Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Geokinesis posted:

I was disappointed that after forcing a sim to eat one they just got a fresh food happy moodlet.

And yet, my Sim apparently makes a fresh salad awful enough to give a bad moodlet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The Sims 4 is on sale for 40% off on GMG right now. Just the base game, not the expansion pack or the first gameplay pack.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Dopefish cameo!
http://i.imgur.com/7OkoRjR.jpg

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'll probably end up getting Patio and Spa. Both of those are more interesting to me than the luxury party thing. I pretty much just use parties in this game as a vehicle for fulfilling mixology goals, and also birthday parties to avoid that one Sad moodlet.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
What are some fun/interesting mod to install for this game? I'm seeing a lot of trait related mods, what do those do and are they worth it or is it just flavoring?

Fake edit: what's the final verdict on Get to Work? Worth the $40?

Real Edit:

VVVVVVV

Thanks! That all sounds pretty drat good so I just bought it and it's installing now. The careers sound really fun and for some reason, I'd entirely missed it would also give me cool aliens.

cyclical fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 7, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

cyclical posted:

Fake edit: what's the final verdict on Get to Work? Worth the $40?

I'm not sure in retrospect if it's worth $40, but it is a really good expansion. I'd put it on almost the same level as Sims 3 Ambitions, and it fulfills a similar role as well. The Scientist and Detective interactive careers are both really cool, but the Doctor one is somewhat uninteresting. The player-owned stores branch of the expansion includes traditional retail shops with like item displays where you have to make sales out on the floor, photography studios, and bakeries. All 3 of the new careers have a huge number of household items that you unlock as you play them; the Detective career gives you, for example, everything you need to make a full-on jail in your basement, as well as a ton of random office clutter that you can use to decorate your writing studio or whatever.
There are also aliens in there, including alien abductions and an alien homeworld "neighborhood" that you can visit using a dimensional portal. The aliens have some telepathic powers to let them influence and copy emotions, and the ability to disguise themselves as humans. Some of the human townies are aliens in disguise, which is a trait that your sims can discover the same as any other trait, which unlocks new interactions related to that fact.

There's a lot of mileage in there, especially if you enjoyed the objective-based professions from Ambitions. The 3 interactive careers play out the workday as an Event, like the party/date system, where you try to fill a daily performance meter by completing objectives.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Patch is out!

The new hotness is Not-Full Walls in five sizes, door locking, some new items, gallery and UI improvements, and the usual goofily-described bug fixes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Kins posted:

New Patch is out!

The new hotness is Not-Full Walls in five sizes, door locking, some new items, gallery and UI improvements, and the usual goofily-described bug fixes.

Door Locking was my MVP feature in Sims 3 for creating houses with like an in-law apartment. Stay the gently caress out of the real people space! You are in old people jail :argh:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Door Locking was my MVP feature in Sims 3 for creating houses with like an in-law apartment. Stay the gently caress out of the real people space! You are in old people jail :argh:

Hah, I'm glad it finally arrived. I kind of lost interest in sims4 when I realized that the house just needed a central bathroom no matter how many people are in the house. Why? Because dad will happily use his daughter's bathroom to take a leak and shower instead of his elegant master bathroom.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Don't they eventually learn which is their bathroom in the same way they learn which's their bed?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kyte posted:

Don't they eventually learn which is their bathroom in the same way they learn which's their bed?

Nope! They head to the closest toilet they can route to.

I also used it to make like special workshop and laboratory spaces that only certain sims could enter.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

I hate it when you get roped into a conversation and can't stop the interaction quickly. I lost a number of sales because of chatting.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

This is bugging the poo poo out of me, how do I manually place wall trim edges like in S3? The automatic placement won't put an edge on the highlighted section, and I can't figure out how to turn off auto-placement.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Sims 4 (or anything else you can make add up to $50+ on Origin) is on sale again for $40, through Tuesday! If you haven't gotten Get to Work yet, this means you can get it for $10 off and get the Patio or Party pack for free, or whatever else you want to do.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dad Jokes posted:

This is bugging the poo poo out of me, how do I manually place wall trim edges like in S3? The automatic placement won't put an edge on the highlighted section, and I can't figure out how to turn off auto-placement.

Click the icon next to 'Per room'?

I've not done wall trim but if it is like windows there is a button to place manually and one to just shove windows per room.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Yeah, that doesn't seem to affect the individual trim edges, just whether you want siding to cover the whole room or not. I ended up installing this "More Corners" mod to get the look I wanted.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Remember that mod someone made that added Get to Work's "Open Job" system to school? Well, the same guy's back and converting all base game careers to Open Jobs, allowing you to follow your Sims along to do pointless busywork all day instead of staring at your front door for ten minutes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Kins posted:

Remember that mod someone made that added Get to Work's "Open Job" system to school? Well, the same guy's back and converting all base game careers to Open Jobs, allowing you to follow your Sims along to do pointless busywork all day instead of staring at your front door for ten minutes.

This is actually a really cool idea that probably should have been one of the functions of the actual expansion, but yeah. The 3 real Open Jobs approach pointless busywork after the first week or so, although the skill points you rack up during work hours are a nice little perk. I can't imagine the "Business" Open Job as anything other than a completely un-funny episode of The Office.

"Joy! I get to watch my sim sit in a cube for 8 hours a day, just like I do! I get to watch my sim do exactly the job I do, but make enough money to own and maintain a beautiful home in the suburbs! I am playing this game from my single bedroom apartment in the city, where the heat accidentally shuts off due to mechanical failure at least once a month during the winter!"

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Had to remove the scumbumbo locks for the update to work. Happy that The Sims 4 didn't hold door locks hostage until half way through the expansions, but on the other hand it really feels like they stole a mod. I know that the modder didn't exactly invent the concept of lockable doors, but I preferred their UI and functionality.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

wit posted:

Had to remove the scumbumbo locks for the update to work. Happy that The Sims 4 didn't hold door locks hostage until half way through the expansions, but on the other hand it really feels like they stole a mod. I know that the modder didn't exactly invent the concept of lockable doors, but I preferred their UI and functionality.

That just happens with games sometimes. Quake III Team Arena was an expansion pack that added game modes that already existed in the form of mods that were arguably better executed.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Let's chat about baseless Expansion speculation :v:

So, based on previous outings it's pretty inevitable that we'll end up with Seasons and Pets eventually. University seems less likely this time around, unless it's like a neighborhood that contains a community college, since traveling to neighborhoods doesn't suspend time any more.

I'm curious to see if EA tries to cash in on Avengers fever with some kind of heroes & villains expansion, although I can't think of any reasonable way to make that as fun as it deserves to be within the framework of the Sims gameplay model. With the Supernatural expansion in 3, they were able to at least capitalize on popular fictional tropes of vampires and werewolves who live in the suburbs, but I kind of don't want to see a total re-hash of that content for the third time in a row. Sims 3 Supernatural was basically a power-pack of the 3 main occult states from Sims 2, plus faeries.

On the other hand, I hope the Pets expansion is more like Sims 2 Pets than Sims 3, because the Pet career paths were hilarious in a way that I'm still not convinced was entirely intentional.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 14, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A superhero/villain-themed expansion is something I've been hoping for since 3, though I think it would probably better be served as a Medieval-style spinoff. Pets is a no-brainer, I really hope we get University because I had a ton of fun with it in 3 and think the increased number of Sims in a lot and the extra time in the day TS4 offers over 3 would make it great. I'd really like to see their take on World Adventures but with the outdoors game pack I think maybe they'll do vacations as several small game packs in that line rather than a single big expansion. Also keeping my fingers crossed for a Generations-style ex-pack that re-adds toddlers.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Having not played Sims 2 or 3 I'm not sure how stuff like magic was handled in either. I really want the magic from Sims1, with all the charms and hilarious backfires that came with them.

Also Spa Day is out now I guess.
e2: Teleportation is in according to info on wellness skill.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 14, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The retail store thing is hilariously easy to make tons of money with.

Find the most expensive item you can that doesn't take up a ton of floor space (those super expensive violins and computers are great), mark the price up to max or one level under, and sell poo poo tons of them.

Was making like $150,000 a day.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Geokinesis posted:

Called it, downloading Dhalsim Simulator 2015 when I get home from work.

e: Sims 4 Spa Day: Dhalsims 4

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRnYv2EDq0

YouTube Trailer is up.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm curious to see if EA tries to cash in on Avengers fever with some kind of heroes & villains expansion, although I can't think of any reasonable way to make that as fun as it deserves to be within the framework of the Sims gameplay model. With the Supernatural expansion in 3, they were able to at least capitalize on popular fictional tropes of vampires and werewolves who live in the suburbs, but I kind of don't want to see a total re-hash of that content for the third time in a row. Sims 3 Supernatural was basically a power-pack of the 3 main occult states from Sims 2, plus faeries.

Reminds me...

code:
<Fina> After American Idol, they came out with The Sims : Superstar
<Fina> After this Harry Potter crap got popular, they came out with Makin' Magic
<Fina> lol What if next year we get a bunch of WW2 movies?
<Fina> The Sims : Heilin' Hitler

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Spa Day is a really refined stuff pack. :colbert:

Buy it with a discount unless you need it now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Geokinesis posted:

Having not played Sims 2 or 3 I'm not sure how stuff like magic was handled in either. I really want the magic from Sims1, with all the charms and hilarious backfires that came with them.

I didn't get that deep into Sims 2 Apartment Life but from my experience magic was a pain to level up and the effects were kind of lame anyway. Sims 3, though, in the old thread someone called it the "rear end in a top hat with a wand life stage". My favorite story was the sim who was both a wizard and a stage magician at the same time. Anyone who booed at their act got set on fire.

Making Magic had my favorite art style in the whole series. The over the top magician theme was awesomely creative.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 14, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

limaCAT posted:

Spa Day is a really refined stuff pack. :colbert:

Buy it with a discount unless you need it now.

Stuff packs don't have new skills. Gameplay packs do, it seems like.

Outdoor Retreat was the only thing so far that changed the core gameplay of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHDWt00HKF4 LGR provides a review already.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 15, 2015

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
On Amazon UK's Prime Day deals, the standard "PC code - Origin" for Sims 4 is down to £24.99 for the day, as long as you have Amazon Prime according to the blurb on the screen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N51NYCM

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

IAmTheRad posted:

Stuff packs don't have new skills.

Yeah I know.

I only plopped down one of the three lots and wasn't disappointed with architecture or interactions, but Outdoor Life had some killer features like the bear, the unbearable moodlet, fireleaf, a new ambition tied to outdoor life, two new character traits, a new lifetime reward and a secret lot.

Also, where is drama other than "your sim may die if he stays too much in the sauna"? (I really hope my neighbour Bob Pankakes will not die in the sauna). I don't know, I kind of expected at least an ambition tied to this pack (unless I missed it).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'll admit I was disappointed that there wasn't a wellness-related Ambition. I do like the wellness skill, though, and those 12-hour moodlets you get from yoga routines are pretty nice; it seems like it can synergize with existing ambitions on its own. Also there's a lot of pretty sweet luxury type items for if you want your 1-percenter sims to have a home spa setup.

I rearranged my neighborhoods a bit so I could put the spa and yoga studio next to each other where the gym and library were in Willow Creek. I replaced the Oasis Springs museum with a library to compensate. I'll probably replace them with less out-of-place buildings if I'm feeling ambitious. I liked how the Spa-type lot automatically prompted my sim to go change into a robe when I went to check it out. It seems like a good place to go and do a lot of socializing with easy access to positive moodlets, as long as you have some money to burn.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

mycot posted:

I didn't get that deep into Sims 2 Apartment Life but from my experience magic was a pain to level up and the effects were kind of lame anyway. Sims 3, though, in the old thread someone called it the "rear end in a top hat with a wand life stage". My favorite story was the sim who was both a wizard and a stage magician at the same time. Anyone who booed at their act got set on fire.

I once had a firefighter sim whose job was basically to respond to emergencies and set more fires. He was promoted to fire chief in spite of this because he lifted enough weights.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lizard Wizard posted:

I once had a firefighter sim whose job was basically to respond to emergencies and set more fires. He was promoted to fire chief in spite of this because he lifted enough weights.

That's some quality Sims logic.
I had a private detective who beat the hell out of everybody the game gave me the opportunity to, and was basically the source of all violent crime in the neighborhood. Private detective/kleptomaniac was an amazing combo, too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

mycot posted:

Making Magic had my favorite art style in the whole series. The over the top magician theme was awesomely creative.

Sims 2 magic felt like a huge afterthought.

Makin' Magic was the best though. I don't know how well it'll hold up for me past my nostalgia, but I do think Supernatural suffered a bit (for magic, at least) in that they tried to do include all sorts of magical creatures and whatever, whereas Makin' Magic was just witches and wizards, but fleshed out to a much higher degree.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you walked into a pyramid with a celebrity and your celebrity fell because of a trap / shat its pants / lost against a mummy then the whole town would start to hate your sim.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

limaCAT posted:

If you walked into a pyramid with a celebrity and your celebrity fell because of a trap / shat its pants / lost against a mummy then the whole town would start to hate your sim.

The psychic paparazzi was worse than the psychic curfew cops.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
FYI everybody, the patch this past week introduced a weird relationships bug :v:
It's possible for a relationship to get frozen at its current "state" (impartial, acquaintances, good friends, w/e) if you leave a lot via loading screen. The exact circumstances are unknown. The game will still see that you're at like 85% meter and put that sim in your "friends" bin, but the status of the relationship won't properly change or be reflected in goal trackers like career requirements or social Aspirations.

The only real workaround is to use cheats to make your sims forget about each other. It seems like aging up might partially fix it, too; my sim's son couldn't progress past "Good Friends" with his parents; "Become Best Friends" would basically not change their status. Once he aged into Young Adult, though, he was able to upgrade the relationship. He still can't become friends with the one guy that's still an acquaintance at like 90% meter, though, because I guess it only checks friendship = true or whatever at the time the meter actually passes the 50 threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

FYI everybody, the patch this past week introduced a weird relationships bug :v:
It's possible for a relationship to get frozen at its current "state" (impartial, acquaintances, good friends, w/e) if you leave a lot via loading screen. The exact circumstances are unknown. The game will still see that you're at like 85% meter and put that sim in your "friends" bin, but the status of the relationship won't properly change or be reflected in goal trackers like career requirements or social Aspirations.

The only real workaround is to use cheats to make your sims forget about each other. It seems like aging up might partially fix it, too; my sim's son couldn't progress past "Good Friends" with his parents; "Become Best Friends" would basically not change their status. Once he aged into Young Adult, though, he was able to upgrade the relationship. He still can't become friends with the one guy that's still an acquaintance at like 90% meter, though, because I guess it only checks friendship = true or whatever at the time the meter actually passes the 50 threshold.

What do you mean leave a lot via loading screen? I thought every lot change had a loading screen.