Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle25482176/

quote:

Big realtor warns against rate cut, fears ‘more difficult correction’

Don't cut rates, LePage says

One of Canada’s major real estate firms is urging the Bank of Canada not to cut interest rates tomorrow.

Royal LePage says it’s worried that a cut in the central bank’s benchmark rate could “over-stimulate” already high-flying markets such as Toronto and Vancouver.

Those are the two Canadian cities deemed the most frothy, with prices running up sharply as consumers add to already swollen debt levels in a low-rate environment.

“While the oil shock has been a troublesome drag on our economy this year, it seems premature to ring the recession alarm bells now, injecting further monetary stimulus,” said LePage chief executive officer Phil Soper.

“The country’s all-important real estate market simply does not need a rate cut,” he said today in releasing the firm’s look at how the market performed in the second quarter.

“I worry that stoking this engine further could move us from a perfectly manageable major market expansion into a more difficult correction, as price levels decouple from more household incomes.”

Royal LePage's warning came as the latest reading showed Canadian home prices climbing yet again, though that’s because of gains in specific home types and regions.

Prices rose 1.4 per cent in June from a month earlier, marking the sixth straight jump in a row, and 5.1 per cent from a year earlier, according to the Teranet-National Bank home price index released today.

Vancouver and Toronto again led the way, with prices up 8.5 per cent in the former and 7.8 per cent in the latter on an annual basis.

The index is now at a fresh high, but only Toronto, Vancouver and Hamilton are actually at record levels.

“In these markets, well above average price growth from a year ago reflect tight resale market conditions,” said National Bank senior economist Marc Pinsonneault.

Those gains, though, aren’t across the board, with condo prices up 4.7 per cent and 3.2 per cent, respectively, in Toronto and Vancouver and others up a far sharper 10 per cent.

“Were it not for non-condo dwellings in these two regions, house prices at the national level would have risen rather modestly over the last year,” Mr. Pinsonneault said.

The Bank of Canada is set to announce its rate decision tomorrow morning, and some market watchers say there’s a good chance it will follow January’s surprise cut with another, which bring the key rate down to just 0.5 per cent.

The central bank is counting on a bounce in non-energy exports to help juice the economy, hoping the economic buoys will shift to trade and away from consumers.

A rate cut tomorrow could threaten that, warned Derek Holt of Bank of Nova Scotia.

Such a move, he said in a recent report, “risks delaying the rotation of growth sources away from the household sector and toward the investment and export sectors through over-stimulating consumption and housing and setting a low bar for hurdle rate targets.”

loving lol

A loving realtor wants the BoC to PLEASE THINK OF OUR EQUITY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

the talent deficit posted:

Hospitals, fire departments and schools are built to a standard high enough that if they are taken down in an earthquake you probably have other things to worry about. Like how pretty your corpse is.

Isn't that going to be the main issue though? If Vancouver gets "the big one", isn't it supposed to potentially be the strongest earthquake in recorded history. Which means standards don't mean poo poo when literally nothing can stand up to force of the earthquake.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Look what I really want to know is whether I should buy some parachutes and/or hang gliders and be on my balcony ready to ditch my condo building if it starts to crumble.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Lol at that loving housing development less than 1km away from the YVR runways.

I've often had lunch at Aberdeen like 5km away and the descending/ascending planes would give me a jump. I can't imagine how insanely desperate for luxury housing in the ~world class city~ of Vancouver Richmond people must be if they are willing to live a stone's throw away from one of the busiest airports in the country.

Though who am I kidding, it's not like the houses will actually be inhabited. :v:

Or if they are, it won't be by the owners, but rather 20 ESL students crammed in curtained-off :airquote: rooms :airquote: at 800$/mo.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Post earthquake the housing market will suffer a small correction because most of Vancouver will be on fire, or but then people will realize it's now time to buy, because on average it'll be another 250 years until the next mega quake.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I would imagine after an earthquake people would pay double to get into a house now

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Femtosecond posted:

Post earthquake the housing market will suffer a small correction because most of Vancouver will be on fire, or but then people will realize it's now time to buy, because on average it'll be another 250 years until the next mega quake.

Yep. Take a look at what happened to new Orleans after Katrina.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Aren't some of the new condos at the base of the Don River in Toronto sinking? That's all reclaimed land that was Lake Ontario a hundred years ago. I was told that the Canadian Tire at Leslie and Lakeshore is sinking too, they've had to remove all their garage bay doors because the structure has shifted so much.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hope realtors are banking all their commission because when the bubble pops they will actually have to work to move inventory.

We like to go to open houses despite having no intention of moving, just to get an idea of what's going on in the area. Every realtor hasn't been able to tell me anything about the house other than the obvious cosmetic features. They don't deserve their commission at all given that they only do a couple hours of paper work and show up to the open house before an offer comes in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cowofwar posted:

Hope realtors are banking all their commission because when the bubble pops they will actually have to work to move inventory.

We like to go to open houses despite having no intention of moving, just to get an idea of what's going on in the area. Every realtor hasn't been able to tell me anything about the house other than the obvious cosmetic features. They don't deserve their commission at all given that they only do a couple hours of paper work and show up to the open house before an offer comes in.

Every realtor I know sinks all their money into buying more investment condos which they mortgage to get the downpayment for their next investment condo. Realtors aren't really clever scam artists, they're really drinking their own Koolaid because they're just that dumb.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Also is anything in Canada not a luxury rental or condo or house anymore? There only seems to be two types: investment property (code for run down piece of poo poo in which renters are forced to live for $$$), or luxury units that are basically the same as above, generally tiny but they have granite countertops.

The number of houses I've seen with shiny kitchens but with obvious foundations or brick/mortar in disrepair asking near million dollar levels is incredible. Most of these kitchens are clearly not even designed or used by someone that cooks. I spend almost all my free time in my kitchen and the layout is extremely important, stuffing fridges in corners, having sinks bizarrely far away, having massive empty space in the center, having useless islands blocking flow, just so many terrible kitchens. I get the sense that everyone is buying from a speculation point or view, not one that looks for functionality, security or anything else that is important for a home.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 14, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cowofwar posted:

Also is anything in Canada not a luxury rental or condo or house anymore? There only seems to be two types: investment property (code for run down piece of poo poo in which renters are forced to live for $$$), or luxury units that are basically the same as above, generally tiny but they have granite countertops.

The number of houses I've seen with shiny kitchens but with obvious foundations or brick/mortar in disrepair asking near million dollar levels is incredible. Most of these kitchens are clearly not even designed or used by someone that cooks. I spend almost all my free time in my kitchen and the layout is extremely important, stuffing fridges in corners, having sinks bizarrely far away, having massive empty space in the center, having useless islands blocking flow, just so many terrible kitchens. I get the sense that everyone is buying from a speculation point or view, not one that looks for functionality, security or anything else that is important for a home.

Cargo cult house flipping. The TV showed me someone installing granite in a lovely house and making an extra 100k so I too will do that. Every buyer is also an investor with their mind primarily on re-sale value so they buy that poo poo up. They could put a 2nd layer of granite on top and DOUBLE their profit!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Canadians loving love premium this and luxury that. I've never seen such egregious abuse of those words anywhere else.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
TV Host - "So, what do you guys think of property number 1?"
Man - "Seems fine."
Woman - "I like it, but it doesn't have the upgrades I want. There's no granite countertops..."
TV Host - "It's got great access to schools and shopping, though. And there's a great park next door."
Woman - "... but, but granite countertops!"

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canadian speculators will eventually learn about the concept of inherent value when the run-down house near transit and schools holds its value while their suburban mcmansion in a food desert drops by half and their 600 sqft investment condo down by the train tracks sits empty and unwanted while the building turns in to a ghetto.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

It's because most people don't bother to cook any more, hence the proliferation of lovely restaurants to cater to their laziness. I share your frustration with awful kitchens with lovely loving storage space and an absurd layout.

Besides, anyone who's ever had them knows the real luxury countertop is Corian because you can then have sinks with no annoying lip for poo poo to get caught in. My folks have that, and it's the loving best. Makes cleanup a snap, and looks every bit as good as granite in my opinion.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
My countertops are made out of laminated glue and saw dust which is nice because it is quiet and my nice glass and ceramics don't detonate on contact. I have a lot of dinner parties and no one has ever cared, although perhaps I have been secretly judged.

At least an old kitchen is cozy and warm. A modern kitchen in which you eat microwave dinners is dead and sad.

The kitchen thing is actually such a weird concept because people who can cook well don't actually use any of that poo poo. Induction cook tops, super heavy copper pots, granite, and all those other lovely overpriced low quality but pretty looking things at kitchen boutique stores. It's all form over function and someone that does a lot of cooking is all about function since it will all get tarnished and scratched with use and needs to be resilient.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 14, 2015

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

It's because most people don't bother to cook any more, hence the proliferation of lovely restaurants to cater to their laziness. I share your frustration with awful kitchens with lovely loving storage space and an absurd layout.

Besides, anyone who's ever had them knows the real luxury countertop is Corian because you can then have sinks with no annoying lip for poo poo to get caught in. My folks have that, and it's the loving best. Makes cleanup a snap, and looks every bit as good as granite in my opinion.

Look at this pleb, doesn't even know about under-mount sinks

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I really like induction stoves. Probably the fastest heating stove that I've ever used.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

My ~luxury rental building~ has undermount sinks and they are really nice, not sure if this is the precise material though.

On the other hand it has a lovely 2-element electric stove but who cooks anyways?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Cultural Imperial posted:

Canadians loving love premium this and luxury that. I've never seen such egregious abuse of those words anywhere else.

My friend you have not lived in Asia.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

My ~luxury rental building~ has undermount sinks and they are really nice, not sure if this is the precise material though.

On the other hand it has a lovely 2-element electric stove but who cooks anyways?

Wow bay area working poor itt.

#donthave5million

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Induction is great with cast iron pans

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Wow bay area working poor itt.

#donthave5million

If I didn't get 3 gourmet meals a day at work I'd probably starve.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

blah_blah posted:

Being a lazy piece of poo poo who's bad at cooking and too ashamed to eat out has really helped me lose weight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

apatheticman posted:

Look at this pleb, doesn't even know about under-mount sinks

Judging by google images, there's still a lip on some if not all of the undermount sinks. With Corian, it's a continuous surface because it's the same material. It's spendy as gently caress compared to a normal metal sink, but that's acutal luxury for you, isn't it?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

You and all your colleagues will be first up against the wall.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do modern inductions still buzz or hum when in use, or is that something they've solved by now?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

You and all your colleagues will be first up against the wall.

Yeah, I've always assumed that that existential risk is factored into our salaries.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do modern inductions still buzz or hum when in use, or is that something they've solved by now?

They still buzz like crazy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-14/oil-rout-idling-canada-factories-may-force-second-poloz-rate-cut

quote:

Brett Murray has a million pounds of steel plates sitting on the floor of his plant north of Toronto. The chief executive officer of Jebco Industries Inc. has to figure out what to do with them after Royal Dutch Shell Plc canceled a major equipment order last week.
The project was put on hold multiple times before being scrapped, contributing to a 20 percent decline in sales for Jebco as Shell and other companies in Canada’s oil patch cut investments following a slide in crude prices.

“I’m very stressed about it,” Murray, 49, said. The factory in Barrie, Ontario, about the size of three football fields, makes everything from holding tanks to pipes. “Our issue is how do we fill the void with oil-sands projects, which has been driving our economy for the past five years?”
Canadian factories, already struggling to capitalize on a rebound in U.S. growth and a weaker currency, are now hurting at home as the impact of the oil rout spreads to firms in Ontario and Quebec that supply the energy industry.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
They'll refit to make breweries and fermenting tanks for craft beer, don't worry.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I drive past this place on the way to work, its massive and one of the last surviving manufacturing plants that employs a decent number of people. :(

Ceciltron posted:

They'll refit to make breweries and fermenting tanks for craft beer, don't worry.

There is so much unintended(?) irony in this post. In case you arent familiar, Barrie used to be the location of Molson's second largest brewery plant until they closed it back in the 90s. Also, the countries largest indoor grow op bust was discovered inside the empty plant a few years later. :v:

Barrie, people are still moving here for some reason.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Barrie the best place on earth. Everyone wants to move there for the scenery, the restaurants, the world class

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Barrie the best place on earth. Everyone wants to move there for the scenery, the restaurants, the world class

When I think "Jobs, Prosperity, and The Canadian Way of Life", I think about Barrie, Ontario

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Furnaceface posted:

There is so much unintended(?) irony in this post. In case you arent familiar, Barrie used to be the location of Molson's second largest brewery plant until they closed it back in the 90s. Also, the countries largest indoor grow op bust was discovered inside the empty plant a few years later. :v:

Barrie, people are still moving here for some reason.

That's crazy, I had no idea

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The reason I hear the most is "to be closer to the cottage".

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Considering how long weekend traffic on the 400 from south of Barrie to Parry Sound makes rush hour on the 401 seem downright pleasant, I can almost believe that.

Except for the fact that drat near everyone in Barrie gets stuck in traffic on the way home from working in Toronto so really there's no advantage.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Considering how long weekend traffic on the 400 from south of Barrie to Parry Sound makes rush hour on the 401 seem downright pleasant, I can almost believe that.

Except for the fact that drat near everyone in Barrie gets stuck in traffic on the way home from working in Toronto so really there's no advantage.

Ill take a picture of the 400 northbound on Friday and southbound on Sunday just so you have an idea. Its mind boggling, especially on long weekends where Ive heard that they have estimated over a million vehicles travel through the city via the 400. I have no idea how people can afford the time or cost to do it every drat weekend in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I did that trip once when they were in the middle of extending the 401 and there was still a large section that went from 2 lanes per direction down to one. Picture hundreds of thousands of cars all waiting to merge because nobody in this entire country seems to understand how to zipper merge.

And then someone has an accident.

I at one point coming home I decided to be That Guy, went up up the off ramp and back down the on ramp heading in the same direction (I think here https://goo.gl/maps/C4xgb ). We watched the cars behind us and timed it. It saved us over twenty minutes. It was literally a walking pace.