from servers to tablets, touchscreen tablets. I get the whole "unified experience" deal, but I can count on one stump where a hand used to be as to how many servers with a touchscreen I've dealt with.

That being said, I've heard pretty good things about 10, when its working and "Something" doesn't happen. Standard non-dot upgrade rules should apply--give it 6 months to season and allow apps to catch up to the release version.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I have been using it for a week now on my main workstation. I've been using it for C++ CUDA development, some gaming (WL2) and general web browsing.
Only one issue so far (it's a bit early still) and that's Microsoft wanting to upgrade my printer driver a few times a day.
It's easy to use, faster than 7 and 8.1. I'm happy so far.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Essobie posted:

Thanks for this. I haven't used my x52pro in a while, but I'm glad my "wait for 10.1" stance on the new hotness now has a solid reason to continue following. I have a G27 and have heard mixed results from folks playing Project CARS on Windows 10 as well.

Apparently the issue I'm having is not unique and is driver related. Saitek has said on Twitter that they're working to release a Windows 10 driver "ASAP", which probably means sometime this decade... maybe.

Fingers crossed.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

macnbc posted:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Well poo poo, actually I was wrong on that, the automatic update they're pushing out apparently CAN only be postponed for 3 days at a time.

That's kind of a pain. I'm going to dick around with it on my laptop and see if it lets me keep pushing it back indefinitely, but the upgrade app is a pain to work with and doesn't give you a lot of control over the process. I've redownloaded ~3 GB update twice now because I was trying to see if there was a way to hold off indefinitely. I don't want it on my desktop yet so looks like I'll just have to cancel the reservation and do a manual install later on down the road.

You'll still be able to upgrade for free until September 2016 though from all reports I've seen. You can re-reserve it even after "cancelling" the reservation.

I'm waiting until probably October to upgrade my main system, that's the date I keep hearing for Threshold 2, which will be a sort-of service pack Microsoft has planned that aims to bundle a bunch of performance and stability updates.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a quick and easy way to set up a 360 controller to use one of the sticks to control the cursor?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can download Xpadder to map your controller to kb+m, I'm not sure if there's a version compatible with Windows 10 if you've already upgraded though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Razer support isn't bad, I had an older Razer mouse that the middle click stopped working (probably because my toddler keeps throwing it around) and I wasn't sure if they would help me out. Sent a quick message to Razer support got a shipping invoice that I mailed back and got my new mouse in about a week. Only thing that was lovely was waiting for the new mouse because they made me ship my old one back to them first. Had to scrounge around for another temporary mouse in the mean time. Also got a newer model since they no longer manufactured the old one I had.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 12, 2015

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Reason posted:

Is there a quick and easy way to set up a 360 controller to use one of the sticks to control the cursor?

I've been using Controller Companion from steam and it's pretty awesome for when I want to use my exercise bike since it can do keyboard stuff as well.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Its good so far- I hated 8, but have liked 10 so far. I made the jump from 7 to 10.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

highmodulus posted:

Its good so far- I hated 8, but have liked 10 so far. I made the jump from 7 to 10.

Same here. I take 10 as an upgrade to 7. I never liked the Metro UI and now I have my good old desktop, start menu with the added benefit of having live tiles and really easy to customize (also cortana is amazing). Win10 works better with more than 1 screen than 7. For example some games designed for only 1 screen would turn black my 2nd and make it unusable, Win10 fixes that and lets me easily use my apps on the 2nd screen's taskbar.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The only problem I have with 10 isn't really Microsoft's fault.. I have a Creative sound card because my onboard sound is utter poo poo, and Creative just can't get their act together to make drivers in a timely fashion. Windows 10 drivers aren't supposed to be out for it for another month.
My old drivers work, sort of. I have to go into device manager and uninstall/reinstall them every reboot to get them working again. Really annoying.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Chuck out the creative garbage and just get a decent USB dac from ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

SwissCM posted:

Chuck out the creative garbage and just get a decent USB dac from ebay.

This. Sound cards are worthless. And your onboard is probably just fine unless you are doing some crazy audio work, in which case you should be using something other than a sound card anyways.

• Locked thread