Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RabidWeasel posted:

Space Dandy is objectively fantastic, how could you not like it?

I didn't dislike it. It just didn't seem to have much substance. I should get back to it eventually - I think I saw 3 episodes.

Psycho Pass was late 2012, and is actually the bar for the show I'm looking for: passable with some undeniably interesting ideas.

Did anybody see the GitS:Arise tv re-release (Alternative Architecture)? Is that worth a rewatch? I found the original fine, if not particularly close to SAC. I'm not sure how much new content there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
While I don't think Space Dandy is ultimately what you're looking for, it's worth noting that the first three episodes are easily the worst and the whole show improves dramatically afterwards.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Aldnoah was a decent sci-fi thing. The writing was pretty silly at times, but it was a fun watch.

Also I'll second SBY2199. I thought it was fantastic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would never describe anything about Knights of Sidonia as "well done" except for the manga art. It's interesting to watch as a kind of experiment in what happens when you push an author with narrow writing skills out of his comfort zone and he thrashes around and looks for excuses to get back to doing what he does best.
Eh nah its a really fun, interesting manga at least. I love the designs and the Gauna are pretty terrifying. You might not enjoy it and that's cool but it's not bad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's a generic harem show elevated only by the novelty value of the setting and the best girl and who's drawing it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you say so, dude

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I mean, what do you want me to say? The characters are super-simple, and the protagonist especially is dull as dishwater, and it's not Blame! or something where the interpersonal drama can take a backseat to gorgeous new environments every chapter; it's mostly set in utility hallways and outer space, and the anime sucks a lot of the grungy, lived-in look out of the cooler locations like the living quarters tower.

e: I actually do enjoy it, because Izana's okay as a secondary protagonist and Tsumugi's role is delivered with such a straight face that it can't help being funny. But that's a pretty thin thread to hang a series by.

e2: I'm gonna catch up on the rest of the second season right now and see if it does anything to change my mind.

e3: Both OPs are good, I forgot about that. First one is better, though.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 13, 2015

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Rinkles posted:

the bar for the show I'm looking for: passable with some undeniably interesting ideas.
While these two argue about Knights of Sidonia, you should watch Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

While these two argue about Knights of Sidonia, you should watch Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World.

Confirming that this is the correct course of action

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Did anybody see the GitS:Arise tv re-release (Alternative Architecture)? Is that worth a rewatch? I found the original fine, if not particularly close to SAC. I'm not sure how much new content there is.

I thought Arise was pretty lackluster, but I've also been wondering about the TV series, particularly the new content towards the end of it. Worthwhile at all?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"Necessity dictated that human society quickly became a society of love, like bonobos."

I could do without the ever present backdrop of teenage school life, but this looks alright.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheEye posted:

I thought Arise was pretty lackluster, but I've also been wondering about the TV series, particularly the new content towards the end of it. Worthwhile at all?
GitS:SAC is pretty amazing and easily the best portion of the entire GitS franchise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

GitS:SAC is pretty amazing and easily the best portion of the entire GitS franchise.

They turned the Arise OVA's into a TV format by splitting them all into two-parters and adding a little extra at the end. I can't comment on the new content as I haven't seen it though. Or the latter half of the OVA's because Madman haven't released the second Blu-Ray collection yet :argh:.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

Or the anime medium, for that matter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They turned the Arise OVA's into a TV format by splitting them all into two-parters and adding a little extra at the end. I can't comment on the new content as I haven't seen it though. Or the latter half of the OVA's because Madman haven't released the second Blu-Ray collection yet :argh:.
Oh, that's dumb.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Re: arise i thought the first ova was pretty great and the next three were kinda mediocre stand alone episodes. So it makes sense they edited them into a mediocre tv series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

"Necessity dictated that human society quickly became a society of love, like bonobos."

I could do without the ever present backdrop of teenage school life, but this looks alright.

They don't stay teens for long. The show progresses between various points in their lives, showing us the pivotal events that shape them.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I think the animation style works for the anime version of Sidonia if you look at it from the point of view that humanity's been floating around in space for a long rear end time doing god knows what to keep them going genetically, so naturally it's weird as poo poo CG animation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I think the animation style works for the anime version of Sidonia if you look at it from the point of view that humanity's been floating around in space for a long rear end time doing god knows what to keep them going genetically, so naturally it's weird as poo poo CG animation.

This excuse works much better for Kaiba.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The CGI works fine for the space battles: CGI is good at letting geometric objects flying around other geometric objects as the camera swings and zooms and shakes.

The CGI doesn't work so good for depicting human beings. And no, they're not that weird, they eat onigiri and wield katanas and wear yukatas to tanabatas. The characters culturally resemble the audience. So the creepy plasticine people is a failing of the animation style, not a strength.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Kaiba is extremely good by the way, anyone who may have been put off by the "Astro Boy on acid" art owes it to themselves to watch it.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can someone recommend me a shounen with a shitload of episodes that also has character development

EDIT: Something on Netflix or Crunchyroll would be ideal since those are the only sources of ANIMES I have.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hunter x Hunter

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Hunter x Hunter

What he said.

Also Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood if you somehow haven't already seen it.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Seen all of both :(

Hunter x Hunter is my 2nd favorite after Gurren Lagen.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
You could watch one piece. I mean it's just 701 episodes, should be pretty quick. There is development but as you might have guessed it takes time.

Somebody, help, I have watched 701 episodes of a thing.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

You could watch Gintama. It's mostly humour but there are some serious arcs with some character development. It does take about 30 episodes to go from mediocre to good though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

You could watch Gintama. It's mostly humour but there are some serious arcs with some character development. It does take about 30 episodes to go from mediocre to good though.

If you want an idea of how a typical story arc goes, I suggest episode 110. It's a self-contained episode with a good mix of the series' staple comedic elements and a (more the most part) feel-good ending.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

utamaru posted:

You could watch one piece. I mean it's just 701 episodes, should be pretty quick. There is development but as you might have guessed it takes time.

Somebody, help, I have watched 701 episodes of a thing.
As many including me will point out, the pacing of the anime shits down its own leg about halfway through the enies lobby arc. The best course of action with one piece is to read the manga. It's very well paced outside of (arguably) skypiea, and the adventure Oda has managed to tell at this point is almost second to none. Plus the omnibuses are available from amazon for an average of 9-12 bucks; 3-4 bucks a volume, and there's omnibuses up to volume 42 available at this point. Or just read lovely garbage scanlations idk

Most folks recommend reading up through the along park arc to get a good feel for the real setting of the series, everything prior to that is just basic character recruitment arcs.

I would also recommend Zatch Bell, though the anime for that peters out an arc or two before the real ending. The two-part attack spreads the artist likes to do in the manga are often really awesome, too, and it's genuinely funny a lot of the time. It absolutely embodies Shonen tropes in every way, but does almost all of them fantastically well. It's good poo poo.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

I'm not going to dispute any of that, and haven't personally read the manga. If skypiea was long there it would explain a lot.

I think I'm buying into the Gintama Hype, after I've confirmed with my own eyes how psycho-pass gets lovely.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Can someone recommend me a shounen with a shitload of episodes that also has character development

EDIT: Something on Netflix or Crunchyroll would be ideal since those are the only sources of ANIMES I have.

Fist of the North Star.

But not Fist of the North Star 2.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I'm checking out One Piece and it's pretty enjoyable right from the start. Luffy is great. Still need to watch more Bleach but I wanteed a break. Thanks everyone!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm checking out One Piece and it's pretty enjoyable right from the start. Luffy is great. Still need to watch more Bleach but I wanteed a break. Thanks everyone!

you really don't need to watch more bleach.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
im the guy who watched 200 episodes of bleach when he was younger because he didn't understand how anime worked yet

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

At least they picked a name that warned you that consuming it was a bad idea.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DamnGlitch posted:

you really don't need to watch more bleach.

It never gets better

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i wonder exactly what made me stop. i think i just gave up caring during one of the fights with the mexican hellhole gang

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

That Works posted:

It never gets better

The early part of the Fullbringer arc was OK, and there's even some individual scenes of the current arc that are good.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Watched LOGH, it was a good show (other than Terraism, which was pretty lame compared to everything else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Mors Rattus posted:

At least they picked a name that warned you that consuming it was a bad idea.
This is my new favorite anime-related joke.

Thank you.

• Locked thread