Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

some texas redneck posted:

I feel like a few tons of bricks just got dropped on my head.

"Mom" and "cancer" are not words you ever want to hear in the same sentence.

I'm going to go find a dark corner to curl up in for a bit.

Jesus I'm so sorry dude. :sympathy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

drat dude, Ive been there and it wickedly sucks :(

On another note does it mean that Im getting old when I hear an artist that I like has a new album when they talk about it on NPR? This isnt the first time its happened, haha.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fart Pipe posted:

drat dude, Ive been there and it wickedly sucks :(

On another note does it mean that Im getting old when I hear an artist that I like has a new album when they talk about it on NPR? This isnt the first time its happened, haha.

Nah, NPR has surprisingly excellent taste in music. A lot of their interstitials are super loving rad.

Sucks about the cancer, STR...my mom had a mastectomy last year and is currently going through chemo. Keep your chin up - there's literally nothing you can do but be there for her.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

:(

That's just terrible man.

I have no other words. gently caress cancer.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The Midniter posted:

Nah, NPR has surprisingly excellent taste in music. A lot of their interstitials are super loving rad.

Yea there are a couple of interstials I need to look up from TLA, they have some great ones and Im in a new music slump right now.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

drat STR, keep your head up. Cancer is terrible, but it's also beatable.

CornHolio posted:

Alright guys, weird-rear end issue on my 850.

Loud buzzer noise, like an apartment buzzer, and that's the sound.

Saw your video on snappenischat, and that's hilarious.

First thing I'd do is lift the front up and just go jack stand racing and see if it's tied to your vehicle speed directly. Could be some PO fuckery that enabled itself somehow. I could see some parent putting a loud annoying buzzer on their teens car for when it goes above a certain speed.

If that works then start pulling fuses to see which system it's tied into.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

BraveUlysses posted:

Fuuuuck working with micromanagers. My lead is digging through my outlook calendar and inviting himself to my meetings.

gently caress micromanagers because all of my employees expect it from me. I hate the aspect of management where they constantly expect me to be up in their poo poo, checking their work, and delegating tasks. We're grown rear end adults. I will teach my team how to shill cars, and I will be constantly trying to help them improve their game, but I'm tired of them acting like they can't police themselves.

I've actually grown to resent managing a little bit because right now I just want to be left alone to sell cars. I don't want to look at spreadsheets, I don't want to go to meetings, and I don't want to make small talk with coworkers. I just want to do work.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

As a person watching both my father and sister undergoing chemotherapy for different cancers (prostate and mesothelioma, respectively), if you're looking for someone to talk to hit me up any time. I can shoot you my number via PM. I certainly don't have all the answers, or any answers, but I do know many of the feelings you're probably having.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

goatse guy posted:

gently caress micromanagers because all of my employees expect it from me. I hate the aspect of management where they constantly expect me to be up in their poo poo, checking their work, and delegating tasks. We're grown rear end adults. I will teach my team how to shill cars, and I will be constantly trying to help them improve their game, but I'm tired of them acting like they can't police themselves.

I've actually grown to resent managing a little bit because right now I just want to be left alone to sell cars. I don't want to look at spreadsheets, I don't want to go to meetings, and I don't want to make small talk with coworkers. I just want to do work.

worst part is that he did it and then played coy about it--even had the audacity to ask me if I'm going to the meeting I created.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

STR you just have the shittiest luck, man. If there's such a thing as karma then it loving owes you. Sorry to hear about your mom bro. :/

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This is why I gave up my "white collar" work and went back to being a grunt. Life is easy, I just go out and do poo poo.

To glasses/contact wearing goons: I have been getting patches of light headedness and dizziness. I suspect my contacts/glasses are out of whack, I last had my vision checked in March 2014... Would it be a safe bet I need to get it done soon? I thought vision was a 2 year thing, because they always give me a 2 year glasses/contact script. I mean, I could be wrong, but I figured hey if they say 2 years, I'm not going again for 2 years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wear glasses and have had my prescription shift all over the place (I've been moving from mostly nearsighted to less nearsighted, more astigmatism in recent years) but I've never had symptoms like that from a change in prescription. I'd get my rear end to the regular doctor before an optometrist for those symptoms.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cakefool posted:

So the AI unicorn? :v: Looks fantastic.

Who owned it before you? Is it an auto?

5-speed

Bajaha posted:

Saw your video on snappenischat, and that's hilarious.

First thing I'd do is lift the front up and just go jack stand racing and see if it's tied to your vehicle speed directly. Could be some PO fuckery that enabled itself somehow. I could see some parent putting a loud annoying buzzer on their teens car for when it goes above a certain speed.

If that works then start pulling fuses to see which system it's tied into.

It was owned by a single dude for most of its life, who worked at a Volvo dealership. I've owned the car for six years and while there's a bunch of weird poo poo (including an aftermarket alarm, but I know exactly how that sounds...) I haven't come across anything that I would think this would be a part of.

I'm probably going to look at the wiring diagrams when I get home and start pulling fuses, but it's going to be "pull a fuse, take it up past fifty, pull a fuse, take it up past fifty..." until I find it.

If I remember, tonight, I'll post a video of it triggering right at fifty.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 14, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wear glasses and have had my prescription shift all over the place (I've been moving from mostly nearsighted to less nearsighted, more astigmatism in recent years) but I've never had symptoms like that from a change in prescription. I'd get my rear end to the regular doctor before an optometrist for those symptoms.

I've been to the doctor twice. 3 sets of blood work, 2 ct scans. Every thing is perfect.

The only reason I'm thinking vision is it happens after staring at a computer screen for over 30 minutes.

The only other thing I could attribute it to is I came off lexapro about a month ago, but that stuff should have filtered out of my system by now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ah, so you've been to the regular doctor first. Then yeah, I'd probably try the optometrist.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Terrible Robot posted:

Curious if you ever figured out what it is I'm doing wrong. I'm sure it's something obvious and dumb. I am not good with computer.

Sorry, I wasn't anywhere close to getting home when I posted that. I grabbed the Civic Del Sol off the BeamNG forums and just dropped it into "C:\Users\<your_username>\Documents\BeamNG.drive\mods" and it loaded up just fine. Are you sure you're not on the old experimental branch? That's been phased out.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

BraveUlysses posted:

worst part is that he did it and then played coy about it--even had the audacity to ask me if I'm going to the meeting I created.

Our new new car manager loves meetings. I don't know what they're about being I never go to them, and I'm sure they're full of valuable information and his rah-rah-rah cheerleading management style, and he's really good at leading a team and getting me stoked to sell a ton of cars, but sometimes I look at how many emails how many emails I get for meetings and am like, shouldn't we be calling customers to get them in here to buy cars? That's mostly my team's job, but if people need customers to call I will find them some.

There's a lot of ridiculous drama going on at work, because the salesmen are paranoid that the managers are giving spoon deals to two salesmen -- for the rest of you, that means the managers are doing all of the legwork on a deal and then giving those easy closes out to those two salespeople. I don't see it at all, but it doesn't stop the rest of the sales floor from stopping at my desk to bitch about it. It's gotten to the point where they sound like a bunch of tinfoil hats complaining about lizard people.

The Miata is so goddamn awesome. It's a nice distraction from work.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

CornHolio posted:

If I remember, tonight, I'll post a video of it triggering right at fifty.

Couldn't be one of these could it?

https://www.bridgwater-electronics.co.uk/speedgenie-speed-alarm/c18

Also gently caress cancer :( Hope you are coping ok STR :glomp:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

...I guess so? I haven't seen a button like that nor pressed one, and I've had the car for six years and that doesn't look like it'd be six years old, but it could be that or something similar.

edit: Here is the snapchat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq2A50oYKM

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 14, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

goatse guy posted:

There's a lot of ridiculous drama going on at work, because the salesmen are paranoid that the managers are giving spoon deals to two salesmen

I'm pretty sure this is a fear in every sales organization ever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

gently caress micromanagers because all of my employees expect it from me. I hate the aspect of management where they constantly expect me to be up in their poo poo, checking their work, and delegating tasks.
Thank you. I find it really hard to get across "I do not immediately expect results but I do expect for you to make my life easier so go figure things out for yourself because that is your job thank you."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That sucks so much.

I've lost several family members and a close friend to cancer. It makes me feel so goddamn powerless.

Just hang in there, and be there for her. It's the most important thing to do, because it's going to take all her strength and then some. You must provide that extra strength she needs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

poo poo sucks STR, hopefully everything works out.

On managers, you can also have the flip side of a micromanager where my manager lives in a bubble. First time I'll hear about an issue is at end of year review and by then its too late to correct. I'm off the rest of the week starting tomorrow and yesterday I somehow managed to fit in two days worth of work and I'm still behind today from so much poo poo being sent in. Despite her asking and me communicating this to her she's still sending me poo poo to work on. Hope she has fun reassigning all that stuff plus more tomorrow.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sorry to hear that STR. Prostate cancer seems to run in my family. My grandpa died from it a few years ago and my uncle recently caught it early enough that they were able to operate successfully. My dad is pretty good about getting checked but it is still terrifying to think of. Best of luck buddy.

So I think I got heat stroke or some poo poo today at work. I got mad dizzy and almost fell off my ladder. I climbed down and started breathing heavy like I had just run around. Found my way to the bathroom and started dry heaving. Now my head hurts. Drank about a gallon of water at work today and am still getting my H20 on. Luckily the 3 of us have been killing this job and saving the company about $1500/wk in regards to their bids so my foreman let me take off early.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

To be fair to the kid, I didn't give a poo poo about cars until I was 16 or so. My dad used to tell me about his 42 Ford he sold to buy me a bedroom, take me offroading in his old Bronco etc. and it was all lost on me. My mom tried to get me interested in my neighbor's 60s fastback Mustang and I saw it as old and smelly. I really thought of cars as appliances, or videogame super-things until I got my first one (1997 Seville SLS) and tried flooring that big old dumb V8 on a long, wide interchange at night. Once it hit 110 and I got scared I was hooked.

AI confessions....

From a few pages back, but I've been into cars as long as I can remember, and have the drawings and toys to prove it. I've probably (sadly) lost more Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars than I have now, and I have hundreds. Sadly, because the ones I lost would be vintage now. It helped that my parents had a '60s Plymouth cop car when I was very young, and upgraded from that to a '70 SS 396 Chevelle in 1974. Those were my mom's cars. Dad had a '57 Chevy 4-door when they got married, but the first car I remember was his '55 Chevy Bel Aire hardtop, which he still has. It's not run in probably 30 years, and looks pretty sad, but it's all there, and it's still his. He had another'55, but that one disappeared about the time the Chevelle showed up.
The Chevelle was sold during the '80s for a Pontiac G-body wagon, and then some other unexciting stuff. Dad had a few other neat things, but since about '78 has driven pickup trucks.
Point is, I've been surrounded by those, and several of my uncles' hot rods and muscle cars all my life, and have been very aware of all of it. And love it. Helped dad with pretty much everything from oil changes to rebuilds, whenever possible. Car shows, drag races - oh! Almost forgot to mention that our next door neighbor in the mid to late '70s drove an alcohol dragster, and I was over there pocking around on the thing whenever I could. His son was and still is my best friend, and it's fun to talk with him (the drag racer) about the early days of rails and drag racing in general.
I wish I had enough $$ to play around more, but I'm interested in so many things as well as cars that it divides my wallet as well as my attention.

Geirskogul posted:

I didn't give a poo poo about cars until I was 20 or so. Now I love them so much I'm spending stacks on stacks on stacks on avatars for a movie that worships the car in hope that my love can spread to those over the internet.

Oh, hey, welcome to the Supercharger Avatar brigade, buddy!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I've always enjoyed things that move or have some mechanism in them. Be cars, small engines, etc... If I can make it move, I'm interested.
Lego's were my first foray and I used to have tons of Lego technics (the bricks with holes) and was always making some kind of contraption out of it.

Ditto. Bicycles, motorbikes, go-carts...
Not only Lego (I was AMAZED when the Technics came out, then they topped that with Expert Builder!), but I had multiple Tinkertoy and Erector sets. And Lincoln Logs, for that matter. And several competing-with-Lego brick systems. Built all kinds of stuff with all of them. Still have most of the Lego around here somewhere.

goatse guy posted:

I owned a black 1995 with the popular options package from 2010 to 2012. This one is much nicer though. My last one was kind of a rusty turd.

That license plate is perfect.
e: F, b

Oh, gently caress. No, they're not. Hang in there, duder.

Siochain posted:

I have no other words. gently caress cancer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

:glomp: drat man I don't know who you pissed off in a previous life but gently caress cancer. We're here so vent as needed.

goatse guy posted:

Our new new car manager loves meetings. I don't know what they're about being I never go to them, and I'm sure they're full of valuable information and his rah-rah-rah cheerleading management style, and he's really good at leading a team and getting me stoked to sell a ton of cars, but sometimes I look at how many emails how many emails I get for meetings and am like, shouldn't we be calling customers to get them in here to buy cars? That's mostly my team's job, but if people need customers to call I will find them some.
Everyone in management and up loves meetings, makes them feel important and like they're accomplishing things. I used to attend every meeting and conference call they offered me and wasted a poo poo load of time. Now they know I won't attend unless they get in touch with me ahead of time and specifically tell me why I should be there. Now if I'm on a call it's for a reason.

In happier news Kingsman is a pretty good movie.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I've entertained the notion of picking up a cheap RX8, rebuilding the engine and making a toy out of it. Should I be sent to the asylum immediately?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Farking Bastage posted:

I've entertained the notion of picking up a cheap RX8, rebuilding the engine and making a toy out of it. Should I be sent to the asylum immediately?

Well this is Automotive INSANITY

...but yes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Farking Bastage posted:

Yes.
But its mostly a goodn kind of crazy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Farking Bastage posted:

You mean LS swap right? cause that's the way to go

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Farking Bastage posted:

Some dude in my area did an LS swap.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
That's probably a hell of a lot simpler than porting and turbo'ing a rotary

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's pretty awesome when horrible people have bad things happen to them.

There's this woman who used to be in my circle of friends, she got the boot for assaulting someone's girlfriend in a jealous rage about 5 year ago. Well a year ago the guy she was seeing died in a bike accident. (Some of you may recall me posting about that fuckstick). Well today we find out that not only was e loving around on her but he knocked that girl up and she chose the anniversary of his death to tell the "girlfriend" that her boy had left his seed behind to someone else and the girl I know is having the most amazing meltdown on other people's FB statuses right now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Rhyno posted:

It's pretty awesome when horrible people have bad things happen to them.

There's this woman who used to be in my circle of friends, she got the boot for assaulting someone's girlfriend in a jealous rage about 5 year ago. Well a year ago the guy she was seeing died in a bike accident. (Some of you may recall me posting about that fuckstick). Well today we find out that not only was e loving around on her but he knocked that girl up and she chose the anniversary of his death to tell the "girlfriend" that her boy had left his seed behind to someone else and the girl I know is having the most amazing meltdown on other people's FB statuses right now.

how can you post this but not post screenshots of it? DOIT

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

how can you post this but not post screenshots of it? DOIT

She's commenting on random statuses of our mutual friends, like this guy Dan I know has a post about voter reform and she posted "DID YOU KNOW CHRIS WAS CHEATING ON ME YOU gently caress?" It's not really worth screen capping, just that she's flipping out so bad is funny as hell.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Liar, that's totally worth screen capping.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really thought I reached the pinnacle of Facebook and quit after seeing nerd friend with anger issues from high school's girlfriend gets knocked up by high school pot dealer while he's half way across the country.

Now I'm not so sure.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Its coming up on new car time and I have narrowed it down to two cars, so C63 or Miata PRHT club?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

1500quidporsche posted:

I really thought I reached the pinnacle of Facebook and quit after seeing nerd friend with anger issues from high school's girlfriend gets knocked up by high school pot dealer while he's half way across the country.

Now I'm not so sure.

Well I have a skill for finding terrible people to be friends with so I'm never at a loss for hilarious drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Whenever I get caught up on all my random non-monthly bills I get more poo poo in the mail that I forgot about. I dunno how my parents did it all these years.

• Locked thread