Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I finally ordered Forbidden Stars.

To say I am excited for it to arrive would be an understatement :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Solemn Sloth posted:

I finally ordered Forbidden Stars.

To say I am excited for it to arrive would be an understatement :getin:

Gonna re-iterate: it is amazing.

Make sure you remember that you can only have 3 of each counter (cache, forge, reinforcement) because the stupid Learn to Play book doesn't tell you that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I finally got Dungeon Lords to the table after owning it for like a year or two. We really enjoyed the system of giving orders with imperfect information, but not everyone liked the combat minigame. Eclipse was a hit until the first game where the dice really screwed over two players. Archipelago is liked, but one player in particular doesn't like the potential disconnect between what you do to get ahead and what you do to score points. They all like economic games and don't necessarily mind some direct conflict.

So: recommendations for complex engine-building games, possibly with some direct interaction, but not king-making and not just "take that"?

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

homullus posted:

I finally got Dungeon Lords to the table after owning it for like a year or two. We really enjoyed the system of giving orders with imperfect information, but not everyone liked the combat minigame. Eclipse was a hit until the first game where the dice really screwed over two players. Archipelago is liked, but one player in particular doesn't like the potential disconnect between what you do to get ahead and what you do to score points. They all like economic games and don't necessarily mind some direct conflict.

So: recommendations for complex engine-building games, possibly with some direct interaction, but not king-making and not just "take that"?

Argent: The Consortium is what comes to mind when I read that request.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

homullus posted:

Argent, by God Argent.

There is direct interaction, and you can be screwed with. But if you are screwed with you WILL get a bonus and it requires a hefty investment in resources from an opponent. There is hidden information, like archipelago, but the resources you obtain directly help you build an engine in addition to be requirements for votes (the victory points of the game).

It is by far the most fun I have ever had with a worker placement game and my second favorite game period.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Our first couple of games of Eclipse were reasonably friendly, everyone learning the ropes. People would reach a bit when expanding territory, aware of the risk of losing a system from a stretched out defence.

Then the third game someone decided to go heavy on neutron bomb interceptors.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

Ultra Pro is a brand.

...The type, the style, the whatever

There's a million different kinds of Ultra Pro sleeves, and i'm just looking for the one that fits pathfinder and has a high quality kind of gloss pvc, along with it being slightly stiff but still rather bendy. It's much better than their .99 per 100 2 5/8 x 3 5/8 poo poo, that's for sure.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

...The type, the style, the whatever

There's a million different kinds of Ultra Pro sleeves, and i'm just looking for the one that fits pathfinder and has a high quality kind of gloss pvc, along with it being slightly stiff but still rather bendy. It's much better than their .99 per 100 2 5/8 x 3 5/8 poo poo, that's for sure.

I think you are referring to Ultra Pro Standard Size Deck Protectors. Not sure if there is another name for them. I get mine from Potomac Distribution, here.

EBag
May 18, 2006

homullus posted:

The correct answer is Keyflower.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Madmarker posted:

Argent, by God Argent.

There is direct interaction, and you can be screwed with. But if you are screwed with you WILL get a bonus and it requires a hefty investment in resources from an opponent. There is hidden information, like archipelago, but the resources you obtain directly help you build an engine in addition to be requirements for votes (the victory points of the game).

It is by far the most fun I have ever had with a worker placement game and my second favorite game period.

Is Argent playable with 5 people, or is it just so much of a slog you shouldnt bother? It looks cool, but my usually game group is at least 5 people.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Are there any good matte sleeves out there that don't have pokey corners?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Is Argent playable with 5 people, or is it just so much of a slog you shouldnt bother? It looks cool, but my usually game group is at least 5 people.

I've played it with 5 twice. It'll definitely be a longer game, but apparently people are fine with Forbidden Stars taking five loving hours.
It took us two and a half hours with 3 new players. And about 2 hours with all regulars. But these are regular board game players regardless.
This is more general advice for the game than specifically with 5, but do not play it with AP prone players. They will more likely than not just break.

Also never played it with 6, don't really plan on. That would probably break me too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Scyther posted:

No sleeves. Rubber bands for storage. Riffle shuffle. :colbert:

I do this too but the condition of my Twilight Struggle deck is making me reconsider.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Generally speaking I play it with 5, however I should offer the caveat that everyone in the group is fairly experienced at gaming and we have little to no issues with AP.

Argent is a game that is scientifically designed to engender AP, there are tons of decisions that can be made every turn and you have to grok all possible decisions at once before you can really decide what decision you want to make. It is a great game but it WILL go slowly if you are playing with people who suffer from AP.

A typical 5 player game can take anywhere from 2-3 hours and usually ends up right at 2.5 hrs. Your first game will probably be somewhere between 3-3.5 hrs for gameplay and an additional 30-45 minutes for rules explanation.

The other thing to be aware of is table space. The game is absolutely massive and will devour tables. If you do not have a large enough table, you simply will not be able to have a 5 player game.

This is a picture I stole from a quick google search that gives you an idea of the table footprint. Note this is a 3 player game:

There are ways you can condense this, but the point still stands that the game takes a LOT of space.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
When I think about my games that use cards I've been quite inconsistant with sleeving. I sleeved 7 Wonders because cards were being shuffled a lot and always slid under each other when played, sleeves made this a lot easier. I've sleeved Pandemic because again, there's a fair amount of shuffling and damaged cards can give an indication of what cities or events are coming up. Then I have games like San Juan and Port Royal were I haven't bothered to sleeve the cards at all but have just as much shuffling as the others.

Also, going to pick up Last Will from the FLGS this evening. PLayed it at the weekend and quite enjoyed it, and after describing it to my girlfriend she's quite keen to give it a go.

"A game about spending money?" she says, "and it has horses?!"

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 14, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If I play a game often enough where penny sleeves will wear down, then I upgrade to FFG sleeves. Also gently caress any game with "normal" sized cards that aren't actually Magic-sized. I'm looking at you, Summoner Wars.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

EBag posted:

Check out the SA forum game here!

/shamelessplug

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Going to the game store today and think I might grab Imperial Assault based on the opinions in this thread. Any thoughts on Run, Fight or Die for a 2 to 4 player game for a group with my wife and another couple?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, Star Trek Catan is the only one I've ever played and it's pretty good. Because of that I don't know when/where these dead turns would be :shobon:

Well, especially in the early game, you're limited to just a handful of numbers that generate resources. So there are lots of turns where you get just one resource, or no resources, or the resources you have are not good enough to build anything.

This means you have many turns where you literally roll the dice, sigh, and pray someone will trade with you. This is the biggest flaw with Catan, by far.

The support cards largely (but not entirely) eliminate that. For example, if you have Scotty, you can build starship with a green and anything else, or red and anything else. You don't have to have red+green. It is way easier to build ships.

McCoy is similar for dev cards. Sulu lets you move existing ships similar to how boats work in Seafarers. Kirk and Chekov let you do something about scenarios where you would normally lose cards or miss out on resources. Uhura lets you /[force]/ a player to trade with you. Spock straight up gives you a resource card when nothing rolls for you. Rand lets you trade 2:1.

These all give you ways to do something when you otherwise could not due to lack of cards or the lack of the right cards.

I find that this is an elegant solution to the game's biggest flaw.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 14, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Madmarker posted:

The other thing to be aware of is table space. The game is absolutely massive and will devour tables. If you do not have a large enough table, you simply will not be able to have a 5 player game.

This is a picture I stole from a quick google search that gives you an idea of the table footprint. Note this is a 3 player game:

There are ways you can condense this, but the point still stands that the game takes a LOT of space.

Yeah. Even leaving aside the "Harry Potter so kawaii!" theme, I would literally never get that game on the table.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I played Caverna for the first time last night and it was amazing. Too bad there isn't a kawaii desu version :(

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Chill la Chill posted:

I played Caverna for the first time last night and it was amazing. Too bad there isn't a kawaii desu version :(

That is because dwarves use axes and hammers, not hanzo steel.

The dwarf sighed as he drew his battleaxe.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DonnyTrump posted:

Argent: The Consortium is what comes to mind when I read that request.

I would not have described Argent as a "complex engine-building game". I've never done much in the way of engine building with it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Echophonic posted:

That is because dwarves use axes and hammers, not hanzo steel.

The dwarf sighed as he drew his battleaxe.

I'll make a reskinned version where you're japanese samurai, you harvest rice and nappa, live in a sukiya-zukuri, and go on missions of honor. I'll make millions.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Are you guys buying all the board games on the Amazon Spectacular tomorrow?

One of the all should be Concordia -- it's my little German darling these days

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is there any way to find out yet what might be on sale? I think I can reference my bgg wishlist or add some of the super sexy stuff to my Amazon wishlist

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

EBag posted:

They said a possibility of interaction not "Game will end with a fatal stabbing by a shank made from cardboard hex tile"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They said a possibility of interaction not "Game will end with a fatal stabbing by a shank made from cardboard hex tile"

I have actually had my eye on Keyflower for a while, even before the recent chat and pbp link. It's just hard to find at a price with shipping that I am ok with. I like what I have seen of it, though. The main objection I foresee is that it's another Euro thematically -- they practically leapt at Eclipse because it was space and pewpewpew. But they can deal with it.

EBag
May 18, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Are you guys buying all the board games on the Amazon Spectacular tomorrow?

One of the all should be Concordia -- it's my little German darling these days

Definitely, if you like euros at all you should get this one. Super elegant mechanics, really easy to pick up and teach, decent interaction and scales pretty well.

homullus posted:

I have actually had my eye on Keyflower for a while, even before the recent chat and pbp link. It's just hard to find at a price with shipping that I am ok with. I like what I have seen of it, though. The main objection I foresee is that it's another Euro thematically -- they practically leapt at Eclipse because it was space and pewpewpew. But they can deal with it.

It looks like a pretty standard euro but plays like no other, once you finish the game no one will care about the theme at all. If you have any sore losers though becareful, like Dr.Voodoo said you can really gently caress over someone else's plans if you feel like it but it's an amazing game.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The theme throws everyone off who plays it for the first fine without knowing the game. It has art like some children's book about the pilgrims. The best description I have of heard of the game is "A knife fight in a locked trunk." I have yet to play a more blood thirsty game. I have had players act vindictive towards someone in other games because of the poo poo Keyflower brew

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

From the Keyflower PBP:

ETB posted:

I hate you, Aston.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there any way to find out yet what might be on sale? I think I can reference my bgg wishlist or add some of the super sexy stuff to my Amazon wishlist

I don't think so. They've released a preview of some of the electronics going on sale but that's about it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tragedy Looper came into stock suddenly today at my FLGS so I had to snag that up, quite looking forward to playing it.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Would anyone who hasn't had a chance to try it out yet be interested in a PbP campaign of Imperial Assault?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Would anyone who hasn't had a chance to try it out yet be interested in a PbP campaign of Imperial Assault?

I would love to see someone do this, but I would strongly suggest that PBP would probably be way too slow, especially when trying to handle all the potential interrupts. From my experience doing Descent campaigns a weekly session at a specific time tends to work, using a Vassal module (one exists, it's a bit rudimentary but it works).

Stelas fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 15, 2015

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Stelas posted:

I would love to see someone do this, but I would strongly suggest that PBP would probably be way too slow, especially when trying to handle all the potential interrupts. From my experience doing Descent campaigns a weekly session at a specific time tends to work, using a Vassal module (one exists, it's a bit rudimentary but it works).

Yeah, totally aware of the possibility that an entire campaign would probably take months to work through doing it PbP. I'm fine with that. Part of doing it is wanting to improve on the quality of the materials the dudes over at BGG are using for their PbP stuff.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Yeah

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Yeah, totally aware of the possibility that an entire campaign would probably take months to work through doing it PbP. I'm fine with that. Part of doing it is wanting to improve on the quality of the materials the dudes over at BGG are using for their PbP stuff.

I'm glad you're aware of the possibility! I'm just wary of stuff like:

Enemy shoots, are you going to reaction shot?
*A week passes*
No.
Okay, here's the attack and defend, are you going to activate your rerolls?
*A week passes*
Nope, it's fine.

*Repeat three times*

That's the end of my activation. Which of you are up next?
*A week of discussion passes*

Basically I think you're going to have to be ruthless regarding slow posters and you're going to have to make a lot of assumptions as to when to use rerolls on attacks or defence (i.e. always apply rerolls to the first roll where it would be useful unless told otherwise, tell people to CO their counterattacks ahead of time, etc)

All of that said, if you can pull it off, absolutely go for it, and all the more power to you. If you complete it, that would also basically remove any excuse I have for not figuring out how the gently caress to PBP a game of Android because jesus christ if someone can PBP an entire campaign I can surely PBP a hot mess.

e: Additionally, I would still recommend you grab one of the two(?) VASSAL modules floating around because if nothing else that will make it drastically easier to create board images.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 15, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've never played ImpAss and if you're cool with that I'd be down for a PbP. I think a lot of that "interplay slowdown" can be overcome by people simply telling you in advance what they want to do (yeah, I'm gonna reaction shot the first rear end in a top hat who triggers it and I'll use my reroll if I need to). But yes, PbPs can be very, very slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Stelas posted:

Enemy shoots, are you going to reaction shot?
*A week passes*
No.
Okay, here's the attack and defend, are you going to activate your rerolls?
*A week passes*
Nope, it's fine.

*Repeat three times*

That's the end of my activation. Which of you are up next?
*A week of discussion passes*

Yep, that's the nature of the beast. I think it'll mostly work itself out with tough deadlines and dedicated players. Not particularly worried.

I grabbed the Vassal modules, and while most of the cards were alright, I was unimpressed with the quality of the tiles and tokens (both dpi and color quality), so I'm working with better quality scans that I might backport into the module when I'm done cleaning them up.