Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

AP reporting Jay Paterno wrote Dana Holgerson, Richt, and Urban Meyer and begged them for a job.

Saw that... Reeked of someone begging a girl for a date.

Jay Paterno, football Nice Guy.

"M'eyer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The SEC is putting a guy in the booth that will order teams to pull any player showing concussion symptoms. They're also putting an extra official on the field so they get better angles and can get set for plays quicker.

These are all great changes

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

The SEC is putting a guy in the booth that will order teams to pull any player showing concussion symptoms. They're also putting an extra official on the field so they get better angles and can get set for plays quicker.

These are all great changes

How's that gonna' work? Is this official gonna' have sideline comms with team doctors or something?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Exactly what would Jay Paterno have done for UGA's offensive staff? Gotten everyone coffee?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

AP reporting Jay Paterno wrote Dana Holgerson, Richt, and Urban Meyer and begged them for a job.

Pathetic

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

Exactly what would Jay Paterno have done for UGA's offensive staff? Gotten everyone coffee?

You ever see the King of the Hill where Bobby is on the track team?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

C2C - 2.0 posted:

How's that gonna' work? Is this official gonna' have sideline comms with team doctors or something?

The team doctors will still be able to pull people, but someone in the booth will also be looking out for anyone that looks shaken up and can call down to order their withdrawal, after which the team doctors have to clear them.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

The team doctors will still be able to pull people, but someone in the booth will also be looking out for anyone that looks shaken up and can call down to order their withdrawal, after which the team doctors have to clear them.

Gotcha. Seems like a good thing to do, especially given the few instances over the past few seasons where coaches/doctors haven't pulled guys that were knocked loopy.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

D.N. Nation posted:

Upgraded it from standard def to HD. Duh

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

So much for the nobility of not accepting a lovely performance.

Spurrier is the biggest critic of our team/program out there and takes losing very hard and very personally. He's pleased we managed to avoid his first losing season in ages, but that's where it stops -- I don't think there's anything else about 2014 that's acceptable to him, with the exceptions of beating Georgia and Florida.

Jeremor posted:

The only reason our season last year was unexpected was because all the 'experts' didn't know what the gently caress they were talking about. Our defense lost a ton of talent on the D-line and secondary, and then our highly ranked d-line class got destroyed by non-qualifiers. It wasn't hard to imagine that we'd struggle.

Last year's "talking season" was just really weird in retrospect. All the players and coaches seemed incredibly confident even with the significant personnel losses -- I think Ward was even bragging about how the defense would be better or something (lol). The experts and media gave us the benefit of the doubt based on the previous three seasons, and cranked up the hype accordingly. Yeah, we all probably should have seen the storm coming, but hindsight and all that.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That third party medical official in the booth is a good idea, but I hope there are some serious penalties in place for teams/coaches who don't follow through on their commands. Otherwise some coach pretending he didn't get the message or that he didn't get it in time and just happened to "accidentally" keep a star player in during an important play seems inevitable.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

VDay posted:

That third party medical official in the booth is a good idea, but I hope there are some serious penalties in place for teams/coaches who don't follow through on their commands. Otherwise some coach pretending he didn't get the message or that he didn't get it in time and just happened to "accidentally" keep a star player in during an important play seems inevitable.

From further reading, it doesn't sound like the coaches will have a choice. The official will be given the ability to first stop the game, then identify the player that is to be removed for further evaluation.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sash! posted:

You ever see the King of the Hill where Bobby is on the track team?

Great episode

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

From further reading, it doesn't sound like the coaches will have a choice. The official will be given the ability to first stop the game, then identify the player that is to be removed for further evaluation.

That's a well thought-out implementation then. Keeping coaches completely out of the decision/removal process is a real smart move.

On an unrelated note, UCLA announced they're breaking ground on our new football/basketball facility on Aug 27th. Assuming there's no last-minute setback, it'll be in time (before Oct 1st) to satisfy the clause in Mora's contract that stipulated when work had to begin by. It feels so weird to finally, maybe, potentially not have the worst facilities in the Pac-12. It seems like it's been a joke for as long as I remember.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

Spurrier is the biggest critic of our team/program out there and takes losing very hard and very personally. He's pleased we managed to avoid his first losing season in ages, but that's where it stops -- I don't think there's anything else about 2014 that's acceptable to him, with the exceptions of beating Georgia and Florida.

I know, and I was kidding but I think it's a little weird that Spurrier gets labeled as this guy that "hates to lose" when I can't think of a coach that enjoys it.

Now here's where someone post Beamer0-0.jpg

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

I know, and I was kidding but I think it's a little weird that Spurrier gets labeled as this guy that "hates to lose" when I can't think of a coach that enjoys it.

Yeah, I do hear what you're saying. I think it's probably because by many accounts, Spurrier is a really emotional guy. He almost walked away in 2007 and apparently had to be talked off the ledge after our loss to y'all last year. Every coach is ruthlessly competitive, of course, but perhaps Spurrier just wears his heart on his sleeve a little more than others.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ever wondered what an alligator skin football felt like? Do you have a thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket? Then boy do I have a deal for you!

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

MindlessHavok posted:

Now here's where someone post Beamer0-0.jpg

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

VDay posted:

That's a well thought-out implementation then. Keeping coaches completely out of the decision/removal process is a real smart move.

On an unrelated note, UCLA announced they're breaking ground on our new football/basketball facility on Aug 27th. Assuming there's no last-minute setback, it'll be in time (before Oct 1st) to satisfy the clause in Mora's contract that stipulated when work had to begin by. It feels so weird to finally, maybe, potentially not have the worst facilities in the Pac-12. It seems like it's been a joke for as long as I remember.

Where the hell are they gonna put it, UCLA isn't exactly known for having tons of large open spaces. I mean unless they build a NORAD football bunker under one of the hills, which I would fully support

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 14, 2015

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
VT00WF better or worse than M00N?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pugnax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBblg5pdfKo

My favorite video of the season that doesn't involve Georgia Tech.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

D.N. Nation posted:

Jay Paterno sucks and all but he can't be any worse than Schottenheimer.gif

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

pugnax posted:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Pakled posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBblg5pdfKo

My favorite video of the season that doesn't involve Georgia Tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-QTJer3vU

edit: gently caress i've fallen into the team catlab hole and i'm laugh crying again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPoXGTImcDI

e2: wow I did not mean to double post

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 14, 2015

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Can't forget 3-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbFypMKns8w

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I can't believe that no one wanted to hire the architect of the SPREAD HD*

*the normal Penn State offense with lots of end arounds

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's probably a high school somewhere that would take him. Like my lovely high school.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sash! posted:

There's probably a high school somewhere that would take him. Like my lovely high school.

Putting a Paterno directly in charge of a bunch of 14-18 year old boys? Sounds like a recipe for some ruined weekends.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

:psyboom:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Putting a Paterno directly in charge of a bunch of 14-18 year old boys? Sounds like a recipe for some ruined weekends.

Oh come now, any issues can wait until Monday.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Glumslinger posted:

Where the hell are they gonna put it, UCLA isn't exactly known for having tons of large open spaces. I mean unless they build a NORAD football bunker under one of the hills, which I would fully support

Like we could afford that. Both centers are going to be left/west of the practice football field and below/south of the main tennis courts. Just southwest of Pauley.

Still a pretty tight fit and the basketball facility (the one in black outline) means that two tennis courts have to be taken out, but it's pretty much the only corner of open space we have on campus so it should work out alright.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Where's the after-action report from the 'Bama poster who was supposed to be sitting in on a coaches meeting?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Where's the after-action report from the 'Bama poster who was supposed to be sitting in on a coaches meeting?

He was the sacrifice. rip.

FunkyBean
Mar 17, 2011
Low on fat and calories so gonna go eat some peanut butter.

MindlessHavok posted:

I still remember it being common knowledge down here in Gainesville how pissed and competitive he would get about golf too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Jay Paterno is not competent enough to orchestrate the successful ordering of a pizza, so I think everyone's safe on this one

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Frinkahedron posted:

edit: gently caress i've fallen into the team catlab hole and i'm laugh crying again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPoXGTImcDI

e2: wow I did not mean to double post

This is legit my favorite football video so thank you for this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

This is just a lame 6-4 tbh

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I wish we had more involved discussion so I could use these.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I wish we had more involved discussion so I could use these.

Its not a real argument until someone posts image macros and memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

SEC Storied announced a handful of new documentaries:

quote:

Sept. 1, "Wuerffel's Way" – Florida quarterback Danny Wuerffel's journey from winning the Heisman Trophy and a national championship to spearheading recovery efforts in New Orleans after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina ten years ago.

— Sept. 8, "Miracles on the Plains" – The extraordinary turnaround of Auburn football in 2013 that began with the oaks at Toomer's Corner being removed in April.

— Sept. 15, "The Bo You Don't Know" – A look inside the sudden and tragic death of Bo Rein before he ever coached his first game at LSU. Returning from a recruiting trip on January 10, 1980, the small plane in which he was flying crashed in the Atlantic Ocean, roughly 1,000 miles off course.

— Sept. 22, "SAM" – A story about All-American defensive end Michael Sam's bond with wide receiver L'Damian Washington and defensive tackle Marvin Foster at Missouri as Sam became football's first openly gay active player.

— Sept. 29, "In Search of Derrick Thomas" – The odyssey of the late Alabama star linebacker Derrick Thomas through the eyes of a son he never knew, Matt Naylor, who narrates this moving testament of discovery.

The Rein one should be interesting.

If you're unfamiliar with the story:

"Wikipedia posted:

Rein and experienced pilot Louis Benscotter, left Shreveport in a Cessna 441 aircraft. The flight was planned to be a 40-minute trip, but when Benscotter rerouted east to avoid a storm, air traffic control lost contact with him. The plane climbed to 40,000 feet and kept heading due east. After being tracked on radar, the plane was eventually intercepted by U.S. National Guard aircraft over North Carolina, a thousand miles off course and at an altitude of 41,600 feet, 6,600 feet higher than its maximum certified ceiling. The military pilots could not see anyone in the cockpit. The plane continued on over the Atlantic Ocean, where it crashed after running out of fuel. The military pilots spotted some debris, but no wreckage was ever recovered. The bodies of Rein and Benscotter have never been found.

The cause of the crash is undetermined [2] but was most likely cabin depressurization causing hypoxia, a lack of oxygen,[3] resulting in the occupants losing consciousness.

• Locked thread