Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

willemw posted:

I was going to joke that there is no way Lance could troll so hard without any troll-enhancing drugs, but when you look at his past it's just a logical progression really

Lance has a seperate twitter he usually trolls people with (@juanpelota) or someting too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It would need someone to report on the developing controversy, telling a story without talking about it directly.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Lance trolled L'Équipe to an extent I didn't think was possible:

quote:

Banni à vie du monde du cyclisme, Lance Armstrong n'est pas interdit de s'exprimer. Et il ne se gêne pas pour donner son avis même quand personne ne lui demande ou ne veut l'entendre, utilisant notamment pour cela Twitter où il compte 3,8 millions de followers. Avant de polluer de sa présence les 13e et 14e étape, qu'il courra les 16 et 17 juillet prochain en faveur d'une association caritative, à la veille du passage du Tour, l'Américain a cru bon, ce mardi, de livrer son «analyse» de la première étape de montagne du Tour de France 2015, distribuant les bons et les mauvais points comme s'il était encore le maître du jeu. Une façon d'orchestrer d'ores et déjà sa présence autour de l'événement qui suscite un certain malaise.

("Banned for life from the world of cyclism, Lance Armstrong is not forbidden from expressing himself. And he doesn't hesitate to give his opinion even though no one asked for it or wants to hear it. ... Before sullying with his presence the 13th and 14th stages, which he will ride one day before the Tour for charity, the American saw fit to deliver his "analysis" of the first mountain stage of the TdF 2015, distributing good and bad points as if he was still the master of the sport ["gamemaster"? lol if so]. One way of already now orchestrating his presence around the event that arouses a certain unease.")

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

The Guardian is owned by the same person that owns Sky.

BSkyB is owed by Rupert Murdoch, The Guardian is not part of his media empire.

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

No, it isn't: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Trust_Limited

As someone above pointed out, they are redacting comments because of the UK's libel laws, and websites' accountability for comments, rather than some kind of hidden agenda. The Guardian is about as far removed from Sky, in British media terms, as you can get. While I wouldn't argue against there being a degree of both naivety and wilful ignorance in the British press towards Sky's performances, it's a bit much to suggest that there's a countrywide conspiracy to protect the integrity of British Cycling at work.

Crystael fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 14, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

serious gaylord posted:

Whut. Sky is Murdoch.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

African AIDS cum posted:

6.1 W/kg for 42 loving minutes

Werent the estimates about some of Nibali's climbs last year around this number too? I would've thought it would be higher. In the EPO era I believe 6.7 was the number you needed to be able to hold to compete

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

Werent the estimates about some of Nibali's climbs last year around this number too? I would've thought it would be higher. In the EPO era I believe 6.7 was the number you needed to be able to hold to compete

He did 6 w/kg for 20 mins on the Hautacam, which I don't think anyone believes was clean

Really though Froome wasnt the worst today. Fat track rider Geraint Thomas putting almost a minute into Contador after being on the front for so long. Absolutely taking the piss.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

That Armstrong number from '04 will never cease to be funny.

Here's hoping for another "Extra-Terrestre" or "Naturellement" headline from L'Équipe.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I was just starting to like Thomas and thought he might have progressed pretty cleanly.

I always remember Wiggins weirdo interview in 2011 with this bit about him:

"I spent a lot of time in the group finishing an hour down most days and that's where the heroes are for me," he said. "Guys like Geraint Thomas, 21 years old - for the last two weeks I've watched him drag himself through the Alps and the Pyrenees on nothing but bread and water. For me they are the real heroes of the Tour de France - not the guys on the million Euro contracts who are being done for blood transfusions and things like that."

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Ted Ed Fred posted:

So what drugs do we think the sky guys are taking, an how are they getting away with it? How could the UCI catch them if they are indeed doping?

Since no one has answered, the current speculation is AICA ribonucleotide, Telmisartan, and HGH.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Skarsnik posted:

Lol if you are not literally making GBS threads yourself with pure anger that someone is obviously doping in a field full of people doping

Unless it's a rider everyone likes then it's ok

drink as many sweet pubbie tears as you like but it's still going to be another boring rear end tour with froome at the helm

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
So when Froome gets his results vacated is Quintana the new world champion?

Does he get a belt?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
http://sport.bt.com/more-sport-hub/more-sport/froome-to-undergo-independent-tests-S11363992532123

Its cool guys Froome is going to have some independent doctors prod him a bit after the tour to let everyone know he is a Clean Rider

e: I just saw the "rest day" comment where he implied that maybe other riders didn't take care of themselves as well. This is something I would expect to hear from Armstrong circa 2002

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

http://sport.bt.com/more-sport-hub/more-sport/froome-to-undergo-independent-tests-S11363992532123

Its cool guys Froome is going to have some independent doctors prod him a bit after the tour to let everyone know he is a Clean Rider

Lance did this too lol

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I dodged this until I got a chance to watch this stage. What the gently caress is going on in this sport? How are we expected to believe that pillows and bed rest in the middle of a three week tour make a 2 minute difference between the next best rider? Sky is really taking the piss at this stage.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It's still technically marginal gains whether or not the marginal gains are from AICAR :eng101:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Incremental gains through doing fuckall during a rest day, not participating in the Giro, and a visit from Dr. Aicair

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
just watched the stage

lol

what really pisses me off (coz really, you cant help but just laugh at most of it) is that we sat through 10 'transitional' days to start the loving tour and the first day out BOOM over. FFS man, if youd at least leave it till like stage 18 or something you prick.

Aussie post stage talking heads saying sky have the best 'sports science' LOL. well yeah, chemistry and biology are science i spose.

Box Hill Strangler fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 15, 2015

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

goatface posted:

What W/Kg did Wiggins do for his hour? Anyone know?

I know for a fact that for a 70 min TT, Wiggins would target 450w for the first half and 500w for the second half. His actual numbers were a little lower than his target, but not much. I don't think he did the negative split thing for the hour record and obviously the W is more important that the kg when you are riding indoors on a track.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Box Hill Strangler posted:

just watched the stage

lol

what really pisses me off (coz really, you cant help but just laugh at most of it) is that we sat through 10 'transitional' days to start the loving tour and the first day out BOOM over. FFS man, if youd at least leave it till like stage 18 or something you prick.

Aussie post stage talking heads saying sky have the best 'sports science' LOL. well yeah, chemistry and biology are science i spose.

I mean, they aren't wrong. The best doping doctors are also the best sports scientists. See: Michele Ferrari and how his method became the standard way to calculate power output. These doctors are the only ones who get to experiment on world class athletes.

I'm frustrated as a fan because every year it becomes clearer that the best competitors in endurance sports are the ones with the best doctors. Whether they are in the grey area like NOP or they are straight up cheating won't be known for 5-10 years, but whether or not everyone is cheating, we are seeing a competition more between team doctors than athletic ability

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
Just caught up on the stage and I've only got two words: Not Normal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Withnail posted:

I know for a fact that for a 70 min TT, Wiggins would target 450w for the first half and 500w for the second half. His actual numbers were a little lower than his target, but not much. I don't think he did the negative split thing for the hour record and obviously the W is more important that the kg when you are riding indoors on a track.

If he's targeting a TT, he'd be heavier to get that kinda power, right? Might not need crazy W/kg.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Andy Dufresne posted:

I mean, they aren't wrong. The best doping doctors are also the best sports scientists. See: Michele Ferrari and how his method became the standard way to calculate power output. These doctors are the only ones who get to experiment on world class athletes.

I'm frustrated as a fan because every year it becomes clearer that the best competitors in endurance sports are the ones with the best doctors. Whether they are in the grey area like NOP or they are straight up cheating won't be known for 5-10 years, but whether or not everyone is cheating, we are seeing a competition more between team doctors than athletic ability

Don't forget the disbenefit there is to poor Colombians in favor of Yankee Imperialiast swine.

that is important too

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
@taylorphinney 13h13 hours ago For me at my lightest that would be exactly 500w for 41 minutes... Um.

Edit. On the bright side, Tejay dropped Nibali and Contador, on the down side if he keeps riding like this and has no bad luck, he will get another 5th place.

Withnail fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 15, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Another Vayer video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbO_te8cv7c

Clean cycling!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
All the non-Froome Sky riders blew up the day after Ax 3 Domains in 2013. Maybe something similar will happen today and he'll get isolated on a big descent and fall off a cliff. Thin hope but it'd be nice for this to be a bit more of a race.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Withnail posted:

@taylorphinney 13h13 hours ago For me at my lightest that would be exactly 500w for 41 minutes... Um.

Edit. On the bright side, Tejay dropped Nibali and Contador, on the down side if he keeps riding like this and has no bad luck, he will get another 5th place.

Tejay is a big a fraud as Froome.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Froome crashing on the descent is the only thing that can save this race from tedium but porte will probably win anyway

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Porte is 45 minutes back, the best he can hope for is a stage win.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Astana have promoted Fulgsang to leader after Nibali threw another wobbly.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

How convenient is it that yesterday's stage was entirely new so there is no data or video to compare Froome's monster ride with? :tinfoil:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

peanut- posted:

All the non-Froome Sky riders blew up the day after Ax 3 Domains in 2013

They were probably running out of doping and had to keep the remainder of the doping for the biggest doper (Froome).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Porte will probably target the mountains classification now.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I fear after this furor Sky and Froome will reign in their performances.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Pocket posted:

I fear after this furor Sky and Froome will reign in their performances.

I thought they would yesterday after the stuff over the weekend but nope

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
All this reminds me of an anecdote I've heard about Merckx being berated by a race organizer or a TV commentator for attacking and racing ahead before the coverage started: "No one wants to watch you win races singlehandedly, that's bad for us, for the sponsors and bad for you".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

greazeball posted:

How convenient is it that yesterday's stage was entirely new so there is no data or video to compare Froome's monster ride with? :tinfoil:

There's a bunch of Pro data on Strava that is pretty interesting to sift through. Robert Gesnik has his data up and he pulled 409w up the climb - Ten Dams was about 2 min slower and averaged 354w - Froome was at least minute and a half faster than Gesnik and if I read Gesnik's data right, he was somewhere close to 5.8w/kg for the climb. 20 min power was about 430w or 5.96w/kg.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

If this were a normal race I'd love to see some of the good climbers going on long ranged breaks from the Col d'Aspin or Tourmalet for the stage win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bardet is riding with Cav and the other sprinters today.