Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bonewitch posted:

At 50: Fester.

At 60: Fester, Painflare, DT+Ruin 3 spam, Akh morn

I never played WoW but it seems like a not terrible idea.

Other than that SE would probably have to deal with a million salty scrubs threatening to quit the game over it.

I think it would be kind of cool to see what kind of lore they came up with for the gating. Isn't almost everything in this game tied to lore somehow? Unlike say FFXI who just had giant gently caress off Wyrms(Tiamat, Vrtra, Jormungand) that spawned every week for no reason then to drop loot for adventurers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
WoW had a good idea with the heroic gating but it didn't matter once the raids come out, there was no reason to run dungeons because they removed Valor and Justice Points.

I believe they are trying to get people back in them with mythic 5 mans but I don't actively play anymore so not too sure what those offer as a reward. Blackrock Foundry burnt out our raid group and we called it an expac as soon as we dumped Blackhand, many coming back to FF14.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dubious posted:

I believe they are trying to get people back in them with mythic 5 mans but I don't actively play anymore so not too sure what those offer as a reward. Blackrock Foundry burnt out our raid group and we called it an expac as soon as we dumped Blackhand, many coming back to FF14.

gear that is about on par with normal mode raiding assuming that it rolls warforged

it's mostly a waste of time

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So what are my options for burst damage as a SMN? Like on adds that need to die, because I feel like ruin spam isn't cutting it.

On single adds you can bane or tri-d + fester/pain/etc. But summoner lacks good ways to deal with multiple waves of low hp adds like on ravana ex spirit ganas or A3 slimes. I'm not sure what the optimal way to deal with those is.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

This is a cooperative game which has frequent DPS checks in all levels of content. Parsers allow players to ensure that they are contributing a decent amount to said checks, and thus being a useful member of the team. It is not the fault of parsers that some people are insufferable pricks about DPS.

It is not good to to bad DPS. This does not mean you are a bad person or that you are not worth playing with, but it does mean that you are not contributing to group content enough.

Use a parser. Find out your DPS. If it is low, ask how to help improve it or look up information on ffgoons. It is a humbling process, yes. But, unless you plan to only run solo content, you are being inconsiderate to other players by refusing to learn how to contribute effectively to the content you are running with them. You don't need to be pulling insane numbers in order to contribute effectively (unless you're doing savage maybe), but you should try and at least do enough.

Eej posted:

Tanks can drag adds to the right spot and solo them while still in tank stance without pushing any cooldowns.

Do not do this. Anything that requires a tank to drag a boss that cleaves around the room and work on fiddly positioning of smaller mobs is a terrible idea.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

TooManyUzukis posted:

Do not do this. Anything that requires a tank to drag a boss that cleaves around the room and work on fiddly positioning of smaller mobs is a terrible idea.

Yeah, I have no idea why you would make your tanks get the adds. They don't have a threat table once they're damaged and they hit like wet paper. You're far better off getting a bard or smn to run them into place.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TooManyUzukis posted:

Nope. I've done it successfully on every one of my A1 runs (save the first), and it has worked perfectly fine and is easier than relying on the DPS to drag them over in pub groups. You're at basically zero risk of cleaving if you ensure that you're facing the Oppressor towards the beam and then dragging the adds over with Flash/Overpower/Unleash to a good spot.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was about to mention the WoW trials, but others have brought it up.

While I haven't played retail WoW since they added trials, it sounds like a really good idea.

The trick of course is making sure players run the trials. It's a bit too late to gate current content behind completing them, but offering a raid-quality piece of gear if you ace the test would do the trick.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TooManyUzukis posted:

I don't drag it around the room. If a laser is next to me I grab an add and kill it on top of it. If it's really far away from me I leave it for DPS.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Holyshoot posted:

I think it would be kind of cool to see what kind of lore they came up with for the gating. Isn't almost everything in this game tied to lore somehow? Unlike say FFXI who just had giant gently caress off Wyrms(Tiamat, Vrtra, Jormungand) that spawned every week for no reason then to drop loot for adventurers?

All non-story content is meted out by the adventurer's guild and they want to make sure they're competent at your job before they send you to your death. Bam, done

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

sword_man.gif posted:

that's basically the problem. there's zero feedback that you're doing a rotation poorly and doing bad dps. it's very easy to tell when a tank or healer is loving up, and very hard to tell when a dps is without using a parser.
yes there is!

people are failing the solo instances and getting echo. that should be an indicator, but instead people are calling those solo instances too hard

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ilifinicus posted:

yes there is!

people are failing the solo instances and getting echo. that should be an indicator, but instead people are calling those solo instances too hard

This works up to the point before you have all the tome gear and you are raiding as your ilvl has raised from 150 to 180. And you cant go back and do those duties anymore.

So basically solo instances tell you jack poo poo.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The feedback is that you pull threat from full vit tanks. If you can't do this, you're doing bad dps.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

ilifinicus posted:

yes there is!

Solo instances don't tell you anything. The game doesn't say "You failed because your dps was literally worse than someone rolling a baby over a keyboard" and certainly doesn't give you tips on how to improve

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

SirPhoebos posted:

I was about to mention the WoW trials, but others have brought it up.

While I haven't played retail WoW since they added trials, it sounds like a really good idea.

WoW also has a rough guideline on your jobs Core Abilities in your spellbook, and literally spells out to you what-you-should-be-doing in your role at a very basic level.

Something similar to this being integrated in this game would probably help... it wouldn't completely solve the problem, but it should atleast help with things like BLM's casting alternating Fire 3 and Blizzard 3 continuously.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Something similar to this being integrated in this game would probably help... it wouldn't completely solve the problem, but it should atleast help with things like BLM's casting alternating Fire 3 and Blizzard 3 continuously.

Well for their defense they never tell you to look at the traits you get, they even have their own tab! And for the first 20 levels all your traits are like bonus str. So people just end up tuning them out.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

bonewitch posted:

Solo instances don't tell you anything. The game doesn't say "You failed because your dps was literally worse than someone rolling a baby over a keyboard" and certainly doesn't give you tips on how to improve
it is the closest thing to ANY kind of feedback you're getting

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ilifinicus posted:

it is the closest thing to ANY kind of feedback you're getting

Sorry the feedback is pretty easy to get.
"You have been removed from the party and they duty"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Holyshoot posted:

Step 1: make the players do a supposed-to-lose Duty with upcoming Baddie

Step 2: NPC says, "it looks like this Baddie could be beyond even you. We must call on the <Job> Super-Sensei!"

Step 3: Super-Sensei: "Here's how you play <Job> if you didn't know before. Got it? Now do these Duties"

Step 4: TRAINING MONTAGE cutscene

Step 5: Super-Sensei: "I think you're ready to fight Baddie. Go get 'im!"

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 14, 2015

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What strikes me is that SE says they want everyone to just see the content and have fun and not worry about DPS or whatever, yet the fights are tuned pretty hard. They aren't impossible by any means, but they're not LFR easy either. Either make poo poo hard and give us the tools to know what the gently caress like a proper threat meter and a DPS parser and don't ban us for calling poo poo players out or make poo poo LFR easy. You can't have it both ways SE.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Are you implying Alex normal is "tuned pretty hard"?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

A quick refresher course for people returning after a year to play the expansion would probably be a good idea. I'm guessing there are a ton of people with jobs at 50 who came back for the expansion and barely remember what half the stuff on their bars do trying to muddle through content. Mix in a bunch of movement heavy fights, bad gear, and the post-50 abilities changing rotations it's a lot to take in.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Belzac posted:

Are you implying Alex normal is "tuned pretty hard"?

For the random pubbie it sure seems to be.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I ran a duty roulette and got Cutter's Cry. One of the DPS was a MCH, and I noticed he wasn't losing lead shot. I said "hey, lead shot is a pretty good DoT, you should use it" and he said "that would ruin my DPS." We weren't killing enemies that fast, so I said "you might be miscalculating" followed up with some basic potency numbers, and he said "you should kill the enemies faster, then." I was a white mage in cleric stance half the time :shepface:

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I ran a duty roulette and got Cutter's Cry. One of the DPS was a MCH, and I noticed he wasn't losing lead shot. I said "hey, lead shot is a pretty good DoT, you should use it" and he said "that would ruin my DPS." We weren't killing enemies that fast, so I said "you might be miscalculating" followed up with some basic potency numbers, and he said "you should kill the enemies faster, then." I was a white mage in cleric stance half the time :shepface:

#shitpubbiessay

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

They talked about Alex Normal at one point being 'ex primal difficulty' and I'm almost positive that was their plan until they released Dragons Neck, Chrysalis and Steps of Faith in a row and the games community proceeded to fall over screaming and crying about how they couldn't do it/didn't want to do it with people who couldn't do it

Like I had a guy today in Brayflox who was like a 60 drg and did his best to ignore literally every single add in every boss fight including the bubbles because he just wanted to bounce circles around every single boss while spamming a 1-2-3. These are the people Alex Normal is being tuned for becuase story trials gating access to expansion content are literally impossible for them without significant nerfs or overgearing

I legit had a dude argue with me the other day that tomahawks were a waste of a GCD and your best strat is just to facepull, and that tab-targeting in dungeons is pointless because the UI will tell you how strong your threat lead is.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 14, 2015

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

goons who think they are gods gift to online video games ITT

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

seiferguy posted:

I had an EX roulette recently where a MCH was in love with Clean Shot. Used it all the time. Heck practically the only time they actually used their proc combo was when they reloaded. Other than that it was Clean Shot, Clean Shot, Clean Shot, Clean Shot.

I am still getting over the sound effect bugging the everloving crap out of me after that.
(At least now I can hear the Sickness bit.)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

dreffen posted:

goons who think they are gods gift to online video games ITT

Not even close. I'm not bleeding edge and don't have the skill/time to be. I'm solidly middle of the pack or slightly above that. I read rotation guides from the top players, try to follow it if I can and adapt it to my skill level if I can't. I watch boss videos and look at a few infographs and ask questions about mechanics. That's it. There is no reason anyone can't reach my level.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rei_ posted:

UI will tell you how strong your threat lead is.

Well, he's right. If it's not red, it's not strong enough!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lol at goons and big DPS numbers. You guys are worse than pubbies, jesus christ.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You guys get some awful people. My worse things pubbies say in my lldr is "Can we full clear?" to which I begrudgingly agree and it has always been a healer :confused: asking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Verranicus posted:

Lol at goons and big DPS numbers. You guys are worse than pubbies, jesus christ.

To be fair, spending 40 minutes on a dungeon instead of 25 or whatever because of the F3/B3 alternating BLM is pretty irritating. :shobon:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Verranicus posted:

I really like the attitude that it's cool to not want to be the best you can be at something you like to do.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I really like the attitude that it's cool to not want to be the best you can be at something you like to do.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Verranicus posted:

So do you jerk off to losing or what? In a game full of DPS checks it makes sense for people to want to know how much DPS they do.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
Anyone want to talk about how Ysayle is the best character or nah?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

jim truds posted:

So do you jerk off to losing or what? In a game full of DPS checks it makes sense for people to want to know how much DPS they do.

I play it like internet golf.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

Verranicus posted:

If people can't handle criticism about their inability to contribute effectively to a group in a game primarily focused around group-based content, they should play a different game. Probably one that doesn't require other players to do stuff with. :colbert:

You don't have to be amazing at what you're doing, but you should try at least to be good at what you're doing. That's not really asking too much, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Anyone want to talk about how Ysayle is the best character or nah?

Weird way to spell Matoya

• Locked thread