Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?

Rincewind posted:

Sometimes in groups you just get outright bad advice, too. Like the Brayflox where "Gohan Sama" the DRK told me that, as a MCH, I should use Blank in dungeons all the time.

if you can toss things into rocks / walls so they dont go far its a free dps ogcd vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Rincewind posted:

Sometimes in groups you just get outright bad advice, too. Like the Brayflox where "Gohan Sama" the DRK told me that, as a MCH, I should use Blank in dungeons all the time.

He was right though?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

drink slurm posted:

if you can toss things into rocks / walls so they dont go far its a free dps ogcd vOv

He specifically wanted me to knock things away from him and then leg graze them so they'd come back to him even slower. Maybe he was thinking in terms of mitigating damage by minimizing the time mobs he had aggro on are actually attacking him, or something?

It was really weird, anyway. He seemed so excited and totally stoked when I finally just did it once to shut him up I didn't have the heart to press the issue.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Rincewind posted:

Blank without melee dps is a net group dps incease, and even if you don't have a second ranged dps it's not hard to blank so the other dps doesn't miss any time on their GCD. It's annoying that something like Blank does damage while Leg/Foot Graze or whatever don't (it should be the other way around from a utility perspective) but not using blank is always going to be a personal dps loss.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPkRRC-7onM

How do I disable the party hard mode?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
So... he was right????? Like when HW came out everyone was complaining about MCHs using Blank and hurtling mobs away from the tank in dungeons????????????????????????????????????????

maybe i shouldn't be allowed to play video games

edit: or at least DPS in them

edit: so as a tank should i not be annoyed when mobs are knocked away from me??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
When ARR came out people were adamantly telling others not to use Leg Sweep/Steel Peak on all content.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If your tank is okay with it, yes, it's fine, and if your tank isn't okay with it who cares they're loving bad anyway.

e: no you should not care when mobs are knocked away from you because it takes like 4 seconds to generate a sizeable enmity lead

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rincewind posted:

He specifically wanted me to knock things away from him and then leg graze them so they'd come back to him even slower. Maybe he was thinking in terms of mitigating damage by minimizing the time mobs he had aggro on are actually attacking him, or something?

It was really weird, anyway. He seemed so excited and totally stoked when I finally just did it once to shut him up I didn't have the heart to press the issue.

It's not a bad idea in early dungeons when healers lack some healing tools and DPS can't poo poo out AOE like they do at 50+. It's only a problem if your tank isn't ok with it, and it looks like your tank was imploring you to do that, so???

e: it's also an interrupt that works on everything that can be knocked back and doesn't suffer from diminishing returns

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 14, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Truga posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPkRRC-7onM

How do I disable the party hard mode?

Take off your artifact gear.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

it looks like the one who was bad at video games................ was me................................... :smith:

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?
i dont blank things often in aoe trash groups tbh ill just leave them in the loving embrace of my bishop turret and her ample area of effect.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
No one cares if you blank or not, just don't operate under the illusion it isn't a dps loss.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As a dragoon, please don't knock mobs back.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Evil Fluffy posted:

If it's next to the boss just let a melee DPS grab it and murder it for you. It's what I do on MNK in goon groups since it's not like our DPS is lacking.

In Normal Alex there is no downside to having the tank do it as long as they don't cleave people so who cares.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

kafziel posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought, but then this guy is saying to drag the Oppressors there and I'm like, what

Yeah that's the problem of Vermain's post assuming folks play in the same environment and use the same methods. It reminds me of that stupid poo poo of tanking Bone Dragon north.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Rincewind posted:

I've had people tell me not to use WM on the last boss of Fractal because there's too much movement, which really just isn't true. There's some movement, sure, but not enough that you can't manage it by stutter-stepping between GCDs. Last night I heard it from another bard that was way behind me in DPS, and I didn't say anything because DPS dick-measuring really is the worst (even if it's very occasionally necessary) but I had to kind of roll my eyes at the guy.

I started running ACT when I was trying to clear Bismarck EX, since I was constantly running into PF groups that just couldn't bring the damage and I figured I needed to have some idea who was lagging behind for my own sanity. Since then I've kept it running and reference it every now and then just 'cause I want to know how well I'm doing and make sure my DPS at least remains acceptable; even if I don't care to go all the way down the optimization hole, I like being able to check and make sure I'm at least basically competent at my current job. Plus it helps me determine the most effective use of my AST card buffs.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 14, 2015

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
^^^
You got bad advice, as you guessed. If a BLM can keep up Enochian, then the bard should be in WM. The movement in that fight can be handled by slide casting in all but the most extreme cases.

cheetah7071 posted:

As a dragoon, please don't knock mobs back.

This. As a caster, please don't cancel my casts by blanking the mob I'm targeting :v:

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 14, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I have a good idea, let's let our own fears and insecurities blind us to what anyone is actually saying and scream at each other over the imagined slights that are simply not present in a statement like "maybe it would be good if DPS had some in-game indication as to whether they are meeting the minimum standard performance level for the content they are doing" for like, 30 more goddamned pages.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I have a good idea, let's let our own fears and insecurities blind us to what anyone is actually saying and scream at each other over the imagined slights that are simply not present in a statement like "maybe it would be good if DPS had some in-game indication as to whether they are meeting the minimum standard performance level for the content they are doing" for like, 30 more goddamned pages.

{Same}.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the minimum standard is passing the dps checks. if you're not passing them, surprise! you're not doing enough damage. do more damage.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Maybe it would be good if DPS had some in-game indication as to whether they are meeting the minimum standard performance level for the content they are doing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Garin posted:

Yeah that's the problem of Vermain's post assuming folks play in the same environment and use the same methods. It reminds me of that stupid poo poo of tanking Bone Dragon north.

Both methods work, and neither is especially suboptimal. It's not really critical which one people do, provided that it serves to clear the content.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
hey guys, i think gauss barrel is pretty neat. aight, peace

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Maybe it would be good if DPS had some in-game indication as to whether they are meeting the minimum standard performance level for the content they are doing.

You mean like beating the content??

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I am very angry because I often play while crossfaded and on acid and being kicked from a dungeon makes the spiders come oh god keep the spiders away what are you doing spiders i need that leg what is a leg anyway oh god oh god oh god.

You loving rear end in a top hat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the minimum standard is passing the dps checks. if you're not passing them, surprise! you're not doing enough damage. do more damage.

The problem with this is that the job of doing enough damage is shared between 4+ people, so it's easy to think that you're doing enough damage while everyone else is slacking.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I do wish there was a way to call out absolutely atrocious people without risking a ban, if only in content where it actually matters. I don't see how to do that without causing the harassment they want to avoid though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Running the Aery and I never noticed but it's covered in Allagan machinery throughout the background. I wonder if that has implications for hard mode?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Verranicus posted:

You mean like beating the content??

Since people posting this poo poo think it's clever, the problem is in an 8 or sometimes even 4 person group, there's no accounting for individual performance so Oblivious McPubberson/goon facerolls their way through something and is carried by people who are actually good, but then go on huge whiny shitfits and witch hunts when they are in competent but average/mediocre parties incapable of carrying them. Ryu Monjin is particularly famous for this kind of thing.

Like I had a Bismarck EX once where someone was trying to witch hunt the top DPS and sacrifice them in effigy for their own numerous and frequent failures because one of the accessories' item levels on the top DPS was deemed sub par and I couldn't say poo poo about it because I didn't feel like getting banned.

Basically between blaming themselves or God, these kinds of people choose to blame God, with God being the rest of the party that is getting poo poo on while carrying their rear end. As such, it is not unreasonable to suggest that maybe a more personal indicator showing individual DPS whether or not they are carrying their own weight is in order.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Minrad posted:

Running the Aery and I never noticed but it's covered in Allagan machinery throughout the background. I wonder if that has implications for hard mode?

Maybe the Allag tried to contain Nidhogg like they did with Tiamat but it didn't work our he eventually broke out.

Or dragons build their nests like birds so Nidhogg just gathered some Allagan ruins for building materials. There are certainly enough of them all over the place.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Boten Anna posted:

I am very angry because I often play while crossfaded and on acid and being kicked from a dungeon makes the spiders come oh god keep the spiders away what are you doing spiders i need that leg what is a leg anyway oh god oh god oh god.

You loving rear end in a top hat.

At least the parser shitpost wars are mildly entertaining. Perhaps the rear end in a top hat was you all along! :aaaaa:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Vahalla posted:

At least the parser shitpost wars are mildly entertaining. Perhaps the rear end in a top hat was you all along! :aaaaa:

Fracture.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I had some pub wondering why I wasn't using it on my DRK :downs:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I had some pub wondering why I wasn't using it on my DRK :downs:

Hang on guys I need to use a gcd for my 20 potency dot.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

cheetah7071 posted:

I do wish there was a way to call out absolutely atrocious people without risking a ban, if only in content where it actually matters. I don't see how to do that without causing the harassment they want to avoid though.

What's sort of ironic is that by taking a hard line against parsers this problem starts to get worse and worse as time goes on.

The issue is that when good players don't have the option of naming or trying to correct bad players, they opt for plan B, which is to minimize the amount of "content that matters" they have to risk being with bad players for. Raid statics are a no-brainer and have existed forever, but over time people start eschewing party finder for extreme primals when they can, same for the 24 mans when it's possible to wrangle that many players into a premade. Hell, a lot of people in my FC don't even bother solo queuing for expert or high-level roulette anymore. Why bother, when it's pretty easy to find 3 people you know and run it quickly and reliably rather then risk getting a horror show going in blind?

This is not the only reason why players can be bad, obviously, but I see it as contributing to why some of the late 2.x story trials and a lot of current Heavensward content have had pretty rough success rates when you're running with random players. The game is two years old, social circles and FCs are well established and both DF and PF are well on their ways to becoming a dumping ground for people who don't have a network of other players to tap when they want to do things. They're not there yet, but this is the start of how player groups calcify as an MMO gets older.

Would having an offical DPS meter (or at least not dropping the hammer on ACT users) fix this? It might make it better, but like you said it could just as easily lead to harassment and witch hunting. From the perspective of the random player who wants to become better the easiest solution is always going to be to hook into a circle of like-minded players and go from there.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

What about just a individual DPS meter then? Something that people who care can look at and compare with their friends and shitlords can just lie and be loving awful like they would anyways.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

cheetah7071 posted:

Using third party tools is a ban. Looking at the snake hp in Bismarck ex and cross referencing it with the dps assigned to it on the other hand..

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Tarranon posted:

Using third party tools is a ban. Looking at the snake hp in Bismarck ex and cross referencing it with the dps assigned to it on the other hand..

You should post more I like look at your avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What about just a individual DPS meter then? Something that people who care can look at and compare with their friends and shitlords can just lie and be loving awful like they would anyways.

or we could add DPS meters

• Locked thread