Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Democrazy posted:

I'm attempting to use the CK2-EU4 converter and I can't seem to locate my converted save anywhere on EU4. I converted from CK2 twice without any issue, but when I load up EU4 I can't actually find the save to load. Is it usually in the saved games or in the new games section? Is there any trick to this or is it not loading?

Also, I'm converting from vanilla CK 2.4.1 to EU4 1.12.2.0 (all major expansions except Common Sense). How hosed is this save going to be? 'is it going to work at all?

When you convert a game I believe it shows up in the launcher as a "mod" instead of in the game as a save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

How do vassals work regarding trade power?

I wish there was some way to dominate a country sort of like a vassal but just for trade power. They don't have to give any money, they don't have to join in wars, all they have to do is give their trade power.
You can declare war on a country and demand trade power from them in a peace deal without making them a vassal or conquering anything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bort Bortles posted:

You can declare war on a country and demand trade power from them in a peace deal without making them a vassal or conquering anything.

Right but that isn't permanent, it's only for the duration of the truce. I wish there was something that basically turned a vassal into functioning something like a trade company. In the existing system do vassals even give any trade power to their master?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baronjutter posted:

Right but that isn't permanent, it's only for the duration of the truce. I wish there was something that basically turned a vassal into functioning something like a trade company. In the existing system do vassals even give any trade power to their master?
Something like Scutage, but for trade power rather than taxes basically?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Something like Scutage, but for trade power rather than taxes basically?

I guess something like a March but for trade. You can't annex them so they are happy, but they have to give you their trade power.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
So basically a protectorate that stays your protectorate after it westernises?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Attack Spain directly like a true ghazi.

I would if I weren't scared of Mega-Commonwealth (which stretches from Poland to the Urals) taking a poop all over me as soon as I start taking attrition in Spain.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I thought transfer trade power is permanent until you or they cancel it and until it's cancelled you can't attack them either. You can even request it while at peace if your powerful enough.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Transfer trade power gets auto cancelled upon vassalization.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Zettace posted:

I thought transfer trade power is permanent until you or they cancel it and until it's cancelled you can't attack them either. You can even request it while at peace if your powerful enough.

It's only "permanent" if it was arranged diplomatically.

On that note, is there something screwed up with the calculations for accepting trade power transfer. Austria keeps bugging me about it, and I feel like there's some misunderstandings about our relationship. My army is twice as big as theirs and my force-limit almost four times.
If I hired a dip-rep advisor I could get them to transfer 15% trade to me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

VDay posted:

What's the general strategy with Tabarestan? Thinking about going for This is Persia with them as my next game. Just looking around they seem to pretty much be hostile to all of their big neighbors, and even if they weren't the religion/army/navy size penalties seem like they prevent you from allying with Timurids, QaraQ, Ottos, or Mamluks. I'm thinking of trying to expand up and across the Caspian first into Shirvan or Gazikumukh depending on who they ally, but I'm not too sure how to go about not dying in the meantime.

Do you just improve relations with all your neighbors and pray?

I just did a game with them after reading your post and QQ declared on Timurids within a couple of years, I sniped 1 province from them (so as to no longer be locked in) by making a 10k stack and parking it on their capital, then conquered Shirvan and gradually vassaled all of the lovely Caucasus states. You make tons of loving cash from owning a bunch of Persian trade power provinces and the OE was throwing me subsidies every now and then so it was actually really easy. You also have insane morale from your religion, NI and maybe Piety bonus.

Due to missions the Timurids seem to rarely give a gently caress about you and QQ frequently gets into a horrible early game was vs. the Timurids or OE so this strategy should be relatively easy to repeat, the AI is very reluctant to attack you while you're seiging their capital due to the terrain.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Once I can make client states I'm absolutely going to get rid of my north african holdings. I wish I could actually release them as a vassal now.

I still wish client states were available much sooner or from the start. They're too fun to put off to the second half of the game. Easy to mod, I guess, but still....

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Chickpea Roar posted:

On that note, is there something screwed up with the calculations for accepting trade power transfer. Austria keeps bugging me about it, and I feel like there's some misunderstandings about our relationship. My army is twice as big as theirs and my force-limit almost four times.
If I hired a dip-rep advisor I could get them to transfer 15% trade to me.

The acceptance modifers for the trade power transfer are bugged. Or at least the economic difference modifier is. Depending on how much development you have this modifier is supposed to go from -60 when you have less to +20 when you have much more. However if you are MUCH smaller then the nation you want trade power from this modifier breaks and always outputs +20.

Example: 117 development teutons and 5000 development poland gives +20.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Chickpea Roar posted:

I could have sworn that getting a trade power transfer during a peace treaty didn't allow me to attack to attack that nation until I broke the trade power transfer.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I still wish client states were available much sooner or from the start. They're too fun to put off to the second half of the game. Easy to mod, I guess, but still....

Yeah, they should be in from the start imo. Luckily, it's a really easy change as you said.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SeaTard posted:

Yeah, they should be in from the start imo. Luckily, it's a really easy change as you said.

Can you change this for a game in progress?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Star posted:

Perfectly historical.

You missed a chance to found Gotlanama.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

I imagine so. Just go find where they activate (tech files?) and adjust.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Bort Bortles posted:

Probably not. Right now the converter is really hard to use because it has not been updated for all the map changes that came with Art of War and Common Sense.

Oh goddamnit. Does anyone know of any way to make it work? Reverting to old versions? Anything like that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

I imagine so. Just go find where they activate (tech files?) and adjust.

Sorry, which file controls that?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Yes, maybe. The change is simple. But making the change will change your checksum, so any online ironman game you are doing won't load.

To change it, you simply edit common/technologies/dip.txt, and move the line "allow_client_states = yes" from tech 23 to tech 0. And of course it's best to do this by creating a mod for it instead of editing your base files.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\ just listen to this dude

Baronjutter posted:

Sorry, which file controls that?

I'm on my phone, but I'm betting its in the diplo(?) Tech file that defines what you're granted each tech level. So in common/ and then I don't remember if those are still tucked in a tech/ directory or just in with everything else.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Democrazy posted:

Oh goddamnit. Does anyone know of any way to make it work? Reverting to old versions? Anything like that?
Not that I know of. I've heard you pretty much need to edit the file(s) that the game spits out once the converter does its thing so you can fix the new provinces that have crazy ID#s, fix religons and cultures, tech levels, ect

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I haven't tried it but what stops you from booting EU4 with a previous patch that doesn't have the new terrain, like 1.5?

Export CK2 -> Launch EU4 at patchlevel below 1.8 (so probably 1.7 or 1.73) - I believe that was the art of war patch with the new terrain, see how it goes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

RabidWeasel posted:

Due to missions the Timurids seem to rarely give a gently caress about you and QQ frequently gets into a horrible early game was vs. the Timurids or OE so this strategy should be relatively easy to repeat, the AI is very reluctant to attack you while you're seiging their capital due to the terrain.

Yeah I started a game and Timurids and QQ have both left me alone so far. What ideas did you take? I'm not really sure what to go with at the start.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You missed a chance to found Gotlanama.
Hmm, I sense a possible reason to take over the new world. Only too bad that I already have enough difficulties holding on to my 13 provinces Gotlander Colombia. They really get rebellious easily when your nation consists of 8 small islands scattered all over the world.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While I don't think I really gained anything strategically when I had Bohemia chuck the deuces and leave the HRE, I think there's a certain emotional gain in telling the people that I couldn't have a female emperor but Austria could. Similar to how I became prodestant because the Pope never gave me more cardinals than Austria.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

VDay posted:

Yeah I started a game and Timurids and QQ have both left me alone so far. What ideas did you take? I'm not really sure what to go with at the start.

Admin, core cost reduction is always good and more / cheaper mercs for all the meatgrinder wars.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I have a core on Sirvan on the west bank of the Caspian. I attacked Bukhara so I could snag Kizil-Su, on the east bank of the Caspian, and work my way toward Samarkand, but I can't take any of the Bukharan provinces that I've occupied because I "can't make them a core" despite having the Imperialism CB for their provinces on the Caspian and a core on a province on the neighboring sea zone. :confused:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The wiki mentioned the AI may avoid calling you into war if you're in debt- is that true? And does it just check to see if you have loans or not?

I wonder if it'd keep me out of some of my Allies dumber wars...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

The wiki mentioned the AI may avoid calling you into war if you're in debt- is that true? And does it just check to see if you have loans or not?

It would be the same reasoning as the AI uses when deciding whether to come into your wars, I'd assume - so it'd check the total cash value of your loans versus your gross income, probably. Watch the reasoning the AI gives when you mouseover 'call ally' - you can easily spot them running hundreds or thousands of ducats into debt.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have a core on Sirvan on the west bank of the Caspian. I attacked Bukhara so I could snag Kizil-Su, on the east bank of the Caspian, and work my way toward Samarkand, but I can't take any of the Bukharan provinces that I've occupied because I "can't make them a core" despite having the Imperialism CB for their provinces on the Caspian and a core on a province on the neighboring sea zone. :confused:

The Caspian isn't a real sea zone.

If I'm western tech and I annex and spit out a native, will they inherit my tech/government? I'd like someone to develop provinces for me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm going for Basileus and I've got the Ottomans completely controlled. The bad news is Genoa has Caffa and Naxos and they're allied with Russia, Austria, and Hungary. I have no idea how the gently caress I'm going to pull this one off. I had to restart so many times to get a good enough start and it's going to piss me the gently caress off if I lose this achievement because of Genoa allying with Russia.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

The AI uses the same logic that it uses to decide whether to join your wars in whether it will call you into its own. Having low manpower, war exhaustion, truces, royal marriages with the people it's attacking and loans all make it less willing to call you in.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Node posted:

I'm going for Basileus and I've got the Ottomans completely controlled. The bad news is Genoa has Caffa and Naxos and they're allied with Russia, Austria, and Hungary. I have no idea how the gently caress I'm going to pull this one off. I had to restart so many times to get a good enough start and it's going to piss me the gently caress off if I lose this achievement because of Genoa allying with Russia.

Declare war on one of their minor allies or wait until Russia or Austria is tied up etc. Feels like some noob loudly cries about AI alliances every 2nd page.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gitro posted:

The Caspian isn't a real sea zone.

:doh: I've killed a whole generation of Turks for no reason.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Node posted:

Hell, if you can afford it wardec hungary or someone, occupy Genoa and force them to annul treaties with their scary friends then trucebreak Genoa.

It'll cost some admin but what doesn't.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Rakthar posted:

I haven't tried it but what stops you from booting EU4 with a previous patch that doesn't have the new terrain, like 1.5?

Export CK2 -> Launch EU4 at patchlevel below 1.8 (so probably 1.7 or 1.73) - I believe that was the art of war patch with the new terrain, see how it goes.

I can only successfully launch from 1.5, anything above that crashes when I revert, and when I do, it has all expansions turned on but no mods (including my savefile). Since that version doesn't have a launcher, not really sure what to do about that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

So what's the best army composition for hordes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So what's the best army composition for hordes?

They can have 100% cav in an army so if you can afford that it's probably a good choice

• Locked thread