Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

who was the last president to get more than 2

Reagan: Scalia, Kennedy, O'Connor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Reagan: Scalia, Kennedy, O'Connor.

I keep thinking Kennedy was Bush 41, thanks.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Remember when the fascist everyone was flipping out over nominating turned out to be a secret super-liberal :allears:
Nah, he wasn't a secret super-liberal, he was just a reasonable, intelligent conservative. Or, "one of the good ones."

But he and Glenn Close really got along great.

For real though, in 2016, 3 justices will be in their 80's with a 4th entering that area within the term. It is not an absurd notion that the next president (especially assuming an 8 year term) gets to nominate 3 justices.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The cloud has come for its young.

mcmagic posted:

If the next president serves for 8 years I doubt they won't get 3... The court is OLD.

If Bernie wins, Scalia might drop off on the spot.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I know about "Oops" and the sexual harassment scandal of Cain. Did every not-Romney in 2012 have a defining moment of their downfall? Bachmann, the first frontrunner, certainly seems to have gradually levelled off.

Will Trump gradually decline in favor of a more moderate candidate, or is there some scandal or gaffe capable of hurting him?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I keep thinking Kennedy was Bush 41, thanks.

If Rick Santorum gets to replace Bryer, Ginsberg and Kenndey, we're hosed.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

If Rick Santorum gets to replace Bryer, Ginsberg and Kenndey, we're hosed.

rick santorum's only brush with the wh might be getting invited to a state dinner

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb! says that he's tired of the divisive rhetoric of Donald Trump and Barack Obama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFpzMyl3HTA

Trump... Obama.... hmm, are they brothers?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Obviously caffeine free

Looks more like dirty caffeinated diet cherry pepsi to me. :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

rick santorum's only brush with the wh might be getting invited to a state dinner

Replace him with Scott Walker. No difference. We're hosed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I thought the mormon thing was about hot drinks, which makes it even dumber tbh.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i doubt the next president gets to hit jeb bartlet levels

Well he did just make something a national park to block the path of the nuclear waste train, does that count?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
According to Eleanor Holmes Norton, Hillary wants DC statehood.

Unrelated, here's a video of Holmes Norton trying to park.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Choo choooo

And pro-life businesswoman Carly Fiorina responded:

quote:

“I am proudly pro-life. I believe that every human life has potential and that every human life is precious. This latest news is tragic and outrageous. This isn’t about “choice.” It’s about profiting on the death of the unborn while telling women it’s about empowerment.”

Senator Ted Cruz, another pro-life presidential candidate, has also issued a statement calling for Congress to launch an investigation.

quote:

“Today’s news regarding allegations that Planned Parenthood is possibly selling the body parts of the babies it has aborted is sickening.

“There is no place for taxpayer funding of organizations that profit from taking away innocent life, much less profiting off the bodies of the lives they have stolen. Congress should immediately begin an investigation of Planned Parenthood’s activities regarding the sale and transfer of aborted body parts, including who is obtaining them and what they are being used for. And it should renew efforts to fully defund Planned Parenthood to ensure that its morally bankrupt business receives not one penny of taxpayer money.

“I proudly stand on the side of life and remain committed to fighting for all innocent life to be valued and protected under the laws of this nation.”

http://www.lifenews.com/2015/07/14/rick-perry-and-carly-fiorina-slam-planned-parenthood-for-selling-body-parts-of-aborted-babies/

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
The question of this election.

Can you actually buy the primary?

It's always been the defacto support success level meter.

On the right you have the Koch brothers(two individuals) using Scott Walker as their money vessel. R-Money bought his primary last time witht eh help of PACs, I guess its just how it works on the right.

On the left you have Bernie running against Hillary on anti-money, for what Hillary thought since she already had all the money support lined up was is a sure win.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Choo choooo

And pro-life businesswoman Carly Fiorina responded:

Senator Ted Cruz, another pro-life presidential candidate, has also issued a statement calling for Congress to launch an investigation.

http://www.lifenews.com/2015/07/14/rick-perry-and-carly-fiorina-slam-planned-parenthood-for-selling-body-parts-of-aborted-babies/
"We need to launch a full investigation to determine how any of this makes any sense at all."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

According to Eleanor Holmes Norton, Hillary wants DC statehood.

Unrelated, here's a video of Holmes Norton trying to park.

good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"We need to launch a full investigation to determine how any of this makes any sense at all."

Planned Parenthood-ghazi

Planned Parenthood-gate?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

site posted:

Planned Parenthood-ghazi

Planned Parenthood-gate?

PP-gate

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ah, have we finally found our new BENGHAZI!!!!, at long last?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

BlueBlazer posted:

On the left you have Bernie running against Hillary on anti-money, for what Hillary thought since she already had all the money support lined up was is a sure win.

I think you're getting ahead of yourself if you think Hillary's thinking of her nomination being a sure thing in the past tense.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
FiveThirtyEight has a truly excellent page listing campaign endorsements and providing an explanation of their importance.

It'll be in the OP.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Is a single Democratic candidate that hasn't said they oppose citizens united? Both Sanders and Clinton said it was a litmus test for SCOTUS nominees.

But O'whoever et al have come out against it too right?

Clinton won't touch it as president thanks to the millions she receives from corporations. I'm frankly surprised that she even has the balls to mention it in the campaign at all, do you have a video or source?

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 14, 2015

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

Joementum posted:

The RNC doesn't control who gets invited to the debates, the media channels do. They could beg :foxnews: not to let Trump in, but good loving luck getting a TV station to throw away that ratings bonanza. Their alternative would be to refuse to show up for the debate, which might have worked for Romney in 2012, but with a field this crowded just makes it easier for Christie or Rand to edge in on their territory. Their best move is to show up, say "I'll cut taxes" and "I'll repeal Obamacare" a few times and hope the field winnows itself somehow by December.

More importantly, why are the networks doing this weird adult table of 10/kiddie table of 6 thing and why is the RNC permitting it? Why not just have two debates, each with a panel of eight chosen randomly? The difference between one candidate having 4% versus another having 5% makes no substantive difference. The RNC candidate who is the most ridiculous is one of the frontrunners!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

FiveThirtyEight has a truly excellent page listing campaign endorsements and providing an explanation of their importance.

It'll be in the OP.

Nate's shop is slowly redeeming itself.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

BlueBlazer posted:

The question of this election.

Can you actually buy the primary?

It's always been the defacto support success level meter.

On the right you have the Koch brothers(two individuals) using Scott Walker as their money vessel. R-Money bought his primary last time witht eh help of PACs, I guess its just how it works on the right.

The Kochs aren't putting the weight of their money behind Walker in the primary, they're waiting until the general election to drop their $1billion.

They've gone on record saying they like Walker and will probably donate the maximum individual contribution to his primary campaign ($2700), and it's likely that their interest in him could flag support from others in the invisible primary. But they're not going to use up their war chest just to push Walker into the nomination; he's still going to have to stand on his own.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Grijalva'd!

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

qwertyman posted:

More importantly, why are the networks doing this weird adult table of 10/kiddie table of 6 thing and why is the RNC permitting it? Why not just have two debates, each with a panel of eight chosen randomly? The difference between one candidate having 4% versus another having 5% makes no substantive difference. The RNC candidate who is the most ridiculous is one of the frontrunners!

I'd imagine the RNC is in favor of it as a way to start narrowing down the field. The candidates who don't make the cut for the debate will probably see their already minuscule support dry up, and will drop out earlier than if they were part of a second, equal debate.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mr.48 posted:

Clinton won't touch it as president thanks to the millions she receives from corporations. I'm frankly surprised that she even has the balls to mention it in the campaign at all, do you have a video or source?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary:_The_Movie is a video for you

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

mcmagic posted:

3 SCOTUS seats might differ with you on that.

Three? Who's up other than Ginsburg?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr.48 posted:

Citizen's United was an organization dedicated to trashing Hillary Clinton, she probably hates that decision more than any other person running. I'm pretty sure she also stated that it would be a litmus for any court nominees.

Edit: The case was over whether it violated election laws to broadcast this movie trailer so close to primaries.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 14, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Brannock posted:

Three? Who's up other than Ginsburg?

Ginsburg is 82, Scalia is 79, and Kennedy is 78 so those are who to put money on.

Breyer is 76 so he will more than likely make it two more terms unless he retires.

Sadly Roberts, Alito, and Thomas are only 60, 65, and 67 respectively.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

the thing is, only one of rubio or bush get to stay in the race (they draw off the same base) where as walker draws from a different wing, that will gain support after the other 85630 candidates go away.

Isn't Walker part of the Establishment crew along with Christie? The difference is that Walker seems to actually be drawing support from a couple different GOP cliques while everyone else seems to be stuck splitting the vote of individual cliques with other candidates.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If Bernie wins, Scalia might drop off on the spot.

Nah, his pure and undying hate will have him in triathlon shape and on a vegan diet by January 20 2017. His hate will sustain him for a hundred years if need be.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I thought the mormon thing was about hot drinks, which makes it even dumber tbh.

Some actual info, gotten from real Mormons:

There's a few schools of thought. It wasn't strictly written down what hot drinks meant, back in the day. It was *generally known* that it meant coffee and tea.

The church's official position is "Look. It says no hot drinks. No coffee and tea. That's all we're gonna say."

In actuality, people do one of the following:
1. No caffeine at all, obviously that's why it was written down. This means decaf is fine. And soda.
2. No coffee or tea at all. That means soda is fine.
3. No coffee, tea, or caffeine of any type.
4. gently caress that, I'm going to Dunkin Donuts instead of church.

My theory which is obviously wrong but pretty funny, is that "hot drink" really meant rum and whiskey, because those were the hard liquors of the time. Just warning against getting drunk. Seriously, this is 100% wrong, but I love espousing it as a theory.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Ginsburg is 82, Scalia is 79, and Kennedy is 78 so those are who to put money on.

Breyer is 76 so he will more than likely make it two more terms unless he retires.

Sadly Roberts, Alito, and Thomas are only 60, 65, and 67 respectively.

Wow, Thomas was young when he nominated.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

silvergoose posted:

Some actual info, gotten from real Mormons:

There's a few schools of thought. It wasn't strictly written down what hot drinks meant, back in the day. It was *generally known* that it meant coffee and tea.

The church's official position is "Look. It says no hot drinks. No coffee and tea. That's all we're gonna say."

In actuality, people do one of the following:
1. No caffeine at all, obviously that's why it was written down. This means decaf is fine. And soda.
2. No coffee or tea at all. That means soda is fine.
3. No coffee, tea, or caffeine of any type.
4. gently caress that, I'm going to Dunkin Donuts instead of church.

My theory which is obviously wrong but pretty funny, is that "hot drink" really meant rum and whiskey, because those were the hard liquors of the time. Just warning against getting drunk. Seriously, this is 100% wrong, but I love espousing it as a theory.

Personally, I like the idea of it being taken literally. All drinks are fine, as long as they are appropriately chilled. God doesn't want you to burn your mouth, it really hurts!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr.48 posted:

From: https://www.hillaryclinton.com/the-four-fights/revitalizing-our-democracy/

Reduce the influence of money in politics posted:

Appoint Supreme Court Justices who will protect the right to vote
We have to reduce the influence of big money in politics. The next president should appoint Supreme Court Justices who will protect the right to vote and not the right of billionaires to buy elections.

and

Reduce the influence of money in politics posted:

Propose a Constitutional amendment for campaign finance reform
We need to undo the Supreme Court’s damage in Citizens United and stop the endless flow of secret, unaccountable money that is distorting our elections, corrupting our political process, and drowning out the voices of everyday Americans—even if it takes a Constitutional amendment.

she also has this to say about big donors:

An era of political dysfunction posted:

Donations of the few overpower the voices of the many
Campaign spending by the 100 biggest political donors in 2014 nearly exceeded the amount contributed by the 4.75 million citizens who donated $200 or less. Since Citizens United, fewer than 200 donors and their spouses have funded 60 percent of the $1 billion in Super PAC spending.

And here's an article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-hillary-clinton-citizens-united-supreme-court-20150518-story.html

She's not afraid of losing the "liberal/centrist but wealthy" money, what's their alternative? Sanders? Bush?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Personally, I like the idea of it being taken literally. All drinks are fine, as long as they are appropriately chilled. God doesn't want you to burn your mouth, it really hurts!

I can get down with a protective god like that :unsmith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

God would quickly reverse His position after He sees the unholy markup most coffeeshops apply to iced coffee.

Also Supreme Court nominations seem like a place where a President will make ideological choices regardless of their donors, it's too big a deal for half-measures. If Hillary says she'll pick anti-Citizens United candidates I'd believe it, especially since the decision itself was made against her in the first place and I'm pretty sure the Republicans have been the bigger beneficiaries of the decision so it aligns with straight-up party self-interest. If you think Hillary's that compromised by money you should be worried she's planning to deliberately throw the election because the wealthy would prefer a Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Joementum posted:

It'll be in the OP.

what is this poo poo

no trump no sanders no fun

• Locked thread