Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VikingofRock posted:

I'm so lost here. What does the moon have to do with Allah and what do volcanoes have to do with Yahweh?

People claim that Allah is derived from an Arabic moon god in order to further delegitimize Islam. Since it's just another pagan deity, Islam totally can't actually be a monotheistic religion based on the real god worshiped by Christians.

Yahweh as a volcano god is likely a reaction to those arguments, pointing out that Yahweh also has polytheistic pagan roots. It's tied with Yahweh's angry temperament and ties to holy mountains among other things. You can also argue that he was a storm god or war god. There's also a fun argument that he's a derivative of an Egyptian moon god, Yah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The crescent, or star-and-crescent is a common symbol for Islamic groups and people take it to mean, sometimes ironically and sometimes not, that Muslims worship a moon god.

No, you have to say it like MOON GOD!? or it doesn't count.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I knew a witch that said both Easter and Christmas were jacked from pagans. The original holidays celebrated the winter solstice and spring equinox.

E: sorry I'm in a space mood today.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

A Winner is Jew posted:

And you would think of all people Maher would like it when christians were murdered.

* starts applying "the good ones" logic *

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Heh, so remember those national monuments Obama unveiled last week? The one in Nevada that Reid backed just so happens to block the proposed railway route to Yucca Mountain.

Well played

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

I knew a witch that said both Easter and Christmas were jacked from pagans. The original holidays celebrated the winter solstice and spring equinox.

Well, she was just saying that because it's Historically True. Easter is literally named after a pagan goddess, Eostre.

Fried Chicken posted:

Heh, so remember those national monuments Obama unveiled last week? The one in Nevada that Reid backed just so happens to block the proposed railway route to Yucca Mountain.

Well played

I thought Reid was pro-Yucca Mt?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Reid's basically the only thing that stopped Yucca.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DemeaninDemon posted:

She's not wrong.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

(null)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fried Chicken posted:

Well played

I'll never understand why people are so afraid of the idea of a bunch of stupid waste buried deep beneath lovely land that nobody ever goes to. :hydrogen: ~ATOMS~ :hydrogen:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How are u posted:

I'll never understand why people are so afraid of the idea of a bunch of stupid waste buried deep beneath lovely land that nobody ever goes to. :hydrogen: ~ATOMS~ :hydrogen:

What about our troglodytic ancestors who, 10000 years after emerging into a world destroyed by the Great Bad Day stumble across some unearthed spent fuel rods and begin to worship them as gods?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

Christianity worships the moon. The day Easter falls on comes from the lunar cycle.

I'm sure other important Islamic and Jewish dates fall out of the moon's butt too.

Literally every Jewish religious date is derived from the lunar cycle because they're all determined by a lunar calendar.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DemeaninDemon posted:

Christianity worships the moon. The day Easter falls on comes from the lunar cycle.

I'm sure other important Islamic and Jewish dates fall out of the moon's butt too.
The (almost) 28 day lunar cycle is also responsible for the 7 days of the week, or at least in my head canon it is.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

How are u posted:

"Hey you know we privatized a lot of prisons and made beaucoup cash by cutting corners. Maybe if we applied that to waste disposal we could turn a quick profit there too."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

(null)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

How are u posted:

Well there are some concerns that Yucca Mt. won't function as advertised, but most of those problems could be solved if the government actually got involved with it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

What the poo poo
Edit: I keep trying to post a link and Reid quote and it posts NULL instead

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

What about our troglodytic ancestors who, 10000 years after emerging into a world destroyed by the Great Bad Day stumble across some unearthed spent fuel rods and begin to worship them as gods?

It worked out well for Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Who worships the moon god now?!?!?!?!!??!!??!?!!?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dpbjinc posted:

I've never understand how having a moon god is seen as a bad thing in the first place. Nobody complains about sun gods or earth gods or weather gods or anything like that, just moon gods. Why do they have to be such deists, man?

Well, the Bible does specifically say not to worship celestial objects :ssh:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

Well, she was just saying that because it's Historically True. Easter is literally named after a pagan goddess, Eostre.

that's not what the holiday is called in greek/latin though

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Well, the Bible does specifically say not to worship celestial objects :ssh:

No one wants to worship your mother, CommieGIR.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

No one wants to worship your mother, CommieGIR.

Bu...but her orbit :qq:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Bu...but her orbit :qq:

True she was the reason Pluto got demoted from planet.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

On that day metal truly will have conquered the Earth.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Reid's basically the only thing that stopped Yucca.

Ain't no body want that in their backyard.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is Yucca revivable, post Reid?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

pangstrom posted:

not likely.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That's too bad. Or maybe irrelevant, I don't know I haven't kept up with that topic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pangstrom posted:

Sadly, not likely...

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Radioactive contamination is just about the least nasty form of pollution there is. It's definitely preferable to heavy metal poisoning or carcinogens in your water. Hope you like leukemia and brain damage now that you're drinking water tainted with heavy metals and indeterminate hydrocarbons

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

pangstrom posted:

Didn't one of Reid's stall tactics involve a really extensive USGS survey that then revealed there was an underground river or fault line that went right under Yucca or something?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It will be buried in Texas, as TX pols continue to nullify federal law. It belongs somewhere, nuclear owns, and the only complaint against it is waste, literally any other complaint smacks of Luddite.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

pangstrom posted:

That's too bad. Or maybe irrelevant, I don't know I haven't kept up with that topic.

Uh no, not remotely irrelevant. If/when a big disaster becomes a huge huge disaster because it hits a "temporary" waste storage facility there's going to be a lot of people asking how we didn't see this enormously obvious, preventable disaster. There won't be a good answer.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Use it as railgun ammo to destroy Confederate monuments.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why don't we just give the nuclear waste to Iran, then everybody gets what they want.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

berzerker posted:

Uh no, not remotely irrelevant. If/when a big disaster becomes a huge huge disaster because it hits a "temporary" waste storage facility there's going to be a lot of people asking how we didn't see this enormously obvious, preventable disaster. There won't be a good answer.

"Ask the loving hippies," works for me.

An Angry Bug posted:

Use it as railgun ammo to destroy Confederate monuments.

:sherman:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

berzerker posted:

I just meant maybe there's some other place that's the new target/being NIMBY'd and Yucca is irrelevant in that sense. Obviously doing ad hoc stuff with nuclear waste and not building reactors in part because there isn't a storage solution etc. etc. is a big deal.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The people at NASA are naming the newly revealed features in Pluto, and have thus far named them after nerd poo poo because fuckit, congress isn't going to find another probe so who cares I guess, go for gold.

Pluto is now home to Cthulu, Balrog, and what I'm told are some anime things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Link? I hope they have good taste in waifus at the very least

• Locked thread