Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love Bill Trinen's :unsmith: Mii face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Fix posted:

How in the gently caress did I never buy this game?

If you've watched the tomodachi life direct you've already literally seen 100% of what the game has to offer.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Tomodachi Life was helmed by none other than Yoshio Sakamoto, whose last project was Other M.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Excels posted:

Tomodachi Life was helmed by none other than Yoshio Sakamoto, whose last project was Other M.

Samus didn't pick him or anyone else though.

She picked Iwata. :unsmith:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Samus didn't pick him or anyone else though.

She picked Iwata. :unsmith:

how could you not pick iwata

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darth TNT posted:

That's a surprisingly boring looking HQ for a company like Nintendo,

It's a building exterior, not sure what you were expecting? But more importantly, a lot of Nintendo's actual stuff is super fun, like if you look at their corporate documents and statements about their vision and stuff several are hyper colorful and whimsical compared to any other company.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

That's a surprisingly boring looking HQ for a company like Nintendo, though the rainbow does help a bit. Maybe they can find a way to keep it there.

The inside is actually a real life version of the OoT Water Temple

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

yeah a corporate HQ is gonna look like a corporate HQ. it's not like the Disney CEO goes to work at cinderella's castle every day or whatever. whenever they show the interior, though, there's a lot of nintendo statues and framed art and some stuff painted on walls and all that jazz though so it does look distinctly Nintendo inside the building

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Help Im Alive posted:

The key to unlock the top floor offices is underneath the elevator leading to them.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
To get out of the lobby you need to grapple onto the light fixtures.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a building exterior, not sure what you were expecting? But more importantly, a lot of Nintendo's actual stuff is super fun, like if you look at their corporate documents and statements about their vision and stuff several are hyper colorful and whimsical compared to any other company.

Yeah, one of their company guides for investors and workers even had a fold out replica of the building two years ago. These guides are usually filled with concept art and other inside the building stuff we usually never get to see. This same one also revealed a dark secret about Isabelle. She used to wear those swirly nerd glasses.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

It could be worse. When Capcom designed their new building they used the same architectural firm that designed Umbrella facilities.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Square Enix HQ lobby has a huge sprawling piece of art by Amano taking up an entire wall, chock-full of odd creatures and interesting little details.

Otherwise, it's a corporate building with a big ol' cube farm. :geno:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

It could be worse. When Capcom designed their new building they used the same architectural firm that designed Umbrella facilities.

Could be worse, could be Ion Storm's old office :v:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
For a long time, Bethesda employees were not given directions to HQ, but this changed somewhere around 2006.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's not as bad as the original design for Id's offices, which were drawn up by Sandy Petersen.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

The Square Enix HQ lobby has a huge sprawling piece of art by Amano taking up an entire wall, chock-full of odd creatures and interesting little details.

Otherwise, it's a corporate building with a big ol' cube farm. :geno:

You sure it not build like Shinra Headquarters where there 70 floors and you have to take the stairs since you force to monster if you take the elevator. Square just really wants there employees to be fit.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

RyokoTK posted:

It's not as bad as the original design for Id's offices, which were drawn up by Sandy Petersen.

I'd work in Map09.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

This looks like that Zybourne Clock city map.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So what does this mean for the future of Nintendo Consoles? I hope they don't try to compete with the PS4 and instead continue to try new things. :smith:

arcsig
May 29, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

So what does this mean for the future of Nintendo Consoles? I hope they don't try to compete with the PS4 and instead continue to try new things. :smith:
I'm assuming the NX will continue to go in whatever direction it was going before. Doing a 180 and going completely against Iwata's vision now that he's gone would be not only extremely disrespectful but also a very bad PR move.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

arcsig posted:

I'm assuming the NX will continue to go in whatever direction it was going before. Doing a 180 and going completely against Iwata's vision now that he's gone would be not only extremely disrespectful but also a very bad PR move.

Also Japanese companies generally don't turn on a dime just because of a change in management like in the US. Anyone who's going into the CEO chair's likely to keep the same ethos going rather than decide Nintendo should produce bread instead.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's likely going to be another Artist as CEO too, because the candidates mentioned so far are people who have designed software and hardware. So not, like, a business/numbers guy.

I wonder though if what happened to iPhone post-Jobs will happen to 3DS, where Nintendo decides to keep releasing new hardware iterations of 3DS with faster processor/chip but doesn't reinvent the wheel with a brand new portable concept.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's likely going to be another Artist as CEO too, because the candidates mentioned so far are people who have designed software and hardware. So not, like, a business/numbers guy.

I wonder though if what happened to iPhone post-Jobs will happen to 3DS, where Nintendo decides to keep releasing new hardware iterations of 3DS with faster processor/chip but doesn't reinvent the wheel with a brand new portable concept.

Not really. Jobs was pretty much the one guy pushing his initiative on Apple (each new iteration should improve on the previous), and once he was gone no-one else gave two shits so long as the money kept coming in. Nintendo's upper-management seem to all share the same general doctrine and try to keep it instilled in the departments so losing Iwata's not as bad.

It's still very sad though :negative:.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Polo-Rican posted:

If you've watched the tomodachi life direct you've already literally seen 100% of what the game has to offer.

Oh. Well that's a bit deflating.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was thinking "oh now they can put Sakurai in charge" but that dude's been overworked almost literally to death and I doubt he'd ever do it. Maybe they can go with an outside hire. CEO of Nintendo, Hideki Kamiya. Please Understand To Ask Your Mom

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm sure they are staying the course. I don't think their base architecture of power pc is as big a problem as people think since high level interpreters and languages and dev tools just keep getting better, so I think they will put out something roughly on the same growth path as before, with its own charm, but easier for third parties to work with without restrictions or requirements. Really I think they can satisfy a lot of people by just having 250gb hard drive built in and a poo poo ton of ram, and a new online network run by DeNA with more modern features like party chat, while still having their interesting new concept. Especially if they can be no hassle backwards compatible from the get go since there are a ton of WiiU games people who don't own one want to play.

I think they'll probably start a PS+ like service as well where they can push third party and indie games to people and say to developers "If you make a good game and people aren't buying it, WE will buy it and push it to users, and they will want to buy your next one".

I really hope but severely doubt Reggie Fils-Aime gets put in charge. I feel like he understands the needs of non Japanese consumers much better, but also really understands and respects Nintendo's creative philosophy and wouldn't betray it. And when he says Iwata became a personal friend I believe him. There's like zero chance though.

greatn fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 14, 2015

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

MinibarMatchman posted:

I was thinking "oh now they can put Sakurai in charge" but that dude's been overworked almost literally to death and I doubt he'd ever do it. Maybe they can go with an outside hire. CEO of Nintendo, Hideki Kamiya. Please Understand To Ask Your Mom

CEO of Nintendo, Hideo Kojima

Mushroom... Kingdom?!?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

greatn posted:

I think they'll probably start a PS+ like service as well where they can push third party and indie games to people and say to developers "If you make a good game and people aren't buying it, WE will buy it and push it to users, and they will want to buy your next one".

that's ridiculously optimistic and I can't see that ever happening but I'd really like to just pay for something like SMB3 once and have it forever, as opposed to buying it for NES/SNES/GC/Wii/Wii-U VC/3DS over and over

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Gorgolflox posted:

CEO of Nintendo, Hideo Kojima

Mushroom... Kingdom?!?
If it brings Captain Toad: Ground Zeroes one step closer to reality I'm all for it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But SMB3 was never released on GC. Got ya! Entire opinion invalidated. Unless you're saying you played Super Mario Bros. Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 on the GBA player. drat, foiled again! You win this round.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

greatn posted:

But SMB3 was never released on GC. Got ya! Entire opinion invalidated. Unless you're saying you played Super Mario Bros. Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 on the GBA player. drat, foiled again! You win this round.

I really just want a dedicated account that says "you bought SMB3, and you can play it forever on all and future Nintendo devices"

basically Nintendo should just make a Super PS4 and turn it into a 1TB steam machine and offer every game possible from their catalog on a digital menu for purchase

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think there's probably a 0.0% chance of them doing an outside hire. Is a negative percentage possible? We'll go with that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MinibarMatchman posted:

I really just want a dedicated account that says "you bought SMB3, and you can play it forever on all and future Nintendo devices"
We'll keep repurchasing Punch Out and SMB3 until the end of time.

A unified catalog/account system means they'd have to try to improve the originals somehow with each attempt to reap our wallets.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Put Sakamoto in charge Nintendo

Don't actually do this Nintendo

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Lord Lambeth posted:

Put Sakamoto in charge Nintendo

Don't actually do this Nintendo
One upside would be that if he's running the company he's not actually making games. :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Put the yarn yoshi lady in charge.

"I wanted to help with this game, but I am not an artist, have no programming skills, am not trained in business, and do not know how to use a computer, so I went home and began to bake cookies in the shape of a disc. That's why the next Mario game is cookie Mario, and the box contains a cookie instead of a disc. Please do not eat it until after you finish the game."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's pretty much was what Apple was doing with Jobs to begin with though, a new product every once in a while but otherwise they just continue improving on what they have. Loosely analogous to how Nintendo has done mid cycle revisions to the portables, big difference being that Apple had the whole software and development stack figured better to not have to reset the software/dev side every generation.

What made me hopeful about Iwata's plans (from what he's said in investor meetings/Q&As at least) is that he understood the issues with that and it sounded like they were actively addressing it, along with the online stuff with DeNA, and generally a lot of stuff that's been holding them back for a while. My biggest concern is if others in the company don't fully see/understand what he had in mind in the long run with all that, like beyond NX.

greatn posted:

I really hope but severely doubt Reggie Fils-Aime gets put in charge. I feel like he understands the needs of non Japanese consumers much better, but also really understands and respects Nintendo's creative philosophy and wouldn't betray it. And when he says Iwata became a personal friend I believe him. There's like zero chance though.
Yeah I doubt it'd happen, but if they were ever going to consider hiring outside of Japan he'd be the only option cause he's been with the company for a while now and knows how they work. And I just realized timeframe wise he got hired not that long after Iwata got promoted.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

Yes and the toilet levers are all missing, people have to scour desk drawers/supply rooms for one that fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean I guess New 3DS is kind of like an iPhone iteration, where 99% of games still work on both devices but the games take advantage of the new 3DS' specs to run/load/look better. Maybe they could continue in that trend, but I wouldn't want them to do it every year. My iPad 3 is only three years old and it's right at the point where Apple is going to cut it out of the next iOS.

I also wonder how long they will continue to do dual-screen handhelds. The next piece of hardware should certainly be powerful enough to output a second screen to a TV if you wanted to do backwards compatibility with DS/3DS titles. And the Vita was such good fuckin hardware to hold and play with, even though it was a miserable failure on the software side. But I dunno. Nintendo might feel the clamshell works best as a device that kids also play on, for durability's sake.

• Locked thread