Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Zorbs are rad as hell and I want to open up a year-round place in the US that is nothing but Zorb shenanigans, like soccer, bowling, downhill races, etc. All of the cool parks are in Australia. I don't know if any more exist in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Zorbs are indeed cool. I did one of the downhill-full-of-water ones in New Zealand and it was like being on an endless, bumpy waterslide. Pretty sure most of the places in the US were closed due to liability laws.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

kedo posted:

Zorbs are indeed cool. I did one of the downhill-full-of-water ones in New Zealand and it was like being on an endless, bumpy waterslide. Pretty sure most of the places in the US were closed due to liability laws.

Yeah one of the dudes from Nitro Circus snapped his ankle in half in one of those, I think. hosed his leg up for a long time. They own but they can be pretty dangerous

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah one of the dudes from Nitro Circus snapped his ankle in half in one of those, I think. hosed his leg up for a long time. They own but they can be pretty dangerous

There's also an horrible video of people going off a cliff in one of those on a Russian ski slope :/

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Haha that guy on the ATV smashing and just running off is great. He's lucky hes not paralyzed.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

:3: :3: :3:

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dork baby.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Thanks Mr Internet

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Oh good, they're starting to make nerds in a size better suited to shoving into a locker.

:3:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Oh, Magoo, you've done it again!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
How do you even know a kid that size needs glasses? And how do you figure out the right prescription? These questions keep me up at night.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

How do you even know a kid that size needs glasses? And how do you figure out the right prescription? These questions keep me up at night.

Babies get lots of regular checkups, and eyes are one of the many things checked. If the pediatrician notices something wrong with the eyes, the child is refered to an optomitrist who specializes in children.

Sentmassen
Oct 17, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Babies get lots of regular checkups, and eyes are one of the many things checked. If the pediatrician notices something wrong with the eyes, the child is refered to an optomitrist who specializes in children.

Seeing as how your average eye checkup requires you to read off letters, and telling the optometrist which lenses are better, the question remains.

My father was effectively blind till he was Six. My grandfather was trying to play catch with my father but he was pissed that my father wasn't even making the effort to catch the drat baseball. My father's reply that he "couldn't see the ball" won him a quick trip to the eye doctor courtesy of my newly terrified grandparents.

Sentmassen has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Jul 15, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sentmassen posted:

Seeing as how your average eye checkup requires you to read off letters, and telling the optometrist which lenses are better, the question remains.

Maybe in the stone age but these days, you put your face up to the box and look at the blurry hot air balloon and then about two seconds later it goes crisp and now they know your prescription.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Less Fat Luke posted:

From what I read about that particular cutie (I'm on my tablet and can't check easily right now), she had a genetic issue that included poor eyesight as a known symptom. That answers your first question, at least: They saw it coming expected her to need them pretty much out of the gate, so to speak.

That first big smile is her seeing her mom for the first time, I think. :3:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

they are giving their child the gift ad uninhibited site and they choose to do it at.... Flipdaddy's.. burgers and craft beers...

SMH

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It's a fake, guys. Clearly viral advertising. SMH bunch a sheeple

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bad Munki posted:

Maybe in the stone age but these days, you put your face up to the box and look at the blurry hot air balloon and then about two seconds later it goes crisp and now they know your prescription.

This. The sit-down "Which is better? 1, or 2?" type checkup is basically to confirm what the machine already says, or to diagnose anything more complex than standard "bad eyesight".

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sentmassen posted:

My father was effectively blind till he was Six. My grandfather was trying to play catch with my father but he was pissed that my father wasn't even making the effort to catch the drat baseball. My father's reply that he "couldn't see the ball" won him a quick trip to the eye doctor courtesy of my newly terrified grandparents.

This was me as a kid. I had no idea trees had leaves. I just thought the world was full of horrible blobs, until I got close enough.

First pair of glasses was :aaaaa:

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Less Fat Luke posted:

And how do you figure out the right prescription?

They used a laser and measured the deviance of the reflection through the pupil somehow. I don't know. Science.

Edit:

Reddit posted:

It's called retinoscopy. You shine a narrow beam through the pupil and focus it on the retina. Then you move the beam up and down. If the beam moves up or down on the retina too fast or too slow compared to your own movement then you know the lens/cornea is not focusing light directly on the retina and the baby is either myopic or hyperopic (nearsighted or farsighted). Then you simply do the same exercise but put different lenses in front of the baby's eye until you get the correct movement of the beam on the retina.

HBomb
Sep 26, 2004

All aboard.

Less Fat Luke posted:

According to the news article that I'm too lazy to post, the kid was delayed in crawling, so the parents brought it up at her next checkup, whereupon it was discovered that the child is extremely farsighted. +7 on one eye and +9 in the other, which I don't know what that means.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

HBomb posted:

According to the news article that I'm too lazy to post, the kid was delayed in crawling, so the parents brought it up at her next checkup, whereupon it was discovered that the child is extremely farsighted. +7 on one eye and +9 in the other, which I don't know what that means.

That's pretty crazy bad for a baby. As a grown adult (as in my eyes were no longer growing) before getting lasered I was -9 and -12 which can be characterized as "incredibly loving bad." A baby's eyes are likely to only grow to be worse, not better, and that's a pretty terrible starting point.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HBomb posted:

Kid can ready candy wrappers dropped on the goddamn moon.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Loss Retry?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Kid's got B^U syndrome

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Trying to fake out the kid with a pop-tart?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
The one with the blink and smile is really cute he's like a mini Bubbles who just saw a kitty.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

VendaGoat posted:

This was me as a kid. I had no idea trees had leaves. I just thought the world was full of horrible blobs, until I got close enough.

First pair of glasses was :aaaaa:

Same here. The first person to call me "four eyes" also wore glasses.

Later as an adult, he got arrested (while in drag) for assaulting a police office who was working security at a gay nightclub.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Mister Kingdom posted:

Same here. The first person to call me "four eyes" also wore glasses.

Later as an adult, he got arrested for assaulting a police office who was working security at a nightclub.

It's amazing how easily a story could be made less problematic. In the case it would have been even easier because it involved less typing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Birb Katter posted:

It's amazing how easily a story could be made less problematic. In the case it would have been even easier because it involved less typing.

Um, what?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

he thinks that 'gay' is like the n-word

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
:jerky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Hogge Wild posted:

he thinks that 'gay' is like the n-word

Ah, I see. Well, at the time (early 80s), that's what they (as in the owners) called it.