Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Psiharis posted:

See, now I'm gonna have to replay TW2 yet again because I sure don't remember that, and I'm sure there's a ton of other foreshadowing that didn't make much of an impression at the time.

Yeah same. Does anyone remember/know how long TW2 takes to complete? I never did do an Iorveth path playthough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
For all the watery areas in this game I'm slightly disappointed at the lack of vodyanoi. Those guys were cool in the first game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

pik_d posted:

Yeah same. Does anyone remember/know how long TW2 takes to complete? I never did do an Iorveth path playthough.

Probably about 30 to 40 hours if you don't really do everything I think. I've gotta do a Roche playthrough, which I honestly wish I did in the first place because Iorveth is nowhere to be seen.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

FuriousGeorge posted:

For all the watery areas in this game I'm slightly disappointed at the lack of vodyanoi. Those guys were cool in the first game.

DLC desperately needs Zeugl, for all the ingame dialog that has Geralt bitching about it.

I think my most recent TW2 game was like 20-25 hrs, doing most sidequests but mashing through a lot of the dialog. Hurr, might have something to do with my fuzzy memory.

eta: roche path best path for politicky stuff. I can see why it was less liked during TW2 but it preps you really well for TW3, especially why Radovid is such a loving crazy rear end in a top hat.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 14, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
God I hope the new patch greatly improves the movement. I'm tired of walking in circles. Also Geralt seems to think stairs are inclines and just started surf sliding down stairs. It was amusing for a bit, but I had to quit and reload to fix it.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss Geralt's Skellige slalom skills if they do fix it. Not to mention his candle OCD. "I'll talk to you about your contract, just gotta douse and re-light this candle 17 times first."

e: MIND loving BLOWN. You know all those times when a quest with multiple objectives defaults to something completely unhelpful on the other side of the map? I was just thinking it would be nice if you could click the right stick to swap objectives without digging around in menus, and I tried it to see if anything else was bound there... and it WORKED. :aaa:

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 14, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I managed to un-screw my save game that wouldn't let me fast travel out of Skellige during the Following the Thread quest like many others by reloading and taking a boat back to the primary island. It might be related to something about the fast travel points around that island or having some enemies spawn, I dunno. I was scared I'd have to wait until 1.07 lands to get off that island but my Geralt didn't let no bugs keep him from getting off that island. But for anyone else trying to get off that drat island, try sailing and looking at the pretty CGI water.

I also contend that the Wild Hunt are space black metal elves :colbert:. The Oskorei are vaguely related to Norse black metal band aesthetics and inspirations at least (the term Wild Hunt was the same thing as the Oskorei last I remember).

Exhibit A, Dimmu Borgir

Exhibit B, Behemoth is formerly black metal

As a concession, Glen Benton counts as death metal obviously and he's closer to the Wild Hunt's armor style.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psiharis posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss Geralt's Skellige slalom skills if they do fix it. Not to mention his candle OCD. "I'll talk to you about your contract, just gotta douse and re-light this candle 17 times first."

e: MIND loving BLOWN. You know all those times when a quest with multiple objectives defaults to something completely unhelpful on the other side of the map? I was just thinking it would be nice if you could click the right stick to swap objectives without digging around in menus, and I tried it to see if anything else was bound there... and it WORKED. :aaa:

I think it says this on one of the loading screens.Or it may have been in the tutorial, I can't remember.

Also I've learned if a NPC says to trust them when making a decision, DO IT.

Baby in the oven

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'm really upset that I apparently missed the Letho cameo because of a single chat prompt I failed/neglected to bring up at the beginning of the game. :|

Also,

Psiharis posted:

Decoctions that regen health on damage also count damage from status effects (poison, bleed, fire)

The Ekimmara decoction works on any source of damage, as far as I'm aware. This includes finishing off fallen enemies, which is nice. It's also so drat good it's like cheating; even with a non-alchemy build.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I must say, after romancing Triss on my second playthrough (gently caress you writers; I'll do what I want:argh:!) somehow no one spoiled the joke with the people on the boat. I laughed all the more because it was unexpected.

(Ending spoilers I suppose)I also like that she just straight up tells you exactly what her end credits scene is. Sans cake smell.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Wow, TW2 seems so clunky now. I... I'm not sure I can do this. :(

I do like the Crinfrid Reavers callback to The Bounds of Reason now that I've read some of the books though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i tried to play The Witcher: Enhanced Edition after finishing the main quest in TW3 finally.

I just can't. I can't do it. The Witcher 1 is the one witcher game I basically never finished and it's looking like I may never do it. I've had a few years of staring at character models and listening to dialogue that's not atrocious and I can't even get out of Kaer Morhen before giving up because Geralt and most of the male character models look like they were born in the town of Innsmouth.

I got to act 4 once, years ago, in 2009 or 2010, basically around the time preceding and following the release of the enhanced addition. In my mind I'm trying to remind myself "just survive the prologue and act 1 the game doesn't pick up till act 2" but i Just Can't Do It. The Witcher 2 has to be a cakewalk to go back to by comparison.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Apparently someone found upgradable Wild Hunt Warrior armor and swords in the code. I hope it's one of the free DLCs so I don't have to wait till october or next year.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

38 hours into the game and now im getting crashes every few minutes. 1.07 cant come soon enough.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Psiharis posted:

The Ladies also draw heavily from Baba Yaga stories which occasionally include some male henchmen who enjoy being wined 'n dined, apparently. It's probably one of those things that's not so much out of nowhere for Slavic audiences, just doesn't translate so well.

That quest was all about well known slavic folklore tale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysa_Hora_(folklore)
It must be one of those few stories that Slavs had as they chilled somewhere in present day Ukraine swamps.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Romes128 posted:

I think it says this on one of the loading screens.Or it may have been in the tutorial, I can't remember.

Also I've learned if a NPC says to trust them when making a decision, DO IT.

Baby in the oven

I think that one was about the worst-written quest in the entire game.

Cerys tells Geralt she has an idea, then comes back and tells him to throw the baby. So why did Geralt feel real guilt if that was obviously just a ruse and he knew he didn't burn the baby?

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Regarding near the end of the game with Avallac looking first at pictures of naked human ladies in his room, and then having drawings of Ciri's face in his laboratory. When you meet the tall elf viceroy who's painting the nude picasso picture, the two elves exchange some verbal barbs about how the model looks slightly like Falka or the like.The game never seems to go anywhere with it, though I appreciated it making the world feel like it didn't revolve around Geralt and the main plot. Still, it would've been nice to find out what those elves and their backstory is.

All I managed to pick up is that Falka was some woman who married into elves? or was it the other way around?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kaizer88 posted:

Regarding near the end of the game with Avallac looking first at pictures of naked human ladies in his room, and then having drawings of Ciri's face in his laboratory. When you meet the tall elf viceroy who's painting the nude picasso picture, the two elves exchange some verbal barbs about how the model looks slightly like Falka or the like.The game never seems to go anywhere with it, though I appreciated it making the world feel like it didn't revolve around Geralt and the main plot. Still, it would've been nice to find out what those elves and their backstory is.

All I managed to pick up is that Falka was some woman who married into elves? or was it the other way around?

Falka's mother was half-elf, father was human. Only one of her kids (daughter) was mentioned, and she died childless (or she became ancestor to Ciri, it's complicated). It's implied that Falka had more kids since books claim she hosed her commanders and used kids as a tool for securing their loyalty. True monster, and considering the world in Witcher books it says something.

Avallac'h is "invested" in the whole deal also because he was supposed to marry Lara Dorren, but she preferred some human wizard. Avallac'h tracks Lara's gene for that reason also.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

alex314 posted:

Falka's mother was half-elf, father was human. Only one of her kids (daughter) was mentioned, and she died childless (or she became ancestor to Ciri, it's complicated). It's implied that Falka had more kids since books claim she hosed her commanders and used kids as a tool for securing their loyalty. True monster, and considering the world in Witcher books it says something.

Avallac'h is "invested" in the whole deal also because he was supposed to marry Lara Dorren, but she preferred some human wizard. Avallac'h tracks Lara's gene for that reason also.

Ah, thanks for that! Got the Falka and Larra names mixed up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

pik_d posted:

I tried to re-play before Witcher 3 was released (around the original slated release date) and I just couldn't do it. I can't bring myself to help Roche. I replayed Witcher 1 just before 2 came out and I helped the Squirrels there too.
It just seems wrong to do anything else!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

^^^ I've helped Siegfried and Roche :shrug:

I'm trying to replay W3 on highest difficulty, my first death was predictably during the first fight. I was kicked by Roach! :argh:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

GrossMurpel posted:

Cerys tells Geralt she has an idea, then comes back and tells him to throw the baby. So why did Geralt feel real guilt if that was obviously just a ruse and he knew he didn't burn the baby?

Agreed. It would have worked a lot better if either Cerys had figured out what monster it was and made the plan entirely on her own, or if Geralt figured it out and made Cerys throw the baby in the fire.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 14, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
When I recently did "va Fail Elaine!", I think it's a great touch how much the Witchers all really loathe what they're doing. It's super clear that they all have varying degrees of hatred of themselves and the whole process really. Lambert of course being the most obvious but it's just a great touch. I'm glad they didn't go into it with some sort of "well, this is the way WE do things, normies" poo poo. Even beforehand when I was exploring caves and poo poo around Kaer Morhen, Geralt just constantly was angry at the old grounds he'd find.

GrossMurpel posted:

Heat of the moment, no pun intended.

And maybe I was just stupid, but I was like "uhhhh, wait, who's baby did I kill?" at first because it's not really clear that she grabbed it out of a hidden compartment at first. I mean, I put it together quickly afterwards, but she just appears from the room like "lol here's your baby" I guess i didn't inspect the room behind it close enough because apparently you can find the trap door before hand. Still, Geralt protected the door with Quen, cold as ice.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 14, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah at first it felt like it was trying to say "ahh, it wasn't actually a bad thing, because geralt murdered some OTHER baby, yours is right here, safe and sound."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

alex314 posted:

^^^ I've helped Siegfried and Roche :shrug:

Sounds like someone's a huge racist.

Incidentally talking of Witcher 1 the note from Alvin in Novigrad bookshop was awesome. It's a shame it didn't lead anywhere else.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah, this was the only quest that really struck me as poorly written.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Yeah, this was the only quest that really struck me as poorly written.

Did anyone try to just straight up fight the thing? Maybe that's the better written option, but the "poor" ending. Like, maybe the writers didn't think everyone would be so keen on throwing a baby in the oven even if they knew it was for a trick.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm definitely gonna fight it if I play through again. I'm gonna fight the doppler as well.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm definitely gonna fight it if I play through again. I'm gonna fight the doppler as well.

Not that it matters, but what really frustrates me is that *thats* your only chance to get a doppler mutagen and you're just SOL if you want the doppler concotion.

Same with the Succubus concotions, you have what, two chances to kill Succubi and they're both kinda "eh, she's harmless".

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

alex314 posted:

That quest was all about well known slavic folklore tale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysa_Hora_(folklore)
It must be one of those few stories that Slavs had as they chilled somewhere in present day Ukraine swamps.

I tried googling around about it but wasn't finding much except stuff like that incredibly vague wikipedia article. "There's this mountain with the same name as ten thousand million other mountains, and witchy stuff goes on there, sometimes."

Is there a good English source of these stories? I'd pay money for an actual book if I could find one. Most English-translated Baba Yaga stuff begins and ends with the chicken-feet house. For instance I thought I was pretty familiar with fairy tales in general but I had no clue that she was sometimes three people!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

Not that it matters, but what really frustrates me is that *thats* your only chance to get a doppler mutagen and you're just SOL if you want the doppler concotion.

Same with the Succubus concotions, you have what, two chances to kill Succubi and they're both kinda "eh, she's harmless".

Interesting,

What happens with Skellege's Most Wanted if you choose to attack the monsters? There's a Doppler in that group.

EDIT: Also all that stuff on Slavic lore and Bald Mountain are really interesting and make the the Bald Mountain part of the game make a lot more sense.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

JetsGuy posted:

According to their bestiary entries, that's basically true for succubi and dopplers both on a genetic/cultural level.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The only succubus I remember in W2 was equally 'eh harmless' ultimately. Like I think she killed someone but in self defense or someone is trying to frame her or something not sure.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Randler posted:

According to their bestiary entries, that's basically true for succubi and dopplers both on a genetic/cultural level.

Also, Witchers aren't supposed to kill sentient monsters, only if they attack humans. :eng101:

Succubi are a grey area, they're not directly doing the killing, its the guys that keep going back for more till they die.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snuffman posted:

Interesting,

What happens with Skellege's Most Wanted if you choose to attack the monsters? There's a Doppler in that group.

EDIT: Also all that stuff on Slavic lore and Bald Mountain are really interesting and make the the Bald Mountain part of the game make a lot more sense.

Forgot about that. He's the most reasonable of the group though and is like first to realize you're a good witcher. I guess he'd drop one.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

novaSphere posted:

I'm really upset that I apparently missed the Letho cameo because of a single chat prompt I failed/neglected to bring up at the beginning of the game. :|

I chose the default story state, does that story arc have Geralt sparing Letho in TW2? I don't remember answering any dialogue questions regarding that character so far in this game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Javes posted:

I chose the default story state, does that story arc have Geralt sparing Letho in TW2? I don't remember answering any dialogue questions regarding that character so far in this game.
What happened when you did the (act 1 contract) Reardon Manor quest? That'd tell you what happened. The dialogue choices he's referring to are, I think, the ones that happen at the end of the prologue where you talk about your history and create a world state.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Javes posted:

Pretty sure he's dead by default - it's probably the biggest change based on W2 world state.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ravenfood posted:

What happened when you did the (act 1 contract) Reardon Manor quest? That'd tell you what happened. The dialogue choices he's referring to are, I think, the ones that happen at the end of the prologue where you talk about your history and create a world state.

You only get those choices if you choose to simulate a W2 save. Especially important for us console peasants who never even played W2.

I don't know what the "default" is though as far as what happens if you don't import nor simulate.

EDIT:
According to Reddit:

Default is
Roche
Saved Triss
Killed Letho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Agreed. It would have worked a lot better if either Cerys had figured out what monster it was and made the plan entirely on her own, or if Geralt figured it out and made Cerys throw the baby in the fire.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did anyone try to just straight up fight the thing? Maybe that's the better written option, but the "poor" ending. Like, maybe the writers didn't think everyone would be so keen on throwing a baby in the oven even if they knew it was for a trick.

I did, I went for the "Witcher's method" because I am reading The Last Wish right now and the fvery first story is about using a similar method (spend the night in its lair) against a different monster. I also though the entire concept of "lets make a plan that only work if it fails" I was really hoping that Cerys's actual plan was to fake her death doing her dumb plan so that Geralt would feel guilty that he let her try her dumb plan instead of using the tried and true method.

unrelated: I have decided I really like the fall damage. While it might not be "realistic", a lot of games like this have the player jumping off things taking shortcuts and generally parkouring all over the place. In real life, you almost never jump of a second story balcony because you are too lazy to go back inside. The Witcher gives you plenty of opportunities to make choices and roleplay, but it's NOT trying to be a game where "you can play how ever you want". A lot of gameplay mechanics in this game work to reinforce the tone and setting they are going for, and this helps prevent it from turning into GTA: Velen. The game in general promotes caution, including not jumping off of poo poo for no reason. The sliding and rolling mechanics mean that you can survive most situation where you want to descent a steep drop if you are careful. Which I think is perfectly in line with the universe.