Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah playing Bethesda games on consoles is an inferior experience mostly for the lack of command console access. Y'all don't gotta get mad just because in this one case being on pc will probably be way better, especially for launch, for a mostly technical reason you have no control over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

There are no mountains east of the mississippi. Everything that gets called a "mountain" there would be fortunate to qualify as a hill elsewhere.

Yeah American standards for what's called a mountain are ridiculous. 1000 feet! That's literally half what it is in the UK.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hemophilia posted:

Yeah playing Bethesda games on consoles is an inferior experience mostly for the lack of command console access. Y'all don't gotta get mad just because in this one case being on pc will probably be way better, especially for launch, for a mostly technical reason you have no control over

Makes me wonder why they didn't include the console commands in the Ps3/Xbox versions. It's not like it is impossible to input text on those systems.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

hemophilia posted:

I've been playing Bethesda games on PC for at least ten years and I've only touched the console a handful of times. Unless you get stuck in a room or a quest item falls through the floor or something, there are very few problems that can't be solved just by loading a quick/autosave and replaying a few minutes. I'm not going to say using the console is wrong or bad, because it's well established that some people get way more game breaking bugs than others, so it's good to have it if you need it, but I do feel like its importance can be overstated.

I remember playing xbox Morrowind and dropping Azura's Star on the floor of the magic shop in Mournhold. It probably clipped through the floor or got eaten by the engine, because when I went to pick it up it wasn't there. I can't remember why I couldn't just load a save, but it wasn't an option. Had I had access to the console, I could have conjured up a new star, but instead I had to just shrug it off. Aside from not being able to soultrap Almalexia, it wasn't a big deal. I still remember it, so obviously it annoyed me, but that was the only time in like 500 hours of play that I wished I'd had a console and I got over it.

Maybe it's like modding. If you never touch the mods, you don't know that you're missing anything and you can muddle through and have a good time regardless, but once you start playing with lots of mods, they start feeling essential.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It was fun using the unlimited companions mod to bring companions into the F:NV dlcs, including smuggling high powered weaponry into Dead Money.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cargohills posted:

Just so you guys know this is exactly what I meant when I said "PC spergs" :)

I don't give a poo poo about PC master race, most games are equally bad or good on PC and any console, but I do give a poo poo about exactly what I wrote - bloating mountains of unnecessary future landfill engineered to become obsolete in a couple of years.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Anyone know if there's a way to find a game that was activated on Games for Windows Live? I just realized that's why my Fallout 3 isn't showing up on Steam.. I bought it before I had Steam.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pwnstar posted:

People obsessing over console vs. PC is dumb as heck, some people prefer keyboards and some prefer controllers but for real I can't imagine playing a Bethesda game without being able to fix things that inevitably gently caress up with console commands.

The best part about PC is that I can hook it up with a TV and play with any number of wireless or wired dealios I want and then also play/emulate/whatever more games than most single consoles ever will be able to.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

New Leaf posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to find a game that was activated on Games for Windows Live? I just realized that's why my Fallout 3 isn't showing up on Steam.. I bought it before I had Steam.

Try entering your registration code from f3 into "+ add a game" (bottom left) on steam. It works with a surprising amount of titles.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lotish posted:

It was fun using the unlimited companions mod... smuggling high powered weaponry into Dead Money.
See Bethesda? This is why we NEED an Anal Circumference stat and related perks.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You know how every thread here about a game that has a PC version out is 90% technical support questions?

I cannot be hosed with all that poo poo, just want to put a disc in and play. PC master race indeed.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Been awhile since I checked the Fallout thread...

Father Wendigo posted:

:yikes:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Please don't bring my d&d sex manual into this.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fallout would be better if it used the FATAL ruleset.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Oh yeah? Well, I haven't owned a console ever. So you're still not as cool as me.

I wasn't implying I was cool for not owning consoles, Phlegmish. That doesn't seem very nice.

If I were a millionaire and had more time to enjoy games, which I wish were true, I would love to own a PS4 for stuff like Bloodborne.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

marktheando posted:

You know how every thread here about a game that has a PC version out is 90% technical support questions?

I cannot be hosed with all that poo poo, just want to put a disc in and play. PC master race indeed.

"Just put a disc in and play", until you run into a gamebreaking bug and then you have to wait half a year for the patch to come out because Microsoft or Sony won't allow you to release a patch that's under a certain size. That is if it comes out at all, and you can forget about Unofficial Fan Patches.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

"Just put a disc in and play", until you run into a gamebreaking bug and then you have to wait half a year for the patch to come out because Microsoft or Sony won't allow you to release a patch that's under a certain size. That is if it comes out at all, and you can forget about Unofficial Fan Patches.

This has never happened to me. Also the patch limit was last gen, PS4 and xbone have PC style giant patches now.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

xutech posted:

Try entering your registration code from f3 into "+ add a game" (bottom left) on steam. It works with a surprising amount of titles.

Dude, that stuff is LONG gone.. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking. I didn't know if it was stored on a Windows account somewhere or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

marktheando posted:

This has never happened to me. Also the patch limit was last gen, PS4 and xbone have PC style giant patches now.

Under a certain size, not a maximum limit.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Under a certain size, not a maximum limit.

Wasn't it both? If I remember right on 360 they got a few patches for free then had to pay Microsoft thousands for each subsequent patch.

Edit- oh wait I misread that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

marktheando posted:

And I've never had a problem with a PC game that I couldn't fix in 5 minutes. These things are mostly luck based and you probably shouldn't judge a platform based on them.

Arguing about which platform is best is stupid anyway since people have different preferences and priorities. Consoles work better for some people and PC work better for others.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Father Wendigo posted:

Perhaps Corruption of Champions (:nws::nms:) would be more to your liking

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Andrast posted:

And I've never had a problem with a PC game that I couldn't fix in 5 minutes. These things are mostly luck based and you probably shouldn't judge a platform based on them.

Arguing about which platform is best is stupid anyway since people have different preferences and priorities. Consoles work better for some people and PC work better for others.

It is stupid, but we have ran out of other things to argue about. Unless someone has a new interview with Todd 'Great Satan' Howard.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Consoles work better out of the box 95% of the time but when they gently caress up it's way harder to deal with than a PC gently caress up.

If you think that's untrue clearly you've never experienced the Xbox DVD drive problems.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I think the people who don't understand why they're being called autistic about the collectors edition maybe also don't understand that sometimes, plastic can be molded into interesting shapes that people want to buy. Such has been the reality of plastic forever. This being an alien concept to someone might make them seem autistic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Calling somebody "autistic" because they chose to purchase different hardware than you, or spent money on something that you wouldn't enjoy but they will, is really, really, stupid.

It's fine to laugh at the fancy, expensive, wearable phone case a little and I would guess that even the people purchasing it are doing that, but I can see how it would give a person enjoyment if they collect things, or go to conventions, or whatever.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cheap Shot posted:

I think the people who don't understand why they're being called autistic about the collectors edition maybe also don't understand that sometimes, plastic can be molded into interesting shapes that people want to buy. Such has been the reality of plastic forever. This being an alien concept to someone might make them seem autistic.

I've met autistic individuals more socially adjusted than the sorts of people who mock others as being 'autists' over trivial poo poo.

There is overlap between them and the sort of people that are too goddamn insufferable to hang out with but can't understand why no one likes them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'd agree that being excited about the collectors edition doesn't make you autistic. It does make you a sucker though.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
So what does the CE come with? A plastic phone case for $120 or something?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hey, I'm happy for you if consuming gives meaning to your existence. *thoughtfully stares into the distance like some french intellectual human being*

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

JackBadass posted:

Yes.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

Metal case, that, a poster, game, prolly some misc guff I forgot. Of course I ordered one.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Figured.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

Metal case, that, a poster, game, prolly some misc guff I forgot. Of course I ordered one.

So maybe $10 worth of extra content for $60 more. Cool.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's really dumb and pointless but this is the site where other goons spent thousands of dollars on Star Citizen, so it kind of pales in comparison.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

It's really dumb and pointless but this is the site where other goons spent thousands of dollars on Star Citizen, so it kind of pales in comparison.

Anything is good value for money compared to tens of thousands for hypothetical video game spaceships.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mesadoram posted:

Been awhile since I checked the Fallout thread...

:yikes:

Oh grow up, it's not like I was asking for Depth or something else that's super limiting to be statted out too. I'm very aware Bethesda prefers their increasingly expensive egg hunts to have as many guide/guard rails as possible.

Though I am expecting Depth in more ways than one from the Obsidian spinoff. :V

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

Star Citizen is a ploy to make people feel good about their consumerism, in comparison.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Since I just got back from the dentist and am waiting for the Novocaine to wear off (I can't feel my nose), may was well waste time saying useless things about Fallout 3's DLC.

It's a mixed bag. Nothing is utterly horrible, but nothing is hugely exciting either. It's pointless to argue about cost vs worth at time of release, since anyone getting the game now is unlikely to pay more than :10bux: to pick up the GOTY edition. Hell, it only cost me $7.50 last Winter's Steam sale. In order of release:

Operation Anchorage - The plot is on rails so narrow that I swear I saw one of the Outcasts have LIONEL painted on his power armor, and it's short as hell. But the latter helps offset the former, as you're not stuck in it forever and what there is of it is a fun shooting gallery. The big plus, of course, is the gear you get that makes the rest of the game almost trivial: Winterized T-51b power armor, Gauss Rifle, Jingwei's shocksword, and the Chinese Stealth Suit. :black101:

The Pitt - This is the only one where you get some level of the ambiguity as far as how you end the thing. Not enough to keep me from putting a bullet in Ashur's face, but A for effort! It really isn't any longer than Anchorage is, it just feels that way because everyone wants to find all those loving ingots just to get the tribal power armor. (Seriously, the T-51b is way better.) Interesting level design and acceptable plot, but the only reason for not just killing everyone except the baby and getting it the hell out of there is the knowledge that Pittsburgh's actual future is far more frightening than becoming a Trog. The Metal Blaster and Perforator are the best things out of it, but that means going out for those damned ingots.

Broken Steel - More of an extension than an expansion. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Fixes the ending that kills you and stops the story dead, but now you get called a jerk because you realized that the super mutant could do it and everyone would still live. Still won't let you use the ghoul, either. Fuckers. I feel as bad for wiping out the remaining Enclave as I would killing an SS unit that won't surrender. (Boo hoo, you have families. So did all the innocents you wiped out. Sucks to be you.) The Tesla Cannon is fun for a bit, but I usually have Vengeance by that time and that's way more useful in taking out Vertibirds.

Point Lookout - I like this DLC the most, because it has the one thing the others don't: exploration. There's so many nooks and crannies to look at, and I can do things as I feel like. I can even just do all the side quests and skip the main story if it suits me. Lots of fun unique gear, interesting NPCs, and spooky poo poo to play around in. The enemies can be spongy, mainly the mutant rednecks, (and those goddamned ghoul reavers), but not as bad as Mothership Zeta can get. Poor Madame Panada keeps getting in the way when I'm fighting smugglers, though.

Mothership Zeta - My least favorite DLC. The alien weapons are amazing, but unless I play this part early on, they aren't going to get used past this DLC anyway. Like Anchorage, the plot is on tiny rails, but now it's chock full of spongy enemies with shields that are unfun to have to deal with.

Which ones should you play? First time through, play all of 'em in any order you want, then decide which you'd play again on subsequent runs. Maybe you'll like the ones I don't. Who gives a poo poo, it's :10bux:

I can feel my nose now. Tune in to see if I ever get a root canal, when I'll bloviate about New Vegas' DLC. (Short form: Old World Blues is my favorite for the same reasons as Point Lookout.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Doodles posted:

Which ones should you play?

none

• Locked thread