Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury
Apologies if this is an unbearably repeated question, but I've recently just acquired the 2015 MBPro 13' and immediately after booting it up for the first time and installing both Chrome and Firefox, I'm noticing a significant amount of scrolling and loading lag on those two browsers compared to Safari. Even with minimal extensions running or even apps in the background, the experience is downright stuttery. Safari was running without a hitch, so I tried to turn off transparency + increase contrast but that did little to help. The last piece of advice I found was to reset the PRAM and that didn't do anything significant.

In comparison, I'm also using mid 2012 MB Air 13' on Yosemite 10.10.3 isn't experiencing this issue at all. I have an appointment with the genius bar as a check-in, but I'm curious if this is just a normal experience with the latest OX updates or if there's any potential I may have a faulty machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's the video acceleration, I know Chromium's bug tracker is filled full of outstanding issues. Some of the issues can be found on chrome://gpu/ Safari manages to perform magic that makes things work.

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury

MrMoo posted:

It's the video acceleration, I know Chromium's bug tracker is filled full of outstanding issues. Some of the issues can be found on chrome://gpu/ Safari manages to perform magic that makes things work.

Thanks for the explanation! Is there a workaround or fix that one can apply? Looks like I should cancel my reservation at the Genius Bar - everything else works well so far for all other intensive applications (Photoshop/Indesign), just really annoyed that the experience on Chrome is less than. I almost considered returning the Pro and going with a souped up Air instead...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Erinyes posted:

Is there a workaround or fix that one can apply?
The workaround is to use the excellent Safari browser.

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The workaround is to use the excellent Safari browser.

Just curious as to why I'm only experiencing lag on the 2015 Macbook pro but the 2012 Air is running without a hitch using the same Chrome/Firefox versions.

Safari being the only one that doesn't lag makes me :confuoot:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I have a Mid 2013 Air and can notice the difference between Chrome and Safari, the solution is to use Safari. I use Chrome for Gmail and Chromecasty things, multi-user Gmail seems to always break in Safari.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a lot more pixels to push on the Pro.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Erinyes posted:

Thanks for the explanation! Is there a workaround or fix that one can apply? Looks like I should cancel my reservation at the Genius Bar - everything else works well so far for all other intensive applications (Photoshop/Indesign), just really annoyed that the experience on Chrome is less than. I almost considered returning the Pro and going with a souped up Air instead...

You could try going into Chrome's settings > Show advanced settings... and way down at the bottom un-checking "Use hardware acceleration when available."

I had some luck with that on a 2010 mbp which was always forced to use its discrete graphics when Chrome was open. Be sure to close all the way out of chrome, and maybe even restart just to be safe, because Chrome doesn't let go of the hardware until all of it's helper apps are also closed and restarted.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MrMoo posted:

I use Chrome for Gmail and Chromecasty things, multi-user Gmail seems to always break in Safari.

I've gone from 1 to 3 Gmail accounts in the last few weeks due to new jobs and I've had no problems with Multi-user Gmail in Safari.

Got to agree with most people here, use Safari on Mac. Chrome is unbelievably badly optimised.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

TACD posted:

They did originally promise to open up the spec! Any day now...

And then they got sued by a patent troll with networking patents, and lost. As a result they had to alter the system from a peer-to-peer model to passing everything through their servers, resulting in $2-3 million per month in bandwidth costs. They're not gonna let non-customers use it as long as they have to pay for it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I was browsing through the El Capitan preferences and...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

And then they got sued by a patent troll with networking patents, and lost. As a result they had to alter the system from a peer-to-peer model to passing everything through their servers, resulting in $2-3 million per month in bandwidth costs. They're not gonna let non-customers use it as long as they have to pay for it.

FaceTime did work a lot better when it was peer-to-peer :(

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just upgraded my Mac Mini to Yosemite 10.10.4. It sits behind my router. I use it and Server.app for DHCP, DNS, VPN, etc. After the upgrade, I find that DNS stops working after I haven't used the network for a while. When I get up in the morning, DNS is dead. When I get home from work, DNS is dead. If I toggle DNS off and then back on, everything works, but that's incredibly annoying. It was working perfectly before the upgrade. Does anyone have any idea why DNS would stop responding like that?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

I just upgraded my Mac Mini to Yosemite 10.10.4. It sits behind my router. I use it and Server.app for DHCP, DNS, VPN, etc. After the upgrade, I find that DNS stops working after I haven't used the network for a while. When I get up in the morning, DNS is dead. When I get home from work, DNS is dead. If I toggle DNS off and then back on, everything works, but that's incredibly annoying. It was working perfectly before the upgrade. Does anyone have any idea why DNS would stop responding like that?

They probably changed the template format for Server.app's zone files, and the update / migrate process broke your configs. Anything in Console from bind?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
In Safari, is there a way to allow cookies to be set by whitelist only?

Essentially, I give it a list of domains that are allowed to set cookies, all others are deleted when I close my browser.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Another Poster posted:

So my Safari has been doing this weird poo poo lately.

It doesn't finish loading at all unless I press X to stop, then it shows everything fine. Happen to awful and a couple other site, like screenrant, pretty much no text load until I stop loading manually. Anyone know what's up? This is Safari 8.0.7. Tried with no extensions too, no change.

If you're still looking for a solution, this is probably your browser timing out while attempting to download the forums' font from Google. Try turning off your blocking stuff one by one. Maybe one of those extensions is blocking the request from going through, thinking it's AdSense or whatever. It could maybe be blocked by a JavaScript blocker too, if that's how whoever themed the forums choose to request the font.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

PRADA SLUT posted:

In Safari, is there a way to allow cookies to be set by whitelist only?

Essentially, I give it a list of domains that are allowed to set cookies, all others are deleted when I close my browser.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cookie/id415585910?mt=12

I use this.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
For automating digging out all the jpg from six years of Time Machine backups,

Putting the question out their again, for anyone who knows of software that can dig out photos from 500 gbs of TImeMachine bakups that I otherwise don;t need, and want to reclaim the space from

BobHoward posted:

code:
find /path/to/timemachine/backup -name '*.jpg'

(Assuming this is a serious answer), how do I use this?

For example, if my TimeMachine backup volume name is, in fact simply "Time", where/how do I use this?

Won't just doing a search will find several dozens copies of the same files in my iPhoto library? Or is there some logic that makes it only find the root file underneath all the links?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 15, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kapalama posted:

For automating digging out all the jpg from six years of Time Machine backups,

Putting the question out their again, for anyone who knows of software that can dig out photos from 500 gbs of TImeMachine bakups that I otherwise don;t need, and want to reclaim the space from

(Assuming this is a serious answer), how do I use this?

For example, if my TimeMachine backup volume name is, in fact simply "Time", where/how do I use this?

Won't just doing a search will find several dozens copies of the same files in my iPhoto library? Or is there some logic that makes it only find the root file underneath all the links?

That's actually a half complete. That will do a find, but not a copy.

Make sure your <backup name>.sparsebundle is mounted.

Make sure you have a folder in your Documents called "archive".

code:
find "/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/" -iname "*.jpg" -exec cp {} ~/Documents/archive \;
Depending on how large your time machine backup is, this can take a long time since it will be recursing through the entire history looking for *.jpg files.

http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_use_find_command_move_large_batch_files

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 15, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone else have trouble clean installing the 10.11 public beta? I used the apple createinstallmedia tool inside the app to make a bootable USB. Formatted my SSD and every time I try to install I get stuck at 'a few seconds left'.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I seem to be having an odd issue. I have a NAS setup for my itunes library. Until recently all my music and movies would download into the music share on the NAS. I noticed today that my 512 SSD is running out of room, and it turns out that at some point itunes decided to put any new things into the local drive. Itunes is still set to use the NAS share, and all the older files still play from there, but all new files are being put onto my local drive.

Is there a ini file or something for itunes?

I am running 10.11, but this appears to have started way before then. AT least a few months of movies and songs are on my local drive, and I just installed the beta.

How would I merge these files back over? or just deleted them and try to redownload?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyone else have trouble clean installing the 10.11 public beta? I used the apple createinstallmedia tool inside the app to make a bootable USB. Formatted my SSD and every time I try to install I get stuck at 'a few seconds left'.

Turns out my USB stick was bad. Guh. It was one of those Apple 'recovery' media sticks too that came with 10.6 Macs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone post about Affinity Photo? From the guys that released Designer a few months ago (which is a pretty awesome vector app), Photo just came out of beta and is on sale for $40 for now:
http://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

badjohny posted:

I seem to be having an odd issue. I have a NAS setup for my itunes library. Until recently all my music and movies would download into the music share on the NAS. I noticed today that my 512 SSD is running out of room, and it turns out that at some point itunes decided to put any new things into the local drive. Itunes is still set to use the NAS share, and all the older files still play from there, but all new files are being put onto my local drive.

Is there a ini file or something for itunes?

I am running 10.11, but this appears to have started way before then. AT least a few months of movies and songs are on my local drive, and I just installed the beta.

How would I merge these files back over? or just deleted them and try to redownload?
I vaguely recall an experience I had where if I had things organized a certain way iTunes wouldn't write to the external drive, I think I tried to split up certain stuff like library file on SSD and media on external or something. I think I ended up just having to keep everything together, but I'm not 100% on that.

In any case how is your iTunes and media stuff all laid out right now? Like really specific, where the library file is and the media folders and what not, where you want them to be vs where iTunes has been putting them, etc. Not entirely sure it'll help :v:, but it might give some hints as to what's going on (if it's not just a simple permissions thing?), and/or figure out a way to merge without blowing things up.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

japtor posted:

Anyone post about Affinity Photo? From the guys that released Designer a few months ago (which is a pretty awesome vector app), Photo just came out of beta and is on sale for $40 for now:
http://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Dang, I only rarely need image editing or vector editing software but I'm probably gonna end up picking both of those up.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Looking for a simple, free, tool that will basically allow me to draw rectangles and resize them using units. For example, I need to draw a rectangle on a page, and specify that it is 100 mm by 50 mm.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Dang, I only rarely need image editing or vector editing software but I'm probably gonna end up picking both of those up.

Designer has a demo. I wish Photo did. They both look great.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've gone from 1 to 3 Gmail accounts in the last few weeks due to new jobs and I've had no problems with Multi-user Gmail in Safari.

Took two days to break:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Secx posted:

Looking for a simple, free, tool that will basically allow me to draw rectangles and resize them using units. For example, I need to draw a rectangle on a page, and specify that it is 100 mm by 50 mm.

You can generate a rectangle in Pages and set the size in the "arrange" tab. Go to preferences>ruler to change the units.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a recommended Mac PDF editor? I just need to make simple changes and highlights.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What’s the way to do full image backups on OS X? I want to use Crashplan at some point, but I take it I had better use something like SuperDuper to create an image on an external NAS, which can then upload to something like CrashPlan?

And it’d be great if the image is encrypted - I already encrypt my hard drive.

Ideally, it should also be able to back up with the lid closed similar to how MAS can update apps, as long as a power adapter is connected.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 17, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

terre packet posted:

Is there a recommended Mac PDF editor? I just need to make simple changes and highlights.

Depends on what kind of changes you're talking about. Preview can do basic markup and commenting. If you want a full document review workflow (including text changes), you're going to need a PDF authoring suite, which eventually just leads back to Acrobat. While lots of programs will let you work with PDFs in various ways, the deeper content editing is something Adobe tends to reserve for themselves or for professional licensed prepress applications.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ufarn posted:

What’s the way to do full image backups on OS X? I want to use Crashplan at some point, but I take it I had better use something like SuperDuper to create an image on an external NAS, which can then upload to something like CrashPlan?

And it’d be great if the image is encrypted - I already encrypt my hard drive.

Ideally, it should also be able to back up with the lid closed similar to how MAS can update apps, as long as a power adapter is connected.

Is there some reason it has to be a full image backup? If not, Time Machine supports encryption and will back up with the lid closed like you want.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Tippis posted:

Depends on what kind of changes you're talking about. Preview can do basic markup and commenting. If you want a full document review workflow (including text changes), you're going to need a PDF authoring suite, which eventually just leads back to Acrobat. While lots of programs will let you work with PDFs in various ways, the deeper content editing is something Adobe tends to reserve for themselves or for professional licensed prepress applications.

Thanks! Preview should work fine for me then.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Is there some reason it has to be a full image backup? If not, Time Machine supports encryption and will back up with the lid closed like you want.
I don’t really have any files outside Dropbox I care for particularly; I just want to be able to run off a new hard drive/MacBook. I have 30 upload, so scheduling something like a weekly backup should be doable.

Time Machine’s Power Nap is pretty awesome, and I’ll definitely use it, if I have some folders I want backed up more regularly and easily.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
For me, for backups, a SuperDuper clone on a nearby direct connectable external disk is awesome for all kinds of things, and it way more useful than a lot of other backups plans because even if you have a hardware failure on our internal disk you can simply boot from the external and keep working.

I have been in the middle of prepping videos and had some weird thing happen with hardware, and not even had to think about things. Just boot from the external, finish things up, and later work things out.

If you have a couple of reasonably similarly aged machines in you house, you can even boot your external with someone else machine if it is another sort of hardware failure. Your whole work setup is the same because it is actually your system, just not your machine.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Is the following a hardware question, or a software question? I really have no idea.

I have been using MacBookPro for a couple of years now, and I simply like the whole setup: chiklet keys, touchpad below the keyboard, quickly adjustable screen.

I went and tried to use a desktop system because just recently found that will be times when I have to still render DVDs, and would like to see these get done faster. When I went to check things out for what sort of a desktop I want to have, I found I just can no longer hang with the keyboard/separate mouse, monitor forcing me to look up instead of down at an easily adjustable screen like a laptop, etc.

Is there a software or hardware solution to set a render up on the laptop, and then pass it to a desktop for the actual rendering? It seems like with the number of iOS type apps there might be some sort of way to pass commands to a desktop machine to do the heavy lifting, but I want to pass the work from a laptop to something faster. I remember also that there was some kind of El Gato EyeTV related thing that used to plug into a laptop and act as a renderer for some kinds of video. Are these sorts of plug-in renderers still around? Or if i have to do some faster video rendering, is there any way to run a Mac Pro machine with a laptop style interface?

Also, in a related question, what is a decent DVD authoring app these days?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

pupdive posted:

Is the following a hardware question, or a software question? I really have no idea.

I have been using MacBookPro for a couple of years now, and I simply like the whole setup: chiklet keys, touchpad below the keyboard, quickly adjustable screen.

I went and tried to use a desktop system because just recently found that will be times when I have to still render DVDs, and would like to see these get done faster. When I went to check things out for what sort of a desktop I want to have, I found I just can no longer hang with the keyboard/separate mouse, monitor forcing me to look up instead of down at an easily adjustable screen like a laptop, etc.

Is there a software or hardware solution to set a render up on the laptop, and then pass it to a desktop for the actual rendering? It seems like with the number of iOS type apps there might be some sort of way to pass commands to a desktop machine to do the heavy lifting, but I want to pass the work from a laptop to something faster. I remember also that there was some kind of El Gato EyeTV related thing that used to plug into a laptop and act as a renderer for some kinds of video. Are these sorts of plug-in renderers still around? Or if i have to do some faster video rendering, is there any way to run a Mac Pro machine with a laptop style interface?

I'm not aware of any way to accomplish exactly what you describe, but this StackExchange thread has a few suggestions you might try for controlling a desktop with a laptop. Personally I would just go with Screen Sharing or Remote Desktop. http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/107901/use-macbook-as-a-monitor-and-controller-for-imac

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pupdive posted:

Maybe this doesn't apply to rendering software, but for the past few years, most of my work besides for writing has been using some tiny Macbook to log into nice big Linux servers via ssh and tell the server to do something expensive. From at home, at the office, or wherever I travel. Haven't found a more comfortable solution to running my kind of tasks than this Macbook -> ssh into -> server solution.

You definitely want to use some tool to run analyses headless though, screen/tmux or if possible Jupyter.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Actually, I think you guys have helped see what I was thinking wrong about how to deal with this. Remote Desktop is clearly the way to go with this. I

So the next question is, since PC hardware is cheaper, is there a cross platform solution for GUI based running of some Windows desktop? Assuming Windows because there are some fairly video stabilization programs that seem to get really good marks, and I am shooting a bunch of GoPro footage.

Since I don't (presently) own a monitor, is there a software solution that would allow me to set up a Windows Box without a monitor? Or should I just borrow one for that?

(Again, thanks for seeing what I was trying to do. This sounds much more doable now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pupdive posted:

So the next question is, since PC hardware is cheaper, is there a cross platform solution for GUI based running of some Windows desktop?
Since I don't (presently) own a monitor, is there a software solution that would allow me to set up a Windows Box without a monitor? Or should I just borrow one for that?

NoMachine is a good cross platform remote desktop.

Unless you have a premade automated install created for Windows, you probably have to borrow a monitor.