Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Verranicus posted:

Lol at goons and big DPS numbers. You guys are worse than pubbies, jesus christ.

So wait now pubbies are the ones good at dps and bragging about it? I'm mixed up on what the current retard goon think meta is at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Anyone want to talk about how Ysayle is the best character or nah?

was

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Phlogistic posted:

You might want to check out this handy little guide for everything optionally unlockable up to level 50.

Oh man I am missing so much poo poo apparently. Ive managed to stay a few levels ahead of the MSQ just from doing the mandatory dungeons and the occasional FATE so I havnt even looked at side quests. I thought Gold Saucer was level 50+ content and Ive been missing out. :(

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Anyone want to talk about how Ysayle is the best character or nah?

I'll never pass up an opportunity to mention how SUPER MAD I still am that they never used the second half of Shiva's battle music in a cutscene.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey guys, I joined an amateur bowling league. I thought it was going to be casual and fun, but then my teammates yelled at me for not being able to bowl over 100 and that I needed bumpers. What a bunch of tryhards.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
How important is min/maxing when allocating stat points? e.g. I'm an Arcanist and I'm not sure yet if I'll go Scholar or Summoner first, and probably will end up switching back and forth eventually. Would splitting the points between Mind and Int be a big deal, or is it better to stick with one?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Fister Roboto posted:

I really like the attitude that it's cool to not want to be the best you can be at something you like to do.

Really? Because I see more people posturing about being good than I do about being bad.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Daveski posted:

How important is min/maxing when allocating stat points? e.g. I'm an Arcanist and I'm not sure yet if I'll go Scholar or Summoner first, and probably will end up switching back and forth eventually. Would splitting the points between Mind and Int be a big deal, or is it better to stick with one?

Just dump it in INT for now. It's dirt cheap to restat using GC seals.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Daveski posted:

Put them in int if you're not sure. hps will (almost) never make or break you if you heal intelligently, but dps can as a summoner.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Daveski posted:

It's better to stick with one and use The Keeper's Hymn (250 company seals) to reset when you're swapping between the two.

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey guys, I joined an amateur bowling league. I thought it was going to be casual and fun, but when my score was low, my teammates tried to teach me how to be better at bowling. I didn't like that, so I got super angry and sabotaged it for them, then left in a huff. That'll show those asshats who is boss.

This is what my experience is, more often than not. I don't mind someone doing "subpar" DPS or being a bad tank/healer, long as they are open to criticism and are willing to be taught. If they aren't, they shouldn't be playing a group-oriented game.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Thanks guys, didn't realize you could reset them easily.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lumis posted:

This is what my experience is, more often than not. I don't mind someone doing "subpar" DPS or being a bad tank/healer, long as they are open to criticism and are willing to be taught. If they aren't, they shouldn't be playing a group-oriented game.

Yeah, some people are blowing this out of proportion.

It's okay not not be the best at your job. But if your cat can out DPS you by taking a nap on your keyboard, then there's gonna be problems. There's bad, and then there's brain damaged bad.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I figured out why I'm bad at DPS. I am a clicker :(

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My FC has a 60 something year old who plays on a PS3 and we end up carrying him through everything. Yet no one minds because he actually ask questions about mechanics, tries his best and never bitches when we ask him to do things.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

dreffen posted:

Really? Because I see more people posturing about being good than I do about being bad.

I made my groups wipe today so much. My deeps was so low it was negative.

Opposing Farce posted:

I'll never pass up an opportunity to mention how SUPER MAD I still am that they never used the second half of Shiva's battle music in a cutscene.

This is the battle music for the Shiva fight.
Metal Gear Revenagance: Stranger I Remain

I'm not kidding go do a run, it syncs up with the fight.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Renegret posted:

It's okay not not be the best at your job.

no

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm a clicker and compete for top DPS in my static.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm a clicker and compete for top DPS in my static.

that speaks volumes about your static

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I blame early MMOs for engendering the idea that being bad is acceptable. Whether out of ignorance as to what was fun or actual malice, Everquest and its' kin were designed to stomp all over the nuts of those who played them. On top of that you had technology issues that made the game barely work to begin with. So how 'good' you were at playing had very little to do with whether group content was doable. As a player, your only options were to either rage at the game or laugh at the absurdity of it all. So people that stick with MMOs will tell you that it's okay to suck. Because everyone sucks. Or at least they, and even if game design and technology has come a long way, it takes a lot longer for culture to adjust.
:goonsay:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I mean statistically speaking it's very difficult to be the best in the world at your job.

Maybe we should downgrade this to "best at your job in the current party"

In that case I've spent a lot of time being the best.

e:

SirPhoebos posted:

I blame early MMOs for engendering the idea that being bad is acceptable. Whether out of ignorance as to what was fun or actual malice, Everquest and its' kin were designed to stomp all over the nuts of those who played them. On top of that you had technology issues that made the game barely work to begin with. So how 'good' you were at playing had very little to do with whether group content was doable. As a player, your only options were to either rage at the game or laugh at the absurdity of it all. So people that stick with MMOs will tell you that it's okay to suck. Because everyone sucks. Or at least they, and even if game design and technology has come a long way, it takes a lot longer for culture to adjust.
:goonsay:

Actually it has everything to do with "don't get mad at video games".

It's a very important rule.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

Renegret posted:

Weird way to spell Matoya

ever wonder what she does with those brooms

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So what are my options for burst damage as a SMN? Like on adds that need to die, because I feel like ruin spam isn't cutting it.
I'm not the best SMN, but:
- If there are a bunch of adds that cluster around a boss, make sure to save a stack of aether for a Bane and keep your dots topped off, especially now that Bane can hit more than 3 targets.
- If there are lots of adds all over the place, a Swiftcasted garuda-egi wastes less time running around, if you're normally using ifrit-egi. (Also, don't forget to sic the egi on adds instead of leaving it on the boss.)
- If your cp permits, you can use Ruin2 instead of Ruin, since it stops you from wasting 2 seconds on a cast just to have someone else kill the add before it finishes. Also it lets you cast on the run while positioning yourself in range of the next add if you need to.
- If you know there's a tricky add wave coming up, you can save buffs like Raging Strikes/Enkindle/Rouse.
- As a last resort, you can save all 3 stacks of aether to do a quick Energy Drain - Painflare - Energy Drain, which lines up some of your hardest hitters and also lets you drop into Dreadwyrm right after, opening up Ruin3 and Deaathflare. (And then people will criticize your dps because you weren't using the optimal rotation the whole fight but oh well.)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My FC has a 60 something year old who plays on a PS3 and we end up carrying him through everything. Yet no one minds because he actually ask questions about mechanics, tries his best and never bitches when we ask him to do things.

This is unironically the right way to do things. If you obsess over parsers you're a broken human being.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I have noticed that, for whatever reason, even when PUGs go terribly and wipe on DPS checks or mess up basic mechanics or whatever, it seems exceedingly rare for people to get salty about it in party chat or yell at one another or whatever. I've had FFXIV duties where the party or raid wipes repeatedly and it either takes a million years or just gets abandoned, but I've also had WoW LFRs or even heroics like that only you also have somebody hurling racial slurs or whatever at everyone else.

Once I had a group that couldn't even manage to clear the Vault and voted abandon, but I bear it a lot less ill-will than I might have otherwise since they seemed very nice and polite.

And obviously it's not always like this, but the in-game community here really does seem genuinely less toxic than it does in any other MMO or multiplayer game I've played.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Renegret posted:

Actually it has everything to do with "don't get mad at video games".

It's a very important rule.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that everyone should strive to be the "Many Whelps" guy. It's possible to want to improve yourself and not break a keyboard every time you wipe.

That said, bad pubs happen. I've even had them in leveling dungeons (:pwn:)

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Verranicus posted:

This is unironically the right way to do things. If you obsess over parsers you're a broken human being.

I like to have fun

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Vermain posted:

My A1 run this morning had a tank who wouldn't drag Oppressor over to the lasers, leading to two wipes, and when I suggested that he do so he said that he "shouldn't have to" because "this fight is easy." Unsurprisingly, we one-shot it after he left. v:shobon:v

Are you supposed to do that? Do bad things happen to the Oppressor if the missile hits him?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

ghostinmyshell posted:

This game has like a 2.5s Global CoolDown. Clicking will make you bad in WoW or something like Tera that moves faster, but you shouldn't have a ton of trouble in FFXIV unless you can't find your buttons either. As long as you're close to hitting the GCD refreshes you're fine.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I had a LLDR today where the Dark Knight was only using Darkside on bosses to conserve MP and we were constantly ripping aggro off him. We eventually convinced him to use it all the time and then complimented him for doing his job better. I want to believe that we helped someone play better but I think I really know that he went back to his old way the very next dungeon.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

GaylordButts posted:

This game has like a 2.5s Global CoolDown. Clicking will make you bad in WoW or something like Tera that moves faster, but you shouldn't have a ton of trouble in FFXIV unless you can't find your buttons either. As long as you're close to hitting the GCD refreshes you're fine.

stop it

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Hello, what does the Steam Gasket do?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wonder if square will just do what Blizzard did when people complained that the baby content was too hard and just make it a complete faceroll. In WoD the DF-able raid difficulty was a literal joke and you only needed about 4 competent people in the entire 25 man raid group and you could still easily clear it., at least for Highmaul. I quit before the next one came out. It'd probably work well as a containment zone. Make current alex "alex hard" and remove it from DF so people who are competent but don't have time for savage can still do fun stuff without being grouped in with the dregs. Just make the baby version not give titles or whatever.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

kafziel posted:

Are you supposed to do that? Do bad things happen to the Oppressor if the missile hits him?

You don't have to do jack poo poo with the Oppressors. You have to kill the small adds that spawn on the oppressors where the laser rests. The mini puddle is what keeps people from dying.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Verranicus posted:

This is unironically the right way to do things. If you obsess over parsers on non progression content you're a broken human being.

FTFY

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

GaylordButts posted:

:ohdear:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Sometimes in groups you just get outright bad advice, too. Like the Brayflox where "Gohan Sama" the DRK told me that, as a MCH, I should use Blank in dungeons all the time.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Garin posted:

You don't have to do jack poo poo with the Oppressors. You have to kill the small adds that spawn on the oppressors where the laser rests. The mini puddle is what keeps people from dying.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but then this guy is saying to drag the Oppressors there and I'm like, what

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kafziel posted:

If you have competent DPS that can handle pulling and positioning adds, you don't need to. If you don't have them, you just need to pull the Oppressor in a specific way (ensuring that it's constantly facing towards the outer wall, and that the other DPS are huddled in the middle so that you can turn it safely). You can either move over early to pull it into position or wait until they've spawned to pull it over. You + a ranged DPS can kill the adds easily, so melee doesn't need to worry about getting hit by the cleave (which only seems to be used during add phase) and can stick to beating on Oppressor. Once you've killed them, wait for a cleave to come out, and then move the Oppressor into a position where you/the melee DPS won't get hit by the explosion from the mini missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eej posted:

I don't drag it around the room. If a laser is next to me I grab an add and kill it on top of it. If it's really far away from me I leave it for DPS.

If it's next to the boss just let a melee DPS grab it and murder it for you. It's what I do on MNK in goon groups since it's not like our DPS is lacking.

Rei_ posted:

They talked about Alex Normal at one point being 'ex primal difficulty' and I'm almost positive that was their plan until they released Dragons Neck, Chrysalis and Steps of Faith in a row and the games community proceeded to fall over screaming and crying about how they couldn't do it/didn't want to do it with people who couldn't do it

I'm still sad we never got an OdinEX since it would've been the most absurd "gently caress you and your healers" fight, though they probably figured (rightly) that not a lot of people would be able to clear it.

• Locked thread