Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Meanwhile the actual Lupin is kicking back with his crew celebrating they not only made off with the real heist, but got the Punisher, well-known Interpol Most Wanted, to dispose of their lookalikes and take the rap for the whole caper.

Then Lupin joins the Justice League, the end.

Alternate end: The punisher takes off his mask and reveals he was Inspector Zengata all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Congressman John Lewis's March is pretty much just excessive non-violence.

You should go out immediately and buy both books, because they are phenomenal. They're inspired by the protest comics he read growing up, and they tell an emotionally devastating story without melodrama or sentimentality. It's incredible stuff.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

John Lewis is so loving badass he did cosplay at Comic-Con.

as himself

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/07/13/the-real-origin-story-behind-how-rep-john-lewis-became-the-hit-of-comic-con/

75 years old.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Squidster posted:

Congressman John Lewis's March is pretty much just excessive non-violence.

You should go out immediately and buy both books, because they are phenomenal. They're inspired by the protest comics he read growing up, and they tell an emotionally devastating story without melodrama or sentimentality. It's incredible stuff.

Now that's badass. And beautifully illustrated, too.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Truth. Any badass-wannabe can give a beating. It's a true badass who's willing to take one he knows is coming, especially when it's for a good cause.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
That is some incredible lettering, just perfect for those pages. I love how the taunting in Woolworth's is just small, ugly scribbling.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Jake Wyatt just likes putting other characters in his books. His Spider-Verse story had all kinds of anime characters as extras.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

From I think Wonder Woman 219. WW is fighting Superman who's been mindcrontrolled to think she's Doomsday and has just killed Lois Lane, so he's not holding back at all. The entire fight is incredibly well written and drawn without either character jobbing it - Superman is enraged and fighting without holding back, Wonder Woman counters with brutal tactics like slamming her wristbands against his ears whilst he's concentrating on superhearing.

These however are the standout panels for me

She's just been knocked back to earth from the sun's orbit (after taking some heatvision to the face), and her main worry is that she's going to take other people out with her when she crashes. Not 'Am I going to survive this', but 'please don't let me hit anyone'. *

*Later on we learn that whilst she did hit cars, there wasn't anyone in them.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Angrymog posted:

What was the explanation for so many empty cars and trucks in the middle of the road on that highway?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 14, 2015

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

"Oh no, they hit the cargo robot!"

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Angrymog posted:

She's just been knocked back to earth from the sun's orbit

I like how he punches her with such pinpoint precision that she goes all the 149,600,000 kms straight back to earth

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bohemian Nights posted:

I like how he punches her with such pinpoint precision that she goes all the 149,600,000 kms straight back to earth

Not only that, but right into America

And not only that, but sparsely populated America

That is straight up "Hulk never actually killed innocent people because his subconscious is just that in control" levels of bullshit.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Eh he's Superman so I buy that he could do that, why he would when there is a perfectly good sun right there? I got nothing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Not only that, but right into America

And not only that, but sparsely populated America

That is straight up "Hulk never actually killed innocent people because his subconscious is just that in control" levels of bullshit.

Yeah well people get super mad when you point out that bigass superhero fights must necessarily have a lot of collateral casualties.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Also, it's obviously grognardy as all hell, but considering it takes a full 8 minutes for light from the sun to reach the Earth, I can't help but wonder how fast WW is supposed to be hurling through space. Like, even at the speed of light she'd have quite a bit of time in the darkness to think about max and poor brucie :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bohemian Nights posted:

Also, it's obviously grognardy as all hell, but considering it takes a full 8 minutes for light from the sun to reach the Earth, I can't help but wonder how fast WW is supposed to be hurling through space. Like, even at the speed of light she'd have quite a bit of time in the darkness to think about max and poor brucie :v:

She blacked out for an instant - relative to her, but maybe it was an hour or two while she was hurtling through space.

I just think it's funny that while she and Superman were fighting to the death or whatever once Supes hits her that hard he's just chilling by the sun or something for no reason.

"Okay, THIS time I punched her hard enough that she'll stop being a pain in the rear end about whatever." Like she's gonna wake up dizzy, shake her head a few times and then walk away.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 14, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

SirDan3k posted:

Eh he's Superman so I buy that he could do that, why he would when there is a perfectly good sun right there? I got nothing.

He was going to throw her into the sun, but she had Kryptonite that Batman gave her - I guess that that thew his aim off? As for the cars, maybe her path was tracked and people were told the GTFO away from the road? She learns that no-one died from the villain of the piece, who'd have been more than happy to rub it in if someone had.

re: Superfights and collateral - that bugged me about Man of Steel; you actually see the people getting trapped in buildings and Supes does nothing to move the fight away from the city.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 14, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't understand why Superman, if he's so pissed off would punch "Doomsday" back to Earth. Does he really expect him to be tried in court in any meaningful manner?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Angrymog posted:

re: Superfights and collateral - that bugged me about Man of Steel; you actually see the people getting trapped in buildings and Supes does nothing to move the fight away from the city.

Remember when Zod said that he'd Destroy all of humanity whether Clark was there or not? How silly would Clark have looked running away for Zod to follow him if Zod just stayed in the city destroying and killing things with no one to slow down his destruction?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Angrymog posted:

Batman feels the same way.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I don't understand why Superman, if he's so pissed off would punch "Doomsday" back to Earth. Does he really expect him to be tried in court in any meaningful manner?

In space there are no corporate logos. Superman does all of his fighting near marketable entities.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CzarChasm posted:

If I ever meet Greg Pak I'm giving him a wedgie for that one.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Drifter posted:

Remember when Zod said that he'd Destroy all of humanity whether Clark was there or not? How silly would Clark have looked running away for Zod to follow him if Zod just stayed in the city destroying and killing things with no one to slow down his destruction?

Clark could have dragged the fight away from the city - I'm not suggesting he run, but that he physically move Zod away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Angrymog posted:

Clark could have dragged the fight away from the city - I'm not suggesting he run, but that he physically move Zod away.

He does try that, Zod just knocks it right back.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Angrymog posted:

I swear to god none of you complaining about this stuff have even watched the movie.

Clark had never fought anyone before that day. He wasn't in control during that fight at all.

Clark THREW Zod into SPACE. Into SPACE. How much further away from Metropolis do you want him to take that fight?

Zod came back and slammed them back to metropolis and by some amount of luck Clark was able to get the upper hand and kill him.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Well, it's not a documentary. So, more accurately, the writers wrote a scene in which Superman couldn't move the fight away from a big city, thus leading to untold damage and death. Also, the writers seem to have missed the point of a Superman story. It's a work of fiction, nothing in it was inevitable and unavoidable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the one and singular point of a Superman story?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hope? Superman saves lives? Definitely not grim-dark death and destruction on a Michael Bay level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uthor posted:

Hope? Superman saves lives? Definitely not grim-dark death and destruction on a Michael Bay level.

But... there are a ton of Superman stories about him failing to perfectly save everyone and dealing with the consequences of that.

Including the literal iconic Zod story where Zod murders the population of an entire planet and Superman executes him to prevent him from doing the same to Earth.

Edit: In Death of Superman, Superman is not able to prevent any injuries and in fact Doomsday actively seeks out populated areas despite Superman's best attempts to stop him. Doomsday forces the battle to Metropolis and it leaves the city devastated and countless people missing, injured or dead despite Superman's best efforts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know why we even have numbers other than zero for this "Days without a Man of Steel argument" sign.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
You know what is really badass? Resurrecting this old lovely discussion.
I don't care if I've posted this in here before, I just reread it again last week.
East of West #1

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Personally, I'm touchy, because Man of Steel discussion is why Avengers 2 had a million loving scenes reassuring the audience that nobody died or even had a booboo from the genocidal robot's attempted apocalypse, so gently caress you all for making me sit through that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

You know what is really badass? Resurrecting this old lovely discussion.
I don't care if I've posted this in here before, I just reread it again last week.
East of West #1

I can pretty much just start dumping entire issues of East of West here since almost every page is badass.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can pretty much just start dumping entire issues of East of West here since almost every page is badass.

#1 is the only one I have digitally or I totally would.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Precambrian posted:

Personally, I'm touchy, because Man of Steel discussion is why Avengers 2 had a million loving scenes reassuring the audience that nobody died or even had a booboo from the genocidal robot's attempted apocalypse, so gently caress you all for making me sit through that.

Actually that was good, and not bad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kellsterik posted:

Actually that was good, and not bad.

It was destruction without consequences. At least BvS is going to deal with the aftermath of the destruction of Metropolis. In Avengers 2 Tony and the Hulk destroy some random African city and no-one seems to care.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Madkal posted:

It was destruction without consequences. At least BvS is going to deal with the aftermath of the destruction of Metropolis. In Avengers 2 Tony and the Hulk destroy some random African city and no-one seems to care.

That's probably pretty realistic, too, though.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Including another impressive sequence later in that book.
Full-size album here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey shut up about Man of Steel in the Badass Panels thread. This thread is for panels not dumb arguments to be retread for the millionth time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Avengers #502. Background: It has been the worst day in the Avengers' history. Jack of Hearts (who?) is dead, the non-proper Ant-man is dead, Vision is dead (but he's a robot). A bunch of Avengers have gathered to mourn, and then the Kree attack.

He gets better. But it's still badass.