Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

e: Also how much money are we betting that you're a murderer who's still chilling in this house or something?

Terrible segue, everyone should check out 9:05. It's an IF game, maybe 10 minutes long.

It's okay. Kind of a goofy ending (though I only got one), given that you're fighting the text parser the whole way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Trailer for Five Nights at Freddy's 4 is out. It looks like you get to move around the building in this one. :ohdear:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 14, 2015

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Danaru posted:

Trailer for Five Nights at Freddy's 4 is out. It looks like you get to move around the building in this one. :ohdear:

Damnit, those guys made a franchise selling toy bears! And I'm guessing it's "calling" the crew to it.

By the way, Echo Night 2 translation patch came out a few days ago. It's pretty good.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Danaru posted:

Looks like you're a kid. And then in "5reddy: The Final Night" this Christmas, you're a squid.

Seems that my bro Springtrap shrunk and turned into Robbie The Rabbit from Silent Hill when nobody was looking.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 14, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Craptacular! posted:

Looks like you're a kid. And then in "5reddy: The Final Night" this Christmas, you're a squid.

Seems that my bro Springtrap shrunk and turned into Robbie The Rabbit from Silent Hill when nobody was looking.

I would totally kickstart a game combining five night at freddies and Octodad btw.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Five Nights With Octodad. :pervert:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Renoistic posted:

I am itching for a action-y horror game. Should I play The Evil Within or Shadows of the Damned?
How actiony do you want to get? Alien: Isolation has its action moments.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 14, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Renoistic posted:

I am itching for a action-y horror game. Should I play The Evil Within or Shadows of the Damned?

Have you played System Shock 2, insect?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Renoistic posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. The Evil Within has better horror elements but I felt that the gameplay was lackluster in parts, while Shadows of the Damned played better, but it's definitely Suda51's game more than Shinji Mikami's, so it has a more wacky feel.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Danaru posted:

There's a Gamejolt game called Night Blights where you're a kid who has to feed toys to critters hiding under the bed and make sure wardrobe doors are shut to keep them from crawling out and eating the family's faces off. It already has a FNaF survive the night mechanic, so it's funny how the official 4th game seems to have mechanics already in a FNaF-inspired game.

With the early release date word on the street is Scott Cawthon will be offering free DLC on 10/31, the original date of release.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Have you played System Shock 2, insect?

SS2 doesn't scare me these days, but back when I first played it I can admit after making it through the first few minutes readily enough I was hiding in terror from a certain enemy type with an exposed brain. Just from that combination of :wtc: and their kicking my rear end in the first run in with them.

More dangerous, or "Scary" enemies didn't leave the same impression on me as that natural moment of "What the gently caress, was that a- :supaburn:" which is still to the game's credit considering just what enemy I'm talking about.

EDIT: And those fucks did it to me TWICE. "Oh, :smug: I know how to deal with these guys-OH MY loving CHRIST WHAT."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 14, 2015

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
System Shock 2's enemies didn't disturb me or anything (low poly count will do that) but trying to avoid suicidal robots in the cargo bay by listening to their sounds was tense as gently caress. Some of the audio logs are surprisingly effective too.

True horror is going through the body of The Many armed with only a laser pistol and four spare batteries. I knew who the final boss was, so I didn't expect the last gauntlet of the game to be filled with enemies that are resistant to lasers.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 14, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Any good ps3 exclusive horror games? I have basically every other system but I'm wondering if I missed any niche survival horror games or whatnot.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Captain Yossarian posted:

Any good ps3 exclusive horror games? I have basically every other system but I'm wondering if I missed any niche survival horror games or whatnot.

Certain parts of Demons Souls are horror-ish

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The only one that I can think of is Siren Blood Curse.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's true, everything else is on other systems or is more action than horror. I would definitely check out Demon's Souls though.

While it is on the PS1 of course, I would recommend the original Silent Hill if you haven't played it. It's only available as a PS1 disk or as a PSN download. For the PS2 classics there's the first three Fatal Frame games. The first two were originally on Xbox 1/PS2 and the third one was only on PS2.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

CharlestonJew posted:

Certain parts of Demons Souls are horror-ish

Awesome game! :)

Gann Jerrod posted:

The only one that I can think of is Siren Blood Curse.

Will have to check this one out! Is it any good?

Also Neo, I'm definitely gonna have to check out pricing on the Silent Hill ps1 games :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

I would totally kickstart a game combining five night at freddies and Octodad btw.

Octodad takes a part time job at Furedi Fazukuma's Pizza, the Japanese subsidiary. And of course the animatronics think he's a pizza topping! No, Octodad, grab the tablet not the fan!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Captain Yossarian posted:

Will have to check this one out! Is it any good?
Siren can be an incredibly unforgiving game at times, but the story and setting are great.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
This seems like as good a place as any to bring this up; I've been playing The Walking Dead lately and it's really good. Yea, I know, that doesn't surprise anyone, but for a guy who didn't like the show and had worries about a game that is pretty much "point and click" I've been blown away at how good the game/story is.

That being said, I needed a place to vent. I HATE everyone in this game. I just finished episode 2 Season 2 and I want to get Clementine away from everyone and live in seclusion. The second I saw Kenny I knew I was in trouble. The game wants you to feel happy to see him, but I just groaned and wanted to tell my new group to keep on moving; and then ditch them the second I could. I'm not sure if I'm just making terrible decisions all around, but I can seem to find one person who's worth a drat for more than two consecutive episodes.

I don't say any of this as an actual complaint, I think it's a testament to the quality of the writing that I can have this kind of reaction to a videogame. Has there been any news on Season 3? I'm too scared to google it for fear of spoiling season 2 for myself.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In Siren you have to scout for enemies by seeing through their eyes to figure out where they are (and if they can see you) and you also have to understand that most enemies are immortal. They can be knocked down but never permanently killed, barring some unusual situations where you bury them alive or something. So it's pretty challenging.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

This seems like as good a place as any to bring this up; I've been playing The Walking Dead lately and it's really good. Yea, I know, that doesn't surprise anyone, but for a guy who didn't like the show and had worries about a game that is pretty much "point and click" I've been blown away at how good the game/story is.

That being said, I needed a place to vent. I HATE everyone in this game. I just finished episode 2 Season 2 and I want to get Clementine away from everyone and live in seclusion. The second I saw Kenny I knew I was in trouble. The game wants you to feel happy to see him, but I just groaned and wanted to tell my new group to keep on moving; and then ditch them the second I could. I'm not sure if I'm just making terrible decisions all around, but I can seem to find one person who's worth a drat for more than two consecutive episodes.

I don't say any of this as an actual complaint, I think it's a testament to the quality of the writing that I can have this kind of reaction to a videogame. Has there been any news on Season 3? I'm too scared to google it for fear of spoiling season 2 for myself.

Telltale has said that season 3 will be out next year. It will also be larger, whatever that means with regards to an episodic adventure game. Regarding your spoiler (this isnt a game spoiler, just a fan reaction spoiler): pretty much everybody hated the entire season 2 group. They're really bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Siren is the most sadistic, hateful, player-unfriendly game I've seen outside of Sierra adventure titles or something. I beat it with the help of two separate guides used side-by-side and it was still a nightmare.

It's one of the more unique horror titles out there, but yeah, know what you're getting into.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

For Silent Hill 1 pricing, I'm pretty sure PSN has it for around $5 and I got a physical copy secondhand for $15. Once; however, I saw a dude at a flea market trying to sell still-wrapped copies of the "original" run of SH1 for $200 a pop lol.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The best character in Walking Dead Season 2 dies in the first five minutes, and that loving sucks.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Siren is the most sadistic, hateful, player-unfriendly game I've seen outside of Sierra adventure titles or something. I beat it with the help of two separate guides used side-by-side and it was still a nightmare.

It's one of the more unique horror titles out there, but yeah, know what you're getting into.

Siren 1 was pretty obtuse and full of "gently caress you" moments, yeah but Siren 2 and Blood Curse played a lot better. Even if Blood Curse being an Americanized style remake of Siren 1 detracted from the horror a bit.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I keep forgetting that my ps3 can play ps1 games as well, may have to dig through my back catalog of game binders... I HAVE to have a copy of Silent Hill 1...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

The zombie genre is kind of this weird masturbatory exercise of shining a light on the worst of humanity under duress and holding it up as the ideal. If you want to survive you've got to make tough choices, etc. etc. but no, actually, people survive in crises by working together! Romero made it a point to show that selfishness and big egos lead to disaster. But modern zombie fiction idolizes this survivalist, cold mentality and I've grown tired of it. Tragedy makes for good drama but not when it's 99% of the story.

If the show and comic book are anything to go by then further seasons of The Walking Dead video game will be increasingly frustrating scenarios of meeting terrible people and that's what fans of the genre expect. I can't follow it anymore.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

al-azad posted:

The zombie genre is kind of this weird masturbatory exercise of shining a light on the worst of humanity under duress and holding it up as the ideal. If you want to survive you've got to make tough choices, etc. etc. but no, actually, people survive in crises by working together! Romero made it a point to show that selfishness and big egos lead to disaster. But modern zombie fiction idolizes this survivalist, cold mentality and I've grown tired of it. Tragedy makes for good drama but not when it's 99% of the story.

If the show and comic book are anything to go by then further seasons of The Walking Dead video game will be increasingly frustrating scenarios of meeting terrible people and that's what fans of the genre expect. I can't follow it anymore.

I stopped playing Walking Dead after episode 2 became petty argument simulator.

Like yeah Kenny, I supported you and your loving family this whole time, but I try to save the life of some guy you don't like, and suddenly you're hesitating to shoot the guy trying to murder me. gently caress everyone in that game.

From what I heard it gets even worse in the stupid decisions section.

Actually come to think of it, I stopped watching the show after season 2 became petty arguments: the show. Maybe it's something about the series.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danaru posted:

Like yeah Kenny, I supported you and your loving family this whole time, but I try to save the life of some guy you don't like, and suddenly you're hesitating to shoot the guy trying to murder me. gently caress everyone in that game.

Actually come to think of it, I stopped watching the show after season 2 became petty arguments: the show. Maybe it's something about the series.

That's the core of the series and the zombie genre more or less. Season 1 came out at a good time and I enjoyed it for what it was but I'm totally burned out on zombies. I want to see more properties based on rebuilding like a post-zombie apocalypse. What's a stable community like in a world where death = automatic zombie? Does everyone wear Life Alert? Is burying bodies punishable by law? Is the death penalty outlawed because it's cruel and unusual? There's a lot of stories you could write about the postzombpoc.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

That's the core of the series and the zombie genre more or less. Season 1 came out at a good time and I enjoyed it for what it was but I'm totally burned out on zombies. I want to see more properties based on rebuilding like a post-zombie apocalypse. What's a stable community like in a world where death = automatic zombie? Does everyone wear Life Alert? Is burying bodies punishable by law? Is the death penalty outlawed because it's cruel and unusual? There's a lot of stories you could write about the postzombpoc.

That would require Kirkman to have an end in mind. Last I heard it would end when it stopped making money.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

al-azad posted:

Have you read the comic book?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Danaru posted:

You should go back to Season 1 because it overall it does a quality job at not having everyone being one-dimensional assholes and is far better than everything else in the franchise, its a great game.

Season 2 is just dumb nihilism and contrived conflict for the most part though and is the definition of what Al-Azad is talking about, you can just skip it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 16, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Have you read the comic book?

Yeah, and it's increasingly frustrating scenarios of meeting terrible people. I stopped following around issue 50 and I'm glad I did after Kirkman basically said he could go on forever.

I hate to say it because it's also pretty trash but Crossed is a far better execution of the zombie disaster scenario by nature of following different groups each story.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

al-azad posted:

Yeah, and it's increasingly frustrating scenarios of meeting terrible people. I stopped following around issue 50 and I'm glad I did after Kirkman basically said he could go on forever.

I hate to say it because it's also pretty trash but Crossed is a far better execution of the zombie disaster scenario by nature of following different groups each story.

Then you haven't read them rebuilding society and encountering people they can, you know, trust.

e: You still won't like it. There's plenty of awful people in it.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 16, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, just played "Lifeline" on iOS. It starts off as a survival adventure and gets into horror territory pretty fast. Maybe not a groundbreaking story but a pretty good one, lots of little variables. You're just a voice communicating with a distant astronaut student who crashed on a moon.

I managed to get the best possible ending on the first try but there's a lot of ways to get Taylor killed. Completing the game gave me a fast-forward function (most of the game has hour-long pauses between updates, since you are communicating with Taylor "in real time").

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Renoistic posted:

Buy Alien vs Predator Classic on Steam for $5 or whatever it's selling for right now, play the Marine campaign, poop your pants.

Edit -- alternately, Dead Space

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Dead Space 1 is very good combination of action and horror that don't dilute each other.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

On that tangent, have they announced Dead Space 4 yet? If not, why not? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speedball posted:

Well, just played "Lifeline" on iOS. It starts off as a survival adventure and gets into horror territory pretty fast. Maybe not a groundbreaking story but a pretty good one, lots of little variables. You're just a voice communicating with a distant astronaut student who crashed on a moon.

I managed to get the best possible ending on the first try but there's a lot of ways to get Taylor killed. Completing the game gave me a fast-forward function (most of the game has hour-long pauses between updates, since you are communicating with Taylor "in real time").

At first I thought you were talking about the "Greatest Hit" Lifeline on the PS2, a survival horror game where you play by yelling commands at a cocktail waitress while watching her through the myriad of scan-and-pan surveillance cameras placed at every odd angle.

Xenomrph posted:

On that tangent, have they announced Dead Space 4 yet? If not, why not? :colbert:

Dead Space is dead. They turned it into Lost Planet 4 and nobody bought it so EA was pretty quick to move Visceral onto something else. Maybe it'll return as a VR rail shooter with micropayments but right now Star Wars hype is about to reach its peak and EA is poised to get a poo poo ton of dough crapping out games.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 16, 2015