Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Levantine posted:

Dual play should have been the focus instead of the batmobile, no question. It feels way more like Batman than the giant tank does. I'll admit I enjoy the Batmobile stuff but it doesn't feel very Batman-y.
But that would mean Arkham Batman would have to stop being a giant dick to everyone. Can't do that!

Kin posted:

I did wonder if the original intent was for it to build up gradually like if the enemies come across one of their buddies KO'd their fear level would rise and as a result so would your meter, but that after testing they found it didn't really work because there was an announcer always directing them to the latest body and that the usefulness of the fear takedown would decrease the more guys you silently took out.

It might have made it a lot more complicated (and thus difficult to pull off), but perhaps if you could only begin the fear takedown chain on a guy that was already scared. You could reason that it meant his guard was down, and then that takedown lowers the guards of the subsequent guys you take out with it. That would then introduce a reason for using a load of gadgets on the environment to increase the fear of a particular mook, lure him into range with the rest of his buddies and then use that as a way to take them all out.

It would be very Batmanesque in my opinion.
I think the whole concept of the Fear Takedown kinda forces you to load up your maps with at least a dozen guys cause you can instantly take 5 of them out by doing a knockdown smash to lure them or something. It's gonna make challenge maps in general interesting as they usually don't have more than 8-10 at most in the previous games.

Also your idea at least takes into account the detective mode heartrate counter and stuff too. Not that the game wouldn't already highlight your target for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Enemy fear has always been a thing in the Arkham games, that's why the 'emotional state' descriptor is there in detective mode in the first place. Way back in the days of Arkham Asylum they showed off with pride that you could make your enemies panic by loving with them, which would lead to them doing dumb or bold things to make them easier to take out. Thugs will watch their own backs more, walk faster, creep around etc. when they're distressed and fire randomly at the walls and poo poo when they're panicking. Arkham City gives you big, wide-open predator rooms, which allowed Rocksteady to expand upon this mechanic significantly with things like the thugs watching each others' backs and so on.

Unfortunately, as you say, usually there's an omniscient voice directing the mooks around and so they don't usually get a chance to show this behavior off. As soon as you take someone out, the voice goes "HEY THERE'S A GUY THAT GOT TAKEN OUT", leading to all the mooks stopping whatever they are doing or were about to do. Being able to do fear takedowns only on enemies who are actually afraid of you would've been a pretty good gameplay twist.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The best way to handle the Fear Takedowns would probably be like Mark of the Ninja.

When you kill a guy in that game and someone finds his body, they just go on alert. But if you do it in a noticeable way and lure them to the body (or throw it at them), they freak out and start becoming panicked.

As an unrelated note, you can do a lethal version of Batman's Inverted Takedown in that game. It's even called 'Bat's Prey' as a reference to the Arkham games.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Regarding fear gameplay:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Begins_(video_game)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nckdictator posted:

Help, I'm vaguely excited about a skin.

Really want to play a Burton Batman now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZAk2rfESU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do suicide vests ever come into play outside of that one room?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Do suicide vests ever come into play outside of that one room?
If Rocksteady was smart, yes.

So no.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Haha, just finished the fireman side quest and they put the chief in the goddamn same room as loving Pyg, Two-Face and Firefly. Why why why wouldn't they just put him in the same cell as the Riddler informant if they're that short of space? Stupid. I also can't imagine a Gotham City that's seriously looking at cutting the fire budget. Half that city is on fire at any time.

Also the one watchtower/checkpoint with 3 guys that you can take out with one drone hack was hilarious.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

redbackground posted:

Haha, just finished the fireman side quest and they put the chief in the goddamn same room as loving Pyg, Two-Face and Firefly. Why why why wouldn't they just put him in the same cell as the Riddler informant if they're that short of space? Stupid. I also can't imagine a Gotham City that's seriously looking at cutting the fire budget. Half that city is on fire at any time.

Also the one watchtower/checkpoint with 3 guys that you can take out with one drone hack was hilarious.

The absolute best one is the one with one guy and 3 turrets.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What the hell is the password to defuse the bomb. I've done this 5 times now and I'm losing my sense of humor.

edit thanks youtube

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 15, 2015

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but I'm sad that there's no blue and gray costume option. Respect the classics!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay, I'll admit, I'd like to try out the 1989 batman skin. Too bad I'll only get a chance when (IF) if they fixs the godamn thing by christmas.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow it's over already.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

10 Beers posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but I'm sad that there's no blue and gray costume option. Respect the classics!

The Neal Adams Batman costume is the Constitution Class Refit of Batman costumes. I love that costume.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

plape tickler posted:

Wow it's over already.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'd rather play some buggy stuttery DLC than none at all. :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On my New Game+ I decided to make Scarecrow the first guy I caught (___Stagg____ ruined that), which means this time around there are still some militia guys hanging about once he's been caught. Their chatter shifts from talking about concerns about their changing bosses to all kinds of talk about the Riddler which is hilarious, because they don't seem to grasp who he is or what he does and think all the trophies and deathtraps laid around are part of some kind of Public Art exhibit Gotham is holding this month :3:

"I found the neat green puzzle on the street, but I couldn't figure it out!"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How do complete those checkpoints with multiple drone sentry guns inside them? I can't see a way to complete them since you can't destroy them on foot, only disable one of them, and there's no way to fit that batmobile into the checkpoints to destroy them.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do complete those checkpoints with multiple drone sentry guns inside them? I can't see a way to complete them since you can't destroy them on foot, only disable one of them, and there's no way to fit that batmobile into the checkpoints to destroy them.

Upgrade your disruptor, son.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

It's really, really obvious that Shadow of Mordor had a short development time, the fact that the game is actually good is a testament to how awesome a job the developers did.

The rumor is that it spent most of its development time as a Batman game set in the Nolan movie universe but Nolan pulled out of the project so they went with the LOTR setting instead.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?
Found a neat easter egg hidden in a grate next to the bumper cars in the new DLC.

STARRO!

masteraero fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 15, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

muscles like this? posted:

The rumor is that it spent most of its development time as a Batman game set in the Nolan movie universe but Nolan pulled out of the project so they went with the LOTR setting instead.

Good. I don't see the nemesis system working well in a batman game.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Where is the Steam PC Batgirl DLC? Is it delayed?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

JFC posted:

Yes with not even a hint of when it might come.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes. They decided fixing the PC version as it exists now is more important than shoving out more potentially broken content just because it's done elsewhere.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

JFC posted:

Yeah, the DLC is all delayed. I wouldn't expect it until the fall, which is when they are planning on "relaunching" AK on PC. Which probably means putting a new subtitle and sub number on Steam so it can avoid all those negative reviews. Boo hoo hoo WB.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really don't know why people are still assuming the worst of WB and that they're all a bunch of scumbags when they are literally in the process of fixing the game right now at this moment. It is true that the majority of the reason they're doing so is because of the backlash against the game but they could've just said "it works for people who aren't having problems so oh well" and not done anything. But they didn't do that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

On my New Game+ I decided to make Scarecrow the first guy I caught (___Stagg____ ruined that), which means this time around there are still some militia guys hanging about once he's been caught. Their chatter shifts from talking about concerns about their changing bosses to all kinds of talk about the Riddler which is hilarious, because they don't seem to grasp who he is or what he does and think all the trophies and deathtraps laid around are part of some kind of Public Art exhibit Gotham is holding this month :3:

"I found the neat green puzzle on the street, but I couldn't figure it out!"

I love how consistently the Riddler is treated as a laughing stock. :allears:

A lot of these checkpoints have ways to lower the defense shields or can be fired upon at an angle from elsewhere in the city. Failing that yeah, upgrade the disruptor and those cannons be made to explode anyone nearby when they try to fire.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Every single one that I came across had a way for the Batmobile to blow them up. So look around for higher angles, hackable switches, etc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm halfway done with the Riddler challenges but I'm really not looking forward to finding the rest of the informants I need. It seems like they're much rarer than they were in City, though that map was a lot tighter than Knight's.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm halfway done with the Riddler challenges but I'm really not looking forward to finding the rest of the informants I need. It seems like they're much rarer than they were in City, though that map was a lot tighter than Knight's.

The third island is weirdly stingy with them. Go back to the one with the clocktower and the PD and they'll spawn semi-reliably.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

MrAristocrates posted:

You have to regularly be crackin skulls for them to spawn. Take out some rioters.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I really don't know why people are still assuming the worst of WB and that they're all a bunch of scumbags when they are literally in the process of fixing the game right now at this moment. It is true that the majority of the reason they're doing so is because of the backlash against the game but they could've just said "it works for people who aren't having problems so oh well" and not done anything. But they didn't do that.
You mean despite all the evidence that points to the fact that pretty much everyone involved knew exactly how the PC port was in terms of general performance and stability before the game was released and didn't do anything about it and released it anyway? Or that the fact that QA for the PC build was immensely minimal because ~story spoilers reasons~?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's fair, and like I said, if there wasn't a big backlash against the game they probably wouldn't have done anything about it (thanks, Steam refunds). All I'm saying is that continuing to poo poo on them isn't really worth your time because they acknowledged their mistakes and are actively working to right them.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

CJacobs posted:

That's fair, and like I said, if there wasn't a big backlash against the game they probably wouldn't have done anything about it (thanks, Steam refunds). All I'm saying is that continuing to poo poo on them isn't really worth your time because they acknowledged their mistakes and are actively working to right them.
Well the fact that they had to basically be shamed into fixing the PC port, I won't drat them for fixing it but I sure as heck won't be praising them for it either. But the publisher can specifically burn in hell because the onus is on them for QA usually, and it's not like they were ignorant of the quality of the port in advance. They thought it was acceptable probably in spite of what Rocksteady and Iron Galaxy were probably telling them and probably issued some gag order on discussing the PC port specifically (we didn't learn the details of the PC port until after release).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Norns posted:

Good. I don't see the nemesis system working well in a batman game.

I could see something like it working with Talons in a Night of the Owls game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mogomra posted:

I'd rather play some buggy stuttery DLC than none at all. :negative:

Same. The game runs fairly well for me despite the poor quality of the port, so this is stupid. Just release the poo poo to people who already own the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Goon dialogue continues to be the best thing in the series.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sober posted:

fall, which is when they are planning on "relaunching" AK on PC
They've never said this. People keep misinterpreting the Fall release of the SteamOS, Linux, and Mac versions as applying to the Windows version as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, the debates with the hostages are golden, ahahahhahaha.

• Locked thread