Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

The MSJ posted:

Not really a movie, but who cares. Hail to the king!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unnLg1TPCYM

Not even a fan of Evil Dead and this still looks awesome to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Byzantine posted:

The best movie of the year was the fourth of its series.

MockingJay Pt 2 technically isn't out yet.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Byzantine posted:

To be fair though, it's an Australian* film.

Sure Hollywood threw money at it, but they didn't forty years ago when Miller was skipping out on shifts at the Emergency Ward to smash cars in rural Victoria :colbert:

EDIT: * Even though it had to be shot in Africa because the drought decided to end and filled the desert with flowers

Rougey fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 14, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fantastic 4 final trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgnQdiZFsQ

:psyduck: just tell me the goddamn plot of the film! How do they expect anyone to get excited about the movie if they keep the plot as vague and generic seeming as possible. The most I can possibly get out of it is that they are fighting Doctor Doom. For what reason I have no idea. What stakes? No idea. What does Doom want? No idea.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God that movie is going to be so loving bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I realize it's a trailer but those FX look loving terrible and do a bad job of promoting your film. Thing looks laughably bad - that shot where he's punching that floating rock mass holy poo poo

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

:psyduck: just tell me the goddamn plot of the film! How do they expect anyone to get excited about the movie if they keep the plot as vague and generic seeming as possible. The most I can possibly get out of it is that they are fighting Doctor Doom. For what reason I have no idea. What stakes? No idea. What does Doom want? No idea.

Well there's a giant hole in the ground so obviously Doom and FF have to team up and fight Mole Man

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Well there's a giant hole in the ground so obviously Doom and FF have to team up and fight Mole Man

Funny enough, it's probably a side effect of Reed's teleporting fuckery which mean the movie at least got one thing right in having Reed gently caress everything up.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
As far as I can tell, every single FF film was made mainly so someone could hold on to the rights.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That opening narration makes it feel like they wanted to make Interstellar with the Fantastic Four but instead got roped into doing a generic "government wants superpowers for evil the greater good" plot. Also Doom, who uh, is there? I assume he kills the Morgan Freeman stand in character.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Say yes"

:lol:

What a mess that movie that movie will be.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc6EYDZovPQ

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well I will say I was not expecting a Dan Castellaneta cameo.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well I will say I was not expecting a Dan Castellaneta cameo.

Eh, he needed the D'oh.

:haw:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't get over how much that dad watching TV looks like Tim Heidecker.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I can't get over how much that dad watching TV looks like Tim Heidecker.

Looked like Greg Kinnear to me. May well have been.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

feedmyleg posted:

This post is funny in light of all of that previous bitching about trailers revealing too much.

The plot seems pretty spelled out to me: Reed wanted to do a teleporter since he was a kid, he finally does it, he teleports with his friends to some alternate dimension, they get special powers, Doom eventually does the same, and now they have to save the world from Doom.

Like, I don't know what else you want unless you want an excuse to not see the movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Byzantine posted:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wow people really like jurassic world huh

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_J8k43gUhY

View this trailer in Chrome. It's for the new Warcraft movie.

You can drag your mouse around and physically look around. It's an interactive trailer on Youtube. Those guys at ILM.. I... my mind is blown. I'm aware that there are a ton of other 360 VR videos, but this kind of makes sense because you can look around while riding the gryphon when you take flight paths in WoW. It's pretty clever.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 14, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Firstborn posted:

You can drag your mouse around and physically look around. It's an interactive trailer on Youtube. Those guys at ILM.. I... my mind is blown. I'm aware that there are a ton of other 360 VR videos, but this kind of makes sense because you can look around while riding the gryphon when you take flight paths in WoW. It's pretty clever.

Not really interested in WoW but this is pretty cool.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I never read the Fantastic Four comic books, so excuse me if this sounds naiive but is it just me or is that whole series just plain old bad? I watched the first one and it sucked and this one looks ten times worse. I'm kind of thinking the only good thing to come out of FF is a couple episodes of Venture Bros.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

kiimo posted:

I never read the Fantastic Four comic books, so excuse me if this sounds naiive but is it just me or is that whole series just plain old bad? I watched the first one and it sucked and this one looks ten times worse. I'm kind of thinking the only good thing to come out of FF is a couple episodes of Venture Bros.

I haven't read anything but the Hickman Omnibus, but that was a really great story with a central theme about fatherhood mixed in with a lot of badass moments. But at their core, the FF are supposed to be A) a family, which is a pretty unique dynamic among superheros and B) explorers and science adventurers, so you can have a bunch of fun pulpy stuff that would make for some relatively light-hearted adventure, like a Star Trek episode or something. They also have a lot of fun frienemies, like Galactus, Doom, Namor, and the Inhumans, but in movie terms these dudes will always be the unambiguous evil (except the Inhumans, probably). The movies do not really play to any of these strengths.

Also Planetary needed the FF to exist so there's that.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The nail in the coffin with FF4 is that they completely scrapped converting it to 3D, also that CGI for a summer blockbuster in 2015 is horrendously bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

kiimo posted:

No it's bad, the best thing about it is World's Biggest Megalomaniac Supervillain Heel Dr. Doom which: a) none of the movies got right and b) works best as a highlight reel anyway.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Death By The Blues posted:

they completely scrapped converting it to 3D

But that's a good thing!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The series is really good. Jonathan Hickman who pretty much steered the Marvel ship for the last few years began his run with Fantastic Four and did an amazing job with it by focusing on the family aspect of the group. None of the movies have come close to working this in and they never will because god forbid we have a superhero movie with an established family. Oh wait, that's called The Incredibles and it was loving amazing and pretty much exactly what the Fantastic Four are.

Doom is a great villain not because he's evil. He doesn't want to destroy the world. He wants to rule the world as he rules Latveria where people are safe (as long as they do as Doom wills). Hell, in Marvel Comics right now the Multi-Verse was destroyed and EVERYONE died. The only reason there's anything left is because Doom managed to save some of it. He's now a God and this run is shaping up to end as a giant Reed vs Doom fight. The entire Marvel Universe coming down to those two and the movies can't get the franchise off the ground. It's ridiculous when they have so much good poo poo to pic from.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Firstborn posted:

That rules. I've got one of those trashy cardboard VR holders for my phone, gonna try that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

feedmyleg posted:

Why do they keep loving up Doom?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Why do they keep loving up Doom?

Superhero movies can't have shades of grey villains.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Doom ISN'T a shades of grey villain, though! He's a cartoonish rear end in a top hat in a green cloak and steel mask who toots legendary horns for shits and giggles and acts like a huge jackass all the time. He's like the easiest villain to get right ever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Doom is easily one of the most cheesy villains in the comics and that portrayal is probably hard to fit into this current crop of superhero movies where they're trying to ground everything

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

But they're not trying to ground THIS Doom at all, it looks like.

Seriously Doom is the loving best, he's just the most selfish person in the universe while still being entirely pragmatic about the realities of rulership. He's evil, but he's not genocidal, he's a feared world leader who runs his country with a fierce belief that his will is what's best for his people... gee, it's not like there's a real world equivalent there.

I'm not even a big FF guy but Jonathan Hickman's run is straight up one of the best comics I've ever read. It's amazing, and not even just because of the family aspect, it's just non-stop awesome abstract sci-fi and machinations happening on the most ridiculous scales. A good FF movie would be like Interstellar mixed with Jodorowsky's Dune. This dreary looking mess is completely failing to inspire any sort of that adventurous and absurdly creative spirit of the comics.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dillbag posted:

But that's a good thing!

Yes, it is a good thing because 3D is poo poo.

But, I think if a major studio suddenly decides a movie isn't worth converting to 3D that they likely don't have any faith in their movie.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deakul posted:

Yes, it is a good thing because 3D is poo poo.

But, I think if a major studio suddenly decides a movie isn't worth converting to 3D that they likely don't have any faith in their movie.

Actually I'm hearing it's because they just locked picture a few days ago and they don't have time to do a proper conversion.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I think Doom is also the godfather to Reed's daughter, who he even named, so you get some nice Uncle Doom moments that aren't even out of character for Doom since he's probably just trying to be a better father than Reed, so it maintains that whole rivalry between them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

I think Doom is also the godfather to Reed's daughter, who he even named, so you get some nice Uncle Doom moments that aren't even out of character for Doom since he's probably just trying to be a better father than Reed, so it maintains that whole rivalry between them.

Correct.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 15, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I have a book where Doom goes into hell with Dr. Strange to rescue his mother's soul from Lucifer after Doom earns a favor from him. It's amazing.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

feedmyleg posted:

This looks terrible, although I don't see why people are hating on the VFX so much. It looks like any other generic super hero movie.

This one is cut better, although someone should have the good sense to get rid of that hilariously bad "He's stronger than all of us" line. Also it looks like Sue Storm is going to be stuck with force shields and pushing stuff around again? She has arguably the coolest powers out of all four of them and it's always this poo poo. Lame. Interesting choice to have the Thing keep the actor's voice without modification.

I'd love a F4 movie that just dove right into their mythology, especially any of the Hickman stuff. Do Council of Reeds. Do any of the stories where it's shown that Doom is crazy but so is Reed and the only thing grounding Reed is his family. Literally any story other than the F4 origin story would be better. I mean, how many times does this poo poo have to be laid out? If you HAVE to have it, do a quick flashback and then move on.

I don't think this will tank, but it's not going to be memorable, which sucks because I really like MJB and Trank, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'd love a F4 movie that just dove right into their mythology, especially any of the Hickman stuff. Do Council of Reeds. Do any of the stories where it's shown that Doom is crazy but so is Reed and the only thing grounding Reed is his family. Literally any story other than the F4 origin story would be better. I mean, how many times does this poo poo have to be laid out? If you HAVE to have it, do a quick flashback and then move on.

I don't think this will tank, but it's not going to be memorable, which sucks because I really like MJB and Trank, but whatever.

I want that from an FF movie too, but it'd be expensive, weird, and it's quality comes from its decision to do what's fun over what's hip. Without someone like George Miller's cachet to anchor the project no one at Fox would dare fund it.

• Locked thread