Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
:siren: OBAMA INCOMING :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

What a charming young man.

"if you were in charge of Iraq policy, what would YOU do?"

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 14, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yes, what would we be doing right now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Obama had so much youth and vigor. :smith:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

And then the very next night he has John McCain on. This is 2005.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

biznatchio posted:

It was the first mention that it was picked up as an actual show, not just a bit.

sorry. i tuned out because it was framed exactly the same as the other colbert report bits. god bless

dingy dimples
Aug 16, 2004
Pages late but arghhh I missed the Kurt Vonnegut episode.

I remember watching that when it originally aired and being dumbstruck that Kurt Vonnegut was still alive. Having read Slaughterhouse-5, a World War 2 novel, several years earlier, I had just assumed he was dead.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Have we gotten to where Dick Cheney shoots his friend in the face? Because that is my favorite episode. :allears:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's Christmas 2005, we've got another 2 months until Dick Cheney shoots a guy in the face.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Dimitri Marti :allears: These are pretty good.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
I think all those 360's got RROD within like 2 years

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Haha, Harry Belafonte owns

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Never heard of that documentary. Huh.

Edit: The anecdote about everyone answering Freedom reminds me of an anecdote I saw in a documentary. After Stalin's death, a bunch of Soviet diplomats came to the US as a goodwill visit. Everyone went out of their way to show how better the american system was. After a week, the diplomats came back and instead of being full of wonder at the variety of american opinions fostered by Freedom, they were amazed at the UNIFORMITY of american thought. "How did you do it?" was the question they asked.

Edit Edit: Found the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1J9ybfRWSk&t=1h15m6s

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 14, 2015

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I've taken a lot of screengrabs during this marathon, but this is the first one I've posted.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Oh man the Jack Abramoff scandal was worth it just for this awesome bob ney interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz_qq2ZcjzY

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
He's interviewing the ambassador to Iraq. This is a crucial turning point from optimist to cynic.

poo poo, Jon just characterized the Iraq war as having been dreamed up by the "leisure class." Oh man.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Martin Random posted:

He's interviewing the ambassador to Iraq. This is a crucial turning point from optimist to cynic.

poo poo, Jon just characterized the Iraq war as having been dreamed up by the "leisure class." Oh man.

please tell me the date I would like to watch this later

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

RAMPANT BUGGERY

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Veskit posted:

please tell me the date I would like to watch this later

January 16, 2005.

It's his first chance to catch departing members of the bush administration and be like, "Hey... it looks like you guys were lying to us. Can you... please tell me what you were thinking? Please... restore my faith that the world is OK...."

It's just crushing and sad.

Edit: Oh my god, now he's interviewing a former CIA director under Clinton who is now CEO of Booze Allen Hamilton.

Edit: Aaaaaaand he's advocating breaking the wall down between the FBI and the CIA/NSA because goshdarnit terrorists.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 14, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How dare you insult our unfortunate accent, Stewart! :argh:

:quebec:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Reza Aslan is a smart dude. Weird seeing him with long flowing locks.

Edit: Just watched the obama interview on the archives. Man, you kind of forget just how charismatic and quick obama is. Mostly because whenever you see him nowadays he's talking about a mass shooting or why another vital piece of legislation was blocked by congress.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 14, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Seeing all this so quickly, boy, the Dubya jokes just don't show how truly awful he was. I knew he was bad when I was a teen, but God drat.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Goddamn W was so loving terrible at speaking. I know it's the coke and alcohol abuse, but drat. Just like a brick.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Pixar CEO Steve Jobs!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Disney buying Pixar was small potatoes, wasn't it?

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
Sweet, Randy Jackson again! I get to make another post about American Idol!

This part where Jon is saying that a mentally incapacitated person goes to sing...

Fun fact: That bad singer was set up to fail by producers of the show. Cool! Pop music!

Before you go in front of the "judges", you have to sing through 3-4 rounds in front of producers. In those rounds, it doesn't matter if you can sing or not, what matters is what your background story is (if you can sing) or how ridiculous you are (if you can't sing). In a healthy program, the later group would be told that they aren't the right fit for the show, here's the name and number of a great vocal coach in the town you live in, try again in a couple of years! Nope, the producers say "hey wow you're killing it you should sing for Randy and Friends and we'll put you on tv!" and they go on camera and have a lifetime of Youtube embarrassment to deal with and we all sit back and pat ourselves on the back for being more talented or smarter than them and Randy gets to be our voice on the show and talk poo poo, even though he knew exactly who was walking through the doors. All that because of mean-spiritedness. American Idol indeed.

The good singers then get tossed around and manipulated so that the producer's choice of winner can make it to the top - the person they think will sell the most albums. Because, when you make the finals and get that sweet record deal all the profits go to the show, not to the artist. American Idol was fake processed bullshit and Randy Jackson deserves a place on the bottom rung of the poo poo pyramid that is the worst of the worst of American entertainment.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
In this segment John Hodgman predicts the future with depressing accuracy.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

The Unnamed One posted:

In this segment John Hodgman predicts the future with depressing accuracy.

Yeah, he was too conservative in calling when the housing market would collapse. Oof.

e; I just realized that it's 2006, which means over the next few days we'll get John Oliver, Aasif Mandvi, Larry Wilmore, but we'll lose Rob Corddry and Ed Helms.

Syjefroi fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 14, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
hey john boehner before he gained 15 pounds and day glo orange skin

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Pretty crazy that the Muhammad tging was that long ago.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

Haha, Victoria Clarke is about 4 years behind here. She still thinks she's in the Republican wave after 2001 but by 2006 all of this is so transparently bullshit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Syjefroi posted:

Haha, Victoria Clarke is about 4 years behind here. She still thinks she's in the Republican wave after 2001 but by 2006 all of this is so transparently bullshit.
Torie Clarke is so good on The Tony Kornheiser Show. :smith:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lol at lindsey graham spacing out and looking like a trout during Alberto's testimony

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Sweet christ, this is at least the 4th time they've run this Colbert piece on smoking.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh poo poo its the cheney shooting

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh poo poo its the cheney shooting

When the episode started I was struck by how energetic and happy Jon seemed. Then he revealed the news and it all made sense

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

"hey mom, want to be on tv?"

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

A truly awesome piece of history: Lewis Black joking about a space probe going to Pluto in 2015. Ten years ago it was like, who gives a poo poo, but it's there TODAY. IN REAL LIFE. How cool is that honestly?

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

Syjefroi posted:

A truly awesome piece of history: Lewis Black joking about a space probe going to Pluto in 2015. Ten years ago it was like, who gives a poo poo, but it's there TODAY. IN REAL LIFE. How cool is that honestly?

Yeah, that was pretty cool. And he was joking about something happening on Survivor season 26, and I'm pretty sure we're up to 31 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Syjefroi posted:

Edit: Brainfart :justpost:

• Locked thread