Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Funny enough, Broly was the first thing that got my wife to watch it with me. Ten years ago she'd never read a comic book or really watched a cartoon outside of standard Loony Toons type stuff, now I've got her into all sorts of nerdy poo poo. Her animation craze started with Avatar, then Full Metal Alchemist, then Adventure Time and Bee & Puppycat, then Attack on Titan.. Now she's seen like half of the DBZ movies and all of Abridged and wants to watch Kai if it will ever come on streaming somewhere.

Guys. I think I've created a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Zzulu posted:

its the only good movie :colbert:

yeah it sure is exciting to watch goku and his friends get their rear end beat for half the movie and just pull a win out of that "lend me your energy" crap.

Broly is the worst.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That was Tree of Might's problem too, except everyone got whooped within seconds. They at least put up some fight in Broly's movie.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The early dragonball movies were kind of interesting how much they would flatout change the plot of the series, sometimes placing existing characters into entirely different roles, compared to the standard tactic of 'vaguely around wherever the series is currently up to + 'original' characters''. Managed to watch Mystical Adventure on TV as a kid, and whilst I found it fun to watch, I was confused as all hell on how it related to the series proper.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
My first memory of DBZ was seeing Rock the Dragon on, I think, Fox Kids and watching the episode where Gohan gets beaten up by Nappa. I had no idea what was going on and I didn't get into the series proper until it came on Toonami.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I don't remember the first thing I saw, but the first thing that made an impact was Vegeta fighting Zarbon. Still a cool fight.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

zelah posted:

I don't remember the first thing I saw, but the first thing that made an impact was Vegeta fighting Zarbon. Still a cool fight.

Similarly, I think my first image of the series was the Krillin/Bulma/Vegeta/Zarbon stand-off.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

Mine was via cultural osmosis so I don't have any memories of it. :(

So I was watching TFS ep 48 again, the one with Tien screaming KI! KO! HO! over and over. Such a badass... Anyhow I was thinking, that move is even more powerful than a kamehameha but at the cost of your own life, unless you take a senzu bean...

So why don't they wrap the beans in some slow dissolving coating and eat a bunch of them. Wrap 1st bean with 1 layer, 2nd bean with 2 layers, 3rd bean with 3 layers etc, multiple time released bean injections!

Senzu beans in addition to providing health benifits also provide a days worth of food somehow(as in make you feel full not just nutrition wise) So you'd end up feeling sick as gently caress while in a life or death struggle while burning through your life force.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Can't they GMO these beans to grow faster? They should be swimming in them by now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Put as many as they can in the time chamber and come back two days later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senzu Beans kind of got a power boost over time too IIRC.

Like they originally started as basically "you are fully refreshed as if you'd been resting and eating well for 10 days" or whatever and gradually evolved to "it basically is magical healing."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Yeah, somehow they gained the ability to heal broken bones.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It happens at the end of the Piccolo Jr fight. Yajoribe gives one to Goku because Goku is starving and it magically heals him. Yajoribe goes "I didn't know they could do that!" and then it's just accepted fact.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nah the first magical heal is after Goku's first fight with Piccolo. During the 23rd Tenkaichi it's everyone, but Goku/Yajirobe that doesn't know about that ability.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Covok posted:

It happens at the end of the Piccolo Jr fight. Yajoribe gives one to Goku because Goku is starving and it magically heals him. Yajoribe goes "I didn't know they could do that!" and then it's just accepted fact.

It was earlier than that. After Goku's first encounter with old Piccolo, he was completely thrashed and Korin gave him a bean which magically healed him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

It's funny because it kind of leads to a weird plot hole with the heart sickness.

Like Senzu Beans as "it is like resting for ten days" makes sense as something that can't fix the heart disease because of course it can't, resting isn't going to do anything but make it progress a little slower. Senzu Beans as the same kind of magical healing that can literally fix a hole in your chest makes it a little odd. I mean they're magic beans they work however the plot demands, it's just sort of funny to think about.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It's funny because it kind of leads to a weird plot hole with the heart sickness.

Like Senzu Beans as "it is like resting for ten days" makes sense as something that can't fix the heart disease because of course it can't, resting isn't going to do anything but make it progress a little slower. Senzu Beans as the same kind of magical healing that can literally fix a hole in your chest makes it a little odd. I mean they're magic beans they work however the plot demands, it's just sort of funny to think about.

They fix non-natural damage to the body, ie outside traumas. Viruses and illnesses are natural and thus not cured by the beans.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
it's not like it's the only magical thing in the dragonballverse that can't save you from dying by natural causes cf. the dragonballs

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Exercu posted:

it's not like it's the only magical thing in the dragonballverse that can't save you from dying by natural causes cf. the dragonballs

Well the Dragon Balls are only as strong as whoever made them, right?

What I'm saying is that we should have had a spinoff show about Kami going to medical school.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What if they just wished Goku had the exact same body he had a few months ago. Not getting younger, but more like turning time back. In other words, make it so he had the same body he did before he gets the virus. Then, he can help save the world at full health before needing to deal with the heart virus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why doesn't Goku get Bulma to create a clone of him and then wish his mind into the clone-body.

Wait. Wait, poo poo, are we sure Goten is his son? Maybe his name is short for Goku 10.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I honestly never really thought about how few Senzu Beans there are later on in the series; like is it ever explained why after having literally pots full of them during Dragon Ball they're lucky to get like 6 or 7 total later on? Like the last 'big' bag of Senzus was during the Cell Saga, where they got two relatively large bags that both got destroyed, and the rest of the time during those areas they are lucky to get a handful. It's very odd.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

I honestly never really thought about how few Senzu Beans there are later on in the series; like is it ever explained why after having literally pots full of them during Dragon Ball they're lucky to get like 6 or 7 total later on? Like the last 'big' bag of Senzus was during the Cell Saga, where they got two relatively large bags that both got destroyed, and the rest of the time during those areas they are lucky to get a handful. It's very odd.

Yajoribe moved in with Korin.

Explanation over.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Raxivace posted:

Well the Dragon Balls are only as strong as whoever made them, right?

What I'm saying is that we should have had a spinoff show about Kami going to medical school.

So forgive me if this was ever explained, but if the Dragonballs can only do what Kami can do, then why doesn't Kami bring people back to life without getting the magic balls involved. I understand Kami leaving Goku dead long enough to train with King Kai, but why not, say, everyone else who dies? Would he get in trouble with King Yemma?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Krillin just keeps throwing them away at random people.

Covok posted:

Yajoribe moved in with Korin.

Explanation over.

That too.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think its more a "What the demonspace slug can potentially do if really applied himself to magic" and due to the extension of the series arcs + details being sidelined it's just a general wish now.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm waiting for Vegeta to suffer a major heart attack for the sheer stress he puts on it. 150x gravity isn't enough! 500x then his heart explodes or shuts down from the sheer force. I think it's great that Vegeta inherited Piccolo's "Must train to defeat Goku" mentality from the beginning of the show where-as Piccolo became more of a father figure to Gohan than Goku, who lost that in favor of "violently fighting against super powerful being is super duper fun!!!"

The absolute worst offender in the entire series though is Krillin growing hair. Bunch of horseshit that is. Almost as bad as Yamcha getting a haircut. Almost.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

EndOfTheWorld posted:

So forgive me if this was ever explained, but if the Dragonballs can only do what Kami can do, then why doesn't Kami bring people back to life without getting the magic balls involved. I understand Kami leaving Goku dead long enough to train with King Kai, but why not, say, everyone else who dies? Would he get in trouble with King Yemma?

Watch Yu Yu Hakusho if you want to see what Yemma would do to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEEDSKCUiaM

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Rudoku posted:

Watch Yu Yu Hakusho if you want to see what Yemma would do to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEEDSKCUiaM

one of my fav as promos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_8H__RlOI

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't remember at all what my first episode of Dragon Ball was but I do remember it was a Cell Saga one. I was still a kid, and my brother got me into it (as well as Saint Seiya, and from there anime in general).

I guess it's helped my perception of Cell as the best DBZ villain since he comes with that nostalgia included. It also helps, of course, that he's perfect.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
I think by some stroke of fate I caught the premiere of DBZ in the US since I always watched Cartoon Network when I was a kid. Shotguns and Raditz and poo poo, I had absolutely no idea what was going on

Covok
May 27, 2013

Thunderbro posted:

I think by some stroke of fate I caught the premiere of DBZ in the US since I always watched Cartoon Network when I was a kid. Shotguns and Raditz and poo poo, I had absolutely no idea what was going on

In that regard, DBZ Kai opening with the Bardock scene then giving a recap of Dragonball probably helped a lot of kids get a handle on things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHq7hxIcgn4

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

so how or where can we see if Revival of F will be showing in a theater near us? Like shouldn't that be up by now?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Stallion Cabana posted:

so how or where can we see if Revival of F will be showing in a theater near us? Like shouldn't that be up by now?

I checked Fandango and there's gonna be a showing at my local theater. No more going to Rockville for me!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

I checked Fandango and found some showings in Seattle and already bought tickets.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I remembered after I made that post that Fathom Events exists and I got some tickets from them.

Go me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Covok posted:

In that regard, DBZ Kai opening with the Bardock scene then giving a recap of Dragonball probably helped a lot of kids get a handle on things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHq7hxIcgn4

I find Kai opening with Bardock vs. Frieza really interesting. It reframes all of the pre-Buu stuff of Kai less as a series of random villains attackings/being attacked, and more as a genealogical conflict between Bardock and Frieza's families and descendants, with Cell loosely fitting into Frieza's "family" I guess.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Its kind of a vague detail that, ultimately, kinda has to be quietly put to the side and/or handwaved as the series increasingly went on and had to make clear that the whole 'God' thing was more of a title, then made even weirder when it turned out there was a whole species of him.

Or to put it another way, the idea that they can only do whatever 'God' (Kami) himself is capable of wasn't an issue at the stage of the series where the dude's MO was basically keep the world from being absolutely hosed, but otherwise the mortals were free to do whatever. Hell, that's part of the ultimate explanation behind why the dragonballs exist - he wasn't willing to dote on the world lest it become lazy and have people not solve their issues when they certainly could, but still gave them something they could use if things really got out of hand. So in that view of things, Dragonballs = Kami for miracles generally works and makes sense.

Its when you get into Z and the balls becoming a regularly used resource that this becomes a real oddity. Ie, bringing the people killed by Frieza on Namek back to life was apparently okay, but its never really addressed whether or not that included the thousands of people that once inhabited East City.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I find Kai opening with Bardock vs. Frieza really interesting. It reframes all of the pre-Buu stuff of Kai less as a series of random villains attackings/being attacked, and more as a genealogical conflict between Bardock and Frieza's families and descendants, with Cell loosely fitting into Frieza's "family" I guess.

It certainly does a good job framing the Sayian to Freeza saga and giving them an overall point. Instead of going through the motions and villiains, you know it's all building up to Goku avenging his people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Astro Nut posted:

Its kind of a vague detail that, ultimately, kinda has to be quietly put to the side and/or handwaved as the series increasingly went on and had to make clear that the whole 'God' thing was more of a title, then made even weirder when it turned out there was a whole species of him.

Or to put it another way, the idea that they can only do whatever 'God' (Kami) himself is capable of wasn't an issue at the stage of the series where the dude's MO was basically keep the world from being absolutely hosed, but otherwise the mortals were free to do whatever. Hell, that's part of the ultimate explanation behind why the dragonballs exist - he wasn't willing to dote on the world lest it become lazy and have people not solve their issues when they certainly could, but still gave them something they could use if things really got out of hand. So in that view of things, Dragonballs = Kami for miracles generally works and makes sense.

Its when you get into Z and the balls becoming a regularly used resource that this becomes a real oddity. Ie, bringing the people killed by Frieza on Namek back to life was apparently okay, but its never really addressed whether or not that included the thousands of people that once inhabited East City.

Adding to this whole thing, here's an interesting tidbit: the Dragon Balls weren't created until a few years AFTER King Piccolo was stopped the first time around, with the implication that one of the first wishes being used to restore some semblance of normalcy to the world after the devastation it suffered under something Kami himself thought was his own fault. Only the Dragon Balls end up time and again falling into the hands of corrupt and ruthless humans. Kami ends up wanting not to restore them after King Piccolo returns and destroys Shenron and is only convinced otherwise by Goku. Kami was disappointed in people trying to use his sort of cheat at "divine intervention" to wreck the world almost as badly as the thing he himself is sort of responsible, and was almost willing to sort of say "I'm out" until Goku shows up and kind of restores Kami's faith in "humanity" as it were. That and him again blaming himself for King Piccolo.

...you know, it's no wonder he tries to hand off the job to Goku at the end of the 23rd Tournament. Impression is that Kami himself thinks he's done a lovely job as "God," even the hick monkey boy could do better. Goku's certainly saved the world pretty often, recently.

• Locked thread